Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I played FF13 and many people felt that game was terrible. I somewhat agree in that the intro period felt like a never ending tutorial. Once the 8 hour tutorial period was over :p, I actually enjoyed the story,world-setting, character development, skill tree, battle system, etc.

So I imagine that even though most ppl did not like FF13 and I did, I could very well see myself enjoying FF13-X2 even though you feel in your opinion that its a "shit game" by which I assume an underpaid disgruntled retail employee somewhere opened your game package, deposited an extra special surprise and then sold it to you.

The point I was trying to make though was that I only felt about 30 hours of Diablo 3 were actually fun and even then not that much fun and the 90 hour work/grind period of Inferno kind of negates the 'fun' of the first 30 hours. Leaving a somewhat overall sour/mediocre experience when factoring in the 1:3 fun to not-fun ratio of time. I didn't hate the game as you stated and never said 'hate' anywhere in my post.

I just wished I had spent my money elsewhere. I am aware that Max Payne 3 is only about 8-10 hours but feel it would have been a much higher quality experience and overall fun experience throughout than Diablo 3 and at a lesser cost. Yes, if I bought SW:Tor/Tera which are both mmorpgs, I am well aware I would have only gotten 1 months worth of play. However, its a little under a month that Diablo 3 has been out and I'm finished with the game. Thus the comparison is pretty valid, wouldn't you say?

Shit game is a metaphor for a really bad game. I assume you got the analogy.

I could say that I wished I would have spent my money elseware for just about everything I bought in the last 5 years.

SW:TOR is terrible.

I know there is nothing I can do to sway your opinion without you just trying the game, but honestly Diablo 3 is not a terrible game if you enjoyed Diablo 2, which was basically just a gear grind.

You sorta know what you are getting into if you played Diablo 2.

If anything I would suggest WoW if you were disappointed with Diablo.

The point I was trying to make though was that I only felt about 30 hours of Diablo 3 were actually fun and even then not that much fun and the 90 hour work/grind period of Inferno kind of negates the 'fun' of the first 30 hours. Leaving a somewhat overall sour/mediocre experience when factoring in the 1:3 fun to not-fun ratio of time. I didn't hate the game as you stated and never said 'hate' anywhere in my post.

For me, the monotonous part about the grind was the method. Most people discuss efficient farming runs, like the Butcher, Siegebreaker etc., but I found myself taking lengthy breaks between them. It's probably because when things "end" its hard to get started again. I get a lot more enjoyment just starting midway through Act I and killing shit to the end and I get good money from that too. In the end, I feel like I get more enjoyment by playing the way Blizz intended us to play (discouraging boss runs and keeping farming decentralized in general). After 1.0.3, it'll be even better for me.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but they hotfixed the removal of the added damage for co-op.

So when you play with people the enemy damage doesn't increase anymore, just the amount of HP.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but they hotfixed the removal of the added damage for co-op.

So when you play with people the enemy damage doesn't increase anymore, just the amount of HP.

That'll probably make things more fun!

Diablo is not a good game for many reasons expressed in this thread. If you think this is the pinnacle of this genre I suggest you try www.pathofexile.com. That is a fun game! Torchlight 2 if you can get past the cartoon and lively graphics is a robust romp that is just plain fun also. Diablo 3 is cartoon like so D3 converts shouldn't have to suspend reality much more than what they have been doing so far.

Diablo 3 trips over it's own feet at every corner. Some choose to ignore these shortcomings; others can't stand them. What I do like seeing are new people from these boards buying the game based on recommendations from this thread then coming back and bitching that they were lied to. Especially when there are others like me telling them it isn't worth it in it's current state.

Basically some people are selling others on the game based on it's potential. Others are describing it as is today in it's current state. SWTOR isn't a bad game if you go by it's potential also. Just food for thought.

:)

Cumulative played time in SWTOR - 27 Hours
Cumulative played time in Diablo 3 - 109 Hours

Obviously I am enjoying Diablo 3 alot more.

People are fucking morons. This is the problem.

The community as a whole just ruins games now a days. Half of all meta critic reviews are just made up by people who didn't play the game and just have a rage boner for anything DRM related.

Too many outlets. You have too many review sites, too many people have voices on the internet and just bitch about anything and everything now a days.

I have a fireplace that is slowly falling through my house (long story), I have a shower that I need to rip out and replace. I have a dent I need to get fixed on my car etc.

People should have issues in life. Something like bitching about Diablo on metacritic just proves you don't have much of a life.

If you fixed your shit, you'd have more time to bitch.

If you fixed your shit, you'd have more time to bitch.

If I fix my shit, another thing will break.

You are missing the point. I have more important things to do with my time then bitch about something trivial like the Mass Effect ending.

Hell I would rather argue with people to prove how ridiculous they are than actually bitching about things like a video game.

I have 140 hours on one of my characters in D3 and I wasn't having fun most of the time. I was reading what you'll were saying and trying to replicate these fun activities. Jar of Souls on Hell difficulty was fun and a few other things. The secret Development level was worthless as was the Rainbow level. The lag is completely uncalled for as many other things. Why I had to purchase all my gear from the AH is a complete mystery to me. I want to stare at bosses; not a spreadsheet!

I played SWTOR up to level 50 on just 2 toons and 36 on another. I had tons of fun and I would give it's potential a 95 / 100 rating. But at max level there isn't much to do that isn't monotonous like the game in this thread. No events, nothing that is going to surprise you, etc. But the potential is there for that to be added into the game.

Difference between me and others is that I will tell people stay away from SWTOR and D3 until they patch fun in the game. You'll say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread in it's current state. I say not really; it needs some TLC to get there but I see the potential. But you're playing tech stocks from the late 90's if you're going to buy games based on potential. I'll sell you some Yahoo at $500 a share if you want to test it's potential also.

You are missing the point. I have more important things to do with my time then bitch about something trivial like the Mass Effect ending.

Hell I would rather argue with people to prove how ridiculous they are than actually bitching about things like a video game.

This is true to a degree; I would argue that if you fixed your home that you'd be much happier mentally and physically. What you're saying about D3 is that you really like it. You like at least 95% of the decisions the developers made. If you truly do like it that much then just tell us what's great about it. I really would like to hear what is fabulous about Blizzard's take on the genre in D3.

Don't talk potential though. F potential and developer blog promises. In my 39 years I have been promised many a pony and got coal in my stockings from game developers. That's all I ask.

I think people just like video games more than you. It's the same with any hobby or pastime. People wanted to murder George Lucas after what happened with Star Wars. People almost rioted after Metallica released the Black album.

In the end, you're not proving anything, other than that you have a different opinion.

This is true to a degree; I would argue that if you fixed your home that you'd be much happier mentally and physically. What you're saying about D3 is that you really like it. You like at least 95% of the decisions the developers made. If you truly do like it that much then just tell us what's great about it. I really would like to hear what is fabulous about Blizzard's take on the genre in D3.

Don't talk potential though. F potential and developer blog promises. In my 39 years I have been promised many a pony and got coal in my stockings from game developers. That's all I ask.

I'd argue it doesn't really matter what he likes about it. He likes it and that is what matters to him. You can dislike it as well. That is fine too.

I think people just like video games more than you. It's the same with any hobby or pastime. People wanted to murder George Lucas after what happened with Star Wars. People almost rioted after Metallica released the Black album.

In the end, you're not proving anything, other than that you have a different opinion.

People wanted to murder George Lucas after Star Wars. Yea and the same can be said for the developers of ME3. You don't think that there is something wrong with that or that doesn't hurt the industry. if anything that drives the good developers away from the industry.

for the people talking about rubberbanding, are you actually talking about D3 hit detection (pure BS) which is a conscious game design decision by Blizzard?

Diablo hit detection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8x64c6gsI

Rubber banding is actually rubber banding see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy6AWy5wc-8

You're right though, that the hit detection in D3 is complete bullshit, which coupled with Lag makes you getting hit by melee swings which are half-way across the screen. My best guess is that they wanted you to have to use defensive abilities, not just be quick on your feet.

I had a couple concerns just before launch and those were:

- The game is a faceroll at the highest difficulties to ensure that all builds are viable or
- The statement they made does not include Inferno difficulty (which is "all business" mode)

It turns out to be the latter as Hell difficulty and below is extremely easy compared to Inferno. But who knows, there are already attempts at a "melee Wizard" build going on at the D3 forums. It all comes down to gear.

If it comes down to gear, then it's not balanced lol

People wanted to murder George Lucas after Star Wars. Yea and the same can be said for the developers of ME3. You don't think that there is something wrong with that or that doesn't hurt the industry. if anything that drives the good developers away from the industry.

I'd argue that Bioware isn't a good dev, just like Lucas isn't a good director. Every big dev that falls is replaced by another. In the retail industry, if you always blame the customer, you are bound to fail regardless of what you do.

They are my hobby right now as I take care of my mom and something I have been doing since 1979 or so. They are something that can dilute reality for a bit and bring me some joy in my day. Sure I could say F mom and toss her in a nursing home and go on with life. Drop all tech entertainment and restore a car or add onto my old model railroad set.

But I really like good games as the great ones tell a tale of life's struggles in a make believe world where my decisions dictate the outcome. And they are something that I can pick up at a moment's notice and drop again without repercussions. I can't drop mom on a whim like that, but a game I can.

That's why I'm passionate about them. I thought Blizzard Entertainment was also. I guessed wrong and that is unfortunate as I really wanted this one to last for a long time.

Video games is a past time for me. Basically it is something I like to do with friends instead of doing mundane things like sitting at a bar for 5 hours.

As far as the home goes anyone can fix a home, but it isn't my dream home so there are opportunity costs to fixing anything. I could do new windows/fireplace etc and I may get 30 percent of my return back and in this shit economy it could be less than that.

Better off getting back what I paid for it in 5 years or take a slight loss and use the equity I save up now to invest into new housing.

As far as D3 goes I would list it in the top 10. I like about 75 percent of the game.

What is lacking is:

-Story
-Some issues with loot as far as what drops in what act (like shit drops in act 1 inferno). Hard to progress beyond this without the AH.
-Some balance issues I suppose
-Hardness of certain mobs in inferno being frustrating.

I have found the more I play it I am getting some experimenting with different builds so that is exciting. I will say I though the skill tree system was going to be shit, but I am surprised how much better it is than D2.

At the end of the day the things I enjoy about D3 are its match making system/re playability/low system requirements to play with friends.

For the first 2 weeks I was bound and determined to get to Inferno which I logged over 40 hours into the game. I was addicted.

That in itself is worth 60 bucks to me.

60 dollars really isn't a lot of money.

This is very true. There should be a gear check to enter Inferno. But after you are there you should see steady progression from activities there. Also bosses, mobs, elites, etc should get harder because the mechanics of the fight are more advanced; not because this elite pack spawned a mob that can one shot you almost.

You would think that with Jay Wilson borrowing all the animations from WoW that they would have borrowed some of the advanced boss mechanics. Here's food for thought. Why couldn't the D3 bosses gain new abilities with group size instead of more HP? I would have liked to have seen Butcher grab one member of the group, if they aren't paying attention, and use them to beat the others to death with his bloody corpse. It's like Blizzard was pressured into releasing this game onto the world and never got around to finishing it. That or lost the talent in their ranks to do so.

Path of Exile is a joke. Even when I was in the D3 Haters Club, I still thought it was a joke.

Path of Exile is a joke. Even when I was in the D3 Haters Club, I still thought it was a joke.

How so? It definitely has a better economy, better crafting and loot, and actual character progression. It also gets major updates often and is in Beta.

Of course it's not balanced. The moment you stray from a suboptimal build is the moment you need better gear to compensate for the disparity. What isn't known yet is how big that disparity is. After I beat Inferno Diablo, I've started messing with some weird skills that almost no one talks about (the Wizard's Arcane Mines is really fun). There's a lot of potential out there and messing with new things is part of the fun.

Video games is a past time for me. Basically it is something I like to do with friends instead of doing mundane things like sitting at a bar for 5 hours.

As far as the home goes anyone can fix a home, but it isn't my dream home so there are opportunity costs to fixing anything. I could do new windows/fireplace etc and I may get 30 percent of my return back and in this shit economy it could be less than that.

Better off getting back what I paid for it in 5 years or take a slight loss and use the equity I save up now to invest into new housing.

As far as D3 goes I would list it in the top 10. I like about 75 percent of the game.

What is lacking is:

-Story
-Some issues with loot as far as what drops in what act (like shit drops in act 1 inferno). Hard to progress beyond this without the AH.

I have found the more I play it I am getting some experimenting with different builds so that is exciting. I will say I though the skill tree system was going to be shit, but I am surprised how much better it is than D2.

At the end of the day the things I enjoy about D3 are its match making system/re playability/low system requirements to play with friends.

For the first 2 weeks I was bound and determined to get to Inferno which I logged over 40 hours into the game. I was addicted.

That in itself is worth 60 bucks to me.

60 dollars really isn't a lot of money.

Ok cool! Well nice to see what you liked about the game finally. I agree that bars / clubs are pretty boring and only eventually lead to trouble. Now the house is something to do that is worthwhile in my opinion, but I fully understand your stance on the current economy as unemployment is a definite concern where you would lose the house and your time investment in repairing it.

What is lacking is:

-Story

Those are the same issues I have with the game. With 10 years of development time you'd think there would have been an ever expanding story that blossomed if you got to Inferno. Just because D2 did it one way doesn't mean D3 had to follow. I have talked to every npc multiple times to get more insight into the story and I have concluded that it has more holes than Swiss cheese.

I'm not going to talk about how bad the drop system is to intentionally promote the RMAH. You know it. I know it. Potential buyers should know it.

Some skills in inferno are completely worthless. Thus that cool skill tree and Elective mode become much more diluted. The more advanced classes are more advanced because their animations are too long; not because they require more TLC to finesse power from them.

Compare a Witch Doctor to a Demon Hunter. Of course if geared out the wazoo they both shine. Give them both entry level Act I Inferno gear and see who progresses the fastest with less problems.

The one shot mobs are a worthless endeavor from Blizzard. As soon as I figured out I could leash mobs to the entrance and walk past them while dead it was GG. I also stopped playing because the game lost all it's luster at that point. I rather wait for the fun patch where you figure out a mob's pattern and devise a way to beat it; not figure out how to avoid it.

I think we agree on the game's shortcomings and I have a few more like lag I have to contend with. It's just that you can accept them much better than I can I suppose. Story is the backbone of most games unless it's all about the action. Things like that make me gnash my teeth and pull my hair.

But nice to see we're not that far apart in ability to see a game's shortcomings and greatness. Just wish there was more great in it.

This is very true. There should be a gear check to enter Inferno. But after you are there you should see steady progression from activities there. Also bosses, mobs, elites, etc should get harder because the mechanics of the fight are more advanced; not because this elite pack spawned a mob that can one shot you almost.

You would think that with Jay Wilson borrowing all the animations from WoW that they would have borrowed some of the advanced boss mechanics. Here's food for thought. Why couldn't the D3 bosses gain new abilities with group size instead of more HP? I would have liked to have seen Butcher grab one member of the group, if they aren't paying attention, and use them to beat the others to death with his bloody corpse. It's like Blizzard was pressured into releasing this game onto the world and never got around to finishing it. That or lost the talent in their ranks to do so.

To me it's obvious why d3 is so half-baked. Greed :(

Cheap servers, cheap coders, huge marketing team (plus lots of media buys), fantastic looking CGI. Probably 1/3 or less of the money actually went into the game.

Of course it's not balanced. The moment you stray from a suboptimal build is the moment you need better gear to compensate for the disparity. What isn't known yet is how big that disparity is. After I beat Inferno Diablo, I've started messing with some weird skills that almost no one talks about (the Wizard's Arcane Mines is really fun). There's a lot of potential out there and messing with new things is part of the fun.

Agreed. Wish the game supported all of it's skills from the get go instead of having to out gear the content almost before you feel comfortable to try new things.

It's not bad to me. I rather enjoy it! I'll tell you a secret. I despised Titan's Quest as much as I loved Torchlight and PoE. Don't tell anyone that though as I might find myself strung from a tree. :)

It's not bad to me. I rather enjoy it! I'll tell you a secret. I despised Titan's Quest as much as I loved Torchlight and PoE. Don't tell anyone that though as I might find myself strung from a tree. :)

I played quite a bit of PoE, but never got past act 1 (many characters)... from what i can tell, the game really comes to life after you get some higher level skill gems.

Wish the game supported all of it's skills from the get go instead of having to out gear the content almost before you feel comfortable to try new things.

Me 2. Seems like every wizard i bump into has tele + fracture and Diamond skin + more absorb. I hope blizzard plans on going through each skill for each class, rune by rune, and asking the question "would someone want to use this?"

To me it's obvious why d3 is so half-baked. Greed :(

Cheap servers, cheap coders, huge marketing team (plus lots of media buys), fantastic looking CGI. Probably 1/3 or less of the money actually went into the game.

Just like that EA /Bioware game SWTOR. I see no difference in the two entities. I especially find Blizzard's open endorsement of the RMAH as a means to gear up disheartening and disingenuous. It's supposed to be a game about finding cool gear and having fun; not about how fast you can click buy on the item that was posted too low. that makes them worse than EA IMO.

It's supposed to be a game about finding cool gear and having fun; not about how fast you can click buy on the item that was posted too low.

Speaking of which, I got a wicked deal on a 1440 dps 2H mace. It was 2.25M buyout and I hesitated for a moment thinking it was too good to be true. The second I saw that the remaining time was 1D 12H is the instant I hit the buyout button. :D For reference, these maces go for 4+ million.

Blizzard has always banned in waves so hopefully everyone who exploited the AH "bug" will be rightfully banned.

I have 140 hours on one of my characters in D3 and I wasn't having fun most of the time. I was reading what you'll were saying and trying to replicate these fun activities. Jar of Souls on Hell difficulty was fun and a few other things. The secret Development level was worthless as was the Rainbow level. The lag is completely uncalled for as many other things. Why I had to purchase all my gear from the AH is a complete mystery to me. I want to stare at bosses; not a spreadsheet!

I played SWTOR up to level 50 on just 2 toons and 36 on another. I had tons of fun and I would give it's potential a 95 / 100 rating. But at max level there isn't much to do that isn't monotonous like the game in this thread. No events, nothing that is going to surprise you, etc. But the potential is there for that to be added into the game.

Difference between me and others is that I will tell people stay away from SWTOR and D3 until they patch fun in the game. You'll say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread in it's current state. I say not really; it needs some TLC to get there but I see the potential. But you're playing tech stocks from the late 90's if you're going to buy games based on potential. I'll sell you some Yahoo at $500 a share if you want to test it's potential also.

140 hours and not having fun? That doesn't make sense, why would you even bother then? I played Skyrim for 80 hours and felt I got my moneys worth.

Just like that EA /Bioware game SWTOR. I see no difference in the two entities. I especially find Blizzard's open endorsement of the RMAH as a means to gear up disheartening and disingenuous. It's supposed to be a game about finding cool gear and having fun; not about how fast you can click buy on the item that was posted too low. that makes them worse than EA IMO.

You have to consider all the facts. People have been buying and selling duped gear in Diablo 2 for the past 8 years. So as much as you consider it being about "finding cool gear" people have always had an outlet to buy gear, just one that usually wasn't the most honest.

Blizzard just decided to capitalize on an already existing market.

Good gear drops. You don't need the 5mil per piece gear to start progressing through inferno. Just like d2 you have to farm. With nephalem valor and mf swap you can get really good gear in hell. Just because an awesome piece didn't drop your first few runs doesn't mean things don't drop.

With the upcoming nerf to inferno and increase of drop rate ranges, you should get through inferno just fine without touching the gold AH, much less the RMAH.

If you still say you need to spend millions on gold or real money after 1.03 lands, you just need to L2P

Yeah, Diablo has always been about farming gear, not buying it off an AH. I believe it's just because people are so impatient these days. It's the whole "GOTTA HAVE IT NAOW" mentality :(

I got chain spanked last night in act 2 hell due to my refusal to avoid any elites or champions, regardless of abilities. It was fun finally killing two elite packs+ various adds after like 4 deaths in a row.

I got chain spanked last night in act 2 hell due to my refusal to avoid any elites or champions, regardless of abilities. It was fun finally killing two elite packs+ various adds after like 4 deaths in a row.

There are some I avoid like the plague, althogh plague is an easier one :) here are some that give me nightmares

Invul minions + mortar + (jailer or vortex + knock back)

Fire chain + vortex + fast + teleport

In full defense gear and in archon mode (10-11k armor and 1-1.1k resists) clipped by a fire chain still seems to insta-gib me

screenshot005.jpg

The price disparity right now is hilarious.

Back