Destiny 2

Got the Sunshot ornament from Eververse (finally). I also noticed some random tweaks to things. I got some random Lost Sector badges so maybe they'll finally make those do something beyond random fetch quests. I think the tank on the Io strike was added last week. For random patrols I'm noticing more of the ones where you just have to kill like 10 enemies. I always flock to those because they're quick and easy.
I think my plan is to finally give the Crucible a shot this weekend. The last quests I have are the forge ones, and the paradox amplifiers you need just doesn't drop fast enough in strikes. Sometimes I'll get 1, other times 2-5, but I need 30 of those damned things again.

yeah i hammered those out by playing the crucible. i've been spending a lot of time in the crucible. i really dig the PvP in this game.

I gave the Crucible a shot and I didn't do that bad. Middle of the pack, mostly. I even managed to lead my team once in spite of not fully understanding the rules or knowing the maps :p. Just doing quickplay so far.
While the Sunshot is still a pretty solid weapon, scout rifles seem kinda weak. You have to catch someone straight up napping to shoot them in the head multiple times. Hand Cannons seem to kill with 2-3 shots to center mass, but Scout Rifles seem to want more precision. Auto-Rifles are hell on wheels, especially Hard Light.
While the Nightstalker is killer in PvE, that arrow is telegraphed and slooooow in the Crucible. Feels like both of the other Hunter classes are probably better for this mode.

Not sure I actually enjoy the Crucible. I'll probably grind out the paradox amplifiers at some point, but I prefer PvE. Hopefully some day they'll offer Leviathan and/or Raid matchmaking.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm amazed that I don't dislike the Crucible. I'm actually "decent" now if I'm not on a crappy team. If I'm your lead shooter on the team... you're in trouble. ;)

Osiris Quickplay is what I'm about when I don't have Mayhem. I favor Nightstalker but it's definitely better in PVE. Probably go to Gunslinger. A good combo has been Better Devils or some other powerful handgun alternating with ARs like Hard Light or Uriel's Gift. A lot of people including myself tend to go in this direction.

For a while I only had one non-Exotic kinetic handgun, but a new one (Annual Skate) fell in my lap last week. It seems pretty solid. Origin Story has been my go-to kinetic weapon so far, but it's just doing double duty with the Hard Light.

Random question - how do you acquire power weapon ammo in the Crucible? I've been hit by rockets and swords before, but I still have yet to get a purple ammo drop even in the game I led.

Random question - how do you acquire power weapon ammo in the Crucible? I've been hit by rockets and swords before, but I still have yet to get a purple ammo drop even in the game I led.

there are purple ammo boxes on the wall, randomly placed throughout the map. they have a timer to show when they unlock. also if you kill someone that has picked up power ammo, before they have a chance to use it, they'll drop their purple ammo.

Yea I'm just done with this game until another dlc releases, maybe even then too.

I'm a whopping single item (a cape) from hitting light level 335, so I want to see that through :p I'd also like to power up some of my auto rifles as well. I have a bunch of capped out weapons, but most of them aren't my preferred ones. Still, outside of the weekly "powerful gear" quests and forge items there isn't much else to do.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n31808/destiny-2-march-update-details

The big weapon balancing update will be coming on 3/27. Seems like most items are getting buffed (in either PvE or PvP or both) while ability regeneration will be sped up.
Not sure if this will really make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem like an attempt to make some neglected weapon types more viable. Feels like auto rifles, hand cannons, and the occasional scout rifle (in PvE) are what most people are using.
I personally really like shotguns in PvE, but I rarely see anything but rockets or grenades in the crucible. There is an auto-fire shotgun (Hawthorne's) that's hell on wheels in any situation where you're close to a boss or mini boss.

like this
One thing I absolutely cannot stand.... Every time I decide to try and pick this game back up I come to the crucible and there's some new super OP gun everyone is using that I can't compete against. First the Prometheus Lens, now the Darkest Before, and to get em it's a relentless grind, and it'll probably be nerf'd by the time I get it.

Apparently there's also some game mechanics I just simply don't understand after just 60 hours in the game. There's no way this game has a significantly high skill ceiling yet sometimes I'm dominating and others I can't even do damage to people. Sometimes I die in ways I don't understand and most of all I see people with health recovery and resilience that makes zero sense to me.

The new update is supposed to make pulse rifles better across the board, so if the Darkest Before is dominant now it might become ridiculous on the 27th. I still see most people using mostly auto rifles and hand cannons. Those are my favored weapons, so I can't really judge 'em for it.

like this
The new update is supposed to make pulse rifles better across the board, so if the Darkest Before is dominant now it might become ridiculous on the 27th. I still see most people using mostly auto rifles and hand cannons. Those are my favored weapons, so I can't really judge 'em for it.

I want to see The Colony get nerfed.

I want to see The Colony get nerfed.

I actually have a maxed out version of that weapon that I've never even fired. I guess I should give it a try. The joys of having too many gold weapons you like.

like this
One thing I absolutely cannot stand.... Every time I decide to try and pick this game back up I come to the crucible and there's some new super OP gun everyone is using that I can't compete against. First the Prometheus Lens, now the Darkest Before, and to get em it's a relentless grind, and it'll probably be nerf'd by the time I get it.

Apparently there's also some game mechanics I just simply don't understand after just 60 hours in the game. There's no way this game has a significantly high skill ceiling yet sometimes I'm dominating and others I can't even do damage to people. Sometimes I die in ways I don't understand and most of all I see people with health recovery and resilience that makes zero sense to me.

the Prometheus Lens thing was a bug that got fixed, that one's an anomaly. i don't have the Darkest Before but i can tell you with confidence that it's just like every other weapon deemed OP - it's probably not. the difference between 'top tier' weapons and their blue/purple counterparts is minuscule. people are splitting hairs. my current favorite PVP weapon is the Bayesian MSu which is a rare (blue) pulse rifle. it's fantastic when used in the right context.

like this
Looks like I finally hit the point where even rare/blue weapons are able to boost my gear to level 335.
Last night I finally got enough items to complete one of the later forge collection missions...and it actually tossed a plot mission my way. I was psyched until I realized that it didn't actually award me anything AND it was a dupe of an earlier mission. The Osiris DLC really is weak. Only one public event, one hidden sector, and basically 3 clone missions.

Anyone feel like doing Nightfall or even the raid at some point in the next week or two? Those are literally the only things left for me to do.

I only have one forge weapon left, 95% of my weapons are maxed out, and I've become shockingly competent at the Crucible.

EDIT: I just noticed the "guided" way to play through the nightfall mission. I had to wait for 10'ish minutes, but that's no big deal and we managed to clear the Savathun's Song mission in 20'ish minutes. Not sure what the actual difference is between that and the normal version of a mission, but it does seem like you die really really quickly.
I really with they had this guided mode for the raids.

Last edited:
Today is apparently the weapons rebalance patch day. I kept a few underwhelming weapons that should get a boost, so I guess it'll be interesting to see where things go.

Now that I've been spending more time in the Crucible, I've totally revamped my build and am now doing a ton better. I swapped all of my armor mods over to resistance and mostly use the MIDA Multi and Mini Tools. Any of those cramped levels are basically there for the taking with additional resistance and a gun that can fire 3x as fast as an auto rifle. At a distance the Multi keeps up with most revolvers if you stay mobile. Nightstalker abilities might be amazing for PvE, but feel more like team assist abilities in the Crucible. I'm mainly going with the Golden Gun vs. other players.

Anyone feel like doing Nightfall or even the raid at some point in the next week or two? Those are literally the only things left for me to do.

I only have one forge weapon left, 95% of my weapons are maxed out, and I've become shockingly competent at the Crucible.

EDIT: I just noticed the "guided" way to play through the nightfall mission. I had to wait for 10'ish minutes, but that's no big deal and we managed to clear the Savathun's Song mission in 20'ish minutes. Not sure what the actual difference is between that and the normal version of a mission, but it does seem like you die really really quickly.
I really with they had this guided mode for the raids.
I believe guided mode is just matchmaking for PUGS. If you are not in a fireteam and select guided game it will match you to an existing fireteam, who are looking for a teammate(s) for that activity. If you have a fireteam but need a 3rd or more, and you select guided it will add people, not in a fireteam, to your existing one.

Todays update is the "go fast" update as well correct?

Yup. Faster movement, faster abilities, heavy ammo boxes (and ammo drops on kill), and weapons rebalancing.
They didn't comment about how any of this will affect PvE, so I'm curious if some of these changes might have interesting ripple effects.

Yup. Faster movement, faster abilities, heavy ammo boxes (and ammo drops on kill), and weapons rebalancing.
They didn't comment about how any of this will affect PvE, so I'm curious if some of these changes might have interesting ripple effects.
Hey if it means I can finally find a group to run raids with I'm all for it.

Hey if it means I can finally find a group to run raids with I'm all for it.

Me too. The Raids and Trials are literally the only things I haven't been able to do. I'm hoping this brings people back and I can finally give 'em a go.

Reactions: Draax
like this
Me too. The Raids and Trials are literally the only things I haven't been able to do. I'm hoping this brings people back and I can finally give 'em a go.
Add me and lets see if we can get a raid going sometime Draax#1161

Played around a little last night. I did see a few people rocking pulse rifles. Not sure if they're my cup of tea, but they do seem mostly feasible. At least in the Crucible. When playing normal PvE it still feels like their bursts don't hurt as much as a scout rifle or hand cannon.

After the patch and the insta kills, running and gunning, button mashing, I uninstalled Destiny 2.

They literally made it into the same crap every other game has. Boring asf now.

Before, if you got into a situation in PVP where you were exposed, you had a chance to save yourself. Now, you don't. You are basically killed within 1 to 2 seconds. You cannot run across a room and draw fire so your team mates can flank or dozen of other tatics. You basically just die.

Rinse and repeat. Zero fun.

Hardly any content in Destiny 2 to start with. So for me I justified my time in-game with PVP, where I had fun. Wasn't the best but over the past several weeks I was able to move from last position to a solid 2nd.

Pretty disappointing now with the new patch.

bam dead, bam dead, kill someone, bam dead, run away .. oh wait, wtf, insta kill, run across the room, oh wtf, insta kill, bam dead, kill someone, bam, dead. Where is the fun in that.

I didn’t play that long (only 5 matches for the weekly reward) but I felt like people were actually surviving longer than usual. It might just be better players coming back to the game, but I saw plenty of streaks and people surviving certain death only to get revenge or draw people into a trap. Resistance/recovery builds are probably key, too.

The exceptions are still power weapons, though. With more faster/ammo for those, rockets, swords, and the Colony still cause pure havoc and lots of death. With the more packed-in levels that’s even more evident. I didn’t notice special ability spam all that much, but I think some of that is based around the resistance/recovery build thing, too. Lots of durable builds playing thus far.

Not sure if it's an accident, but I think the quickplay matches are longer than they used to be. At least unless there's a run-away.

I know that most of their changes in this patch were to under the hood statistics, but I kinda think they should probably double the clip size for all pulse rifles. Either that or make them re-load with a kill or precision kill. It’s fine that they’re now okay for PvP, but they still pretty much suck vs. enemies. No other weapon type has such limited use.

I only played crucible enough to get the milestone on 1 of 3 characters last night, but I found assault rifles to be next to useless now. Ariels gift and Origin Story were my go-to's and they are useless now. I did find that pulse rifles were much improved. Time to switch out my rocket launcher in PVP as you only get 1 rocket when picking up heavy ammo now. Arc Staff super was deadly last night. In one use of it, I was able to mow down the entire other team twice.

Last edited:
I think both assault rifles and SMG's got damage nerfs or something. At least vs. shields. The usual process of rolling up on someone and emptying a clip simply doesn't kill as quickly. I lost exchanges using Origin Story, Positive Outlook, and the Mida Mini-Tool multiple times. Each got dusted by hand cannons and even scout rifles more than once. That only used to happen if both players reacted at the same time. Now they seem to have time to actually get hit first and still get off a shot or even two. That's while taking fire the whole time. I don't necessarily mind that, but it'll take some adjustment.
For heavy weapons, I've become fan of swords. They're almost like a poor-man's arc staff and still give me room to use the 6-shot golden gun.

It'll be interesting to see what the meta is like in a month. At least assuming people don't bail again. I'm sure the 2nd DLC will help if they don't delay it.

After the patch and the insta kills, running and gunning, button mashing, I uninstalled Destiny 2.

They literally made it into the same crap every other game has. Boring asf now.

Before, if you got into a situation in PVP where you were exposed, you had a chance to save yourself. Now, you don't. You are basically killed within 1 to 2 seconds. You cannot run across a room and draw fire so your team mates can flank or dozen of other tatics. You basically just die.

Rinse and repeat. Zero fun.

Hardly any content in Destiny 2 to start with. So for me I justified my time in-game with PVP, where I had fun. Wasn't the best but over the past several weeks I was able to move from last position to a solid 2nd.

Pretty disappointing now with the new patch.

bam dead, bam dead, kill someone, bam dead, run away .. oh wait, wtf, insta kill, run across the room, oh wtf, insta kill, bam dead, kill someone, bam, dead. Where is the fun in that.

i think some of that may be placebo effect. that or you just had some rounds where you were unluckily matched with exceptionally good players. the numbers have been crunched and the TTK changes were not that significant, at least not enough to result in the drastic swing you saw. i played quite a bit last night and walked away feeling the changes are hardly noticeable.

Last edited:
I'd never played "Rumble" mode before last night and I actually prefer that to the team stuff. Since I'm playing solo to begin with, it's nice knowing I'm not being matched against 4 players working together.
It's also nice not getting jacked by a crew of 4 Better Devils campers that never separate. I played 2 matches and won 'em both using the same basic approach I was using pre-patch. Those damage buffs on the precision weapons don't matter as much when nobody is watching your back and sides.

Joined a PUG for Trials of the Nine tonight. Holy hell we got destroyed. I’m pretty good in crucible quickplay and competitive. It’s a different world in Trials.

Seeing I still can't get the game running on my main PC I decided to built a cheap backup PC with some spare parts and I finally managed to get all 3 classes trough the main story line and to max lvl, now to figure out how to get geared a bit more.

Game still looks half decent on mostly low settings at 1080p

Joined a PUG for Trials of the Nine tonight. Holy hell we got destroyed. I’m pretty good in crucible quickplay and competitive. It’s a different world in Trials.
Even with the low player count, Trials and IB turn out to be populated with some of the most ridiculous sweaty-try-hard's out there.

I just started playing & hit lvl 10 last night (couldn't pass up the $60 sale after I initially was going to buy it at $99 when it came out but bailed on the launch issues). Pretty enjoyable from the move of playing D1 on PS4. The sci-fi environments look great on ultrawide 1440p.

I find that I've just been incredibly inconsistent since the weapon update patch. I'll go from world beater to dead last in consecutive games. One minute Mida Mini/Multi feels overpowered and the next game I can't get a kill to save my life. I'm pretty sure elite hand-cannons are likely the best overall gun class now, but after that my opinion shifts from match to match.
I saw some notes about additional Exotics getting buffs and status changes, so this might just be the first of many weapon tweak patches.

I have really been enjoying vigilance wing, the exotic 5 shot pulse rifle. With the buff to pulse rifles the 5 shot pulse can take down an enemy real quick. I have really been wanting to try something like the graviton Lance (with its cosmology perk) or a legendary pulse with firefly as the detonate on a kill has been buffed.

I have the Vigilance Wing. I'll have to give it a shot. I've gone back to using a combo of Positive Outlook, Better Devils, and Quickfang. After racking up boatloads of kills for a couple weeks I just don't think SMG's cut the mustard anymore. The Mida Multi-Tool is still really good, but the Mini loses to too much even if you shoot first.

I have really been enjoying vigilance wing, the exotic 5 shot pulse rifle. With the buff to pulse rifles the 5 shot pulse can take down an enemy real quick. I have really been wanting to try something like the graviton Lance (with its cosmology perk) or a legendary pulse with firefly as the detonate on a kill has been buffed.

you and everybody else :D. it's being used a lot after the buff. i use mostly off-meta weapons, just personal preference. the graviton lance is still really underwhelming which is a bummer because it looks cool and sounds great.

like this
There are rumors swirling around that the 2nd DLC will be released on May 8th. If true (or even close), I'll be happy. If they wait much longer I can see a lot of people bailing for good. I just hope there's more to it than Osiris. Just give us another normal-sized planet. No grind needed.

like this
Mercury is way too small. The infinite forest should have been part of the explorable planet, ( procedural generation would have been a really great idea and fitting for the concept of the area and it’s infinite pathways ) or better utilized (other scenarios/settings) If Mars ends up being EDZ size I would be happy.

I’m surprised they didn’t use the rocky frozen mountainous environment, at the start of the single player game, anywhere else in the game. Although I did read the new DLC will have players exploring the “frigid vale” so maybe we will get to see it more.

Does the new DLC contain a new raid wing? The stuff I have seen doesn’t explicitly say so.

So here is an annoyance, I ran out of tickets for the nightfall strikes so I can’t join as a seeker. I dont understand why nightfall is not treated as a heroic strike for matchmaking ... there really is little difference.

Last edited:
The Infinite Forest is one of the most disappointing things in the whole game. It's basically the one area that literally everyone sprints through in strikes. There's simply no point to it and it's not fun. It could have been fun if the randomization was a daily thing that applied to everyone (so it could be part of the main map) or something like that. Either that or at least better incorporate it into missions and strikes so that it's actually fun to play.

My hope for the new area is something akin to Nessus or especially the EDZ. The EDZ might be the only truly fleshed out map in the game, so it's definitely the gold standard. Nessus is a good level too, though.

Content-wise, I'd like to see a lot more gear that doesn't revolve around grinding random items like the forge weapons. I'd rather see gear tied to quests a la the Mida, Sturm/Drang, and a whole bunch of Destiny 1 weapons. Hopefully the new weapons and armor will have some fun effects and traits that make them worthwhile. Right now it feels like the best weapons are all pretty obviously good. Very few are oddballs or do anything particularly unique. They might have things like a kill clip, stacked damage, heavy damage, auto-aim, etc. but almost none do anything unique or different.

Back