Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Did a 3 hour session with two other friends once the US servers came back up. Some of the most fun I've had in a while.

"Disliking a product" is a lot different from "merchant selling defective merchandise".

You can most certainly dispute a product if it doesn't work like it's supposed to and the seller refuses to do a refund. There is no clause in Visa's dispute rules that says "You have to give a developer some time to patch it and buy more server bandwidth before you can dispute the transaction".

If they're going to have Ubisoft-style always online DRM, it sure as hell better work flawlessly. They could have just gave the game a single player element or LAN and I could have just patiently waited playing single player or Hamachi, but nooooo. They insist that you're always online to play (even if they won't keep up their end of the bargain and always be online). Yeah screw that.

Correct. This near-debacle falls squarely under terms of a defective product (at least for cards like Amex and Visa). You can't use the product due to a deficiency, for Christ sake.

And yes, there are plenty of people holding off buying this game: a) to see if issues are resolved b) waiting for a review consensus. Additionally, this "online all the time" does not sit right at all with a lot of people. What if my network goes down? What if I'm traveling? Not being able to play a game unless you're o line is arbitrary and restrictive. I can't believe people are starting to accept this as a norm. Years ago, when D1 and D2 were released, most gamers would have found this restriction absurd. It's as if by buying this game, you're giving up what was once an unalienable freedom -- so those of you playing (or trying to play) Diablo 3 now, ask yourself this: why do you hate freedom? :)

Got to play a whole 20 minutes all day. I work in infrastructure, manage data centers and application uptime on all my systems. If something like this happened under my watch, I wouldn't have a job.

I'm dumb founded that ANY company in the world has to completely down a system to perform any kind of maintenance. It proves to me that their infrastructure teams are inept, and this isn't an accident. They build systems, they test load and they prepare for months before something like this. And no failure of any kind should mean taking everything down for 'maintenance' of any kind.

Its very unprofessional, forget the customers for a second and their rage. The idea that the staff is ok with taking the system offline is laughable.. and the furthest thing from professional.

edit. Just saw a Tweet that they'll be down for 2 more hours! lol http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149175175

Also, guarantee guys that every server they are running is virtual. This is a good thing, easy to control expand etc.. My guess is this has nothing to do with server load, they could leave servers online and bleed in new virtual servers in a matter of hours to compensate. My guess is severe data base overload, blocked spIDs in SQL from millions of users locking SQL tables with authentication requests. The only reason you take down everything is when the one thing they all connect into has to be downed ...

... the database cluster(s). Bet money on serious database issues, rescripting fixes that once deployed can take several hours to then replicate throughout the cluster. You cannot let users into the system until anything non blob data has finished replicating. Thats why they can say 2 hours, because they're expecting it done in the next 30 but are giving themselves enough time to test afterwards to ensure everything is functional.

What industry are you in that has 100% uptime? I've seen hosting services, credit card networks, phone services, game servers, major retail websites, and even netflix go down for hours at a time. Is it annoying? Hell yeah. Does the world keep revolving? Yes it does. This issue is entirely blizzards fault, there's no doubt about that. Even if it takes 3 days to fix, and for the rest of the year they have 0 issues, they can still hit 99% uptime.

It's been 1 day, I'll cut them some slack. If this is a rampant issue for weeks and months, then raging will ensue.

Correct. This near-debacle falls squarely under terms of a defective product (at least for cards like Amex and Visa). You can't use the product due to a deficiency, for Christ sake.

And yes, there are plenty of people holding off buying this game: a) to see if issues are resolved b) waiting for a review consensus. Additionally, this "online all the time" does not sit right at all with a lot of people. What if my network goes down? What if I'm traveling? Not being able to play a game unless you're o line is arbitrary and restrictive. I can't believe people are starting to accept this as a norm. Years ago, when D1 and D2 were released, most gamers would have found this restriction absurd. It's as if by buying this game, you're giving up what was once an unalienable freedom -- so those of you playing (or trying to play) Diablo 3 now, ask yourself this: why do you hate freedom? :)

As someone else pointed out... "people on the internet complaining about a game that requires internet"

Nevertheless... they could always buy the console port when its ready... lmao

I do feel for the military people though.

Got a bunch more hours in today (so far), finished Act 3. The Witch Doctor is awesome and the cinematics are great. Haven't encountered many server errors aside from the first 2 hours of release and a couple last night, no big deal. Blizzard gets their shit sorted out pretty quickly, I'm willing to bet we'll have more-stable servers before the weekend.

Took a break last night after hitting level 12 with my Witch Doctor. Much fun. Great class. Found some rare items and for the life of me couldnt figure out how to identify them....was looking for someone or something, then just right clicked the item and "OH", that's all you have to do.

Did that aswell :)

I am looking for a spare starter key as well. I have ordered a box, but wont receive it until Friday.

I understand the frustration with needing to be online, particularly as I travel a fair amount, but to be honest at least here it makes sense. This isn't Assassin's Creed, or another purely SP game - D3 is a loot-driven game, and it would be fundamentally broken if you gave people the opportunity to mess with stats offline and find ways to bring them online (think about Diablo I MP).

Now I suppose you could argue that the game should have an offline component which should be entirely separate from the online, but ultimately I (and my guess would be most other people) wouldn't want to waste my time on character progression that wouldn't be carried over to the MP.

As for the moaning about day one issues, although the downtime is nuisance it's not exactly a surprise. Anecdotally I didn't have any issues logging in at 5am EST and then again at 6.30pm EST, so didn't experience the issues, but anyone trying to log in at 3am EST must have expected this. No, it's not fun, and yes, it shouldn't have happened given the anticipation, but I think ultimately we all have many more pressing things in our lives than to worry about why Diablo 3 was difficult to log into at 3am on launch day.

Got my DH up to level 21, while playing with 3 other buddies and bsing on Skype. It was a lot of fun, I really like the difficulty in normal with 4 people, but anything less is kinda meh... Solo play is just too easy. Looking forward to getting to Nightmare difficulty its supposed to be brutal..

could use a spare key also for a friend on the fence about getting it. If anyone can spare one.

Considering picking this up but I can't remember the last game I paid full price for. Most expensive PC game I remember buying recently was BF3 pre-order for $25....

Decisions.

Anyway, if anyone has a spare guest pass, I would be glad to relieve you of it :)

For those that played it, do you foresee a very high number of players sticking to the game for a while like D2? Or will people start to move on after beating it a couple times?

You're joking, I do hope. A dispute with your credit card is not meant for you disliking a product, or it having some downtime as is the norm for this type of product.

God the self-centered rage of some people is over the top. Yes the game's having issues at the moment, but yes, they're working on it. I'm sure sh*t has come up and it's baffling even them. It happens. Relax.

You think the people doing the maintenance and bug fixes have it easy? Far from it. In fact when we (those in the game design world) read some of the comments people post directing their useless rage towards us, when unexplained things happen, we laugh. Then we take longer to fix it.

quadnad said:
I understand the frustration with needing to be online, particularly as I travel a fair amount, but to be honest at least here it makes sense. This isn't Assassin's Creed, or another purely SP game - D3 is a loot-driven game, and it would be fundamentally broken if you gave people the opportunity to mess with stats offline and find ways to bring them online (think about Diablo I MP).

Now I suppose you could argue that the game should have an offline component which should be entirely separate from the online, but ultimately I (and my guess would be most other people) wouldn't want to waste my time on character progression that wouldn't be carried over to the MP.

As for the moaning about day one issues, although the downtime is nuisance it's not exactly a surprise. Anecdotally I didn't have any issues logging in at 5am EST and then again at 6.30pm EST, so didn't experience the issues, but anyone trying to log in at 3am EST must have expected this. No, it's not fun, and yes, it shouldn't have happened given the anticipation, but I think ultimately we all have many more pressing things in our lives than to worry about why Diablo 3 was difficult to log into at 3am on launch day.

Couldn't agree with you more.

qwertyaas said:
Considering picking this up but I can't remember the last game I paid full price for. Most expensive PC game I remember buying recently was BF3 pre-order for $25....

Decisions.

Anyway, if anyone has a spare guest pass, I would be glad to relieve you of it

For those that played it, do you foresee a very high number of players sticking to the game for a while like D2? Or will people start to move on after beating it a couple times?

My 2 cents, it's worth it. The reason it's worth it is because I have dedicated people to play with every single night.

Finally got some playing time in last night and this morning before I went to work ... loving the game so far although system lag was bad this morning and I had to turn of vsync and down my resolution to 1920x1200 to prevent my Barbarian from getting swarmed and dying all the time ...

unfortunately I was plagued with computer and client problems yesterday that prevented me from getting any playtime until later last night ... my new GTX 670 card I bought for the game is bad so I am trying to RMA that with EVGA (so I am back on my GTX 570) ...

and I ran into a weird bug where the game showed me as a "Starter Edition" instead of the CE I installed. I reinstalled before I found a battnet posting that said to change the password on my BN account and that worked so my game became a full edition ...

Hopefully I can sneak out of the office a little early and get more playing time tonight ... trying to get as much in as possible since I will be on a business trip all next week and my work laptop isn't up to playing D3

What industry are you in that has 100% uptime? I've seen hosting services, credit card networks, phone services, game servers, major retail websites, and even netflix go down for hours at a time. Is it annoying? Hell yeah. Does the world keep revolving? Yes it does. This issue is entirely blizzards fault, there's no doubt about that. Even if it takes 3 days to fix, and for the rest of the year they have 0 issues, they can still hit 99% uptime.

It's been 1 day, I'll cut them some slack. If this is a rampant issue for weeks and months, then raging will ensue.

In a lot of industries there is an expectation of at least 5 9's of up time for critical systems. That's 5 minutes a year that is acceptable for downtime. It costs crazy money to do that but when you literally lose 100's of thousands of dollars for each minute you are down it's a drop in the ocean. A lot of that is in the banking industry, etc. I'm cutting blizzard a lot of slack but yesterday was embarassing.

That said, I expect they've got a lot of the bugs worked out and the loads won't be nearly as crazy as yesterday. By next week we will all be too busy loot farming to be concerned about the poor launch.

Finally got some playing time in last night and this morning before I went to work ... loving the game so far although system lag was bad this morning and I had to turn of vsync and down my resolution to 1920x1200 to prevent my Barbarian from getting swarmed and dying all the time ...

unfortunately I was plagued with computer and client problems yesterday that prevented me from getting any playtime until later last night ... my new GTX 670 card I bought for the game is bad so I am trying to RMA that with EVGA (so I am back on my GTX 570) ...

and I ran into a weird bug where the game showed me as a "Starter Edition" instead of the CE I installed. I reinstalled before I found a battnet posting that said to change the password on my BN account and that worked so my game became a full edition ...

Hopefully I can sneak out of the office a little early and get more playing time tonight ... trying to get as much in as possible since I will be on a business trip all next week and my work laptop isn't up to playing D3

That's awful man, hopefully you get some actual playing time in before that trip!

Also, weird issue with the VSYNC for me as well, I noticed I was getting inconsistent performance with it OFF, once I turned it ON, everything was ridiculously smooth. Was the same in beta for me as well. Odd, because I usually have issues with VSYNC in games.

I woke up early and got my wizard to 11, a little past the beta area.

Habitually I gravitated towards MF instead of Gold find. 33% MF and like 10%GF, I think I need to stack more GF until my blacksmith is well leveled.

I have a hunch boss kills first time drop a yellow every time, I noticed that in beta too. Subsequent farming yields only magic items. We'll see if my hunch is correct when I bring my other chars up to speed.

I woke up early and got my wizard to 11, a little past the beta area.

Habitually I gravitated towards MF instead of Gold find. 33% MF and like 10%GF, I think I need to stack more GF until my blacksmith is well leveled.

I have a hunch boss kills first time drop a yellow every time, I noticed that in beta too. Subsequent farming yields only magic items. We'll see if my hunch is correct when I bring my other chars up to speed.

I've been going GF% crazy. I like money though. Have another friend who's going the MF% route, so it kind of levels out, then another buddy in the same party who's doing both. I know that everything stacks in the server room, but I just can't help getting the cash, hah.

I've been going GF% crazy. I like money though. Have another friend who's going the MF% route, so it kind of levels out, then another buddy in the same party who's doing both. I know that everything stacks in the server room, but I just can't help getting the cash, hah.

I heard it's an average of the party so having others with 0% GF might be detrimental.

I've been having a blast with two other buddies. I've been trying to get my cousin to play but he is cheap and won't play without a demo. Anybody here have a spare starter key you could PM me?

Thanks!

What a clusteruck of a launch. Seems Blizzard apologists are some of the very worst in the gaming community as well.

What a clusteruck of a launch. Seems Blizzard apologists are some of the very worst in the gaming community as well.

I'm fortunate enough to not have been around for the immediate launch and the down-time, thank god for 'work' eh?

I'm fortunate enough to not have been around for the immediate launch and the down-time, thank god for 'work' eh?

I 'spose :). You can go back several pages and see the usual suspects saying this very thing would not happen because Blizzard only releases polished games and they are the kings of running servers, then it does happen and they march around the forums like a Haitian death squad shouting down anyone who is having trouble.

It's been a while since I played D2 with any regularity, I just hope this isn't what the bnet community has become.

Finally had time this morning to start a character.

Had no issues logging in, but I do get 400ms ping which is pretty annoying. After 1hour I noticed the bar was green... hovered over it.. 300ms.

So It seems that 300ms is "Green bar ping" material lol... Everything I click has a lag. Not really an "issue". But very annoying. I find myself clicking on everything 3-4times just because my brain thinks the click hasn't registered. (I'm not very patient)

in Australia with 230ms ping, so it might just be ... teething issues or something on the server.

there's only been a few times where i've been hijacked and returned a few seconds back due to network lag, i.e. running through/up staircases, etc.

t'was worse in the beta :0, youd enter a zone, and get booted right back to tristam/checkpoints.

just taking it casual until the RMAH pops up and D3 turns into something .. evil ?

So any known way to increase the delay when you hover over with your mouse? Not digging the whole instant pop-up thing. Could've swore it was different in the beta.

PM me for a guest pass. Don't have a lot. Will send in order of PM received.

I tried to send you a PM, but somehow I cannot find the PM under "Sent Messages", so I am not sure if you received a PM from me?

This is true. You are guaranteed at least 1 rare on boss kills the first time and most of the time you will get 2 or 3. After the first kill the boss goes back to normal drop rates.

3 guest passes here first 3 to pm me.

PMed! :D

I guess in the end for me it's either this or GW2. Since this game has a headstart, it may just win out.

Is playing with randoms as horrible as it usually is or is it not as bad on D3?

Edit: Got a key from newster. Thanks!

Last edited:
PMed! :D

I guess in the end for me it's either this or GW2. Since this game has a headstart, it may just win out.

Is playing with randoms as horrible as it usually is or is it not as bad on D3?

Seems to me like it would kind of be a crap-shoot. People tend to move fast through these types of games, so I'd recommend grabbing 2-3 friends and doing it that way. Not really a random-oriented game I'd say.

Back