Diablo 3 Beta

go into %program data%\battle.net and move those folders out.

fire up the launcher, disable P2P downloads ( could be taxing your upload ) then click play, those folders rebuild and you're good, no lag.

Or that's been an issue for some people anyhow, i had it and that fixed it for me.

I'm going to try that tonight after the torture session with the wife...

As far as rerolling classes, I think the emphasis will be on collecting the approriate gear to min/max a specific build, so if you want to change your build instead of rerolling you would do runs to collect the best gear for that build.

Sooo...basically grinding like in WoW then? There is no font large enough for the "meh" that makes me feel.

I'll definitely get this game, question is when...most likely not for $60 at launch.

^D2 is basically a Godfather to all grinding games. If you expected a rich storyline and an amazing set of quests out of D3, then you might be in for a disappointing, I'm afraid.

^D2 is basically a Godfather to all grinding games. If you expected a rich storyline and an amazing set of quests out of D3, then you might be in for a disappointing, I'm afraid.

Uhhh that pretty much was the whole point of D2. Sure it had the grinding aspect and what not but the story was extremely well done. You're saying all you should expect from D3 is a grinding game? I think D3 should be held to a higher standard than D2 considering the time they've taken to make it and money they've poured into it. Too bad it's pretty much a piece of junk.

I dunno, I liked the skill tree in Diablo 2 more than this current system, though. I'd rather have the build be strong due to well-placed skill points rather than waiting solely on random loot. I like getting loot as much as the next guy, but grinding for loot to try to make a viable build just seems awful.

I understand why Blizzard got rid of attributes and skill points, I'm just not sure that I like it. I played a lot of D2 and never really cared about "max builds"...my random build worked just fine for playing through the campaign multiple times. It's like they changed it to get rid of these "max builds" when I'm pretty sure most D2 players didn't care about them in the first place.

The main problem, in my mind, is that they are trying to make it like WoW. If I wanted to play WoW...I would play WoW. I want to play a sequel to Diablo 2.

^Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't like the new system in D3 at all, either. I was nearly commenting on the grinding aspect of the game. Pretty sure it will be similar to that in D2. Once we find that one or two monsters, we'll MF them every 5 minutes for that perfect drop. The same way we did MF runs on Meph/Diablo/Baal.

And I completely agree with your WoW argument. If I wanted to play WoW... I would.

There seems to be quite a bit of negative about D3. Lets look at some of the positives.

I must say that I am quite impressed with ambient sound and overall sound in the game. At the end of the day they were trying to do a continuation of the game, but not the same game. I am sure as most Blizzard products go it will be an entertaining game.

I played D2 for a long time and I am looking forward to playing D3 as well. I played through most of the characters and liked all of them so far and the way they were designed. Sure its got some bugs, but it is a beta after all.

Only gripe is that its taking a bit longer to release.

So, nuking those files helped a little, but it still hiccups on new sounds. I ran into the templar down in the cathedral dungeon, and every time he so much as farted it herkajerked. P2P leechification is turned off, but it is kinda funny that the main bar on the launcher shows a complete download while the connection status window shows I only have something like 2.5 out of 3.something gigs download... with no transfer connections. Weird.

Anyhow, I've been having fun with it as a demon hunter. Had the blacksmith make me some cool stuff... Tried out the little crossbows and a bigger bow. The way they do skills is definitely different, but it's something I can live with since I'm spending most of my time in the action (between herkajerkabarbls).

What kind of video card and FPS is everyone getting in the beta? I'm still rocking my 4870 1Gb and generally get mid 40's, but I'm looking to upgrade for better frame rate before release.

I'm not even sure how to check the fps (On the latency bar?) but it's running perfectly smoothly on my system. No hiccups whatsoever.

Yeah I've just been running fraps to check. Honestly I could manage fine with the 4870, but I want best of the best for this game. I've only been waiting 7 years for it :)

So, nuking those files helped a little, but it still hiccups on new sounds. I ran into the templar down in the cathedral dungeon, and every time he so much as farted it herkajerked. P2P leechification is turned off, but it is kinda funny that the main bar on the launcher shows a complete download while the connection status window shows I only have something like 2.5 out of 3.something gigs download... with no transfer connections. Weird.

Anyhow, I've been having fun with it as a demon hunter. Had the blacksmith make me some cool stuff... Tried out the little crossbows and a bigger bow. The way they do skills is definitely different, but it's something I can live with since I'm spending most of my time in the action (between herkajerkabarbls).

I've heard turning the sound quality down might help. I personally turned mine back up. However you might need to finish the download, try getting back to the launcher and seeing if it finishes downloading.

That could be part of your stutter.

What kind of video card and FPS is everyone getting in the beta? I'm still rocking my 4870 1Gb and generally get mid 40's, but I'm looking to upgrade for better frame rate before release.

I'm running the machine in my sig and getting 60 FPS flat with Vsync, no matter what happens on the screen. I even went into my Nvidia control panel and turned on 32xcsaa with Ambient Occlusion. The game seems to run smoother with Vsync on. I was playing with Vsync forced off and noticed the game was kind of gittery but not in the sense of frame loss it was weird.

Without Vsync though I was maxing the frame cap, D3 seems to have a 100 frame cap which might have been causing the abnormality.

The skills shown in-game didn't have any actual numbers attached to them, so there was no immediate way for me to tell if something was better/worse. There are skill calculators on the D3 website that show hard numbers, but for people still rocking single monitors, that could be very frustrating

This was a (stupid) recent change to the tooltips to make them more user (retard) friendly. If you hold down control while mousing over skills, it shows you numbers and mechanics in more detail. I don't know why they did this, but I assume that they will make it a togglable option in the menus eventually.

I really don't see the argument for stat allocation - it really didn't add anything to the game. It pretty much went like this:

1. Never put anything in energy
2. Put enough str to wear your base armor
3. Are you using a shield? Put enough dex to cap block (broken mechanic)
4. All remaining points to vitality so you don't get 1 shot on higher difficulty
5. Find / make a better armor that provides more base strength / dex? Remake character and repeat steps 2-5

This was not a fundamental issue with stat allocation, but rather a balance issue with the stats in Diablo 2. Energy was always horrible, block was overpowered and poorly implemented, and the strength requirements on armor didn't make much sense for non-melee classes. And even with the major balance problems between the stats, it's still more complex than the list is in Diablo 3:

1. Play the game

But if I may continue to suck the dick of the greatest loot game ever made, MedianXL mod for Diablo 2, you should really check it out if you want to see interesting stat and skill mechanics that don't result in cookie cutter builds. That mod is the crowning achievement of loot whoring action RPGs. There are so many viable ways to build your character, so many mechanics that benefit in all kinds of weird ways from different stat builds. It is simply incredibly well designed (and still updated to this very day).

Alas, they'd never put that kind of stuff in a mainstream game like Diablo 3 because they are trying to sell it to a wide audience, not a psychotic one that really enjoys having 8 tabs open in Firefox on their second monitor to a bunch of different guides to obscure game mechanics not adequately explained by the game itself.

What's your opinion on the removal of attribute points and the skill tree system? Like northrop and krameriffic said, this was a big part of Diablo 2, not just the mindless clicking. The fact that you could tailor your character to exactly how you wanted it. No more obscure builds like a 'tank sorc'.

So, it's too early to tell IMO. There's not enough gear and modifications present to tell how truly customizable the characters can become. But what I do know, is that I'm a tweaker - and I always enjoyed the talent tree / attribute point building process. However, I don't miss it in D3. I should, but I don't. I level up, I go looking for my new goodies - play around for a bit, try some different combinations, and eventually settle in on the play style I want. There's a focus on continually playing the game. There's a definite "pace" to the game that doesn't get interrupted. I'm going out on a limb that they got the endgame right - but from what I've seen, the team is making good decisions - and that gives me faith.

Things I like:
1) the game's pace
2) the game is satisfying (the way heads go rolling/blasting around the screen, the blood splatters, the over the top moves)
3) With the exception of the monk and barbarian - the classes feel and play very differently
4) the artwork - it's colorful at times, gritty other times. It's a good mix and isn't repetitive.
5) game is smooth and feels like a modern game - the "playing on a grid" feel is completely gone.
6) the randomization - it's not like the older games where every spot is randomly generated. It's like instead of randomizing the lego pieces themselves onto a grid, they randomize cool lego assemblies of whole wings, areas, or buildings. Keeps things fresh, but eliminates the "rat in a random maze" feel

Things I don't like:
1) You'll never create more than one of each character type (no reason to)
2) Looks like there's still "useless" skills in the game - not many but there are some. Hopefully runes and later gear change this...

All in all though - the game is FUN. And the beta is pretty short - and it's still FUN. I've forgotten about my skepticism about the design decisions, and instead just had a good time - can you give a better compliment to a game?

One thing that bugs me so far (only having played Barbarian) is that there's no reason to not just endlessly spam Bash and possibly the Hammer one. The "basic" attack seriously has no point for Barbarian.

I feel like with their new skill-based system it's just going to end up the same as D2, where some (several?) of the skills will just be useless or underpowered.

When did you ever use the basic attack in D2 besides the early game? I remember always having some skill that replaced the regular attack for my old Barb and Druid. :D

When did you ever use the basic attack in D2 besides the early game? I remember always having some skill that replaced the regular attack for my old Barb and Druid. :D

You know, I have been a little torn on the skill tree thing but after playing the demo through several characters I started to notice something. Other Monks were using different skills than me. Other Mages too. The most basic skill, the lvl 1 skill, seems like when the runes are applied and the other modifiers are in place it will be just as viable for nightmare diff as any other you might pick depending on how you combine everything. And how you like to play.

I think there might be a lot more here than we think. The beta is so short that there is no way to judge anything at this point concerning d2 skill tree vs d3. The more I play the higher my hopes are on building a character that you can grind with but then change everything about them to PvE and PvP with some gear changes and some adjustments in skill. To me it is not more restrictive, but much less restrictive and in a good way. The more I play the higher my opinion goes of what I think they are trying to do. Five different modifiers for every skill and skills meant to work with a secondary skill that has five modifiers. Not including any weapons or other equipment based modifiers you have in place. The beta has shown me this has a lot of potential to be a lot of fun. And that's the point ain't it?

Classes.
Barb: powerful, kinda fun, mostly spam cleave and leap occasionally.
Wizard: massive fun, one shotting entire rooms, seriously easy mode.
Monk: again, powerful, fun, multiple enemy strikes, dash. Buffs are nice.

witch doctor: weakling, boring, dogs do all teh work, one shot blow dart is less frantic. zombie dash, the fire bats, are all meh.
demon hunter: weak and boring. Seems to take forever to kill specials and bosses. Elemental arrow is nice, but straight line. Arrow spray is cool enough, but slow to kill, especially compared to Wizards lazer blast. The only one I had to constantly use health potions, even with the back flipping away every chance I got.

I'm tittering between Monk and Wizard for full game.

Anyone build a Demon Hunter that seemed worth playing?

i love demon hunter are you kidding me dude? ive built an insane dps demon hunter.

In my opinon in beta for damage output burst and fun playing

#1 Wizard
#2 Demon Hunter
#3 Witch Doctor
#4 Barb & Monk bout equal

also kind of lol that you say im tittering between two classes. did you play diablo 1 or 2 ?

The whole point of diablo is to max out every class... =\ its not hard to do.

Two two have made my point. There is enough variety and flexibility in the builds that different people are coming up with majorly different builds and results.
This is with 95% the game and character development blocked.
Interestingly enough I really enjoyed the Monk and the Barb has bored me to tears.
I cannot see playing a Barb to max level. I know I will play a Monk and Mage to max already.

Interestingly enough I really enjoyed the Monk and the Barb has bored me to tears.
I cannot see playing a Barb to max level. I know I will play a Monk and Mage to max already.

The Monk certainly *feels* faster then most of the other classes. There hasn't been anything I couldn't tear through yet on my level 10 Monk.

I"m glad they are reducing the talent three stuff. You'd usually end up using 2-5 skills with most classes (barb, pally, necro, amazon). If you used other skill sit was because you were bored with the 3-5 that are decent.

I remember I tried to utilize curses with my necro once, waste. There were two that were worth anything. Some were kinda fun for the hell of it, like confusion, but useless. Just walk in , bone spear and poison nova, boom.

i feel the most boring class right now is the Monk and the Barbarian in 2nd. Most Exciting Wizard and Demon Hunter.

My two favs were the Barbarian and the Witch Doctor. Barb with Cleave and a 2hander is just fun, but the single-target DPS is sick using Frenzy and double 1handers.

Witch Doctor is the coolest, hes full of flavor, just use the grasping hands ae followed by bats/frogs/zombies/whatever. Haunt is good but boring. The dogs seem to be meant more for distraction.

Wizard = Disintegrate Beam. That spell alone is awesome.

So far i'm pretty happy with the Beta. while i miss messing with the stats and all the different skills and synergies, i am happy with the way the skills work.

In d2, i built dozens of characters. get an idea, get the gear together, do all the necessary math to figure stat points, skill points, etc. get rushed by my friends, power level, play around with my new character. it was fun, but i think now i'm no longer in college and can only play for a little bit at a time, i like the potential of this new system.

if i want to try a different build, i can use a current character, revamp the skills and regear to fit. if the new skills are worth making a new character for, then that's that. if the skill is more boring than i though, then i'll just go back to the way it was before. in my glory days i could create a character and have it at level 75 in 5 hours. now, i'm lucky if i get a full hour of play at one time, and i certainly don't have the network of friends for powerleveling and rushing. also, my favorite thing to do was the magic find, and if i don't need to spend time sitting in the cow level, or running behind hammerdins through baal, that's all the better. i enjoyed diablo 2 the most when i had about 8 or 9 really solid high level characters who were all well equipped and i could log in and get my mephisto runner, or my baal runner, or my rushing characters, etc.

I understand for the hardcore number crunchers, like i used to be, who checked fps breakpoints, blocking, max this, no points in that, that d3 leaves some to be desired, but for me personally, this fits my play and life style.

Wizard = Disintegrate Beam. That spell alone is awesome.

That spell is great, but I'm torn between using that or Arcane Orb. I personally like to move around between spell casts, but Disintegrate is so much better at destroying the environment and does great damage in general. I love the strong AoE of Arcane Orb though, combined with Spectral Blade for minor situations. Disintegrate doesn't give me the same feeling of mobility.

but i think now i'm no longer in college and can only play for a little bit at a time, i like the potential of this new system.

This. Back in school I had time to build up my main frozen orb sorc and then go and then build a charged bolt sorc up to 83. Now, if I want to screw around with some sub-optimal skill set for fun, I'd rather be able to just temporarily respec my single high level character than spend months leveling a new one.

Well, ssjsongoku said it folks.

D3 sucks, time to close this thread and tell Blizzard to cease development.

I love how the haters still take the time to read and post in this thread. If it sucks so bad why are you wasting your time reading a beta thread on it.

I wish I had that much time on my hands. I'd spend it playing a "hardcore" game instead of posting in a thread "for casuals"

H8R's gonna H8

Anyone build a Demon Hunter that seemed worth playing?

I built a Melee Demon Hunter, (his bow skills just look boring to me). I use the throwing knife, grenades and Chakram for skills, I like it and from what kind of build I have made from the website using Runes, its only going to get better. I'm trying to decide between Monk , Demon Hunter or Wizard. They are all three pretty fun.

Back