Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Yeah, there was a guy like that a few pages back as well. It's pretty shitty, but not unbelievable IMO. There are scumbags all over the place, like those people who buy beer and cigarettes with foodstamps, etc. Oh well.

We are talking about the same person. As far as blizzard writing stories I don't think they are terrible at it.

I mean holy shit most of the people still identify with the characters like Arthas/Nova/Kerrigan/James Raynor/Deckard Cain.

Hell my wife will say "stay awhile and listen" as code to cuddle after sex.

And before that she would mock me whenever I would ask for it by saying "you are not prepared!".

And she doesn't even know the origins of those characters.

Hope you guys got a laugh out of the post :)

The former. People are idiots. Seriously how can you literally play something for that long hating it.

Like the guy who "circled day 29 to ask for a refund". That guy has a lvl 55, 44 and a bunch of lvl 10-20 characters and now he wants his money back? Unbelievable.

It might be in bad taste to "circle day 29" but Blizzard offers a blanket 30 day return policy. Not a policy of "no returns if you play more than X hours." How long would it take someone to build up that library of characters?

As for how long someone can play a game for that long without hating it? At least with Civ 5 I played a good 40-80 hours over a few months and experimented with different settings and maps before coming to the conclusion that the game just sucked and no amount of tinkering with it could save it. Different genre but you get the point.

I'm not going to make excuses for the guy but I could see someone either trying a few different builds before giving up. That or maybe someone got burned by error 37 one too many times.

It might be in bad taste to "circle day 29" but Blizzard offers a blanket 30 day return policy. Not a policy of "no returns if you play more than X hours." How long would it take someone to build up that library of characters?

As for how long someone can play a game for that long without hating it? At least with Civ 5 I played a good 40-80 hours over a few months and experimented with different settings and maps before coming to the conclusion that the game just sucked and no amount of tinkering with it could save it. Different genre but you get the point.

I'm not going to make excuses for the guy but I could see someone either trying a few different builds before giving up. That or maybe someone got burned by error 37 one too many times.

I agree with this. When others say they are having fun playing something, I tend to try and ask what aspect of the game is fun because I'd hate to brand something as bad before I have experienced every aspect of it.

Well Diablo III is pretty bad as I have tried to make wine from different classes, combos, story lines, playing with others, playing with family, using the AH, etc and all I get is vinegar. Nowadays all I do is logout before I fall asleep at the keyboard. I do feel as if having the opportunity to play another person's vision for 140+ hours is getting my money's worth. Thus I can delete this piece of trash off my hard drive and not feel bad nor feel as if I got cheated.

But if I was slightly more peeved at it I would ask for a refund also. Just the ridiculous lag at times is reason enough to ask for as refund as it makes the game unplayable at times. Most of my 140 hours on my DH was spent avoiding lag death. If I were to follow my father's example he would write the manufacturer and tell them exactly how he felt. I don't have his personality so I take the attitude let them keep putting out crap and I'll tell the potential customers what I feel about the product.

Now I wouldn't recommend Diablo III to my worst enemy either nor agree that there is much to it past the bland game play. But I can say I did get my money's worth. For whatever that is worth.

:)

Finally a new post about the RMAH. Too bad it still doesn't say anything about the expected launch date, so maybe it really is going to be launched tomorrow. RMAH Reminders

In preparation for the launch of the real-money auction house, we wanted to take a moment to remind players of some important information regarding how the auction house will work and what to expect when using it once it's available in your region.

Account Security and Using the Real-Money Auction House
If you intend to use either Battle.net® Balance or PayPal™ to buy and sell items on the Diablo® III real-money auction house, there are a few important security measures you'll need to have in place in order to access certain auction house features. We highly recommend that you set up your Battle.net Balance or PayPal account ahead of time, so you'll be ready to use the real-money auction house once it's live.

Battle.net Balance: Players who wish to use Battle.net Balance to buy and sell items will need to attach a physical Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator app (free for iPhone, iPod touch, and Android) to their Battle.net account. Specifically, an Authenticator is required in order to charge up your Battle.net Balance through Battle.net account management or to select Battle.net Balance as the destination for your auction proceeds.

PayPal: Players who wish to use PayPal (only available in certain regions/currencies) to buy items or receive the proceeds of their auctions will need to sign up for our Battle.net SMS Protect service. With Battle.net SMS Protect, you'll occasionally receive a text message on your mobile phone when making PayPal-related transactions; this message contains a code that you must then enter to proceed with your transaction. Even if you don't plan on using the real-money auction house, we still encourage everyone to consider adding these extra layers of protection on their Battle.net account.

Note: Please keep in mind that players will be able to purchase items on the real-money auction house with other forms of payment, including major credit cards, that do not require the use of an Authenticator or Battle.net SMS Protect. Additional payment options are listed here. If you wish to sell items, however, and receive the proceeds of those sales, you will need to use either Battle.net Balance or PayPal.

Region Auction Houses and Global Play
As we've stated before, players will only have access to the real-money auction house while playing in their home game region (The Americas, Europe, or Asia), and characters created outside of your home region will not be able to buy, sell, or use items from any real-money auction house. Your home game region, along with which real-money auction houses you have access to, are determined by the country of residence registered to your Battle.net® account. By default, Battle.net will automatically determine the most appropriate real-money auction house for you, but players in some regions may be able to access auction houses for additional currencies in their region via the in-game Options menu.

Item Delivery and "Processing" Purchases
Occasionally, players may have to wait for a period of time before an item they purchased in the real-money auction house arrives in their "Completed" tab. While we expect the majority of real-money auction house purchases to be delivered to buyers immediately, in some circumstances, we will need to hold items for delivery while we conduct a review of the transaction. Held items will show as "Processing" until the review is complete.

Commodities on the Real-Money Auction House
As we prepare to launch the real-money auction house, we want to make sure that commodity trading (recently re-enabled in the gold auction house) remains quick, stable, and reliable. To that end, it's possible that the real-money auction house will launch with equipment trading only (i.e. weapons, armor, and other such gear) and commodities would come online at a later date. The team is hard at work getting commodities ready for trading in the real-world auction house, and in the event it doesn't launch with the real-money auction house, our goal is to activate this feature as soon as is feasible.

To learn more about the auction house system (including how to select your currency), check out the comprehensive Auction House Guide and Auction House FAQ.

Hope it goes live before my nephew loses all interest in the game and we quit. I would like to know what others think virtual gear is worth and what another is willing to pay for it. That would be an interesting bit of human psychology enacted within a video game.

Ask yourself tonight; what are you willing to spend on make believe?

Hope it goes live before my nephew loses all interest in the game and we quit. I would like to know what others think virtual gear is worth and what another is willing to pay for it. That would be an interesting bit of human psychology enacted within a video game.

You don't have to wait till tonight. Free to Play games with itemization have been around for awhile.

You want to know how the RMAH is going to go. Well let me tell you.

1. The people holding all the cash are the ones controlling the prices (gold farmers). Wait to see some epic fucking inflation due to competition or a massive sell off of gold.

2. There is real life competition for games. People have been there done that with D2, but can you tell me a game that was better than D2 during its reign? Nope. There will be a better game with more re playability than D3.

3. People are still unsure about item stats. In D2 a good stat was always vitality and plus to skills. What is it in D3?

0$. It will be interesting to see if I can sell some stuff and be able to buy myself lunch every few days with my awesome profits, though.

People spend billions of dollars on make believe, it's called the gaming industry.

Agreed. Also, which makes more sense; someone who plays the game for less than an hour and demands a refund, or someone who has tried to enjoy the game and was hoping against hope that it would improve before the 30 days was up, and eventually just gave up?

Seems to me if you really enjoyed the game you would continue to play beyond 30 days and not ask for a refund. Regardless of how many hours people put into trying to like the game, it's within their right to ask for a refund if they don't think their investment is going to be worthwhile.

0$. It will be interesting to see if I can sell some stuff and be able to buy myself lunch every few days with my awesome profits, though.

Well with the way drops are, you'll be able to sell an item once a week, maybe. It'll be interesting how much a good item goes for though.

Agreed. Also, which makes more sense; someone who plays the game for less than an hour and demands a refund, or someone who has tried to enjoy the game and was hoping against hope that it would improve before the 30 days was up, and eventually just gave up?

Seems to me if you really enjoyed the game you would continue to play beyond 30 days and not ask for a refund. Regardless of how many hours people put into trying to like the game, it's within their right to ask for a refund if they don't think their investment is going to be worthwhile.

Especially if they intend on spending as much time in D3 and they did D2. 140 or 200 hours is just a taste of if they are going to have fun 5,0000 hours from now.

LOL

DHs have no dmg mitigation through spells so trying to do any sort of mitigation through gear just becomes a cluster fuck.

Every DH I have seen is just glass cannon and vault is fucking impossible to control. Without just stacking smoke screen/movement speed and hoping you can dodge you pretty much get one shotted all time.

Wizard can tank with certain spells and a Witch Doctor actually has a valid crowd control that can handle something like a teleporter mob. A DH has none of that.

WD CC - you mean Hex which you can't choose who to hex and sometimes it takes forever for the AI to "register" and hex someone? Or are you talking about something like Mass Confusion (CD is far too long to count as a real CC). Horrify is really the only "valid" CC but even then it fails at times when mobs run out of range or in a direction you don't want them to (such as aggroing another pack)

Wizard tanking - You mean most likely Force Armor no? Also with the nerf to many of the wizard skills that made tanking possible (such as the broken CM build or how things like LL/Venom Weapon function with LOH?)

I don't understand how vault is "impossible" to control. You point your mouse at the location and then vault. It's INFINITELY better than what Wizards/WD's have.

Let's do a comparison of sorts...

Wizard - Teleport : Retarded long cooldown (16 sec unless you take Evocation) which you have to take a passive to have it reset when you are hit. Also functions the same way (most people speculate at least) that Mage blink used to work in WoW, which any mage will tell you is annoying as fuck. Hell, sometimes you even Teleport in place due to Teleport's stupid programming. (Not sure if the same happens with Vault)

WD - Spirit Walk : Currently there is a bug where monsters will still follow the "ghost" you even though you should be "invisible" to them. Also you can also be broken out of it instantly if monsters attack the real body. Also has a 12sec CD.

DH - Vault : I THINK you have immunity as you vault (am I wrong here?). No CD, only limited by your disc. If you take TA you also get a bonus 60% MS.

I'd let any DH have Spirit Walk or Teleport over Vault.

Regarding tanky builds. I've seen videos of some DH's building tank wise and doing perfectly fine in Inferno A3/A4. Revolves around LOH/AR/ Shadow Power with Gloom. Any "tanky" inferno build will require massive gearing so that's not really a valid argument. Wizard's arguably have it the worst with the change to their skills to "nerf" the CM builds due to how LoH works on them now. Tank WD's build the same way a DH tank build would build so there's no advantage or disadvantage.

WDs also get one shotted if we don't dodge spells as well. We just have two disadvantages over a DH.

1. Attack animation delay (Wizards and DH's don't have this)
2. Spirit Walk has a 12 sec CD. SS/Vault have zero, only limited by Disc. If you have +10 max disc items you can get up to 70 disc which with preparation would more or less make it so that you'd have to be really really fucking bad or undergeared to not have killed something after spending 140 disc.

I'm not saying that DH needs to be nerfed. I want my WD and Wiz to be buffed. I believe the DH playstyle/feel is what the WD/Wizard need to be at. I just find it laughable when I see DH's crying about their class in Inferno when arguably they have it the easiest when it comes to gear and how their skills work.

Games aren't an investment. You know what is an investment? My fucking lawnmower or my car.

Games are a fad or else companies like Gamefly would cease to exist. It is very possible for someone to put hours into a game and just get bored with it. In fact companies know this which is why they refuse to issue refunds.

Blizzard should do the same thing. The lag is bad sure at times and can be fixed. Blizzard should fix it, but not issue refunds.

I can understand if you bought a car or a lawnmower and in the first week a wheel falls off but you refuse to let it be fixed because it is within your right to "not deal with this piece of fucking shit"

But to go out and mow 5,000 lawns or drive 20,000 miles and then ask for a refund? That is bullshit.

The game isn't going to change significantly from day 10 to day 30 and you don't get to lvl 55 and 40 by it being completely unplayable.

What's LoH?

Also, is the CM build you're talking about where you stack crit? What exactly did they nerf? I like the idea of a crit wizard, but i'm not sure there's benefit anymore.

Why the fuck don't they ever put the full workings of a move in the tooltip?

What's LoH?

Also, is the CM build you're talking about where you stack crit? What exactly did they nerf? I like the idea of a crit wizard, but i'm not sure there's benefit anymore.

Why the fuck don't they ever put the full workings of a move in the tooltip?

Life On Hit.

Yes. They nerfed the way wizard skills function with it. So the reason why the CM build was so broken was because Living Lightning and Venom Weapon would count each hit as a separate roll chance to trigger CM or Paralysis. Now it only counts as 1 hit which severely nerfs Life On Hit inherently as well. I also believe all Wizard skills that could/can hit multiple times has been changed to work this way as well. Blizzard could have been smart about it and left Tank Wizard builds in much better shape by giving CM a small ICD. The chance on CM was already nerfed from beta. Beta it was like 35-40% chance, now I believe it's like ~10%?

Diablo 3 is the reason why I will never pay $60 for a game ever again. If they lowered the price down to $20 then it would be worth it. For $30 you can get games that blow it out of the water. I have my reasons for saying this but I'm sure that the other posters have already mentioned these things such as the auction house, 4 player limit, very limited and mundane re playability, etc.

Games aren't an investment. You know what is an investment? My fucking lawnmower or my car.

Games are a fad or else companies like Gamefly would cease to exist. It is very possible for someone to put hours into a game and just get bored with it. In fact companies know this which is why they refuse to issue refunds.

Blizzard should do the same thing. The lag is bad sure at times and can be fixed. Blizzard should fix it, but not issue refunds.

I can understand if you bought a car or a lawnmower and in the first week a wheel falls off but you refuse to let it be fixed because it is within your right to "not deal with this piece of fucking shit"

But to go out and mow 5,000 lawns or drive 20,000 miles and then ask for a refund? That is bullshit.

The game isn't going to change significantly from day 10 to day 30 and you don't get to lvl 55 and 40 by it being completely unplayable.

Actually if I know that I have a 30 day window to test out a product before committing to it I'd try it out in all situations before I decide to keep or return it. Things like server lag completely ruining my game for weeks on in just add to the negative side of my checklist of good / bad aspects of the game.

These type games aren't meant to be enjoyed for 5 hours and then laid to rest. They are supposed to be addicting to the point where you'd use real money to outfit your virtual make believe character. Your dress up doll if you will allow your imagination to take hold of you.

If you want to know if you're willing to put 7 years of time into your character, you should find out within the first 30 days. You can try the launch game, patches to see what the developers are thinking, and read their blogs on the future of the game within those 30 days. Then make your decision in a rational manner.

Picking up D3 and playing for 2 hours and screaming, "This sucks! I want a refund!" makes you look ignorant as you haven't scratched the surface of the game. Spending your 30 day refund period making this decision gives you a much better idea of "Is this what I really want?"

If Blizzard didn't think people deserved 30 days to make a decision then why did they allot them this time? I commend Blizzard for setting a precedence for the gaming community. This way they can continue developing for their true fans; the ones that stick around after 30 days.

Diablo 3 is the reason why I will never pay $60 for a game ever again. If they lowered the price down to $20 then it would be worth it. For $30 you can get games that blow it out of the water. I have my reasons for saying this but I'm sure that the other posters have already mentioned these things such as the auction house, 4 player limit, very limited and mundane re playability, etc.

I haven't played a game that I enjoyed playing for 88 hours like I did Diablo. Am I bored of the game? Sure, but is it a problem with the game? No.

Life On Hit.

Yes. They nerfed the way wizard skills function with it. So the reason why the CM build was so broken was because Living Lightning and Venom Weapon would count each hit as a separate roll chance to trigger CM or Paralysis. Now it only counts as 1 hit which severely nerfs Life On Hit inherently as well. I also believe all Wizard skills that could/can hit multiple times has been changed to work this way as well. Blizzard could have been smart about it and left Tank Wizard builds in much better shape by giving CM a small ICD. The chance on CM was already nerfed from beta. Beta it was like 35-40% chance, now I believe it's like ~10%?

Wait really? I was on the fence about building for this while thinking that 1 crit = 1 second off, no matter what. Talk about useless. Too few abilities with cooldowns (isn't it only survivability stuff and archon?)

And whoever mentioned previously about how wizards are static--i would agree. I have tried to go fire wizard or ice wizard, but the passives are just not good enough. We all just end up with the same shit.

Their diversity only lasted Nomral -- Hell (normal through nightmare, really, but that's only because it was so easy you could literally use anything on your bar and be okay--which just proves how imbalanced it all is)

Wait really? I was on the fence about building for this while thinking that 1 crit = 1 second off, no matter what. Talk about useless. Too few abilities with cooldowns (isn't only survivability stuff and archon?)

And whoever mentioned previously about how wizards are static--i would agree. I have tried to go fire wizard or ice wizard, but the passives are just not good enough. We all just end up with the same shit.

Their diversity only lasted Nomral -- Hell

Yep it's 10%, it was never 100%. It only felt that way because LL/Venom would hit a mob 5-6 times and if you had any amount of IAS it could feel like it was 100%. An ICD on CM would have fixed the "exploit (lol at people calling it an exploit)" without making SO many things useless on a Wizard.

Also yea I said wizard's are static and I fully agree with your Normal-Hell thing. My wizard felt like a fucking badass in Norm-Hell with skills like Disintegrate and Archon but come Inferno? Let me just Kite with Blizzard/Venom hydra all day while spamming Arcane Orbs. Oh and let's not forget that CC is nerfed in Inferno and that Wizard's don't have an 80% slow which means that at most monsters take maybe 1-2 seconds of blizzard unless you are spamming all your AP to cover a huge trail.

At least DH's can have constant DPS on a target because every hit gives the full damage, not to mention that Hungering Arrow automatically seeks and can pierce again for more damage.

Honestly at this point I really really hope Blizzard sits down for the class balance patch and re-evaulates the Wizard skills and play style. It's far too fucking boring compared to WD/DH. At least on my WD it's still hilarious to use Mass Confusion once in awhile on elites and watch them bash each other's faces in.:D:p

Actually if I know that I have a 30 day window to test out a product before committing to it I'd try it out in all situations before I decide to keep or return it. Things like server lag completely ruining my game for weeks on in just add to the negative side of my checklist of good / bad aspects of the game.

These type games aren't meant to be enjoyed for 5 hours and then laid to rest. They are supposed to be addicting to the point where you'd use real money to outfit your virtual make believe character. Your dress up doll if you will allow your imagination to take hold of you.

If you want to know if you're willing to put 7 years of time into your character, you should find out within the first 30 days. You can try the launch game, patches to see what the developers are thinking, and read their blogs on the future of the game within those 30 days. Then make your decision in a rational manner.

Picking up D3 and playing for 2 hours and screaming, "This sucks! I want a refund!" makes you look ignorant as you haven't scratched the surface of the game. Spending your 30 day refund period making this decision gives you a much better idea of "Is this what I really want?"

If Blizzard didn't think people deserved 30 days to make a decision then why did they allot them this time? I commend Blizzard for setting a precedence for the gaming community. This way they can continue developing for their true fans; the ones that stick around after 30 days.

I keep hearing server lag, but then the same people have lvl 60s etc and are playing in inferno. Does server lag suck? Yes. Is it annoying at times? Yes, but I am getting it less than 10 percent of any time I decide to play the game.

And I live in an 1980s house, with a 3mbit connection over wireless. Seriously I am getting pings under 200 on a regular basis.

Lag isn't ruining your experience enough to get a refund. Now if you tried to play the game for 29 days only to reach lvl 20 because lag prevented you from getting any further than you would have a valid point. However I have yet to see people say that.

And your point about playing for 2 hours to scratch the surface. That sounds about right. Blizzard didn't put a starter edition out there with the intention that people would play the starter edition which took about 2 hours, go out and buy the game and then ask for a refund.

I honestly don't think blizzard intends you to play Diablo 3 for 7 years. Like I said before people played Diablo 2 for 8 years because there was nothing better. Times have changed and Blizzard knows this.

You will have Diablo 4/5 out there 7 years from now.

The whole reason Blizzard is refunding the game purchases is because they know the gaming community is full of whiners that will just call in their support lines 24 hours a day or make a bunch of internet posts saying the game sucks for all eternity when it just better to give their money back to make them shut up.

More cost effective.

Wait really? I was on the fence about building for this while thinking that 1 crit = 1 second off, no matter what. Talk about useless. Too few abilities with cooldowns (isn't only survivability stuff and archon?)

Their diversity only lasted Nomral -- Hell

Blizzard always seems to launch their games with tons of diversity in builds and play style. As soon as one person figures out a combo that allows them to get further along than another, Blizzard nerfs stuff "into the ground!" as they say in WoW. Thus there will always be one static build that everyone uses and a few others that hardcore players will try to be different with. But if the stuff hits the fan they will revert back to old trusty that always works.

And yes, Blizzard always promises that they are nerfing things for your own good. In actuality the developers get headaches trying to balance all the diversity they built into the game. Nerfing is the path of least resistance.

Yep it's 10%, it was never 100%. It only felt that way because LL/Venom would hit a mob 5-6 times and if you had any amount of IAS it could feel like it was 100%. An ICD on CM would have fixed the "exploit (lol at people calling it an exploit)" without making SO many things useless on a Wizard.

Also yea I said wizard's are static and I fully agree with your Normal-Hell thing. My wizard felt like a fucking badass in Norm-Hell with skills like Disintegrate and Archon but come Inferno? Let me just Kite with Blizzard/Venom hydra all day while spamming Arcane Orbs. Oh and let's not forget that CC is nerfed in Inferno and that Wizard's don't have an 80% slow which means that at most monsters take maybe 1-2 seconds of blizzard unless you are spamming all your AP to cover a huge trail.

At least DH's can have constant DPS on a target because every hit gives the full damage, not to mention that Hungering Arrow automatically seeks and can pierce again for more damage.

Honestly at this point I really really hope Blizzard sits down for the class balance patch and re-evaulates the Wizard skills and play style. It's far too fucking boring compared to WD/DH. At least on my WD it's still hilarious to use Mass Confusion once in awhile on elites and watch them bash each other's faces in.:D:p

You are right. I just want to bitch about the DH because I want to play all the other classes.

It's just when you get right down to it, when all that talk about "billions of builds" ends up being like 5, I get a little :(

Well with the way drops are, you'll be able to sell an item once a week, maybe. It'll be interesting how much a good item goes for though.

I have great luck getting stuff that's good for other players. I sell probably 8-10 items a day, as is. Nothing terribly big ticket yeat, as my "main" is only level 53.

I'm actually wearing a total of 1 dropped upgrade, the rest I've found in the AH which was considerably better than what I had. On the other hand, I've given one of my buddies who plays a WD ~10 or so upgrades.

It's just when you get right down to it, when all that talk about "billions of builds" ends up being like 5, I get a little :(

There were plenty of people (myself included) talking about how in the end there will only be a few viable builds, that posted in this thread alone. I understand Blizzard did the whole "play however you want!" but I just can't understand how people would actually believe that. :confused: I mean.. How many online RPGs allow billions/millions/thousands/even hundreds of viable builds?

I keep hearing server lag, but then the same people have lvl 60s etc and are playing in inferno. Does server lag suck? Yes. Is it annoying at times? Yes, but I am getting it less than 10 percent of any time I decide to play the game.

And I live in an 1980s house, with a 3mbit connection over wireless. Seriously I am getting pings under 200 on a regular basis.

Lag isn't ruining your experience enough to get a refund. Now if you tried to play the game for 29 days only to reach lvl 20 because lag prevented you from getting any further than you would have a valid point. However I have yet to see people say that.

And your point about playing for 2 hours to scratch the surface. That sounds about right. Blizzard didn't put a starter edition out there with the intention that people would play the starter edition which took about 2 hours, go out and buy the game and then ask for a refund.

I honestly don't think blizzard intends you to play Diablo 3 for 7 years. Like I said before people played Diablo 2 for 8 years because there was nothing better. Times have changed and Blizzard knows this.

You will have Diablo 4/5 out there 7 years from now.

The whole reason Blizzard is refunding the game purchases is because they know the gaming community is full of whiners that will just call in their support lines 24 hours a day or make a bunch of internet posts saying the game sucks for all eternity when it just better to give their money back to make them shut up.

More cost effective.

Actually lag does ruin it for me. I live in North Carolina and my ping to BF3 servers is 22 - 27. I get pissy mad if I hit 47ms ping. Bullets rubberband around corners, mystery grenades take me out, etc.

In Diablo III I was at 400ms - 2,000ms all the time until the last patch. The last patch put me at 175ms. I just have to play better than everyone else to accomplish what you'll are doing. I have to memorize where every mob is that can one shot me and plan ahead. Whereas you might mess up and go OMG I forgot about him! I go, "shit time to die!"

Now the auction house still eats my auctions, still won't allow me to search it 1/2 the time and all my gear comes from it. Before I load into a quest zone I check the AH. If I can't use it or it's too laggy I just quit there as I know that I don't have a reason to play this session. This happens a lot to me.

And not to be mean but if the logins were down for your bank or debit card for 10% of the time you'd switch banks. For me it's much more than that. Sorry about the spellcheck; pizza is burning!

There were plenty of people (myself included) talking about how in the end there will only be a few viable builds, that posted in this thread alone. I understand Blizzard did the whole "play however you want!" but I just can't understand how people would actually believe that. :confused: I mean.. How many online RPGs allow billions/millions/thousands/even hundreds of viable builds?

If you don't count Inferno which Blizzard says only 1.9% of the population is in....then many! :D:p

I didn't necessarily believe them, but considering how much money they have i expected them to take the time to test shit.

Actually lag does ruin it for me. I live in North Carolina and my ping to BF3 servers is 22 - 27. I get pissy mad if I hit 47ms ping. Bullets rubberband around corners, mystery grenades take me out, etc.

In Diablo III I was at 400ms - 2,000ms all the time until the last patch. The last patch put me at 175ms. I just have to play better than everyone else to accomplish what you'll are doing. I have to memorize where every mob is that can one shot me and plan ahead. Whereas you might mess up and go OMG I forgot about him! I go, "shit time to die!"

Now the auction house still eats my auctions, still won't allow me to search it 1/2 the time and all my gear comes from it. Before I load into a quest zone I check the AH. If I can't use it or it's too laggy I just quit there as I know that I don't have a reason to play this session. This happens a lot to me.

And not to be mean but if the logins were down for your bank or debit card for 10% of the time you'd switch banks. For me it's much more than that. Sorry about the spellcheck; pizza is burning!

Logins are down at my bank about 10 percent of the time. I am not switching banks. The need to check my balance at any one time is not the same as my need to play video games at this hour on this date.

I can search the auction house just fine and I am getting around 100-200 ms in games I am playing on BF3. My ping to the server might be 59 ms or something in the server browser but that isn't always the case in game.

In fact I don't think the human eye can even detect the difference between something like a 50 ms to 100 ms gaming experience. I couldnt 100 percent tell you that I died from lag in a game like Diablo 3 if I was getting 90 ms compared to 190 ms.

I mean there network switches in data centers that take around 2-10 MS to response to a command.

You are telling me you are connecting to a BF3 server from your computer to your ISP and have it routed to the BF3 and back to your house at around 25 MS?

I call bullshit. In fact I call bullshit that anyone is even getting a 20 MS ping on half of the ISPs that are residential internet access.

If you hadn't said "online RPG's" I could have named some. ;)

Logins are down at my bank about 10 percent of the time. I am not switching banks. The need to check my balance at any one time is not the same as my need to play video games at this hour on this date.

I can search the auction house just fine and I am getting around 100-200 ms in games I am playing on BF3. My ping to the server might be 59 ms or something in the server browser but that isn't always the case in game.

In fact I don't think the human eye can even detect the difference between something like a 50 ms to 100 ms gaming experience. I couldnt 100 percent tell you that I died from lag in a game like Diablo 3 if I was getting 90 ms compared to 190 ms.

I mean there network switches in data centers that take around 2-10 MS to response to a command.

You are telling me you are connecting to a BF3 server from your computer to your ISP and have it routed to the BF3 and back to your house at around 25 MS?

I call bullshit. In fact I call bullshit that anyone is even getting a 20 MS ping on half of the ISPs that are residential internet access.

:confused:

It is incredibly easy to tell when you're fucked by lag.

If you're playing CoD: Watch their replay--they start shooting you way before you even saw them on your screen.

If you're playing D3: when a melee guy hits you from across the screen. Rubber banding is a whole other issue, where you're teleported back where you just came from, and everything is suddenly surrounding you.

If you're playing LoL: your dude glitches out and walks all funny. Takes a few moments to respond to your actions.

I feel stupid for explaining the effects of lag because i figured it was obvious.

I've definitely died to lag in D3, as well as rubberbanding. It doesn't become apparent until Hell or Inferno, since nothing can kill you in a couple hits in Normal - NM.

:confused:

It is incredibly easy to tell when you're fucked by lag.

If you're playing CoD: Watch their replay--they start shooting you way before you even saw them on your screen.

If you're playing D3: when a melee guy hits you from across the screen. Rubber banding is a whole other issue, where you're teleported back where you just came from, and everything is suddenly surrounding you.

If you're playing LoL: your dude glitches out and walks all funny. Takes a few moments to respond to your actions.

I feel stupid for explaining the effects of lag because i figured it was obvious.

What....Yea it is obvious when that said lag reaches 700 to 2000 milliseconds, but something like 90-180ish. Doubtful.

I've definitely died to lag in D3, as well as rubberbanding. It doesn't become apparent until Hell or Inferno, since nothing can kill you in a couple hits in Normal - NM.

Yea and I have too, but my lag was around 500 to 1,000. I have monitored the lag at like 74 to 90 and even up to like 160-180ish and it all plays the same.

You aren't going to get 25 ms.

What....Yea it is obvious when that said lag reaches 700 to 2000 milliseconds, but something like 90-180ish. Doubtful.

I notice the difference between 49 and 200. D3 is always at 200ish, and I assume that's how mobs are hitting me from across the screen with their swords.

For me if I purchase your game at $1, $60, or $100 and you promise server access and don't deliver then I deserve a refund as you didn't meet your commitment. Same as if I bought a tuxedo; I'd expect it to have pants to go with the top or it's not a tuxedo. Same with server access.

My AH experience is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's ok as in it takes 30 secs for each purchase to go through on a good day. On a bad day all it does is spam error 37017 and other shit back to me. I used to have them on a notepad file but I deleted it when I gave up on the game.

My BF3 ping is what I said it was. Even when I played WoW I could tell the difference between 30ms, 50ms, or 200ms if by only by the amount of time it took for me to cast a spell on my warlock. The damage meter told the story also as my damage potential would go down if I was a little laggy.

So you honestly can't tell the difference in pings when you play online games? I find that pretty amazing in it's self. I don't say that to be mean at all. I honestly am flabbergasted by this statement.

Why does it seem game latency has gotten worse rather than better over time?

I miss playing CS on our clan pub server in San Jose...with 9 ping. LPBs ftw. :D

And as for the game refunds...if the game isn't working for you, or the lag is unbearable, fine, get your refund. But if you're playing it full on for 29 days with 5 different toons and 40+ hours into it - you've gotten your moneys worth and are gaming the system.

Back