Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Ran through Act 3 this weekend with a friend, had a good time. I figured it out, though. This game feels very mechanically similar to Dungeon Siege 2, less similar to Diablo1-2. I'd call it an arcadeRPG. It does a really good job at being an arcadeRPG.

Ran through Act 3 this weekend with a friend, had a good time. I figured it out, though. This game feels very mechanically similar to Dungeon Siege 2, less similar to Diablo1-2. I'd call it an arcadeRPG. It does a really good job at being an arcadeRPG.

dafuq-.jpg

What's the point of groups?

There are no bonuses, besides challenge... On the way to 60, what's the point of grouping?

Nightmare solo = cake walk, nightmare with 4 people = constant wipes.

Were you a Monk or Barb? I find the game hard as shit to solo with the classes like the wizard and demon hunter...even on nightmare.

It feels a lot like Diablo meets an arcade game. Especially multiplayer. Pretty simple.

I see what you're saying, and I think it's a massive improvement. They have made the combat MUCH more involving and dynamic (for point of reference, I'm a lvl 30-something DH in Act II Nightmare). It's way more satisfying to have to think about combat, and the only downside is it's no longer a game you can play one-handed while you drink/eat with the other.

Learning new builds (usually by necessity!) is also quite challenging/enjoyable and adds way more depth to your character.

It feels a lot like Diablo meets an arcade game. Especially multiplayer. Pretty simple.

Maybe in the skills they feel simple, but the combat has about 1000 times more depth than Diablo 2. You actually have to use skills now compared to just mashing one skill 1000 times and hitting the other to potion.

I see what you're saying, and I think it's a massive improvement. They have made the combat MUCH more involving and dynamic (for point of reference, I'm a lvl 30-something DH in Act II Nightmare). It's way more satisfying to have to think about combat, and the only downside is it's no longer a game you can play one-handed while you drink/eat with the other.

Learning new builds (usually by necessity!) is also quite challenging/enjoyable and adds way more depth to your character.

Especially leading up to and including the act 2 boss that starts with a B. It reminded me very much of arcade bosses, or even a few bosses in that very old game Master Blaster.

Maybe in the skills they feel simple, but the combat has about 1000 times more depth than Diablo 2. You actually have to use skills now compared to just mashing one skill 1000 times and hitting the other to potion.

Yes, you need to use 3-4 skills in this game as opposed to the 2-3 needed in D2. Potion chugging is mostly gone, and good riddance.

If you've played Dungeon Siege 2, you'll definitely see the similarities in combat mechanics. Most people didn't like or try that game, but it was actually a bit more complex than D3, especially in loot. Not a bad game, aside from the graphics and story.

Especially leading up to and including the act 2 boss that starts with a B. It reminded me very much of arcade bosses, or even a few bosses in that very old game Master Blaster.

Yep. Oh and plus 1 to elective mode! I got comfortable enough around Act III to start using it (before then I was able to get by without it) and it's opened up a much larger number of possibilities.

Now the worst part of Diablo 3 continues to be....that I have no time to play :(

Yes, you need to use 3-4 skills in this game as opposed to the 2-3 needed in D2. Potion chugging is mostly gone, and good riddance.

If you've played Dungeon Siege 2, you'll definitely see the similarities in combat mechanics. Most people didn't like or try that game, but it was actually a bit more complex than D3, especially in loot. Not a bad game, aside from the graphics and story.

Dungeon Siege games were a piece of shit. Seriously the mechanics are some of the bosses and blue guys are completely ridiculous.

I am not talking about hitting buttons. I am talking about the "demon hunter" who can rez 3 guys in the middle of a Diablo battle to avoid wipes. I am talking about the "witch doctor" who can snare guys in packs, or the "monk" who can pulls all enemies to traps that a demon hunter lays down.

Basically tactics completely change on the fly depending on the situation/group make up etc.

And the combat system is a part of this.

I just tried to sell a run for the

Gibbering Gemstone, which is the hardest mat to find for the Staff of Herding

Had the mob found, Tp up... No-one was interested, in fact they told me off... Took an hour to find...
The D3 community really seems against runs for some reason.
This and other things that I have seen makes me feel that the D3 chat community is worse than the D2 community.... :(

You are selling runs for an item and the community comprised of people who probably just want to help each other out to find items told you off? How fucking ironic!

Whenever I am grouped with people if I run across something I think they can use that is yellow I link it in chat. And I even go further to drop the item on the ground for them...without charging!!!

And you know what? Everyone I have done public games with has done the same.

Mine maxes out at 60, but I think it can go higher but it's not letting it. Is there a cap or something?

Also, how many acts is there? I'm in 3 now.

Were you a Monk or Barb? I find the game hard as shit to solo with the classes like the wizard and demon hunter...even on nightmare.

fuck monks. retarded strong.

my wizard cant solo NM for shit.

Dungeon Siege games were a piece of shit. Seriously the mechanics are some of the bosses and blue guys are completely ridiculous.

I am not talking about hitting buttons. I am talking about the "demon hunter" who can rez 3 guys in the middle of a Diablo battle to avoid wipes. I am talking about the "witch doctor" who can snare guys in packs, or the "monk" who can pulls all enemies to traps that a demon hunter lays down.

Basically tactics completely change on the fly depending on the situation/group make up etc.

And the combat system is a part of this.

Yes, it is very similar to DS2. Obviously D3 has better production values and polish, but the combat mechanics are more similar between the two than Diablo 1 and 2.

I didn't say that was a bad thing :confused:

Also, how many acts is there? I'm in 3 now.
Four acts.

Yes it can, and Wizards are probably the strongest class in the game right now (in regards to Inferno difficulty). Spend 20k gold on the AH and get a complete set of gear with INT and VIT. Not either one, but both on the same item. Don't worry about those other crap stats at the moment, and don't spend more than 5K per item. If you need to, wait ten minutes and refresh, there are killer deals all the time. In Inferno your stat priorities will change (for a Wizard).

Currently trying to solo Belial on Hell with DH, unfortunately lag keeps getting me killed, timing has to be perfect to kill him on Hell or Inferno, really getting frustrated with the server instability. I can't play any of Act I without suffering 2000ms latency spikes, I thought it was just me but everyone else that I know that has stared Act 1 in Hell is experiencing it too. I can load up NM Act 1 and I have less than 100ms latency. It doesn't make sense.

I'm 15 hours in and I've only gotten to level 23 on Normal difficulty, Act II. I get that some of you have way more time to invest in games (I am a bit jealous in that regard) but if you have 40-50 hours in already and were expecting the same level of depth and refinement that Diablo 2 offered, particularly around itemization, please bear in mind that Diablo 2 has 12 years of patching and refinements under it's belt by now. Diablo 3 has been released for 6 days.

If you've beaten it, and aren't finding enjoyment from the itemization, just go play something else for a while? Or level a different character? Lambasting the company and the game because it doesn't live up to your very specific expectations, compared to a highly refined previous game in the genre, is really ignoring a lot of the merits that Diablo 3 has made over the previous game. Yeah, the itemization might not be as good yet, but give it a few months. The game now is much better than many AAA titles at release where it counts - you can actually play it, and it's fun.

Yes, it is very similar to DS2. Obviously D3 has better production values and polish, but the combat mechanics are more similar between the two than Diablo 1 and 2.

I didn't say that was a bad thing :confused:

I know, but seriously the combat in Diablo 3 is moments of "oh shit be an allstar kid!" similar to that oh shit moment you had during vanilla WoW on pretty much all the fights where something could go wrong at any moment and there was no general strategy.

Four acts.

Yes it can, and Wizards are probably the strongest class in the game right now (in regards to Inferno difficulty). Spend 20k gold on the AH and get a complete set of gear with INT and VIT. Not either one, but both on the same item. Don't worry about those other crap stats at the moment, and don't spend more than 5K per item. If you need to, wait ten minutes and refresh, there are killer deals all the time. In Inferno your stat priorities will change (for a Wizard).

I have been watching the auction house for 1 handed bows etc. Basically any item that is an upgrade for me. Pretty much all are starting out around 10-15k with like insane buy outs. And I have been watching from normal to hell difficulty. So no 20k is not an amount you need to buy a full set. More like 200k.

I feel a bit ridiculous quoting myself, but I figure this is a worthwhile PSA for those who perhaps are just starting: hoard cash like there's no tomorrow - you can buy MUCH better gear on the auction house for far less money than the items you craft (this includes gems!). I'm really irritated that I pissed away probably the best part of 100k leveling my gem guy and blacksmith, only to realize that I can A. buy far better gems for absolutely nothing on the auction house and B. can buy far better gear than I can craft or find on the auction house. Now I'm left struggling to build up a cash balance again :(

This. If I would have checked out the AH earlier, I probably would have better gear and all my extra Stash slots unlocked instead of only half. I can smith anything up to Illustrious so that must be like 150k+ worth of smith upgrades.

I sat at ~200ms most of the weekend. Half of the time, that wasn't a problem, but it spiked a few times and I was glad to have picked a monk. Durable little fuckers, ain't they?

I have been watching the auction house for 1 handed bows etc. Basically any item that is an upgrade for me. Pretty much all are starting out around 10-15k with like insane buy outs. And I have been watching from normal to hell difficulty. So no 20k is not an amount you need to buy a full set. More like 200k.

I just bought a full set for my Level 32 Witch Doctor for less than 30k (like seriously, 20 minutes ago). As I said, look for deals and don't spend anything over 5k. There are a bunch of ripoffs, yes, but plenty of great deals. A rule of thumb I go by is if the time left isn't 1D 23H or 2D, then it isn't a good deal. The deals I'm talking about really only last a few minutes and you hardly have any time to compare items as by the time you're done, the item has been sold.

Don't be afraid to look at Magic items as well! As long as you're getting VIT and your primary stat, you will be good up until at least Act4 Hell.

This. If I would have checked out the AH earlier, I probably would have better gear and all my extra Stash slots unlocked instead of only half. I can smith anything up to Illustrious so that must be like 150k+ worth of smith upgrades.

A friend of mine (who has FAR more time than I do) mentioned that he's been tremendously successful in selling his items on the auction house using the following basic pricing:

magics = 5x salvage value
rares = 10x salvage value
legendary = 20x salvage value

(salvage value actually meaning merchant price)

Not that it's a science, and I have no time to vet the process, but he made >150k in about two days off of the items (i.e. not including gold pickup from the actual playtime). He's not even done with Normal mode. Apparently there are a number of people starting new characters who require lower level gear, so there is a good market for the stuff.

I'm now even more pissed that I've been fucking salvaging and selling my shit to the merchants...my gear could have been so much better if I knew this :(

I'm trying to farm to buy a pair of the Dawn bows ;)

There are lots of low prices but beware that you need to refine the search criteria otherwise it hides a ton of items - the list only shows so many items at a time (really goofy, imo)

I just bought a full set for my Level 32 Witch Doctor for less than 30k (like seriously, 20 minutes ago). As I said, look for deals and don't spend anything over 5k. There are a bunch of ripoffs, yes, but plenty of great deals. A rule of thumb I go by is if the time left isn't 1D 23H or 2D, then it isn't a good deal. The deals I'm talking about really only last a few minutes and you hardly have any time to compare items as by the time you're done, the item has been sold. Don't be afraid to look at Magic items as well! As long as you're getting VIT and your primary stat, you will be good up until at least Inferno.

I sat there for an hour and kept refreshing...all ripoffs so your mileage may vary. I am not saying what you are doing isn't possible, just that watching the auction house all day for gear is stupid. I would rather just play the game.

It is amazing how many people are bitching about the graphics (which by the way crush my system, look great), the online DRM which really has only been an issue like 1/30th of the time I played and the skill system.

When the legitimate complaints are:

Monks being bullshit, the auction house completely fucking up the game if for no other reason it being due to weapon itemization. (ie: dex/int items or like 99 vit items with like 20 dex vs like 100 dex with 20 int items). Doesn't make much sense.

Seriously though if you play public games you already see the "WoW' problem. People just drop and join games at random looking for monks that can rip apart of the pussy walls of Diablo.

A friend of mine (who has FAR more time than I do) mentioned that he's been tremendously successful in selling his items on the auction house using the following basic pricing:

magics = 5x salvage value
rares = 10x salvage value
legendary = 20x salvage value

Not that it's a science, and I have no time to vet the process, but he made >150k in about two days off of the items (i.e. not including gold pickup from the actual playtime). He's not even done with Normal mode. Apparently there are a number of people starting new characters who require lower level gear, so there is a good market for the stuff.

I'm now even more pissed that I've been fucking salvaging and selling my shit to the merchants...my gear could have been so much better if I knew this :(

Thanks for the tip quadnad! When I search for items, it will tell me the average selling price of the item. But when I list items, there's no indication as what I should list it for. For your list, should this be the buy it now price or the normal auction price?

I have been AH'ing all of my rares for between 1000-3000 gold buyout depending on the level and stats. Most of them are between level 10-20 gear, but 1k-1.5k gold even at those levels is cake to get. Saying you need to spend 200k is flat wrong. Search for gear with your primary stat, type in the minimum amount you want (for me I do a search for say, INT stat with at least +30) and then sort by buy out price. You'll find PLENTY of options from 2k-10k. You don't need to upgrade your full set either. I improved my DPS from 170 to 230 with 2 pieces of gear yesterday.

Thanks for the tip quadnad! When I search for items, it will tell me the average selling price of the item. But when I list items, there's no indication as what I should list it for. For your list, should this be the buy it now price or the normal auction price?

Sorry I ninja edited but not in time - 'salvage' really means merchant price (i.e. the price the merchant would give you if you sold it in game). These should be buyout prices I believe.

Again just a disclaimer that I haven't tried it, but he's had great success so far. EDIT: and I'm going to start doing it too as soon as I get home...hahah

Pricing seems a little off so far, my guess being because blizzard hasn't set the exchange rate.

It is amazing how many people are bitching about the graphics (which by the way crush my system, look great)
lol, my GTX680s don't even go into 3D mode to run Diablo, and that's at full 2560x1440 resolution. I maintain 60fps with one card at ~800MHz and my processor barely ramps up to to the full overclocked speed. I have a hard time imaging a quadcore CPU + 5850 having trouble running Diablo 3.

Sorry I ninja edited but not in time - 'salvage' really means merchant price (i.e. the price the merchant would give you if you sold it in game). These should be buyout prices I believe.

Again just a disclaimer that I haven't tried it, but he's had great success so far.

I have 10 yellows that are like lvl 10 to 20 right now from the normal act sitting on the AH for 1500 starting with like 5k and 10k buyouts. Like 5 hours left and not one bite. I sold a couple of magic items that were low level before for like 500 gold.

Basically the AH at this case is a your miliege may vary sort of thing.

The better question you should be asking yourself is with Auctioneer lite and the mobile AH of WoW, why the hell wasn't just the same technology implemented?

Any class can solo everything through Hell without too much issue. Heck, a wizard solo'd inferno.

Monks are easy solo's through Hell, but melee has a heck of a time with getting destroyed in Act 2 and beyond in Inferno. Blanket invincibility frames are key for dealing with absurd damage numbers.

You're probably a bad Wizard then. No offense though. My Wizard is I think 44 and I don't have that much trouble. Occasionally the blue mobs and rare elites are a pain, and I've died, but it's nothing crazy.

I just post every Magic for 1000g, Rares are 5000g, only have 1 Legendary so I don't really sell them. My basic philosophy is that most people are only going to spend high amount of gold on an item if its a LVL 60.You also need research every class and to see what types of builds are popular, like my DH for example using two xbows and a chest for that increase discipline by 10 each. It seems like that is catching on as popular play style, so those items are selling for more than xbows that dont have the stat. You also need to pay attention to perfect stats. There is min-max stat that can be allocated. Max stat items also will be sought after at a higher value.

lol, my GTX680s don't even go into 3D mode to run Diablo, and that's at full 2560x1440 resolution. I maintain 60fps with one card at ~800MHz and my processor barely ramps up to to the full overclocked speed. I have a hard time imaging a quadcore CPU + 5850 having trouble running Diablo 3.

Imagine it. If you want I can take a video. I have shadows turned off completed, running on 12.4 ati drivers and my card is OCed. Doesn't overheat/lag etc. and when a bunch of guys come on the screen I am getting dips from like 60 FPS down to the 20s for a few seconds before shit ramps back up.

Could be a driver thing etc, but when all the bodies flying everywhere etc to me it makes sense.

I just post every Magic for 1000g, Rares are 5000g, only have 1 Legendary so I don't really sell them. My basic philosophy is that most people are only going to spend high amount of gold on an item if its a LVL 60.You also need research every class and to see what types of builds are popular, like my DH for example using two xbows and a chest for that increase discipline by 10 each. It seems like that is catching on as popular play style, so those items are selling for more than xbows that dont have the stat. You also need to pay attention to perfect stats. There is min-max stat that can be allocated. Max stat items also will be sought after at a higher value.

I don't like the 2 bows since I use rapid fire.

What skills are you using for your wizards? My lvl 23 is using the following:

Signature: Chain Lightning
Arcane Orb (w/ rune for increased damage)
Frost Armor (w/ rune for AOE slow around you)
Diamond Skin (w/ rune for 2x damage absorb)
Force Wave (the wind knockback with 200% physical damage, with the rune to stun)
Magic Weapon

For passives I am using the one that gives 30 arcane power when you get a health orb and the one where using your signature grants 4 AP.

Good? Bad? Terrible? I'm tearing through normal and I one shot most enemies.

That's exactly what I am using and it pegs at 60fps 90% of the time. During multiplayer battles where there are 50 mobs on the screen and all four players spamming spells and abilities, it goes down to the 20's and makes me consider upgrading.

Imagine it. If you want I can take a video. I have shadows turned off completed, running on 12.4 ati drivers and my card is OCed. Doesn't overheat/lag etc. and when a bunch of guys come on the screen I am getting dips from like 60 FPS down to the 20s for a few seconds before shit ramps back up.

Could be a driver thing etc, but when all the bodies flying everywhere etc to me it makes sense.
It must just be the engine the game uses. It seems pretty poorly coded tbh. My friend has a i7 920 and a GTX580 and he reported occasional dips into the 40s, but I thought that was just an NVIDIA driver issue, but I guess not.

Back