Destiny 2

My 2000+ hour Destiny junkie friend told me he did Nightfall all by himself. LOL.

He said this is how he did it. (He has a character for each class)

His ratings are 334, 334, and 331 and his strategy in the Pyramidion run of this was:

I did it as a Nightstalker Hunter spamming smoke bombs for invisibility and vortex grenades.

I'm 315. I'll try this for laughs...emphasis laughs.

Solo Nightfalls used to be good fun, though D1 was more geared towards cautious play in this regard as the reward for failure was being returned to orbit and having to start over. Which was punishing, but really made for some tense combat and strategic engagements, it's all run and gun and blow stuff up now with no punishment for being dead half the strike and barely contributing :/ But I mean, I'm also one of those 2000+ hr junkies.

I'd love to try a nightfall, but I've never done one so I'm not going to attempt it solo. GD bungie would it kill you to put matchmaking in for this?

I finally got a couple levels last night. I think I just never noticed the difference between "Powerful Gear" and "Legendary Gear" since they're both using the purple engram.
I do think there was some kind of level cap, though. I played around using purple boosters to add +5 to some spare armor sets I had. I did that with 4 pieces or armor and it didn't affect my overall light score at all.
Yet the instant I completed 2 of those "Powerful Gear" quests, swapping to that exact same gear made my level go up a point. What a weird system.

Are there any legendary armor mods that add recovery/resilience/etc. and do those stats really matter all that much? On the surface it sounds like I'd rather have another point of recovery rather than 5 more points of armor...but is that actually the case?

Are there any legendary armor mods that add recovery/resilience/etc. and do those stats really matter all that much? On the surface it sounds like I'd rather have another point of recovery rather than 5 more points of armor...but is that actually the case?

Yes there are. It’s all a trade-off. If you’re equipping recovery/resilience mods then you’re foregoing the ‘increased grenade/abilities recharge rate’ mods which can be very useful. I prefer using recovery/resilience mods though. My goal is:
Mobility: 1
Resilience: 8
Recovery: 8

I’m really close to those stats on both my warlock and titan. It’s not possible on hunter class though (to my knowledge), think I’m 5/4/5 right now.

I finally got a couple levels last night. I think I just never noticed the difference between "Powerful Gear" and "Legendary Gear" since they're both using the purple engram.
I do think there was some kind of level cap, though. I played around using purple boosters to add +5 to some spare armor sets I had. I did that with 4 pieces or armor and it didn't affect my overall light score at all.
Yet the instant I completed 2 of those "Powerful Gear" quests, swapping to that exact same gear made my level go up a point. What a weird system.

There are purple versions of the blue mods that are exactly the same but give you plus 5 armor. You can trade 3 of the blue for a purple with the gunsmith.

Your overall gear level is an average of all your gear rounded down. If you hover over it it will show you a bar that shows how close you are to the next level.

I'd love to try a nightfall, but I've never done one so I'm not going to attempt it solo. GD bungie would it kill you to put matchmaking in for this?

Tried a couple of times solo, ran out of time.

Tried a couple of times solo, ran out of time.
Solo's pretty tough, although some people manage it. Wifey and I have tried and it hasn't worked out well - you really have to know what fights to skip and corners to cut. We've got the stupid Rat King quest which at this point, I dunno.

No matchmaking = "friendgame" that Bungie was talking about (which, even if you got a good match in a regular strike, it's not easy/intuitive to roll that fireteam into a NF).

Everyone knows now that the endgame was instead the "spendgame," thanks to Eververse.

The guild I join does not seem active any more. Does anyone have a guild that has room for 2. Don't want to be hard core but would love to try out the raid.

One of the dawning rewards required that I get 10 engrams to complete. After like a week, I finally completed it only to get a single shader and a sparrow that wasn't as good as what I already had.
The last 4 days the rewards haven't required any tasks, but they haven't been any good either. Just shaders and ships/sparrows. Tough to complain about free items, but after netting that really good sword on the first day I think I had higher hopes. I do like several of the holiday themed shaders at least.

One of the dawning rewards required that I get 10 engrams to complete. After like a week, I finally completed it only to get a single shader and a sparrow that wasn't as good as what I already had.
The last 4 days the rewards haven't required any tasks, but they haven't been any good either. Just shaders and ships/sparrows. Tough to complain about free items, but after netting that really good sword on the first day I think I had higher hopes. I do like several of the holiday themed shaders at least.
All of the "good" stuff was locked in Dawning engrams from Tess. The "gifts" from Ikora's area draw from a different loot pool.

Which is why some shaders appear twice in your inventory, they won't stack even if they are technically the same, because since they come from different sources, they can be dismantled into different things. Nothing from Ikora's "gift" engrams dismantle into Bright Dust.

i.e. the Giving emote is only available from Eververse.

All of the "good" stuff was locked in Dawning engrams from Tess. The "gifts" from Ikora's area draw from a different loot pool.

Which is why some shaders appear twice in your inventory, they won't stack even if they are technically the same, because since they come from different sources, they can be dismantled into different things. Nothing from Ikora's "gift" engrams dismantle into Bright Dust.

i.e. the Giving emote is only available from Eververse.

ah, i was wondering why i have the same shader occupying two different slots in my inventory

Other than the Zephyr sword, are there are any more dawning weapons? What about armors or at least modifiers? I don't really care about emotes, shaders, ships, ghosts, etc.
I'm happy with the way things look, I'd like some practical items.

Other than the Zephyr sword, are there are any more dawning weapons? What about armors or at least modifiers? I don't really care about emotes, shaders, ships, ghosts, etc.
I'm happy with the way things look, I'd like some practical items.

There is dawning armor. The dawning exotic ghost is pretty nice, but chances to get it are slim.

I've kept up with Dawning but I'm not going to miss it when it's done. I doubt I'll be able to finish it all in time. I can't say I got much in terms of "practical items" from it.

My immediate goal is to get my Uriel's Gift turned into a Masterworks. I was able to get my Better Devils hand cannon turned into a Masterworks yesterday and that's downright incredible.

I have an auto-rifle that I made into a masterwork that I've been really happy with. It reloads almost instantly. Now if I could only get another item to boost its stats. Most of my weapons are 315'ish but (of course) I haven't seen another auto rifle so it's only 310.

I've kept up with Dawning but I'm not going to miss it when it's done. I doubt I'll be able to finish it all in time. I can't say I got much in terms of "practical items" from it.

My immediate goal is to get my Uriel's Gift turned into a Masterworks. I was able to get my Better Devils hand cannon turned into a Masterworks yesterday and that's downright incredible.

Masterwork Positive Outlook instead. It has better stats and kill clip which gives you a 30% damage boost. You can choose it as a reward for one of the early COO quests or from Zavala as a strike reward.

I haven't been playing a lot the past few weeks. When I have enough masterwork cores to upgrade my first weapon, I'm having a hard time deciding between Better Devils or Origin Story.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Wow this game runs so much better on Ryzen than on my old 4770k rig. Even at stock clocks I'm hitting 105-110fps steady in the tower while the Haswell chip only managed around a choppy 70 at 4.5ghz.

I'm starting to warm to the Crucible much to my own surprise. Mayhem in particular. I'm actually almost an asset sometimes but even if my team gets blown out and I stink the joint up the rewards are generous and add up quickly.

I think it's pretty generous, really.

I owe it for getting both the Uriel's Gift Auto rifle and my beloved Better Devils which I have turned into a Vanguard Masterworks. Also the Graviton Helmet. That's incredible.

I'm fed up with the repetition in Strike, even if it's Heroic. Yesterday I went through that damned Pyramidion variant three effin' times in a row. Ridiculous.

They really ought to at least make it where we can select which strike venue we want to do and then let the matchmaker kick in.

So if you want a change and want to rack up some progress and find yourself having a better time than you might have thought: Hit Mayhem Crucible. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's fun, even if you stink. :)

Last edited:
I'm starting to warm to the Crucible much to my own surprise. Mayhem in particular. I'm actually almost an asset sometimes but even if my team gets blown out and I stink the joint up the rewards are generous and add up quickly.

I think it's pretty generous, really.

I owe it for getting both the Uriel's Gift Auto rifle and my beloved Better Devils which I have turned into a Vanguard Masterworks. Also the Graviton Helmet. That's incredible.

I'm fed up with the repetition in Strike, even if it's Heroic. Yesterday I went through that damned Pyramidion variant three effin' times in a row. Ridiculous.

They really ought to at least make it where we can select which strike venue we want to do and then let the matchmaker kick in.

So if you want a change and want to rack up some progress and find yourself having a better time than you might have thought: Hit Mayhem Crucible. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's fun, even if you stink. :)

I really like Mayhem mode, I wish they would fix the supers exploits and then leave it in the game. Its pretty fun with all the crazy stuff going on.

like this
I’m in the minority’s and don’t really like mayhem. I like standard crucible matches where you only have one super available per round. I like the strategic aspect of knowing when the best time is to use your super to advance your team. That said, they should leave mayhem in the game so everyone has more options.

I still haven't even touched the Crucible, but with the rewards getting pretty thin at this level, I'm tempted.
Are pads still using crazy auto-aim in vs. mode? I'm rocking a controller full-time in this game and don't want to be thought of as a cheater or something.

I still haven't even touched the Crucible, but with the rewards getting pretty thin at this level, I'm tempted.
Are pads still using crazy auto-aim in vs. mode? I'm rocking a controller full-time in this game and don't want to be thought of as a cheater or something.

I'm pretty sure there are enough actual aimbots being used that you won't even notice.

Domingo said:
Are pads still using crazy auto-aim in vs. mode? I'm rocking a controller full-time in this game and don't want to be thought of as a cheater or something

Don't worry about it. Play however you want. You'll never outplay the junkies anyways. ;)

Hit Mayhem. You're going to be pleasantly surprised some time in there will do for you besides the same damned repetitive strikes and such over and over again.

I've barely done the strikes, too. I honestly haven't found them to be all that fun. I honestly miss the story missions from the first game that required multiple players. Those felt a lot fresher (and less recycled) than the strikes. They still auto-paired you with people and you could hop-in at different points of the level, but they were lots of fun and they actually felt like part of the core game. The strikes in 2 have been snooze fests. I've done 4-5 of them and couldn't wait for them to end.

https://vortexeffect.net/2018/01/08...of-the-dawning-challenges-kinetic-damage-mod/

Today is the final day of The Dawning, so if you’ve been enjoying Mayhem PvP go get in as much as you can today and tonight because it goes away at the weekly reset tomorrow unfortunately. Xur is still around as well if you’ve yet to pick up your Fated Engram or don’t have Merciless for some reason.

This is correct. Make a point of hitting Mayhem today, folks. As much as you're willing.

I was wondering when this whole thing would end. I won't have any time to play tonight (the CFP game & all) so I guess that's not happening.
Those snowballs actually made a lot of the public events much easier. Pretty much any of the heroic event bosses and wandering high-level foes are heavily affected by them.

like this
I was wondering when this whole thing would end. I won't have any time to play tonight (the CFP game & all) so I guess that's not happening.
Those snowballs actually made a lot of the public events much easier. Pretty much any of the heroic event bosses and wandering high-level foes are heavily affected by them.

Snowballs have been HUGE for me. ;)

Bungie outlines how it plans to fix Destiny 2 in 2018

Destiny 2 left 2017 on quite the cliffhanger. Players were abandoning the game in droves, and those sticking around were overflowing with salt about the anaemic endgame and obnoxious use of microtransactions at the expense of actual content. Would Bungie be able to satisfactorily address the complaints and start turning things around? Or is it doomed to become one of those sequels that somehow managed to break what was good about the first game?

Today we finally got some detail regarding how the studio hopes to solve various issues...

http://www.pcgamer.com/bungie-outlines-how-it-plans-to-fix-destiny-2-in-2018/

Bungie outlines how it plans to fix Destiny 2 in 2018

Destiny 2 left 2017 on quite the cliffhanger. Players were abandoning the game in droves, and those sticking around were overflowing with salt about the anaemic endgame and obnoxious use of microtransactions at the expense of actual content. Would Bungie be able to satisfactorily address the complaints and start turning things around? Or is it doomed to become one of those sequels that somehow managed to break what was good about the first game?

Today we finally got some detail regarding how the studio hopes to solve various issues...

http://www.pcgamer.com/bungie-outlines-how-it-plans-to-fix-destiny-2-in-2018/

Some really good things in there, particularly these two interest me:

The Nightfall time limit will be replaced by Strike scoring

More Vault space (Spring)

like this
I’ve hit another wall. This one seems to be the result of bad RNG rolls or something. I’m stuck at level 319 and can’t get anything better for the life of me. I keep getting drops of the same items. Nothing but sidearms and sleeves. I've gotten the same legendary sleeves to drop 5 different times and I've gotten countless sidearm drops that no longer do anything. The problem is, both of those items are like level 325 and I’m cruising around with a cape and leggings that are like 314. Ditto with my primary kinetic weapons. I’ve completed a half dozen “powerful gear” quests, but am having basically no luck. No normal drops will upgrade anything either. Every item I own has a legendary bonus.

Is there some sort of technique to getting certain types of items to drop or is this just going to be an endless crapshoot until the next DLC?

I’ve hit another wall. This one seems to be the result of bad RNG rolls or something. I’m stuck at level 319 and can’t get anything better for the life of me. I keep getting drops of the same items. Nothing but sidearms and sleeves. I've gotten the same legendary sleeves to drop 5 different times and I've gotten countless sidearm drops that no longer do anything. The problem is, both of those items are like level 325 and I’m cruising around with a cape and leggings that are like 314. Ditto with my primary kinetic weapons. I’ve completed a half dozen “powerful gear” quests, but am having basically no luck. No normal drops will upgrade anything either. Every item I own has a legendary bonus.

Is there some sort of technique to getting certain types of items to drop or is this just going to be an endless crapshoot until the next DLC?
I remember hitting a wall around 314. The legendary and exotic items I could get from public events, strikes, etc all kept dropping around that power level. The way I overcame that wall was to run the raids and to do the weekly stuff for "powerful gear". Xiur, who appears from Friday - Sunday always has higher level exotics (typically a weapon and a piece of armour) for sale and you can purchase exotic engrams from him as well. Once my power level got high enough loot stopped dropping at 314. Now that I'm at 333 I'm at another wall with all loot, except for raids, always dropping at power level 324. Xiur also sells the three of coins, which increases exotic drops, and fireteam medallions will increase you are your fireteams drops as well.
I know the way it is supposed to work is that gear level drops based on your power level however I have clearly hit 2 walls.

Back