Destiny 2

I crash almost every time returning to orbit or going somewhere from the director, pretty much unplayable at this point.

I think Destiny 2 has been fantastic. Not because the game doesn't blow, it does, but because The Division responded with the 1.8 update which has been excellent.

Thanks Bungie!

Performace is simply amazing.
I play at 6880x2880 ultrawide (DSR x4 of 3440x1440) with everthing at max settings plus 60fps cap enabled. The game is pretty much constantly locked at 60fps even during heavy fire fights in public events. Fantastic game.

Performace is simply amazing.
I play at 6880x2880 ultrawide (DSR x4 of 3440x1440) with everthing at max settings plus 60fps cap enabled. The game is pretty much constantly locked at 60fps even during heavy fire fights in public events. Fantastic game.

SLI must mean a whole lot for this game. A single 1080 + OC'd 8700 can't even pull constant 60fps at 70% of 4K.

SLI must mean a whole lot for this game. A single 1080 + OC'd 8700 can't even pull constant 60fps at 70% of 4K.

yeah i think the scaling is pretty decent in this game. i'm getting great performance at 4k with my 1070's. game looks good too.

That seems slower than it should be. I run a single 1080 ti @2560x1440 and get 100-142 fps. With a 4770k OC'd to 4.5ghz. I have the framerate capped, it was going over that quite often.

That seems slower than it should be. I run a single 1080 ti @2560x1440 and get 100-142 fps. With a 4770k OC'd to 4.5ghz. I have the framerate capped, it was going over that quite often.

The majority of the time it is over 100fps. At least it would be if I wasn't a stickler for vsync. The catch is that when it isn't...it really isn't. Zooming via your scope in certain sections drops it into the low 50's and sometimes even the 40's. That' doesn't fly with me. I don't really care about averages so much as I don't ever want to drop below 60fps for any reason other than capped cutscenes. I might average 80-90 fps, but I consider 47 to be unacceptable and will lower the render res % until I don't ever see anything but 60.

The majority of the time it is over 100fps. At least it would be if I wasn't a stickler for vsync. The catch is that when it isn't...it really isn't. Zooming via your scope in certain sections drops it into the low 50's and sometimes even the 40's. That' doesn't fly with me. I don't really care about averages so much as I don't ever want to drop below 60fps for any reason other than capped cutscenes. I might average 80-90 fps, but I consider 47 to be unacceptable and will lower the render res % until I don't ever see anything but 60.
That makes sense. I probably drop below 100 briefly without noticing because of the gsync.

I definitely look forward to HDMI 2.1 so I can (finally) have the benefits of gsync/freesync via a television. 'Til that happens I'm capped at 60fps, I refuse to play without vsync, and I can only play in 4K or 1080p. Luckily rendering resolution sliders offer us TV folks the chance to play at something close to 1440p without actually displaying that exact resolution.

Yeah, this game shows a great SLI scaling.
Visually good artistic direction, perfect ultrawide support. I just wish it supports better AA other than fast food AA like FXAA and SMAA. This game has so much shader/temporal aliasing that even at 5K ultrawide resolution (6880x2880), aliasing still bothers me.

I found the game to be looking actually quite bland, realy shows it was built for consoles not PC's, now if I could get it running for longer then 5 minutes again I would be happy.

So bizarre. I'll be damned if I can track any common denominator on the people having issues vs not. I thought I was kind of cool with my "temporarily disable SLI or Crossfire" or "check and temporarily reduce disable OC settings" ideas but apparently not.

You know, I once deleted a file from the destiny 2 directory where someone had issues with, deleted the Cvars file and did a scan and repair after which I managed to complete a story mission. When I returned to the game a couple hours later I again crashed within minutes. Frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
You know, I once deleted a file from the destiny 2 directory where someone had issues with, deleted the Cvars file and did a scan and repair after which I managed to complete a story mission. When I returned to the game a couple hours later I again crashed within minutes. Frustrating to say the least.

I had a similar issue when I was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. It was the only game that would crash my system and would work fine for days and then some days it would crash after 5 minutes of playing every time I tried. It ended up that my power supply was bad and it was just the first game that really pushed it hard enough to cause problems.

I wonder if Destiny 2 is just pushing people's systems hard in ways other games haven't and causing crashes due to unstable hardware. StarCraft 2 did when it first came out. Tons of people had crashes and overheating caused by their unstable CPUs being pushed more than they ever had before.

It could just be software issues too though. It doesn't like anything hooking into the video like OBS and other recording software and I wouldn't be surprised people's anti-virus cause problems.

I doubt this game pushes my PC that hard or that much harder then the other games I play, The only thing I had overclocked was my mesh and even if I turn that to default it still crashes.

I'm using the default MS antivirus, my tems are fine while gaming, i don't stream or record at all, don't have any voice chat or overlays running.

I did see a couple posts on their forums from bungie that they are aware of some crashing issue and seem to be working on it. Crosses fingers

like this
I doubt this game pushes my PC that hard or that much harder then the other games I play, The only thing I had overclocked was my mesh and even if I turn that to default it still crashes.

I'm using the default MS antivirus, my tems are fine while gaming, i don't stream or record at all, don't have any voice chat or overlays running.

All of this should be no issue whatsoever. This game isn't going to tax most people's systems and especially since it scales up and down like a dream with all the various menu settings. Even at max this isn't Frostbite Engine on steroids stuff here.

I did see a couple posts on their forums from bungie that they are aware of some crashing issue and seem to be working on it. Crosses fingers

I did a search and saw a lot of Bungie threads and other places about crashes so you all are definitely not alone and I suspect not a very small group, either.

SSAO isn't the culprit either. Random reset in the middle of a mission with no weirdness going on and HDOA on instead of 3D SSAO.
I guess I'll try disabling MS's anti-virus and see if that does anything. I can't imagine that being the cause (mainly because my resets range from minutes apart to 5-7 hours apart) but I guess you never know. I'm thinking the game is just borked in some odd way.

like this
I tried to play a little last night and ended up with 2 crashes in rapid succession. This is getting worse. Blargh. Both triggered seemingly by grenades...which are too good not to use.
I'm going to try a different PSU just to say I've tried it. My wife has an older 1000W Corsair (mine's a 750) so at least I can hopefully eliminate that as a possibility.
At this point I barely even want to play just because it's painful to get 15 minutes into something and then BAM, everything goes black and my PC boot screen pops up.

At this point I barely even want to play just because it's painful to get 15 minutes into something and then BAM, everything goes black and my PC boot screen pops up.

yeah that would definitely make me turn to other games. it's a shame too, i'm really having fun with this game. hope you get it sorted out. i haven't followed all your issues you've talked about in this thread, but have you thought about loosening up your RAM timings? complete shot in the dark but with my last build the factory memory timings were a little too ambitious and i had to pull it back from factory settings to get things stable.

i've had good luck with this game and not a single crash including the open beta. our builds aren't 'crazy' different. 6700K, SLI 1070's, G. Skill Trident Z memory, Corsair 850W power supply

I tried to play a little last night and ended up with 2 crashes in rapid succession. This is getting worse. Blargh. Both triggered seemingly by grenades...which are too good not to use.
I'm going to try a different PSU just to say I've tried it. My wife has an older 1000W Corsair (mine's a 750) so at least I can hopefully eliminate that as a possibility.

Such a shame. The only things i can think of are power supply replace and an OS wipe. This game has been flawless for me and that's on an older Corsair HX750 and copy of Windows 10 that's been upgraded from 8.1.

Such a shame. The only things i can think of are power supply replace and an OS wipe. This game has been flawless for me and that's on an older Corsair HX750 and copy of Windows 10 that's been upgraded from 8.1.

That's exactly what I currently have (same OS update, too). If the PSU doesn't do it, I'm not sure what will. I replaced my mobo/CPU/RAM last month (unrelated to Destiny) so I can't imagine they're the culprit. The only common elements are my hard drive, PSU, and GPU.

Honestly, I'm still convinced it's a software thing. Nothing else does this. I can run AIDA stability test on my CPU/RAM/GPU all day and nothing happens. I can play other games that push all of these elements far harder with no issues, too. I've put thousands of hours into other games with nary a problem. I haven't had another game crash in years. There has to be something weird about Destiny. Maybe it's HDR, maybe it's a driver thing, maybe it's my controller, maybe it's 7.1 audio, maybe it's some crazy combination of my class abilities crossed with some of those things. I dunno. All I can tell is that there are clearly others with the same issues or possible worse.

Just figured I'd chime in regarding lock-ups etc.

For the first time yesterday, Destiny 2 CTD.

My system is ROCK-SOLID-STABLE. I never have issues, ever.

Anyways, the error told me to scan and repair. Which I did even though it didn't find anything.

I did some googling and came across this:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/237515103

My crash report identified the exact same file: w64_environments_0198_0.pkg

What are the odds of another person CTD over the exact same package when there are literally hundreds of .pkg files?

That's when I knew for certain that the problem was not on my end.

Interesting. I might just purge that folder and make the Blizzard launcher re-download the whole damn game.

Just figured I'd chime in regarding lock-ups etc.

For the first time yesterday, Destiny 2 CTD.

My system is ROCK-SOLID-STABLE. I never have issues, ever.

Anyways, the error told me to scan and repair. Which I did even though it didn't find anything.

I did some googling and came across this:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/237515103

My crash report identified the exact same file: w64_environments_0198_0.pkg

What are the odds of another person CTD over the exact same package when there are literally hundreds of .pkg files?

That's when I knew for certain that the problem was not on my end.

That's the file I deleted after which I managed to play a mission, after signing out and playing again later it did crash again however so only seems to be a temp fix at best.

DIdn't bother with the DLC, installed Warframe instead and having more fun playing for free than I had playing $60 Destiny 2.

Well, got the same CTD error.

Only this time it was "w64_edz_activities_022f_0.pkg"....

Did the ole delete/repair trick again. (Maybe if I'm patient enough, I can find them all??)

Who knows? I've already done the run-admin deal, deleted cvars.xml, and now I'm slowly replacing corrupt files....????

This is pretty ridiculous.

edit: AND AGAIN 10 minutes later....

"w64_activities_023a_0.pkg"

WTF is going on!!??

Last edited:
Never had any stability issues with Destiny 2 (on three PCs in my house) so far. The game plays great and looks great.

Never had any stability issues with Destiny 2 (on three PCs in my house) so far. The game plays great and looks great.

That's actually one reason I think it's a software thing. Some oddball combination of settings and/or drivers. It's bulletproof for most people. It's one of those games that either works great or it doesn't.

like this
My last shot in the dark: ( I definitely think this is software)

Are all the people having that issue all on Win 10 or even 8 as opposed to 7 like I am?

Are they any 7 users having these issues here or that any of you have observed?

Fyi, several times Bungie employees have posted on their official forum saying they are well aware of the issue and its definitely a priority.

Also, I changed some settings around and restored default settings in Nvidia CP.... D2 didn't lock up once late last night.

I'll continue playing and if it locks up; all I have left to try is to turn off my GPU OC.

After that, I'm completely out of ideas....

like this
I play this on my desktop and laptop and get crashes on both all the time. Zero issues elsewhere.

That's so odd. I play on the rig in my sig, on Win7, with no issues.

I know. I'm so friggin' perplexed watching this. I want to see this thing solved for all these people and I'd love to finally know why this has happened to some but not others.

Back