Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I use the dash strike to pick of runners and round up groups. I use 7 sided because it can be cool, the move that pulls enemies to you is useful if you're tanking.

dash is best for the damn treasure dudes because it roots and stuns.

You should be actively using mantras. and I generally use wave of light over the kick since i've been 30+.

I would guess that in general monks are less complicated for dps vs a wizard. but they have great survivability. We have some heals which are great for groups. I think blinding flash is awesome.

I typically dash strike all over rounding up people, then pull them to me, blind flash and then wave of light aoe them.

The one move i really don't get is tempest rush, that thing still sucks.

Thanks for that input! I'll have to try the playstyle you've detailed and see how i like it.

/agree about tempest rush.

I got a legendary in act 2 nm. Not the greatest for me but I needed HP, and the move speed on the bracers I found is nice because I have to kite like a fiend on my DH.

The worst was I went into the emporers court the first time and there's no room to kite.

Just got home from work and solo killed Hell Belial, Nether Tentacles are ridiculous for large hit boxed bosses... Got Legendary shoulders from him, Death Watch Mantle

Well, I played through Normal this weekend. Level 31 monk when I killed Diablo. I only had to drink 1 health pot.

Here's my thoughts:
- The game seems like a gold hunt, the gold sinks make it painfully obvious.
- I feel absolutely no excitement when I level up because I don't get any choice for stats/ skills.
- all i do is pickup all blue items, sell to vendor. Rush forward as fast as possible to get to next diffculty where there will be more gold & better gear.
- The game is too easy. (I killed the butcher my first try. )
- Templar follower voice sounds the same as Alistar from Dragon Age
- Lighting the beacons is so cliche
- Gems are boring. Where's the Skull gems? Diamonds? "other"? Seriously?

- White items are useless as already pointed out.
OMG. WHY do they make me stop every so often to drop the crappy white items that I inadvertently pick up? Just remove them from the game!

Story is meh. I could see the Leah thing coming a mile away. It's a nice twist to bring Adria back into the game from D1. Tyrael story on the other hand is nice.

No backstory for Izual?
- I have to pay to upgrade the Jeweller? This makes upgrading gems worthless for single player.
- Auction house for Gems is LAME. You can't set a buy price. Square ruby fluctuated from 4k to 5k during one evening. Let me set my buy price and buy it automatically instead of sitting and watching the rates.

- The gear isn't appealing. There's too few stat modifiers.
- There's no reason to upgrade the blacksmith because there's a million other games out there who have more time than me and make better gear with their upgraded blacksmiths.

The only excitement I get is when I find a Rare drop. There's no reason to pay 100k gold to upgrade the blacksmith and then salvage multiple Rares to have to pay more gold and buy a recipe and craft an item. Item Crafting sucks. It's not worth it unless you're high level and have tons of gold & trash yellows to salvage.

Last edited:
Has anyone found/seen any Tier gear? There is Tier gear isn't there? Could've swore I saw that.

Has anyone found/seen any Tier gear? There is Tier gear isn't there? Could've swore I saw that.

They used the word "Tier" to differentiate the artwork for gear. I have seen a few blue posts about it because it confused a lot of WoW players. It does not directly relate to item quality. Just how the item looks.

Someone also mentioned sets....are there sets in D3 as well? It'd be nice to have some other gear to look forward to other than rares.

Well, I played through Normal this weekend. Level 31 monk when I killed Diablo. I only had to drink 1 health pot.

Here's my thoughts:
- The game seems like a gold hunt, the gold sinks make it painfully obvious.
- I feel absolutely no excitement when I level up because I don't get any choice for stats/ skills.
- all i do is pickup all blue items, sell to vendor. Rush forward as fast as possible to get to next diffculty where there will be more gold & better gear.
- The game is too easy. (I killed the butcher my first try. )
- Templar follower voice sounds the same as Alistar from Dragon Age
- Lighting the beacons is so cliche
- Gems are boring. Where's the Skull gems? Diamonds? "other"? Seriously?

- White items are useless as already pointed out.
OMG. WHY do they make me stop every so often to drop the crappy white items that I inadvertently pick up? Just remove them from the game!

Story is meh. I could see the Leah thing coming a mile away. It's a nice twist to bring Adria back into the game from D1. Tyrael story on the other hand is nice.

No backstory for Izual?
- I have to pay to upgrade the Jeweller? This makes upgrading gems worthless for single player.
- Auction house for Gems is LAME. You can't set a buy price. Square ruby fluctuated from 4k to 5k during one evening. Let me set my buy price and buy it automatically instead of sitting and watching the rates.

- The gear isn't appealing. There's too few stat modifiers.
- There's no reason to upgrade the blacksmith because there's a million other games out there who have more time than me and make better gear with their upgraded blacksmiths.

The only excitement I get is when I find a Rare drop. There's no reason to pay 100k gold to upgrade the blacksmith and then salvage multiple Rares to have to pay more gold and buy a recipe and craft an item. Item Crafting sucks. It's not worth it unless you're high level and have tons of gold & trash yellows to salvage.

Wait until higher difficulties ;)

All the bosses in D2 were hard on the normal difficulty. Duriel... OMG..
Diablo 1 Butcher.... wow. Couldn't they have come up with something new ? They even used the same "Fresh Meat", but yet I don't remember any story for the D3 Butcher.

D3 butcher fight is cool because he looks good and the fire floor is good, but he's not that hard.
They should have made all these bosses more difficult on the normal playthrough.

I know it helps with blues but are Legendary and rare items effected by how much MF you have? I wonder why Legendary and rare items are not bind on equip the market will be flooded with them and what would be the point of Legendary or rare.

Do people not remember that D2 had white & gray items? They eventually kind of had a purpose with rune words, but for a long time they were basically a joke as well. I guess people that think they are crap didn't play D2?

All the bosses in D2 were hard on the normal difficulty. Duriel... OMG..
Diablo 1 Butcher.... wow. Couldn't they have come up with something new ? They even used the same "Fresh Meat", but yet I don't remember any story for the D3 Butcher.

D3 butcher fight is cool because he looks good and the fire floor is good, but he's not that hard.
They should have made all these bosses more difficult on the normal playthrough.

normal is supposed to be easy its normal. its so people who arent crazy good at video games can play through and enjoy the game thoroughly . . could it have been harder? yes. was it pretty easy? yes. should we care? no.. thats why there are higher difficulties. a normal play through takes 12 hours.. 20 hours if you take your time and look at everything. Thats a good chunk of game and it gives you the opportunity to explore and enjoy the game.

I know it helps with blues but are Legendary and rare items effected by how much MF you have? I wonder why Legendary and rare items are not bind on equip the market will be flooded with them and what would be the point of Legendary or rare.

all items have a chance to drop from any where. the chance of them dropping is just higher depending on the monster and your magic find. MF effects the chance to drop everything from anywhere

Do people not remember that D2 had white & gray items? They eventually kind of had a purpose with rune words, but for a long time they were basically a joke as well. I guess people that think they are crap didn't play D2?

D2 isn't the only ARPG out there plus the white items in D2 were useful for Runewords (yeah, I know runes were added with the expansion). Technically, gray items are just white items with sockets.

As for other ARPGs, white items in Path of Exile are actually worthwhile. You can re-roll the number of sockets and re-roll the links in them. A 6 socket item is worth much more when sold to the vendor than a 5 socket. But, most importantly, it is good to keep the 6 socket item and re-roll the links between the sockets.

Maybe it's all here in D3, but I am very underwhelmed at the crafting system so far.
Crafting should be fun from the get-go, not just for level 60+ and multi-millionaires.

What's the harm in reducing the Blacksmith & Jeweller upgrade costs for the first few times? NONE.

D2 isn't the only ARPG out there plus the white items in D2 were useful for Runewords (yeah, I know runes were added with the expansion). Technically, gray items are just white items with sockets.

As for other ARPGs, white items in Path of Exile are actually worthwhile. You can re-roll the number of sockets and re-roll the links in them. A 6 socket item is worth much more when sold to the vendor than a 5 socket. But, most importantly, it is good to keep the 6 socket item and re-roll the links between the sockets.

Maybe it's all here in D3, but I am very underwhelmed at the crafting system so far.
Crafting should be fun from the get-go, not just for level 60+ and multi-millionaires.

What's the harm in reducing the Blacksmith & Jeweller upgrade costs for the first few times? NONE.

well they really want to stress the importance of having a worthwhile currency. gold in D2 was worthless and SoJ was hardly an economy. I'd say theyve done a good job making sure gold is worth something. Just gotta decide what you want more. Personally I like crafting the gamble is thrilling to me :) although If I craft another strength staff on my wizard a baby is getting punched..

Super cheap spare rig from spare parts Phenom 1 x4 9750 + 2GB ddr2 + 9800GTX+ isn't cutting the butter even at 1680x1050. Should I try for GTX 260 or GTX 460 or call it quits on the damn thing? Ideally I'd like playable framerates at 60+ at 1080p.

The fiance is currently playing on my 17" 330M MBP and while the gameplay experience doesn't bother her - for some reason it bothers me; the very high temps during gaming, slowdowns during bigger battles, etc.

Phenom 1 x4 9750 + 9800GTX+ isn't cutting the butter. Should I try for GTX 260 or GTX 460 or call it quits on the damn thing?

The fiance is currently playing on my 17" 330M MBP and while the gameplay experience doesn't bother her - for some reason it bothers me; the very high temps during gaming, slowdowns during bigger battles, etc.

make sure you limit the fps with vsync.. those high frame rates can cause heating issues. a 460 smashes diablo 3 and theyre cheap.. especially used

make sure you limit the fps with vsync.. those high frame rates can cause heating issues. a 460 smashes diablo 3 and theyre cheap.. especially used

There are a few others that have commented a few pages back but like I said I have a 5850 oced and I am not smashing the game. I am mincing what that user is experiencing which is dips in the 20s during game play.

well they really want to stress the importance of having a worthwhile currency. gold in D2 was worthless and SoJ was hardly an economy. I'd say theyve done a good job making sure gold is worth something. Just gotta decide what you want more. Personally I like crafting the gamble is thrilling to me :) although If I craft another strength staff on my wizard a baby is getting punched..

Once again, what's the harm in reducing the upgrade costs for the first few upgrades?

$5k is a ton of gold at < level 15. There's no point to crafting anything and wasting gold for a "gamble" when you can just shop the auction house for low level stuff.

And that's cool but it probably won't fly into Hell. Maybe if this were any other game but Auction House 3.

I'm pretty sure you've never played the game if this is seriously what you think.

Does anyone else keep getting dropped? This will be the second time restarting this dungeon... and of course I was all the way at the end this time I dropped. Figures.

O Do bosses start dropping better stuff later on and/or at higher levels? I've taken the skeleton king 4 times now I think, usually with a party of 4 and so far have only gotten one good item(rare staff).

O Do bosses start dropping better stuff later on and/or at higher levels? I've taken the skeleton king 4 times now I think, usually with a party of 4 and so far have only gotten one good item(rare staff).
Yes, and yes.

Yes, and yes.

Y me no have money!?!? :(

I guess the GTX 460 is getting sold asap to fund diablo 3. If im already having this much fun with randoms and on like 4 levels, I don't even know how much fun the regular game will be with friends.

all items have a chance to drop from any where. the chance of them dropping is just higher depending on the monster and your magic find. MF effects the chance to drop everything from anywhere

do you mean that all the loot in the game is world drops? like, diablo doesn't drop anything specific to diablo, etc?

Correct. Sometimes all blues. sometimes a yellow or two. Sometimes a bunch of jewels.

so basically you get to act 4 inferno then just farm the last quest over and over again? that's lame imo. Bosses should at least have a few unique legendaries so you want to farm the entire game, not just the highest level portion.

so basically you get to act 4 inferno then just farm the last quest over and over again? that's lame imo. Bosses should at least have a few unique legendaries so you want to farm the entire game, not just the highest level portion.
No that's not really how it works. Since all the loot is "random" and based off world drops, you can farm champions/elites etc for loot since they typically drop the best loot. You don't have to just farm bosses.

Actually they specifically made it to where bosses DO NOT drop the best loots and the "proper" way to get items now is to clear areas and kill elites and champions. They dont want you doing boss runs for loots.

Back