Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I just wish this game didn't come with the AH, but that's impossible, because they want to make more money. It's really unfortunate that you can just buy all your gear. That's not playing Diablo 3, that's playing Auction House 3. I want to hunt for my items by killing bosses, not having to rely on the AH. I play with 6-8 real life friends and all of us are getting bored very quickly. Two have already stopped playing. I still like to think it's all because of the Auction House. Had item drop rates and itemization been like they were in Diablo 2, I'd still be hunting for gear like a maniac.

I'd like to think I'm qualified to speak negatively of the Auction House as well. I have farmed easily over 50M in gold on the Auction House, and every single item I have is worth no less than 2 million gold (some, like my claw and shield 5M+). I did all my farming in the AH because it was more lucrative, and as sad as it is, more fun than hunting for gear in this game. Last time I checked, there was no item of mine left to upgrade from the items currently available in the AH. I have 10M gold sitting on my character with nothing to spend it on. Basically I'm telling you this not to brag (because really, how hard is it to quickly buy an underpriced item and resell it?), but to let you know I used the AH to its full advantage and still I'd rather have no AH.

Regardless, my characters have a combined 50 hours of playtime and I'd like to think the $1/hr. of entertainment was worth the purchase. That 50 hours is just a speck compared to what I had in D2 however, and even replaying it recently (in anticipation of D3), I had over 50 hours with my friends. It's just the damn auction house (which, since item drops are built around the idea of the auction house: itemization too). I have no issues with difficulty of Inferno or skills, or any other aspects of the game.

Honestly though, if you are not even in Act2 Inferno and are thinking of picking my post apart, don't bother. Have fun now, because when you're in Inferno, you'll need to buy gear on the AH to survive.

Just my 2 cents. (I am sitting here bored at work which is the only reason I took the time to write this out) :p

On a non-negative note, I really suggest stacking life on hit. That shit is amazing. I sat there face-to-face with Inferno Diablo punching his nasty face into the ground, healing up from his attacks with just using my attacks.

Last edited:
I agree with everything except consolized. I hear it once in a while re: DIII, but it just doesn't apply. I mean, there are more than a few graphics options (compared to Crysis2, for example), the menues are VERY unfriendly to a gamepad, and tbh, I don't think you could play DIII on a console. You couldn't aim abilities at all...

I'm suspicious of the 4+2 setup after looking at other games like this where you have a large host of spells to click on/keep active always. This game could be over on a console in a min with: X, Square, Triangle, Circle, and trigger r1 + trigger r2 as primary and secondary attacks + Analog stick for moving. Or something like that. In fact the UI is so drastically different from earlier videos I wouldn’t be too surprised if it did trickle to consoles once they get sewage pipe feeding the AH unclogged.

It’s a PC game with minimalistic controls that scream console compatibility, so unless blizz thinks we are sheep and want someone to do the thinking for us, which I don’t buy, then explain the insanely small amount of active skills that require constantly switching out. I won’t be surprised if it does come out on console an then I’ll know why I have play “Billy’s First Dungeon Crawler” –sick of switching skills out and having a cool down… I bet the infectious puss dripping diseased lump of flesh that is Wow PvP is fueling these design choices, they painted themselves into a corner with Wow in many ways so why not this game too?:mad:

I'm suspicious of the 4+2 setup after looking at other games like this where you have a large host of spells to click on/keep active always. This game could be over on a console in a min with: X, Square, Triangle, Circle, and trigger r1 + trigger r2 as primary and secondary attacks + Analog stick for moving. Or something like that. In fact the UI is so drastically different from earlier videos I wouldn’t be too surprised if it did trickle to consoles once they get sewage pipe feeding the AH unclogged.

It’s a PC game with minimalistic controls that scream console compatibility, so unless blizz thinks we are sheep and want someone to do the thinking for us, which I don’t buy, then explain the insanely small amount of active skills that require constantly switching out. I won’t be surprised if it does come out on console an then I’ll know why I have play “Billy’s First Dungeon Crawler” –sick of switching skills out and having a cool down… I bet the infectious puss dripping diseased lump of flesh that is Wow PvP is fueling these design choices, they painted themselves into a corner with Wow in many ways so why not this game too?:mad:

Looking at the number of skills is the most naive way to go about it. Modred189 is right, aiming skills is a problem that the devs openly acknowledged when designing the game for consoles and it may very well still be a problem today. They say they want the console version to feel like it was designed for consoles and I think aiming will continue to be a problem if you have to resort to the analog sticks or something. I mean try aiming a spell like Blizzard in a pinch in Inferno with a stick.

But considering how open they are about the console development, they may go ahead and move forward with it. IDK if Blizz is willing to scrap entire projects due to unmet standards anymore, but we'll see.

Alright, got Inf butcher on farm now.

30k HP, 300 res, 4k armor and 20k DPS. So far only minion immunity bastards own me. 5 stacks of valor nets around 4-5 yellow drops, not bad at all.

I wonder why it took them all day to update a game about 1% as large and complex as an actual MMO.

I agree with everything except consolized. I hear it once in a while re: DIII, but it just doesn't apply. I mean, there are more than a few graphics options (compared to Crysis2, for example), the menues are VERY unfriendly to a gamepad, and tbh, I don't think you could play DIII on a console. You couldn't aim abilities at all...

It wouldn't be [H] without something being consolized.

I wonder why it took them all day to update a game about 1% as large and complex as an actual MMO.

I was always confused about this after Rift came out. Rift's patch days were 45 minutes down time and were usually huge content patches. 45 minutes. It blew my mind why these games need 6+ hours after that. :confused:

I am not a developer nor do I manage servers so I don't try to guess though.

HhdOS.png

Interestingly, and possibly RNG boon, I've had 5 rares in 12 minutes of playing since patch. One was good enough to use!

I'd like to think I'm qualified to speak negatively of the Auction House as well. I have farmed easily over 50M in gold on the Auction House, and every single item I have is worth no less than 2 million gold (some, like my claw and shield 5M+). I did all my farming in the AH because it was more lucrative, and as sad as it is, more fun than hunting for gear in this game. Last time I checked, there was no item of mine left to upgrade from the items currently available in the AH. I have 10M gold sitting on my character with nothing to spend it on. Basically I'm telling you this not to brag (because really, how hard is it to quickly buy an underpriced item and resell it?), but to let you know I used the AH to its full advantage and still I'd rather have no AH.

It's a valid opinion but the truth is the AH actually encourages people to look for items, I think if anything it is helpful. I get more value for my items than I would with the in game merchant.

Error 37, cant even log in to play the game i paid for! thank you blizzard, your system is so fantastic!

I love this game but honestly getting Error 37's due to servers being overloaded two weeks after launch is really unacceptable. Blizzard really needs to get their poop together pronto.

Auction house is awesome right now, just did a search and found page after page of something along the lines of [ph]this should be replaced with txt

I just wish this game didn't come with the AH, but that's impossible, because they want to make more money. It's really unfortunate that you can just buy all your gear. That's not playing Diablo 3, that's playing Auction House 3. I want to hunt for my items by killing bosses, not having to rely on the AH. I play with 6-8 real life friends and all of us are getting bored very quickly. Two have already stopped playing. I still like to think it's all because of the Auction House. Had item drop rates and itemization been like they were in Diablo 2, I'd still be hunting for gear like a maniac.

Regardless, my characters have a combined 50 hours of playtime and I'd like to think the $1/hr. of entertainment was worth the purchase. That 50 hours is just a speck compared to what I had in D2 however, and even replaying it recently (in anticipation of D3), I had over 50 hours with my friends. It's just the damn auction house (which, since item drops are built around the idea of the auction house: itemization too). I have no issues with difficulty of Inferno or skills, or any other aspects of the game.

Honestly though, if you are not even in Act2 Inferno and are thinking of picking my post apart, don't bother. Have fun now, because when you're in Inferno, you'll need to buy gear on the AH to survive.

Just my 2 cents. (I am sitting here bored at work which is the only reason I took the time to write this out) :p

On a non-negative note, I really suggest stacking life on hit. That shit is amazing. I sat there face-to-face with Inferno Diablo punching his nasty face into the ground, healing up from his attacks with just using my attacks.

Can I have some of your gold?

So...gotta be honest, not enjoying playing too much in hell. Constant death to blue packs...I can't even seem to kite anymore, did they change something in this pack? Everything runs fast enough to hit me constantly. 25k HP, 1.3k armor, 9k DPS @ level 57 wizard.

well your armor rating is a bit low.. im rocking over 3k armor in hell and over 13k dps and its not too bad.

So...gotta be honest, not enjoying playing too much in hell. Constant death to blue packs...I can't even seem to kite anymore, did they change something in this pack? Everything runs fast enough to hit me constantly. 25k HP, 1.3k armor, 9k DPS @ level 57 wizard.

What's your build? That's probably the issue. Hell is pretty much a joke compared to inferno.

Trying to solo barbarian in inferno is pretty dumb. There's no way in hell (oh look a pun) you can gear up for inferno. I don't care how many act IV runs you do, you have to go to the auction house and spend all your money to die in 10 seconds instead of 5. In act 1 of inferno i only get lvl 54-59 drops, all of which suck. Fast molten teleporting damage reflecting elite packs are awful. I can only play with my friends who are ranged dps. Sigh, thats with 40K life, 3K armor, 11K damage.

Trying to solo barbarian in inferno is pretty dumb. There's no way in hell (oh look a pun) you can gear up for inferno. I don't care how many act IV runs you do, you have to go to the auction house and spend all your money to die in 10 seconds instead of 5. In act 1 of inferno i only get lvl 54-59 drops, all of which suck. Fast molten teleporting damage reflecting elite packs are awful. I can only play with my friends who are ranged dps. Sigh, thats with 40K life, 3K armor, 11K damage.

And pray tell what are your resists? :p

Act1 is a cakewalk compared to Act2.

I've got a stupid question about DPS:

If I have a 1 hand wand with 725 dps on the weapon stat, which includes 18% attack speed increase and I upgrade to a 840 dps wand which doesn't have the attack speed bonus, my overall dps goes up. Does that mean the attack speed is already counted in the 725 dps weapon's numbers?

Would there be a benefit in going with the lower dps weapon here? Debating which one I should return to the auction house.

Thanks!

I've got a stupid question about DPS:

If I have a 1 hand wand with 725 dps on the weapon stat, which includes 18% attack speed increase and I upgrade to a 840 dps wand which doesn't have the attack speed bonus, my overall dps goes up. Does that mean the attack speed is already counted in the 725 dps weapon's numbers?
Yes.

Would there be a benefit in going with the lower dps weapon here? Debating which one I should return to the auction house.
Depends on how much you value quicker attack speed. If I was debating on a 850 dps with 1.6 aspd vs. 800 with 1.2 as a Monk, I'd choose the 800 just due to quicker spirit regen. I wouldn't go as low as 725 even with quick attack speed though.

Yes.

Depends on how much you value quicker attack speed. If I was debating on a 850 dps with 1.6 aspd vs. 800 with 1.2 as a Monk, I'd choose the 800 just due to quicker spirit regen. I wouldn't go as low as 725 even with quick attack speed though.

Thanks Skizzy, I knew I could count on one of our resident Inferno busters to chimes in. ;)

hmmmm, im soloing act one Inferno as we speak with a Barb. not much more difficult than hell tbh. I don't even have any items equipped that i bought from the auction house. Only had to pass up one elite mob too, it was in that khazra compound and he had 8 minions instead of four, arcane, frozen and molten. pretty rediculous combo.

52K health
1267 STR
1279 Vit
6K armor

Actually, I am not sure attack speed is counted in the weapon dps.

Id have to test again, but I did a little experiment. I took a weapon like a spear with 1.20 attack speed that had higher dps vs an axe with like 1.40 attack speed and was quite a bit lower dps and I remember the axe with low dps gave me the highest overall damage....

Actually, I am not sure attack speed is counted in the weapon dps.

Id have to test again, but I did a little experiment. I took a weapon like a spear with 1.20 attack speed that had higher dps vs an axe with like 1.40 attack speed and was quite a bit lower dps and I remember the axe with low dps gave me the highest overall damage....

Just tried something out based on your post. Bought two shitty weapons and had an experiment.

nZVQB.png

While the DPS difference is extremely minimal in this particular situation, the outcome is interesting. I'll try to find a weapon that has atk spd% on it next.

See, told you. :p

If the attack speed was in dps, your dps shouldnt be higher with the lower damage weapon.

Because of this, and probably why all the 1.20 damage weapons sell for super cheap on AH, I tend to stay away from 1.20 AS weapons.

When you use skills that compound your damage, like wiz's 'magic weapon', the difference can be decent.

On another note, any chance youd sell that sword to me? :) Thats better than mine. : /

Here's another one with an item actually having %IAS in it.

3nT2y.png

The attack speed difference is huge, but the damage difference really isn't much (if there even is a difference. Note the .01 difference in DPS).

On another note, any chance youd sell that sword to me? :) Thats better than mine. : /
Sure, add me: skiz#1242.

Thanks skizz. :p

And ya, I guess it just depends. If you got a character who has skills that compound damage, those small differences can be decent.

Anyways, its a good thing to know. Id bet the majority of D3 players dont know that.

Here's another one with an item actually having %IAS in it.

3nT2y.png

The attack speed difference is huge, but the damage difference really isn't much (if there even is a difference. Note the .01 difference in DPS).

It's not the %IAS that is making the difference, it's the fact that any flat damage bonuses you're getting from other items benefit fast weapons more than slow weapons, yielding a higher net DPS regardless of the DPS figures on the weapons.

Here's a wrench to throw in the works: WDs and their spider jars.

Sure, DPS is nice, BUT, with spider jars, the idea is to saturate the ground with spiders as quickly as possible. I just blew $20k on a spear that does 50 more dps as an older axe, yet I am finding it harder to play because I can't get the ground saturation up as fast. As such, my mana regen suffers. So though my weapon's dps is higher, my overall dps (including mobs and spiders) ramps slower, and I can't spam my burst AOEs as much (love acid cloud), so I'm less effective.

This despite the fact that once I DO saturate, I am doing more damage.

Interestingly, and possibly RNG boon, I've had 5 rares in 12 minutes of playing since patch. One was good enough to use!

I was playing last night and most of the drops were weapons that were 2 to 5 levels higher than I was.
Was running around Act2 nightmare with a buddy and his level 45 barbarian. I had my level 32 dh and just hung back with some cover fire since I was so much weaker than the enemies and let my frien do most of the killing. Played for about an hour, died about a dozen times but got 1.5 levels in that time.

I need to figure out how to configure my dh properly.

Back