Dell Visor

Bankie

2[H]4U
Looks like Dell has their VR headset up for pre-order (Ship date 10/17).

Panel
2.89" LCD (RGB subpixel)
Resolution
1440 x 1440 per eye, 706ppi
Refresh Rate
90Hz
Lens Type
Fresnel
Field of view
110 degrees

Lens Adjustment

Software IPD
Tracking Architecture
6DoF, "Inside-out" tracking
Tracking Sensors
Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Magnetomer
Headset Tracking Hardware
Dual B+W VGA Camera for mapping
Connectivity
Bluetooth

$427.49 with controllers

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/accessories/apd/536-bbbw?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6099&sku=536-BBBW

Resolution is a little better that Vive/Rift, but nothing great.
Nothing special. Will games have to be touched up to use the system?

Good news, hope HardOCP gets a pair to test out. Higher resolution should help and not be too detrimental t the performance. Hopefully it is seamless SteamVR usage as well as for the controllers.

I'm betting iq will be a little worse than Oculus/Vive due to LCD instead of OLED panels, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. These seem like a sideways jump in tech and price instead of any kind of leap forward in any way, but more options are always good.

This is one of the 5 HMDs announced as part of the Windows Mixed Reality platform. All 5 are nearly identically spec'd, use the same lighthouse-free camera tracking system, and offer bundles that include identical re-branded Microsoft motion controllers. It's been confirmed SteamVR will be supported, but not a launch.

If it works well for gaming, I might get on board, but I'll be holding out for the ASUS variant releasing in Q1; I've heard it may be using AMOLED panels. A Samsung variant has also recently leaked; it would be the only one to include built-in headphones.

Did anyone's Visor ship? My pre-order was delayed and another one that I know of was.

From everything I've read the Samsung is the one to get in this group of Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

From everything I've read the Samsung is the one to get in this group of Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
The one to get is the one that works. That means waiting until they are out for a while.

Yep mine was delayed too. Got some notice about the FTC requiring some paperwork to be signed and it not SHIPPING until the 24th.

I just let mine auto cancel. Not playing this game.

The Samsung one looks good, have to see how it plays with Steam, reviews (hopefully here) but could be a good Christmas gift for this year. Wonder how well the inside out motion detection works and if as good as the Vive Lightboxes. Also how expandable will attachements be with this type of motion detection?

Having owned a DK2 and a Vive, comfort is the biggest thing you should be concerned about. The Samsung and the Dell both have 110* FOV. The Samsung beats out the Dell by having built in headphones. No one has commented on how comfortable the Samsung is over long periods but a lot has been said about the Dell being the most comfortable of the originally launched headsets. The Vive was downright painful to wear for long periods of time, pushing hard on your cheek bones, the straps were horrible to try and adjust, and the lighthouses were a pain when they would decide every now and then not to pair. I'm really excited about the Mixed reality headsets, they seem like the logical step forward for VR. For those wanting to see how well the tracking works, there is a new video up of someone using the Asus headset with Climbey on the SteamVR beta.

Having owned a DK2 and a Vive, comfort is the biggest thing you should be concerned about. The Samsung and the Dell both have 110* FOV. The Samsung beats out the Dell by having built in headphones. No one has commented on how comfortable the Samsung is over long periods but a lot has been said about the Dell being the most comfortable of the originally launched headsets. The Vive was downright painful to wear for long periods of time, pushing hard on your cheek bones, the straps were horrible to try and adjust, and the lighthouses were a pain when they would decide every now and then not to pair. I'm really excited about the Mixed reality headsets, they seem like the logical step forward for VR. For those wanting to see how well the tracking works, there is a new video up of someone using the Asus headset with Climbey on the SteamVR beta.

Doesn't look great....I could see some visible glitching at times. Not sure I'd want to trade mm accurate tracking for that. However, I could see this paired with a gaming laptop being great as you could play it pretty much anywhere. It's a much different prospect packing up an oculus/vive (especially with hard mounted cameras/lighthouses) and setting it up at a friend's house vs. one of these.

Doesn't look great....I could see some visible glitching at times. Not sure I'd want to trade mm accurate tracking for that. However, I could see this paired with a gaming laptop being great as you could play it pretty much anywhere. It's a much different prospect packing up an oculus/vive (especially with hard mounted cameras/lighthouses) and setting it up at a friend's house vs. one of these.

Precision tracking is great, but I have seen very few things that truly needed it. Hopefully this fixes the controllers floating away like they would on the vive if they had problems seeing the lighthouse. My VR space is 13'x13' so it happens more than I would certainly like.

HUGE +1 on that statement. - Rift owner
I love how comfy my Rift is, but have not tried any others. The cord actually does not bother me since I have the slack on a spring.
If I am going to upgrade to anything, I want a big leap.

For me the Vive is comfortable or more exactly I forget I am even wearing it. What is uncomfortable is wearing a welding helmet in awkward positions for long periods of time as in all day in 100F+ days. Anyways found some of the Vive comments on comfort amusing. The upcoming Samsung headset has my interest due to being mostly 1.7x the # of pixels over the Vive and better colors.

I really don't see how people think the Rift is comfortable. The Vive was more comfortable by a large margin.

I really don't see how people think the Rift is comfortable. The Vive was more comfortable by a large margin.
Because people have different opinions on what they like? Just a guess.

Based on what? Do you own/use both? Whose margin? Just love these kind of blanket statements... Oh, perhaps you happened to read it on the internet somewhere?

I find the Rift and the Vive very similar as to facial fit - with the Rift being a bit more comfortable as it is less front heavy and lighter overall with a much better strap that balances it on your noggin better. The Vive with the deluxe audio strap pretty much bring the Vive up to the Rift as to overall comfort and balance.

They were both designed to fit a “universal” face shape, however I can see some folks having issues with them if they happen to fall outside of that norm.

For those that they don’t seem to fit well with due do this, there’s always the option of buying different facial interfaces for each. Check out: https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/ for example... replacing the stock facial interface with an alternate pad config will usually address most folk’s comfort issues.

It’s just like the high end sunglasses market... Major brands like Oakley recognize their customer bases and sell different frame sizes and configurations for their Asian customer base compared to their European customers for example.

Based on what? Do you own/use both? Whose margin? Just love these kind of blanket statements... Oh, perhaps you happened to read it on the internet somewhere?

Yes, I've owned both. Lucky enough to be in a job that uses VR for product development and have spent significant time with both, in games and in non-game applications.

The Rift simply does not fit my face, nose, nor my need for glasses well. The Vive has the ability to focus so I don't even need to wear my glasses, fits my wide nose and is more comfortable to wear for a length of time. Not to mention the Vive shuts out light better than the Rift does which seems to have a lot of "seepage" from the bottom of the visor, especially around the nose.

Would you now like me to discuss why the Corvette is also a piece of shit?

Reactions: noko
like this
Yes, I've owned both. Lucky enough to be in a job that uses VR for product development and have spent significant time with both, in games and in non-game applications.

The Rift simply does not fit my face, nose, nor my need for glasses well. The Vive has the ability to focus so I don't even need to wear my glasses, fits my wide nose and is more comfortable to wear for a length of time. Not to mention the Vive shuts out light better than the Rift does which seems to have a lot of "seepage" from the bottom of the visor, especially around the nose.

So you have different facial features than other people? Weird...

Pick whichever is better for you. Never owned a corvette. Don't really like cars.

:LOL:, each there own. Anyways I've found the Vive with the straps and all rather comfortable, not heavy and I do not need to wear my glasses fortunately. My biggest beef with the Vive is color and then resolution. I saw no need to invest $100 for the Vive Deluxe Audio strap. If it was $49 then I would probably get it to try it out.

No need to get your panties all in a wad. :D Just try appending your blanket statements with “for me” next time...

When you post one liner shit like “I don’t see how people...” and “X is more comfortable then Y by a wide margin” you are expressing your opinion via simple declarative statements that seem to apply to everyone as if they are known fact when in reality they really apply more to you alone. You are also doing this with zero supporting background information until you are called out on it. It’s great that you have an opinion on the Vive’s and the Rift’s comfort, but why not share the additional data up front in the first place? I would also love to read about your opinion on Corvettes, but please start that thread over in the appropriate General Mayhem sub-forum instead of here.

Last edited:
Back