Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Rolled DH.

Monk is impossible in Inferno without Act 3 gear.

I was in a group with 2 wiz and 1 DH... We wiped Act1 without a single death, simply due to their DPS.

I would tank (33k hp, 350 resists, 4.5k armor, 17.5k dps) just enough for them to DPS things. I tried it solo afterwards and got face wiped by most elite packs.

Just not fun as a melee...

I messed around with a blizzard / arcane hydra kiting build in Act 2 Inferno today. I was doing pretty well, even 4 stacking valor before running into a wall. Though the kiting was working well, it seems that Blizzard has implemented a "death dot" to be automatically placed on your character if the mob that you are fighting is still alive after a certain length of time (felt like six minutes or so). Anyone else experience this? I want to say that it takes off 5k hp a second as it burns through my Diamond Skin in 3 or 4 seconds.

I run into that a lot and it sucks. I'm playing the game like I want leave me alone Blizzard. That is almost as irritating as invulnerable minions. Really...totally invulnerable minions. THAT IS SICK!

Just reading the past five or six pages made me realize I have no idea how to play this game. I have three characters in nightmare act II and your guys level of understanding on the play mechanics and stats are amazing.

I'm glad they're working to make the difficulty in Inferno less 'peaky' with respect to the damage mobs deal.

I finally got to Inferno this weekend, lvl 60 DH. Also had two legendaries drop for me (the only ones so far) - one a wizard hat and the other a helm which I'm actually using (Mempo of Twilight). 33-ish DPS with 42-ish HP. Need to farm gold like there's no tomorrow so I can get the higher end bows, should get another 100 base weapon DPS from that.

i have act 1 inferno on farm with my monk, but act 2 is pretty crazy cant really progress in it.

I've been working on my progress strategy, which seems to work quite well for advancement. You need the invulnerability skill, earth summon, the mantra of healing (with spirit regen), the passive skill which gives you hp for using spirit, and extremely high dexterity.

You most likely can't take on elites, so don't even bother trying. Instead, the goal is to clear portions of the map, so you can see where you need to go, and lead any elites to an area away (preferably trapped in a room or corner of the map) and let them kill you. Respawn, repeat and move forward until you can hit the boss room. Then, let your earth summon and follower kill the boss while you keep running away and using invulnerability (make sure to have the extended time on it) if things get hairy. Yeah, the earth summon won't last long, but it has almost no cooldown time, and will barely cost any spirit. I'm warning you though, the boss battles will last 45+ minutes, but at least they're passable with the monk (if you don't have the necessary gear that is).

Rolled DH.

I was in a group with 2 wiz and 1 DH... We wiped Act1 without a single death, simply due to their DPS.

I would tank (33k hp, 350 resists, 4.5k armor, 17.5k dps) just enough for them to DPS things. I tried it solo afterwards and got face wiped by most elite packs.

Just not fun as a melee...

Act 1 I was pushing 300 resist on my Wizard when I cleared it. I started progressing through act 2 with 500-600. I was up to 900 when I reached the boss. Armor and resist didnt help me on the boss though (went pure dps), but I couldnt have survived the act 2 progression without high resist, even as a ranged kiter.

Managed to beat the butcher last night on Inferno with my Wizard. Started act 2 but could not get passed the starting area, where you go through the canyon place. Those Lucini hit me for 46k. Nothing I can do, and they firebomb.

Going to farm the end of Act 1 for a bit to get gold/gear(hopefully).

They always do maintenance on Tuesdays (looks like they adopted the exact same WOW schedule...), it's not just for the update.

Managed to beat the butcher last night on Inferno with my Wizard. Started act 2 but could not get passed the starting area, where you go through the canyon place. Those Lucini hit me for 46k. Nothing I can do, and they firebomb.

Going to farm the end of Act 1 for a bit to get gold/gear(hopefully).

Act 1 Inferno is rather tame compared to the rest of it. The good news is that butcher is very farmable. My group felt the same way when we entered Act 2, then we realized our play style had to change completely. You literally cannot get hit at all. Then the whole death is meaningless comes into play. This seems to be the biggest advantage of being in a group... simply chain ressing and graveyard hopping back into action.

Originally Posted by BDV
Rolled DH.

Just not fun as a melee..

The monk in our group can faceroll Act 1, but you definitely need to be geared (he's at ~550 resist all with 30k dps, but he was farming it with much less than that). Even my newly 60 Barb face rolled through it. You need to find the right gear on the AH without spending a ton of gold. I definitely didn't splurge on my Barb and he can get through Act 2 by himself right now without too much trouble.

To farm in Inferno, there are basically two main spots:
1. Act 1 Butcher
2. Act 3 Siege Breaker

Anyone (yes Monks and Barbs too) can farm Butcher without too much trouble. You'll have to get slightly better geared than you were when you got out of Hell but it's not difficult. Start the quest for the lost Angel before the Warden (Jailer guy). Go to the waypoint for Festering Woods. You can get 3-5 stacks of valor easy from that location. The elites that spawn there are pushovers and they're abundant (1 gauranteed in each of the caves for the quest there). From there, continue to the jailer and kill him with 5 stacks of valor. Then proceed to kill the butcher. Make sure you have secondary MF gear to swap on for the killing blow. Try to swap for every elite / champion pack if possible.

I hesitate to reveal the second location because Blizzard really likes to nerf things like this. I expect them to do something about it, so maybe you guys can try to use it while it's still there. The second major farming area (and honestly this location should be everyone's goal to farm) is in Act 3. Start the Siege Breaker quest (the second one in that chain). Hop to the quest waypoint and pick up Tyrael. Tyrael will now follow you wherever you go in Act 3. He is INVINCIBLE and hits for 40k damage. From there, go find 5 elite packs from the various waypoints. Then come back and kill siege breaker. The same MF swapping applies. You can exploit Tyrael and let him finish off packs while you're dead on the ground. Obviously the more you contribute the faster / more efficient it is. Our monk is farming this so it's not for ranged only.

I've been working on my progress strategy, which seems to work quite well for advancement. You need the invulnerability skill, earth summon, the mantra of healing (with spirit regen), the passive skill which gives you hp for using spirit, and extremely high dexterity.

You most likely can't take on elites, so don't even bother trying. Instead, the goal is to clear portions of the map, so you can see where you need to go, and lead any elites to an area away (preferably trapped in a room or corner of the map) and let them kill you. Respawn, repeat and move forward until you can hit the boss room. Then, let your earth summon and follower kill the boss while you keep running away and using invulnerability (make sure to have the extended time on it) if things get hairy. Yeah, the earth summon won't last long, but it has almost no cooldown time, and will barely cost any spirit. I'm warning you though, the boss battles will last 45+ minutes, but at least they're passable with the monk (if you don't have the necessary gear that is).

Sounds like an AMAZING amount of fun, can't argue there. Reading this makes me remember why I haven't logged on in 4 days (and counting). I've gotten to the point where if a friend doesn't want to log in, or doesn't feel like it at the moment, we both just go do something else. There's no convincing each other, 'ah, c'mon man'. It's just 'alright'.

Any word from them on the big changes we're all wanting (itemization, Inferno fixes, etc.)?

Im currently farming Act IV inferno (the area right before Diablo), cant really say its farming since i don't do anything but stand there until the elite is killed. Best item i got so far was a 567 dps sword that i gave to a friend.

As far as normal gameplay is concerned I cannot get past act 2 due to being 2 shotted by almost everything.

Barb - 38k hp, 7.5k armor, 280 res, 15k dps (36k on WoTB)

I will say this. I do enjoy finally taking down a group of elites or a boss. There is some satisfaction to it. IMO anyway.

I can clear Inferno Act 1 no problem, start at the Warden quest, get five stacks Nephalem on my way down to him. Then I clear Festering Woods just because its quick and easy to find Elite and Champion packs. Takes about 30 mins and make 100,000g a run plus all the items I get to sell. Sadly Act 1 does not drop the upgrades that you need to survive in Act 2. I don't get it. Could spend all day clearing Act 1 and I am not going to get the items that give me enough Vit, DPS, and damage mitigation to survive in Act 2. Inferno should be dropping lvl 60 items only I keep getting level 51-54 rares in Act 1 that aren't upgrades.

I can clear Inferno Act 1 no problem, start at the Warden quest, get five stacks Nephalem on my way down to him. Then I clear Festering Woods just because its quick and easy to find Elite and Champion packs. Takes about 30 mins and make 100,000g a run plus all the items I get to sell. Sadly Act 1 does not drop the upgrades that you need to survive in Act 2. I don't get it. Could spend all day clearing Act 1 and I am not going to get the items that give me enough Vit, DPS, and damage mitigation to survive in Act 2. Inferno should be dropping lvl 60 items only I keep getting level 51-54 rares in Act 1 that aren't upgrades.

Blizzard says it's a misconception that the items you're getting are not good enough.

Interestingly enough, most of the blues that i have been getting from act 4 inferno have at least 50 resist all on them and generally are all +intel gear, most have 500+ armor too.

Last edited:
Blizzard says it's a misconception that the items you're getting are not good enough.

I don't have access to their forums/etc from work, nor do I feel like going back through this thread... BUT, do you have some sort of proof that this is what they said?

I messed around with a blizzard / arcane hydra kiting build in Act 2 Inferno today. I was doing pretty well, even 4 stacking valor before running into a wall. Though the kiting was working well, it seems that Blizzard has implemented a "death dot" to be automatically placed on your character if the mob that you are fighting is still alive after a certain length of time (felt like six minutes or so). Anyone else experience this? I want to say that it takes off 5k hp a second as it burns through my Diamond Skin in 3 or 4 seconds.

you hit the Elite packs enrage timer

I don't have access to their forums/etc from work, nor do I feel like going back through this thread... BUT, do you have some sort of proof that this is what they said?

The quote that I saw was on their forums. They say the EXACT same loot "group" is dropped in ACT IV of Hell mode. I really don't even think they understand their own game. Blaming their clients for all of the hacks, not realizing this (END)game is completely reliant on gear, etc.

you hit the Elite packs enrage timer

Which is why the poster that said he was killing bosses in Inferno and kiting for 45 minutes is full of shit. I believe its a 20-25 minute rage timer on bosses that makes you insta death

Which is why the poster that said he was killing bosses in Inferno and kiting for 45 minutes is full of shit. I believe its a 20-25 minute rage timer on bosses that makes you insta death

Enrage on elites reset as soon as you leave them alone. They will full heal, but their enrage is gone. In theory if you can get a single minion/champion per enrage then that pack is killable.

As far as act bosses enraging... the only one I've actually seen is Butcher's "enrage" where the whole floor burns up. I don't recall anyone else enraging. Considering some Barbs solo'd Diablo and took over 30 minutes, I don't know if they have enrages at all.

I looted a regular enemy in HELL and it was a legendary item...albeit, a very crappy, half DH half Wizard item...wasn't worth putting on AH so I Salvaged it lol! the Elite's in HELL with the chained feature (not sure what you call it) are f'n insane! I am a low clothy with about 18k HP, 3.8K Armor, 3.9k DPS, and does not take long. Also hate the vampiric, they just drag the killing time down!

found my third legendary last night, absolute shit. dropped off Khule and it had like poison resist and some other BS on it. next patch will fix future legendary drops but not currently owned items.. lame.

If you get legendaries dont identify them - its possible if you wait for the patch and then identify them they will be better. I've put in 130 or so hours into my Barb and only found 1 which was good for me for about 3 levels then i sold them. Btw it dropped from a barrel in act 3 lol.

Found my first legendary quiver for my DH, quite nice actually. Also dinged 60 a few minutes later.

What's the nastiest elite combo you've seen? Firechains + Teleport + Jail/Waller seems to be the worst combo I've seen, besides the basic Invulnerable minions BS

Found my first legendary quiver for my DH, quite nice actually. Also dinged 60 a few minutes later.

What's the nastiest elite combo you've seen? Firechains + Teleport + Jail/Waller seems to be the worst combo I've seen, besides the basic Invulnerable minions BS

Some sort of shielding, mortar, jailer/waller are among the worst combos.

I had on elite combo that were the freeze chains + Jail/Waller + the exploding freeze balls (Sorry I do not know all the lingo) and they were the hard hitters. I couldn't see what I was doing, kept getting walled up and frozen while they one-hitted me with their super hits.

I really need to read up on the attacks and names for them, I apologize for this and for any future discussion....I sound/am a total newb.

found my third legendary last night, absolute shit. dropped off Khule and it had like poison resist and some other BS on it. next patch will fix future legendary drops but not currently owned items.. lame.

Yup Legendaries in D3 are nothing like D2, D2 you could create an entire build around a set of Legendary items... in D3 they worthless and don't attribute to any skills or build types. The only thing that matters on an item in D3 is the base DPS or base stat for your class. Currently Magic(Blue) items are the best for those two key things..

fast - molten - frozen - extra health..

cant escape the molten cause hes fast and hes freezing area

Yup Legendaries in D3 are nothing like D2, D2 you could create an entire build around a set of Legendary items... in D3 they worthless and don't attribute to any skills or build types. The only thing that matters on an item in D3 is the base DPS or base stat for your class. Currently Magic(Blue) items are the best for those two key things..

The other 2 weren't bad to be honest. the sword especially sec i have a screenshot

Screenshot010.jpg

pretty good for a wizard sword, although now that im 60 im sure i'll replace it immediately :{

Game keeps saying it needs to apply patch, and will restart..then it says game is already running? and closes?...lol

Not telling me servers are down...says patch is required to login...blah blah...then above statement.
Anyone else?

Game keeps saying it needs to apply patch, and will restart..then it says game is already running? and closes?...lol

Not telling me servers are down...says patch is required to login...blah blah...then above statement.
Anyone else?

Maintenance till 11 am PST

@Intel...yes, I know that..this screen didn't appear earlier when I attempted to log. Just saying.

Back