Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

Whether or not its an issue is a matter of perspective, as far as I am concerned any publisher that partakes in these sorts of shenanigans can pound sand. I am not in any way depriving myself given that I will eventually play it, and when I have a shitload of other games to work through in the mean time there is no way I am going give another game priority over the existing backlog unless its pretty damn special and the devs have gone out of their way to please the community. I am also fully expecting, given how much of a stingy fuck Square Enix is, some sort of reworked Director's Cut that existing owners are expected to pay for, so I am willing further bide my time to see whether that comes to pass.

I hear ya. :)

To my great shame, I never actually finished this game. In my defense, it was around when my GPU started acting up and I had to RMA it, so when I got it back I just sort of forgot about it. I'll finish it one of these days.

You can find it on some of the cd key sites for pretty cheapo nowadays like less than $20. Still can't decide if I want it.

I enjoyed it enough, but I think splitting it up into 4 games left the ending feeling abrupt and unsatisfying. Still a very good game... if you ignore the shameless game mode created just so Squinex could jam micrtransactions into some part of it.

I picked this up from the Winter Steam sale. Any pointers or places/stashes for someone just starting out? I've played DX:HR so I know what type of game this is.

I only have about 3 hours into it. So far, I've beaten the Dubai sandstorm mission and talked to my "doctor" about the augs and I'm on the way to see Otar(?).

I picked this up from the Winter Steam sale. Any pointers or places/stashes for someone just starting out? I've played DX:HR so I know what type of game this is.

I only have about 3 hours into it. So far, I've beaten the Dubai sandstorm mission and talked to my "doctor" about the augs and I'm on the way to see Otar(?).

Definitely go see the doctor about your augmentations ASAP (plot-wise) but feel free to look around and accept side missions as you get them. For instance, when you get out of your apartment, you can snoop around in other areas and pick up some $ and gear. The story plots are relatively straightforward and you don't have to worry about time limits or screwing much up. Just avoid full-on killing people (especially if they're non-violent) and you'll be fine.

Just finished the game myself, and thought I'd offer my observations.

Game was good, but did feel like it ended too early. Really a small environment, which wasn't bad, but seemed to make the idea of a sniper rifle pointless. I don't think I ever used it except to use it's extra power to take out a few drones/bots.

The ending felt like the game was just a setup for the next game.

I like playing DX games "realistically" non-lethal - I don't kill unless compelled to. I really didn't feel compelled to be lethal anywhere except GARM and while trying to save the delegates at the end. This is a far cry from DX1 and HR, where there were many enemies I didn't feel bad ending them. I didn't even feel like killing the final boss, and went non-lethal on him! Though electrocuting the dirty cop in Golem City was funny!

Overall a good game and worth playing, but I'm glad I didn't spend $60 on the pre-order. I actually got the game for free with a bundled AMD CPU I bought for my server. This saves me money for when part 2 comes out!

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Non-lethal is actually easier. The best two weapons in the game are the tranq rifle and stun gun. The chain takedown abilities cover your bases if they get close. The previous game made non-lethal far more challenging.

Non-lethal is actually easier. The best two weapons in the game are the tranq rifle and stun gun. The chain takedown abilities cover your bases if they get close. The previous game made non-lethal far more challenging.
No-scope tranq rifle in DX:HR was badass, c'mon :D

like this
Just finished the game myself, and thought I'd offer my observations.

Game was good, but did feel like it ended too early. Really a small environment, which wasn't bad, but seemed to make the idea of a sniper rifle pointless. I don't think I ever used it except to use it's extra power to take out a few drones/bots.

The ending felt like the game was just a setup for the next game.
I made the same observations in my review. That it ended prematurely, and felt like a third of a story.
But it was still a better game than HR by most standards.
The sniper rifle is only ever useful on the Arctic mission with the huge open areas.

With all the side stuff the game didn't feel short to me but it did seem like the main story was only half there and it could really use another hub city or two. *Minor spoilers*: It's weird that they spent more time building up the story behind Rabi'ah than they did for Panchea in HR yet you never go there and the Human Restoration Act plot could have been fleshed out more too.

Sniper rifles weren't that useful in most of the game but it made clearing things out during martial law much easier.

I didn't like how much weaker pistols were in this one, especially in regards to how many enemies had armor protecting them from headshots and that even a balaclava protects them unless you're fairly close. The overall reduced range with the pistol is more understandable but I really liked rolling around with an OP pistol in HR.

It's good that they recently gave away the pre-order mission, I already had it but it added context to the story and should have been included originally. I do wish they would stop making the DLC separate from the main game or at least let you import a save, it always feels so disjointed to suddenly go back to having only a few of the augs you're used to using.

The tranq rifle and revolver are something I never used. There was something else to. That will be on a 2nd, explosion first play through. I redid certain parts twice, but my overall time spent was 49 hours. I think it was closer to 42 minus the major re-doing of parts. Now some of the missions had bugged objective markers which threw me off in the beginning, so I spent an extra 1-2+ hours wondering around. I also experienced the bad graphical bugs in Prague. A save re-load fixes that. It does need an extra patch or two, but I think the game is lengthy enough. The main story could certainly have been longer.

I took out so many guards with a silenced pistol in HR. I loved that type of gameplay, which reminded me a lot of Goldeneye. I'm very sad that nerfed it in MD.

like this
What made the tranq rifle and stun gun so overpowered was the total lack of accuracy needed. You just aim for center mass and it's not like enemies woke up either.

like this
I took out so many guards with a silenced pistol in HR. I loved that type of gameplay, which reminded me a lot of Goldeneye. I'm very sad that nerfed it in MD.

They had to nerf that thing a little bit, though, in relation to other weapons. I had fun with it, too, but it really was insanely OPd in HR. ;)

For the most part you can still do that in this game if you want.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided- A Criminal Past DLC out February 23rd

Jensen is transferred deep into a hostile, high-security prison for augmented felons...his mission: track down and retrieve sensitive information from a fellow undercover agent who has gone dark...success will help the fight against terror around the world, but Jensen will need to confront a darker side to his role before the day is done...the second Story DLC will provide players with more insight into the lore of the Deus Ex Universe, allowing them to experience one of Adam Jensen’s first missions for TF29, set some time before the events of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided...

like this
I'm interested in playing that DLC, but I'm still not fond of starting over with the augs with any of the DLC though.

They had to nerf that thing a little bit, though, in relation to other weapons. I had fun with it, too, but it really was insanely OPd in HR. ;)

For the most part you can still do that in this game if you want.

I mostly went with non-lethal the whole game for 2 playthroughs. Next round might be all lethal, so I'll give the pistol a try.

like this
Deus Ex Mankind Divided- A Criminal Past DLC out February 23rd

Jensen is transferred deep into a hostile, high-security prison for augmented felons...his mission: track down and retrieve sensitive information from a fellow undercover agent who has gone dark...success will help the fight against terror around the world, but Jensen will need to confront a darker side to his role before the day is done...the second Story DLC will provide players with more insight into the lore of the Deus Ex Universe, allowing them to experience one of Adam Jensen’s first missions for TF29, set some time before the events of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided...

This should be good although I'm a little bummed we're not moving forward here...although I won't be surprised if there's some thread that shows up here that gets picked up down the road in something else.

If you played Stealth, you really didn't need any other weapon. After silencer and armor piercing rounds, it would take down anything. I loved it, but it did get boring after a while. I played around with the silenced sniper rifle to offset the tedium, but even that got boring after a while. I don't know that MD really improved on the over all gun play any, but it did avoid creating a one trick pony.

If you played Stealth, you really didn't need any other weapon. After silencer and armor piercing rounds, it would take down anything. I loved it, but it did get boring after a while. I played around with the silenced sniper rifle to offset the tedium, but even that got boring after a while. I don't know that MD really improved on the over all gun play any, but it did avoid creating a one trick pony.

Next round will definitely be lethal stealth NG+.

I'll probably bite on a season pass if it goes on sale. Even with the flaws to the game, I enjoyed it enough to play it again.

like this
Is this game unplayable with 8gb of ram? it seems so, just arrived to prague after first intro mission and the stutter is crazy.. i have almost nothing running in the background and the game runs worse then batman arkham knight before they patched it to better... would 16gb ram help this? never seen a game run so bad wow....

Is this game unplayable with 8gb of ram? it seems so, just arrived to prague after first intro mission and the stutter is crazy.. i have almost nothing running in the background and the game runs worse then batman arkham knight before they patched it to better... would 16gb ram help this? never seen a game run so bad wow....

I don't think it would make that big of a difference. Do you have MSAA on? That tends to be an FPS killer. Turning it off can double your FPS on some setups. Going with High settings instead of Very High and Ultra can also make a big difference with performance without looking markedly worse.

I played mostly fine with only 8GB of RAM. The issues I encountered were mainly some bugs not related to performance, aside from the occasional graphical artifacts. Some minor stutters every now and then. I don't think an extra 8GB would have helped, but I do have 16GB now.

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future...Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

I can't speak for you guys, but I can't say that I'm sad about that as long as they do finish the series. I still have yet to play MD, and maybe when they make the next game they'll create one that really knocks our socks off as opposed to the overall-good-but-could-have-been-better game we got this time.

The biggest issue with MD is the unfinished story, there was enough content but more questions than answers. Leaving it unfinished after a cliff hanger(ish) ending would be pretty crappy but hardly surprising coming from the suits that thought breach mode and microtransactions were a good idea.

Administrative types and bean counters are necessary to keep creative types on track but I'll never understand why they think they're qualified to make anything even slightly resembling a creative decision.

I can't speak for you guys, but I can't say that I'm sad about that as long as they do finish the series. I still have yet to play MD, and maybe when they make the next game they'll create one that really knocks our socks off as opposed to the overall-good-but-could-have-been-better game we got this time.

It irritates me a little. Mainly because Squenix decided to break the sequel into 4 games, so Eidoes Montreal had to stretch the story out and fill it with 'filler'. Now some of that filler turned out pretty good in MD, but the ending felt like a movie that had gone to intermission; it was abrupt and without substance. The next game was planned to come in short succession to make up for it, but now that won't happen. Plus, now they have a Marvel license, I fear it will become Eidoes Montreal's Half-Life 2: Episode 3; just an unfinished story left to hang there indefinitely. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, we'll have to see. I would gladly be mistaken.

It irritates me a little. Mainly because Squenix decided to break the sequel into 4 games, so Eidoes Montreal had to stretch the story out and fill it with 'filler'. Now some of that filler turned out pretty good in MD, but the ending felt like a movie that had gone to intermission; it was abrupt and without substance. The next game was planned to come in short succession to make up for it, but now that won't happen. Plus, now they have a Marvel license, I fear it will become Eidoes Montreal's Half-Life 2: Episode 3; just an unfinished story left to hang there indefinitely. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, we'll have to see. I would gladly be mistaken.

Sadly they already confirmed it that there will be no new deusex game in the forseable future. They'll working all out on the new tomb raider, then they'll completely focus on the marvel crap.

like this
Sadly they already confirmed it that there will be no new deusex game in the forseable future. They'll working all out on the new tomb raider, then they'll completely focus on the marvel crap.
This sucks but it doesn't surprise me. MD didn't capture the excellence of HR let alone the original. Gameplay and story were mostly good but the underwhelming level design and back and forth missions were a bit tiresome.

I'm looking forward to A Criminal Past. It might be the last bit of the DE franchise.

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future...Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon
I know a lot of people that didn't rush out to buy MD because of the silly decision making from Square Enix... had they spent all their efforts making it a superior experience to HR and trying to incorporate what made DX great to begin with, i'll bet they'd have seen bigger sales... instead the suits do what they usually do--add microtransactions and a stupid multiplayer mode and then are somehow surprised when that doesn't make people buy their single player RPG..

le sigh

It doesn't surprise me. I'm sad to see this news, though.

MD is a good game but there are some valid criticisms about how HR was better in some ways and I think that's ultimately the tale of the tape here.

I agree with the general opinion, sucks to see. HR was an incredibly good game, one of my favorites. There were indeed some valid criticisms for MD, but underneath it all, it is still a very good game. Greed killed what should have been very successful. The game had bad press from the get-go with their stupid ass pre-order scheme, and went downhill from their microtransactions. I bet if the bean counters didn't have their way with it, it would have been better received, sold better, and we wouldn't be seeing the franchise taking a hiatus.

Oh well... at least we got what we got.

Yes, this was the news I was reacting too. Being put on the back burner doesn't mean we'll never see it again, but it certainly lowers our chances significantly.

I know a lot of people that didn't rush out to buy MD because of the silly decision making from Square Enix... had they spent all their efforts making it a superior experience to HR and trying to incorporate what made DX great to begin with, i'll bet they'd have seen bigger sales... instead the suits do what they usually do--add microtransactions and a stupid multiplayer mode and then are somehow surprised when that doesn't make people buy their single player RPG..

le sigh

This was my feeling as well. I think the Dev's hearts were in it, but Square Enix fumbled it's management, as they're known to do. Still, like you guys have mentioned, I never expected to see another DX game, let alone one that honored the franchise as much as HR did. Suppose I will have to be happy with that.

like this
Well, here's to hoping that they release a Director's Cut with all of the DLC built-in that so I can play as my OP build with NG+.

like this

Shame. Apparently they're claiming sales were down, but that is likely due to the game being a bit rushed. Especially on PC. Slow start but it gets better, much better than most other games on the market as of late. I also liked the Tomb Raider games (preferred 2013 over Rise), but Deus Ex is the better game IMO. Problem is they're shifting Tomb Raider around to another studio, so who knows how that might turn out. We'll probably get a bunch of crappy super hero games, a rehashed underwhelming Tomb Raider and no Dues Ex. I'd rather have them take their time and do a proper MD sequel and allow Crystal Dynamics to take their time and make a worth sequel to TR.

I have absolutely zero interest in Marvel games. I only watched a few of the movies, and they ranged from okay to trash. I can't imagine the games being any better.

Back