Diablo 3 Beta

It's something they do all the time in WoW. The hardest boss encounters are sometimes unbeaten by the internal testing team, but they can project the feasibility of clearing the content if enough progress is made. Top level guilds sometimes surpass those expectations (through legitimate means or otherwise), so it's nice to know that the players are actually the first to clear some of the hardest content.

Inferno should be hard. Should.

Q: Was anyone in the internal test team able to beat D3 Inferno difficulty?
A: no

Source.

Yea... I'm not sure if I'm "impressed" with something like that. Anyone can add a few 0's to the enemy's stats but that doesn't mean it's well designed. I think D3 difficulties will largely be gear checks, meh.

Yea... I'm not sure if I'm "impressed" with something like that. Anyone can add a few 0's to the enemy's stats but that doesn't mean it's well designed. I think D3 difficulties will largely be gear checks, meh.

I was thinking this the other day I hope there are some intelligent monsters out there that have some cool mechanics. I think it's really gonna be all about the hero monster packs.. they were saying some of their abilities get really crazy in the higher difficulties

Same, but I can certainly understand how it would strongly appeal to some players.

I'm glad it's still in for those who like it.

One of the side effects of HC may be a gold bloat. Expensive repairs from constant Inferno deaths were mentioned in one of the dev videos. HC characters never have to repair from deaths, lol. On the positive side, all that extra gold will let you craft new gear for your replacement characters.

I'm running an assassin through HC D2 singleplayer now. Figure she will die before D3's release date. In the 40s already, max Fade, max block, lots of damage reduction. :D

You get enough character slots in D3 to have one of each class in SC, and one of each in HC, so that's probably what I will do. When a HC dies you can archive it to free up the slot.

Last edited:
One of the side effects of HC may be a gold bloat. Expensive repairs from constant Inferno deaths were mentioned in one of the dev videos. HC characters never have to repair from deaths, lol. On the positive side, all that extra gold will let you craft new gear for your replacement characters.

I'm running an assassin through HC D2 singleplayer now. Figure she will die before D3's release date. In the 40s already, max Fade, max block, lots of damage reduction. :D

You get enough character slots in D3 to have one of each class in SC, and one of each in HC, so that's probably what I will do. When a HC dies you can archive it to free up the slot.

I think If I got to any level above 30 and died in hardcore I would have a serious fit..

I think If I got to any level above 30 and died in hardcore I would have a serious fit..

I'm not that hardcore about games anymore, not that I ever really was, even though I tried to be in my younger years. But I don't think I'd ever try Hardcore if I want to keep my sanity. Somehow the thought of playing hours and hours, days and days, WEEKS even, constantly, only to lose all that work, would kind of make me want to shoot a place up.

I'm not that hardcore about games anymore, not that I ever really was, even though I tried to be in my younger years. But I don't think I'd ever try Hardcore if I want to keep my sanity. Somehow the thought of playing hours and hours, days and days, WEEKS even, constantly, only to lose all that work, would kind of make me want to shoot a place up.

agreed ! I'm in a similar boat as you :p.

Personally I hope to myself that my time is valuable enough that hardcore just won't work for me. Sucks the beta is over... let a bunch of people use my account though, successfully got like 20 people to play with now :D

The real killers happen so quick you spend a minute going "wtf just happened??" Then anger, then depression, then acceptance and re-rolling. You skip the denial and bargaining stages of grief; there's no denying it and no one can help you. :p

Diablo games are about the journey. A character is 'lost' whether it dies or you just get bored of it and reroll. A max-level character just sits around farming and doing nothing with no more challenges facing it and you will have SC slots for that.

The real killers happen so quick you spend a minute going "wtf just happened??" Then anger, then depression, then acceptance and re-rolling. You skip the denial and bargaining stages of grief; there's no denying it and no one can help you. :p

Diablo games are about the journey. A character is 'lost' whether it dies or you just get bored of it and reroll. A max-level character just sits around farming and doing nothing with no more challenges facing it and you will have SC slots for that.

thats where inferno steps in!

I was thinking this the other day I hope there are some intelligent monsters out there that have some cool mechanics. I think it's really gonna be all about the hero monster packs.. they were saying some of their abilities get really crazy in the higher difficulties

There will be a ramp up in the monsters skills and "alertness" across the difficulties. I'm interested to see what they will add to make things interesting. Some well-intentioned mechanics might end up being a chore for the fast-paced action style of D3. For example, I'm already *very slightly* annoyed by those shielded skeleton enemies that require multiple hits to kill if you attack them head on. Right now it doesn't matter because everything dies so fast. But imagine in later difficulties where they're invincible or extremely difficult to kill from the front. It makes things more interesting than before and forces you pay more attention, but IDK if it's a fun way to add diversity to the gameplay since it can disrupt the flow of the game. We'll have to wait and see what else they came up with.

There will be a ramp up in the monsters skills and "alertness" across the difficulties. I'm interested to see what they will add to make things interesting. Some well-intentioned mechanics might end up being a chore for the fast-paced action style of D3. For example, I'm already *very slightly* annoyed by those shielded skeleton enemies that require multiple hits to kill if you attack them head on. Right now it doesn't matter because everything dies so fast. But imagine in later difficulties where they're invincible or extremely difficult to kill from the front. It makes things more interesting than before and forces you pay more attention, but IDK if it's a fun way to add diversity to the gameplay since it can disrupt the flow of the game. We'll have to wait and see what they came up with.

Is this playing solo or in a group? I would imagine that Hell/Inferno would require much higher group coordination as well, so in your example a teammate would hopefully hit the skeletons from the rear while you're holding their attention.

Wrong.

It's been stated many many times on the blizzard forums that as you progress through the different difficulties.

Not only do bosses get new skills/abilities to use against you, but they also have increasingly tougher AI.

There will be a ramp up in the monsters skills and "alertness" across the difficulties. I'm interested to see what they will add to make things interesting. Some well-intentioned mechanics might end up being a chore for the fast-paced action style of D3. For example, I'm already *very slightly* annoyed by those shielded skeleton enemies that require multiple hits to kill if you attack them head on. Right now it doesn't matter because everything dies so fast. But imagine in later difficulties where they're invincible or extremely difficult to kill from the front. It makes things more interesting than before and forces you pay more attention, but IDK if it's a fun way to add diversity to the gameplay since it can disrupt the flow of the game. We'll have to wait and see what else they came up with.

As long as there are few enough tough enemies, i think it will definitely be an improvement over D2, where you just spammed all your moves and everything died. Thought > spam imo

Is this playing solo or in a group? I would imagine that Hell/Inferno would require much higher group coordination as well, so in your example a teammate would hopefully hit the skeletons from the rear while you're holding their attention.

D3 is designed to be soloable even in Inferno. I'm not expecting overly fancy mechanics that requires *that* much teamwork, especially things that call for MMO-like mechanics of Tank/Healer/DPS. They demonstrated things like "bullet hell" gameplay a while back, where you dodge a flurry of slow moving projectiles to survive. It's like those side-scrolling shmups (shoot-em-ups) like Touhou games. That was years ago though so the idea could have been scrapped since then.

I imagine that individual survival will be the biggest factor to clear the content (even in multiplayer).

Last edited:
Anyone else booked time off for the release week or am I the dorkiest individual on this board?

Pretty dorky. Though I will say I'm bummed it's coming out the 15th and not next week. I am taking off all next week and will have nothing to do on the 11th, 12th and 13th.

Anyone else booked time off for the release week or am I the dorkiest individual on this board?

I am taking that friday off.. what sucks is I'm actually going to a show in L.A. that weekend the 19th so I deserve to take friday off so I have enough time to play :D

Absolutely not. Although I will be a bit less honest and will be "working from home." :D The worst part though is I will be out of town the first TWO weekends after release...argh!

Well, happy to know I'm not the only one, at least it's paid time off!

I just hope the servers won't be down too often, WOW Launch Week i'm looking at you!

Well, happy to know I'm not the only one, at least it's paid time off!

I just hope the servers won't be down too often, WOW Launch Week i'm looking at you!

It's been in closed beta for over 6 months which was essentially all for server stability.. should be good to go :)

I played starcraft 2 a lot and I never really saw b.net 2.0 go down at all either, never had much latency issues too.. hopefully that stays true for d3 :D

STILL NOT SOLD! Beta Looked and played dated as hell. I have NO IDEA what took them that many years!!

It's been in closed beta for over 6 months which was essentially all for server stability.. should be good to go :)

I played starcraft 2 a lot and I never really saw b.net 2.0 go down at all either, never had much latency issues too.. hopefully that stays true for d3 :D

It was down half the time for open beta.

That's true. I played SC2 essentially non stop for a few days after release and saw no server issues with bnet 2.0.

Hopefully there were a lot of lessons learned from the craptastic open beta weekend with regards to server stability. Although, the open beta was technically open to everyone and not just people who bought the game.

Maybe it's blind, but I have faith that the company running the largest MMO will be able to navigate their way through the D3 launch without many problems.

Maybe it's blind, but I have faith that the company running the largest MMO will be able to navigate their way through the D3 launch without many problems.

Blizzard has a tradition of totally underestimating network demand on new releases. You don't mess with tradition. I will HIGHLY surprised if D3 isn't a lagfest for the first few weeks.

It was down half the time for open beta.

I think you are exaggerating for emphasis which is okay, but I've been in closed since about a month after it started and I haven't had any issues. Played with a couple of friends during the open beta period with no problems either.

like somebody stated before I think the open beta probably had a lot more people playing than the actual amount that will purchase.

one thing about Blizzard they like that polished effect I can't see there being an issue day 1

I would hope so, but the open beta was actually down for quite a few hours.

I don't understand why you didn't expect this. It was a clear and announced test of server stability. They took it down at times to adjust, tweak, make notes, whatever... to try and ensure this stuff doesn't happen at launch.

one thing about Blizzard they like that polished effect I can't see there being an issue day 1

They were still patching Diablo 2 10 years later...

I guess you can either look at that as "hey, this company supports their games for a long time" or "hey, this company takes forever to fix shit". Or both. :D

They were still patching Diablo 2 10 years later...

I guess you can either look at that as "hey, this company supports their games for a long time" or "hey, this company takes forever to fix shit". Or both. :D

all games need continued support.. especially 10 year old software :D

I think you are exaggerating for emphasis which is okay, but I've been in closed since about a month after it started and I haven't had any issues. Played with a couple of friends during the open beta period with no problems either.

like somebody stated before I think the open beta probably had a lot more people playing than the actual amount that will purchase.

I think the open beta was a great indicator or general interest and potential network load. Having these issues on May 15th launch day is inexcusable. Having said this I still plan on purchasing D3 but I'm going to wait until a few days after to play it. Nothing kills my enjoyment of a game than lag or disconnects.

I don't understand why you didn't expect this. It was a clear and announced test of server stability. They took it down at times to adjust, tweak, make notes, whatever... to try and ensure this stuff doesn't happen at launch.

Like I said, I would hope so. This will be their biggest release since WoW.

Back