Destiny 2

The Infinite Forest is one of the most disappointing things in the whole game. It's basically the one area that literally everyone sprints through in strikes. There's simply no point to it and it's not fun. It could have been fun if the randomization was a daily thing that applied to everyone (so it could be part of the main map) or something like that. Either that or at least better incorporate it into missions and strikes so that it's actually fun to play.

My hope for the new area is something akin to Nessus or especially the EDZ. The EDZ might be the only truly fleshed out map in the game, so it's definitely the gold standard. Nessus is a good level too, though.

Content-wise, I'd like to see a lot more gear that doesn't revolve around grinding random items like the forge weapons. I'd rather see gear tied to quests a la the Mida, Sturm/Drang, and a whole bunch of Destiny 1 weapons. Hopefully the new weapons and armor will have some fun effects and traits that make them worthwhile. Right now it feels like the best weapons are all pretty obviously good. Very few are oddballs or do anything particularly unique. They might have things like a kill clip, stacked damage, heavy damage, auto-aim, etc. but almost none do anything unique or different.

The Infinite Forest was infinite in the disappointment it brings - truly a missed opportunity to simulate anything, but apparently create unmemorable experiences. I actually really hate the Mercury events (missions? I don't even know what they are) and I doubt I will ever finish the Forge. It's just such tedious work for what, one? Two? Paradox Amplifiers or something?

Speaking of which, everyone does hate Mercury - it's a weird tiny area that somehow feels emptier than most other planets, not that there's any uniformity: EDZ and Nessus are huge compared to Titan and Io. It's as if they blew the budget on EDZ and Nessus, and had to do something/anything to fill out more content.

The leaks point to Mars being the new area in the second DLC. Which is funny because the theory was that Io was supposed to be Mars and got reskinned.

The Infinite Forest was infinite in the disappointment it brings - truly a missed opportunity to simulate anything, but apparently create unmemorable experiences. I actually really hate the Mercury events (missions? I don't even know what they are) and I doubt I will ever finish the Forge. It's just such tedious work for what, one? Two? Paradox Amplifiers or something?

Speaking of which, everyone does hate Mercury - it's a weird tiny area that somehow feels emptier than most other planets, not that there's any uniformity: EDZ and Nessus are huge compared to Titan and Io. It's as if they blew the budget on EDZ and Nessus, and had to do something/anything to fill out more content.

The leaks point to Mars being the new area in the second DLC. Which is funny because the theory was that Io was supposed to be Mars and got reskinned.

I did the Forge missions just out of something to do. There weren't any other new games I felt like playing, so I grinded them out. Some of the items drop with extreme regularity in normal chests and via public events. Some of the others are random strike rewards and might only show up 1/4 of the time. One of the others typically drops once per Crucible match. All in all there are probably about 150 item drops you have to collect and many won't stack more than 3 at a time. The game only lets you do 3 forge items per week, too. It's unbelievably tedious and the only thing you have to show for it is an Exotic Ghost and a couple viable but not wonderful weapons. The shotgun is the only one I think I kept. It's full-on elite for PvE. Probably the best shotgun in the game. The first one (a Scout Rifle) is also pretty solid. I ended up using it to boost the Mida Multi-Tool all the way, but the forge rifle is way better for PvE. A couple others are okay to good, but nothing spectacular considering the effort required. If they ever do anything like that again, those weapons need to all be S-grade and dropping at level 335 across the board.

you and everybody else :D. it's being used a lot after the buff. i use mostly off-meta weapons, just personal preference. the graviton lance is still really underwhelming which is a bummer because it looks cool and sounds great.
Kackis just put out a new destiny 2 video detailing what the devs were talking about during a recent livestream. The devs said they were going to make exotic weapons more powerful in general and alter weapon slots. They gave a specific example and said with the next DLC they are making the graviton lance a 2 shot pulse rifle, to increase its damage?, and when cosmology goes off the explosion is larger and void projectiles will seek out nearby targets ... pretty badass.

If they make the vigilance wing any better ... lol

Looks like Bungie is flying out the big streamers, YouTubers, and 'stats guys' to help improve the game with feedback and playtesting much like what Massive did with 'The Division.' This gives me some hope for this game as Massive made huge improvements and in short time from these "sessions" they did.

Looks like Bungie is flying out the big streamers, YouTubers, and 'stats guys' to help improve the game with feedback and playtesting much like what Massive did with 'The Division.' This gives me some hope for this game as Massive made huge improvements and in short time from these "sessions" they did.

Yeah that was a really cool move by Massive, and it did help. I’m having a blast with Destiny 2 but there’s always room for improvement.

Looks like Bungie is aware of certain things but I'm not sure where that will lead us with future patch & content releases. I can only hope major improvements occur since the community isn't as large as it was at launch (much like what The Division experienced until it was fixed).

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I haven't played in several weeks and it's telling that I haven't really missed this. I'll jump back on board when the next major update comes through.

I like the idea of exotics being better. It seems like the heavy exotics (like the Wardcliff Coil and especially the Colony) are amazing while only a few of the "normal" exotics are better than their legendary equivalents. That's the case in both PvP and PvE. There are exceptions, but I find myself only using a few of them regularly.

every other word from them is Crucible.
so its pvp win or the game dies???????
F U
Like wow 8% played pvp and it ruled the game...pvp this, pvp balance, pvp changes that ruined the rest of the game.
stupid bars...give me numbers
weapon slots that totally SUCK
sure we can make a new pvp map in a day. WEEEEEEEEEEEEE
why work on anything like 5 and 10 man or something besides 3 man strikes
why, consoles can't do that I guess
I have watched a lot of console streamers and they don't even have to aim, I assume if the crosshair is pointed in the direction of a mob they hit....WTF

overall they need to do away with 2 and just go back to 1.
It was a loot chest money grab and failed. Thank you activision

They do seem overly focused on the Crucible this time around. It's probably easier to tweak some statistics (speed, weapon damage, firing rate, etc.) than to make a new SP map I suppose. They might have statistics showing higher participation in the Crucible, too. I dunno.
With the exception of non-elite pulse rifles, nearly any weapon works fine in PvE. There is definitely more finesse to balancing the Crucible and ensuring that 2-3 weapons don't slaughter everyone.

I'm of the opinion that Destiny 2 can be "fixed" in a couple steps.
The first thing is to shift the weaker power weapons to the kinetic or energy slot, but keep their low ammo capacity. Hell, even lower it to a single clip for the Crucible. You get ammo back on death anyway. That way you have to decide on damage vs. adaptability and ammo.
The second thing they need is a Taken King style of overhaul that affects all of the existing planets. Something that makes players want to revisit them. Right now people just play the EDZ (thanks to more/faster events) and whichever planet has the weekly reward. Some sort of galaxy-wide change to those planets could finally make them interesting again.
The third thing could be as simple as just having more weapon reward quests. More Sturm/Drang, Sleeper Simulant, Abbadon, etc. They don't even have to be complicated. Make 'em revolve around hidden sectors, a randomized roaming boss, or even Strikes/Crucible rounds.

I've hit light level 305 recently. Does the game intentionally cap rare drops at 300? Seems the only way forward is to keep grinding for legendaries & exotics.

I believe without the expansion 305 is the highest you can go. I only play 4 to 6 hours a week so I'm 1 light level away from it. The grind has been fun.

Is there a HardOCP clan? My current clan I'm the only one still around.

I believe without the expansion 305 is the highest you can go. I only play 4 to 6 hours a week so I'm 1 light level away from it. The grind has been fun.

I have the season pass, so I can get up to 335 (the current cap)

I'm part of a clan (Money Power Glory) as an admin. Anyone interested in joining can PM me but at this time not many are active. The fallout from the disappointment of DLC1 kept many way. I think DLC2 will bring many people back (for a time).

There is, although I don't think (m)any people are active. I haven't seen anyone else in weeks.
Once you hit that cap, the things to focus on are strictly those "powerful weapons" weekly missions. Those reset every Tuesday. Those missions include the completing public events on one of the planets, completing 5 Crucible matches, completing 3 strikes, and earning 5K clan rewards. You can also complete the weekly Nightfall and Leviathan, too. Those missions are guaranteed to drop something that doesn't suck. At least power-wise. It might be a shitty item, but it'll be strong enough to likely level something up.
Worth noting, once someone hits level 300 I find that the good drops would come in waves. I'd go for hours (sometimes days) with nothing worthwhile. Then all of a sudden I'd see blue drops that would level me up. I never did figure out the hows and whys, but all but one of my weapons (Blue Shift) is 335 now. It's been sitting at 334 for weeks with no good drops.

Destiny 2's next expansion, Warmind, is coming in May

The second expansion to Destiny 2 has been officially unveiled as Warmind, and it's scheduled to go live on May 8th...trailer coming on April 24th...Bungie also dug deeper into the Destiny 2 development roadmap today, laying out its plans for season 3 and beyond...step one will be the 1.2.0 update that's coming with the Warmind release, which will incorporate seasonal Crucible rankings, private matches, increased vault space, Exotic Weapon masterworks, and other new features...

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46735

Should be interesting. Hopefully the new weapons are unique/good out of the box without a major update being required. Feels like only a few of the Osiris weapons stacked up well to ones in the vanilla game.
I'm also hoping that some of those lousy exotics (like the Fighting Lion) are finally more viable, too.

As far as new areas go, I'm not holding my breath for anything big. It feels awfully sudden for anything major.

The Crucible is all pulse rifles and hand cannons now. That and Colony grenades or swords. Everybody and their mom is rocking a Vigilance Wing. I've started maining the Lincoln Green.
Auto-rifles and especially SMG's just aren't cutting it. Pulses and hand cannons can cut through them in 2 trigger pulls even when not shooting first.
Hopefully the meta with the patch next month makes things a little more even. I feel like now that pulses are good, I'd like to see a tiny boost to the auto-firing weapons to make them even.

The Crucible is all pulse rifles and hand cannons now. That and Colony grenades or swords. Everybody and their mom is rocking a Vigilance Wing. I've started maining the Lincoln Green.
Auto-rifles and especially SMG's just aren't cutting it. Pulses and hand cannons can cut through them in 2 trigger pulls even when not shooting first.
Hopefully the meta with the patch next month makes things a little more even. I feel like now that pulses are good, I'd like to see a tiny boost to the auto-firing weapons to make them even.

I’ve been a fan of pulse rifles since release. I use burst rifles in most multiplayer games (think it dates back to the M16 in COD4 :D). Needless to say I’m having fun with the current state of the crucible. I like using off-meta pulse rifles though, like the Bayesian MSU and the Last Perdition (particularly good). Give them a try. It’s fun killing vigilance wing users with them.

I’ve been a fan of pulse rifles since release. I use burst rifles in most multiplayer games (think it dates back to the M16 in COD4 :D). Needless to say I’m having fun with the current state of the crucible. I like using off-meta pulse rifles though, like the Bayesian MSU and the Last Perdition (particularly good). Give them a try. It’s fun killing vigilance wing users with them.

I never really used them much because they don't seem all that great for PvE even now. It's kinda like the Mida Multi Tool. I thought that gun sucked until I started playing the Crucible. It does no damage to enemies, but it takes other players out in just a few shots. I believe I have a Last Perdition, so I'll give it a go. I've started stockpiling anything I get over 330 just in case I feel like randomly upgrading something or trying a gun that people aren't paying attention to.

It's funny, vigilance wing has always been a strong pvp gun. It was my main before I stopped playing before the Osiris expansion even came out so I can't imagine it being even more buffed now lol

With PvE pulse rifles feel like scout rifles that don't hold as much ammo. Even though they have burst fire, it's not really all that different than 1 stronger shot. It just felt like I was constantly reloading and not doing enough damage. It's PvP where things change. Mainly because other players go down much faster/easier. That and the reloading dynamic isn't the same.

This is anecdotal, but right now I'd say "most" PvP players seem to be rocking Better Devils, The Old Fashioned, Vigilance Wing, and the Colony. There are plenty of random swords (they mostly all insta-kill anyway) and people playing with whatever they happen to have, but those are by far the weapons I see most. Especially with players doing well. Sniper Rifles also seem to be getting more use thanks to power ammo being more available. On some maps they're devastating. I still see people using Origin Story, Uriel's Gift, and Postive Outlook...but they aren't typically dominant players. Hell, I can't win with them anymore. SMG's are even worse. The Mida and Antiope take forever to kill now. I feel like parity isn't that far. A tiny boost to the damage for both of those (and sidearms) and I'll be happy.

Was The Colony ever fixed on high frame rates?

It seems to work fine for me. I'm at 60fps 99.9% of the time and it seems to track with no issues at all. At least for PvP. I've never been that impressed by it in PvE.

Does Iron Banner 6v6 always take a long time at the ship formation screen? Matchmaking in general needs to be seriously tuned

It seems to work fine for me. I'm at 60fps 99.9% of the time and it seems to track with no issues at all. At least for PvP. I've never been that impressed by it in PvE.
It was above 60fps that the tracking started to break. I haven't tried it in the last few hotfixes/patches/whatever.

I also haven't played in a month? Maybe more? Eh.

It amazes me that 4v4 was justified as being good enough, and now 6v6 is being trotted out like this was the plan all along. That and more exotic exotics.

I wish they would allow me to have everything exotic and matchmaking for raids.

As underwhelming as most exotics are, it probably wouldn't unbalance the game to allow people to have multiples. At least on the weapon side. I could see the powers granted on the armor side and a few weapon combos being problematic, though.

I haven't touched 6 on 6 yet, but my hope is that it's more chaotic. I'm not a fan of Better Devils posse crowd-shooting in hallways.

A few videos came out yesterday which showed how they are planning to improve exotics. The weapons I saw were the graviton lance, rat king, and (exotic scout rifle I forget the name). They are changing the graviton lance to a 2 shot pulse, and if an enemy dies it explodes in a series of shards that seek out other enemies. The rat king is being made fully automatic and a player only needs to have it equipped (not using it) for others to get the bonus. The exotic scout rifle (my memory sucks) they are changing it so it acts the same if you are aiming down the sights, but if you aren't it will then shoot area of effect projectiles almost like a grenade launcher.

A few videos came out yesterday which showed how they are planning to improve exotics. The weapons I saw were the graviton lance, rat king, and (exotic scout rifle I forget the name). They are changing the graviton lance to a 2 shot pulse, and if an enemy dies it explodes in a series of shards that seek out other enemies. The rat king is being made fully automatic and a player only needs to have it equipped (not using it) for others to get the bonus. The exotic scout rifle (my memory sucks) they are changing it so it acts the same if you are aiming down the sights, but if you aren't it will then shoot area of effect projectiles almost like a grenade launcher.

Was it the Jade Rabbit? That one kinda sucks right now.

With the Rat King, I ended up disassembling it before actually completing it. The last step requires multiplayer to finish and at the time I just assumed I'd be going solo the entire time. Is there any way to ever get it back?

Was it the Jade Rabbit? That one kinda sucks right now.

With the Rat King, I ended up disassembling it before actually completing it. The last step requires multiplayer to finish and at the time I just assumed I'd be going solo the entire time. Is there any way to ever get it back?
It bothered me so much I had to look up the name of the exotic scout rifle ... it was the Skyburners Oath.
I am stuck on the same step with the Rat King, on all 3 characters, I really like to look of it though so the quest item is just sitting in my inventory.

It bothered me so much I had to look up the name of the exotic scout rifle ... it was the Skyburners Oath.
I am stuck on the same step with the Rat King, on all 3 characters, I really like to look of it though so the quest item is just sitting in my inventory.

It sounds like Skybruners Oath will be really fun after the update. i had the sturm quest sitting in my inventory for a long time. I tried a handful of times to complete the last mission on my own and kept dying on the last boss finally i just used the destiny companion app LFG section and hammered it out in 15 minutes. really easy, should have done that to begin with. and now i have the sturm just sitting in my vault :D. it's not great.

There was a brief period where I was maining the Sturm and Drang just because of the drops I was getting. Neither has any really impressive properties, but can do heavy damage and reload one another. The Drang surprisingly does massive damage as long as you don't mind mashing like mad and you can keep it under control. It refills the Sturm on kills (and vice versa) so they can be a neat tag team on levels with hordes of enemies. Never tried either in the Crucible.

I have the Skyburner's Oath and don't think I've ever even fired it. Most exotics I've at least tried once. I probably have 15-20 in my collection. I got the D.A.R.C.I. the other day and I'd say it, the Jade Rabbit, and especially the Fighting Lion have been the worst Exotics I've found thus far. Never have gotten the Gravitron Lance, though.

It sounds like Skybruners Oath will be really fun after the update. i had the sturm quest sitting in my inventory for a long time. I tried a handful of times to complete the last mission on my own and kept dying on the last boss finally i just used the destiny companion app LFG section and hammered it out in 15 minutes. really easy, should have done that to begin with. and now i have the sturm just sitting in my vault :D. it's not great.
I'm pretty sure they also mentioned the sturm / drang combo. I'm not sure which is which (I don't use them) but they said if you get a kill with one, and then switch to the other it will 2 shot people in the crucible.
The graviton lance, when I saw a video of the upgrade to it .... it honestly looked way overpowered.

Last edited:
I tried out the Skyburner's Oath yesterday and I actually really like it. The weird extra Cabal damage seems a little pointless, but it's neat how well it hip fires and aim fires at different rates and damage.
I'd say it's already better than most other Exotics. The DARCI is growing on me a little, too. If nothing else, it seems to auto-aim really well. For a pad player, that matters.

Looking at the master list of Exotics, the only ones I don't have at the Graviton Lance, Rat King (which I apparently can't get now), and Legend of Acrius (which requires Leviathan completion).

As far as other weapons go, the only one I really want that I'm missing is Nameless Midnight. I really wish I never disassembled it before, because now I have tons of level 330 scouts.

Haven't played since a month post Osirus, have I missed much? Haha

I'm looking back through the thread now, but see there's been a number of changes since I left. When I started playing I was a big fan of Origin Story and Uriel's as Titan, but that changed to Better Devils and Sunshot/Manbanana (Manannan SR4) on Hunter before putting down the game (I know scumbagging it up on dual explosive-round builds). Have the changes been big enough that I'd be disappointed running explosive round builds?

Haven't played since a month post Osirus, have I missed much? Haha

I'm looking back through the thread now, but see there's been a number of changes since I left. When I started playing I was a big fan of Origin Story and Uriel's as Titan, but that changed to Better Devils and Sunshot/Manbanana (Manannan SR4) on Hunter before putting down the game (I know scumbagging it up on dual explosive-round builds). Have the changes been big enough that I'd be disappointed running explosive round builds?

In the Crucible I still see people using the Sunshot pretty regularly, but I haven't seen a Manannan in a while. I never messed with that one much. It's anecdotal, but I feel like most players swapped from scout rifles to pulse rifles (aka. mainly just the Vigilance Wing) for the Crucible. I still see occasional MIDAs and stray Nameless Midnights, but little else.
For PvE I think you'll find that nothing much has changed. Pulse rifles still kinda suck for groups and your explosive round weapons are still going to work good to great. I still run Origin Story, Sunshot, and Blue Shift most of the time and I haven't noticed any difference at all. I've never played a raid, but everything else (nightfall included) is the same.

In the Crucible I still see people using the Sunshot pretty regularly, but I haven't seen a Manannan in a while. I never messed with that one much. It's anecdotal, but I feel like most players swapped from scout rifles to pulse rifles (aka. mainly just the Vigilance Wing) for the Crucible. I still see occasional MIDAs and stray Nameless Midnights, but little else.
For PvE I think you'll find that nothing much has changed. Pulse rifles still kinda suck for groups and your explosive round weapons are still going to work good to great. I still run Origin Story, Sunshot, and Blue Shift most of the time and I haven't noticed any difference at all. I've never played a raid, but everything else (nightfall included) is the same.

Was never a big fan of Vigilance Wing, too tailored to pvp for my tastes (not that that's bad). Kinda sad to hear that meta builds are still going full force in crucible, but I guess it's good to hear that balance passes have been enough to shift them (it would be nicer to actually balance perks though, seems like mostly base stat balances so far).

The Leviathan raid was worth taking a look at, but some of the fights were too gimmicky to enjoy running multiple times, considering other content, imo.

I think the big problem with D2 so far has been the themepark MMO style of loot drops (easy to get, artificial lockouts) coupled with the lack of customization/content that's caused people to "loot and scoot".

Back