Dell U3014 News

Got my Dell U3014 a couple of days ago :)
P1040492_zps5210abd5.jpg

More pics here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751499

Can't decide whether the U3011 or U3014 is better although the U3014 definitely runs cooler.
The AG coating on the U3014 is better than the U3011 but I only notice the difference on white or light-colored backgrounds.

Hi

Did you noticed any bleed with your monitor? Can you please give us some "black" pictures? Thanks

What country are you in and where did you buy it?

Looks like the screen is indeed matte.

Hi

Did you noticed any bleed with your monitor? Can you please give us some "black" pictures? Thanks
Backlight bleed is actually pretty minimum. A lot better than the U3011. Will take some comparison photos later tonight when I get back home.

Where? How?? I want one :(

What country are you in and where did you buy it?
Looks like the screen is indeed matte.
Singapore, Dell online.
Yup, screen is still matte but less grainy compared to the U3011. I prefer the AG coating on this one.

I use that same wallpaper from time to time. :D
Good taste ;) Mine's set to change every few minutes.

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Incredibly jealous, Zetc. Looks fantastic.

Not sure how accurate this information is, but I ended up online chatting with someone in Dell US sales today to see if they knew when the U3014 would be launched. The person chatting on the other end took awhile to check while they searched through their emails, and finally answered:

Agent (Albert L): "I apologize but as per checking, we don't have an exact date of release of this monitor in Dell US. All I see is this model is expected to be released on June"

I certainly hope this isn't true since we're seeing this launched on other non-US Dell sites. June is a long time to wait for an upgrade. Just returned an HP ZR30w last week due to panel imperfections and the heavy antiglare coating (also decided I'm not a fan of the CCFL backlighting). Sad there aren't any LED-backlit 30" options available right now.

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Incredibly jealous, Zetc. Looks fantastic.

Not sure how accurate this information is, but I ended up online chatting with someone in Dell US sales today to see if they knew when the U3014 would be launched. The person chatting on the other end took awhile to check while they searched through their emails, and finally answered:

Agent (Albert L): "I apologize but as per checking, we don't have an exact date of release of this monitor in Dell US. All I see is this model is expected to be released on June"

I certainly hope this isn't true since we're seeing this launched on other non-US Dell sites. June is a long time to wait for an upgrade. Just returned an HP ZR30w last week due to panel imperfections and the heavy antiglare coating (also decided I'm not a fan of the CCFL backlighting). Sad there aren't any LED-backlit 30" options available right now.

Thanks SasquatchTaunt :)
Hope you'll get your U3014 soon. I think you'll like the less aggressive AG coating on the U3014.

Sub'd.

Curious how much better the U3014 is over the U3011.

Currently use a 2407wfp-hc and man is it getting long in the tooth! Have no complaints with it besides wanting more resolution. Seems like every iteration of Dell's 30"er it's always gotten better. I personally like the styling of the 3011 better, and its cheaper. I have no experience with these AG coatings everybody gripes about (or if my current monitor has it at all).

So the U3014 is half gloss half matte? Because I know the U3011 is full matte, as far as I'm aware....but they did tune down the AG on the U3011 after REV A07

So the U3014 is half gloss half matte? Because I know the U3011 is full matte, as far as I'm aware....but they did tune down the AG on the U3011 after REV A07

The AG on the u3011 was never, toned down. I don't know how that rumor started but it absolutely is not true.

If you get a chance to compare the two side by side, you will definitely notice the difference in the AG coating.
The AG coating on the U3011 isn't that bad actually.

Quick summary:

Dell U3014 bezel width: 2.3cm
Dell U3011 bezel width: 2.5cm

Dell U3014 power usage at 50% brightness and contrast:
DellU3014_zps5c7394de.jpg

Dell U3011 power usage at 50% brightness and contrast:
DellU3011_zpsd2fc7d07.jpg

Did some color comparison of the U3011 and U3014 here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751499

At 50% brightness on both, the U3011 seems to have less backlight bleed. I had initially set the brightness on the U3014 to 35%, which when compared to the U3011 at 50%, had noticeably lesser backlight bleed.

Last edited:
stop buying IPS for christ's sake. Don't you see how BAD they SUCK? bleeding is a feature of IPS LOL

stop buying IPS for christ's sake. Don't you see how BAD they SUCK? bleeding is a feature of IPS LOL

There is no assured way to avoid bleeding on LCDs. IPS is less transparent to light than TN, so requires stronger backlights. On the other hand TN has terrible viewing angles so no one has been stupid enough to make huge TN panels, but rest assured that if 30" TN existed, they would bend and warp as well, and show bleeding.

You say that bleeding is a feature of IPS. I kindly ask you to show us a true 30" that does not bleed.

Did you read the link you provided? That will not be a VA panel. I've also used plenty of IPS panels with no BLB issues, although there is a distinction between backlight bleed and IPS glow which is common.

By the way, this is from the link you provided. It is not a VA panel from what i'm reading.

http://www.auo.com/?sn=149&lang=en-US&c=33&n=319

12ms on a 2013 panel? That's VA until proved otherwise.

You may had plenty of IPS without backlight issues, but as screen size increases, it take less bending and warping of the screen to generate perceivable bleeding, not only because a bigger screen is easier to bend and warp,but also because bigger monitors have stronger lights behind.

My 30" bends slightly as it warms during prolonged use. Not deal breaking, but shows how challenging it is to make a thin LCD film 30" wide perfectly flat.

You still didn't read the link provided. The link in your prior post indicated that it clearly was not a VA panel. AHVA = Advanced Hyper Viewing Angles hybrid IPS technology.

I also find it completely hilarious that "it's a VA panel unless proven otherwise". Okay, so despite your original link stating that it was hybrid IPS, now you say the burden is on me to prove otherwise. If you say so.

Last edited:
Hi,

for information, the Dell U3014 is available in Europe. I live in France and normaly I will receive it tomorrow...

Hi,
Are you negotiated a reduction with Dell France? Whether you managed to get what?

It seems like the US has additional regulatory issues that causes this with many electronics releases :(

I seem to recall this happening to prior Dell screens as well. EU seems to get everything before the US.

Usually the sticker price is a lot higher in the EU... even if you subtract the 21% VAT that applies in many countries. (Some have a big higher / lower VAT)

Take ThinkPad laptops: Both my ThinkPads were originally sold in the US. That saved me over a 1000 euros....

Only in the last few years have prices of electronics and camerastuff become more uniform between the US and Europe.

Quite frankly, many people here are ridiculous about obsessing over nonsensical bullshit here about BLB, cross hatching, etc. People are looking for the perfect monitor. IT does not exist.

Exactly. Do you know what I find the most annoying on my Dell 3008WFP? It's not the "oh so terrible" antiglare coating or the "oh totally unusable for gaming" input lag or any backlight bleeding it might have (haven't noticed). It's the fact that it takes the display about 8-10 seconds to come to life after switching resolutions. My computer wakes from sleep faster than this display. Well, that and the lack of support for 2560x1440 res.

But other than that I've been really happy with it, have no issues with the antiglare (neither has anyone else who has used mine) or input lag.

The U3014 looks nice and if it still has the rather stellar hardware scaler for lower resolutions, it should be a pretty killer display.

@korette : Merci pour l'information ! ;) Je vais essayer de faire de même :)

@all : Do we know something about input lag or latency on the u3014 ?

It's going to be fine. I've used the 3011 and it is visually indistinguishable from all other current model IPS / PLS panels i've used in games, and i've used a ton.

It's one of those things where people with OCD will obsess over 22ms vs 15 but you wont notice ANY difference in real world use. It'll be fine. Trust me.

Do you guys think in the coming months/year we'll see Korean 30" monitors with the U3014 panel in them?

Exactly. Do you know what I find the most annoying on my Dell 3008WFP? It's not the "oh so terrible" antiglare coating or the "oh totally unusable for gaming" input lag or any backlight bleeding it might have (haven't noticed). It's the fact that it takes the display about 8-10 seconds to come to life after switching resolutions. My computer wakes from sleep faster than this display. Well, that and the lack of support for 2560x1440 res.

But other than that I've been really happy with it, have no issues with the antiglare (neither has anyone else who has used mine) or input lag.

The U3014 looks nice and if it still has the rather stellar hardware scaler for lower resolutions, it should be a pretty killer display.

Yup, I feel the same way. There's one poster in particular on this forum that spouts hyperbole nonstop about various panels being "unusable for gaming" and "worst ghosting i've ever seen". Pretty sure he hasn't used any of the screens in question either.

Last edited:
Are there any English reviews of this monitor out? I appreciate Zetc job in the boxing thread but I would like to read a few more reviews before spending $1499.99 plus tax on a monitor.

It's about time this monitor is released in the US! Now I know where my tax return money is going.

Please nobody order until I've read the tftcentral review. Thanks!

Hopefully the review is out tomorrow and hopefully dell has enough stock so that mine ships in the first batch on the 16th. Unless they were shipping sooner before and I already missed the boat.

Sounds like it (tft central review) should be tomorrow or the next day. From what they've said on their twitter, it's pretty similar to the 2713H while being (obviously) a larger screen size ;)

Which is fine by me. 2713H is a great screen. I'm anxious to get one of these bad boys, unfortunately the ETA for delivery is 4/16 :(

I've been lurking here and hoping the review would come out before US availability, not quite but oh well. I gave away my u3011 to a family member and am on a u2410 temporarily. I'm not a person that notices input lag that much but I'll be doing a lot of gaming on the 3014 and I hope it's not through the roof.

Back