Dell U3014 News

I get it now, only way is to get a laptop with displayport.

Ah, I see. Yeah it's a common issue with 2012 Ultrabooks, I have the same problem with mine :(

It seems like the macbook pro/air are the only 2012 portables that have displayport. I really despise HDMI because of the issues with higher resolution.

Well the monitor comes with an hdmi cable so if I might try it later today, seems unlikely to do 1600p though.

I just received my U3014 earlier this week and was wondering if anyone else noticed a problem with the display spontaneously turning off or noticed a problem when the computer boots of the monitor NOT detecting a DVI signal and showing a picture? Usually I have to turn my monitor off and back off before it shows a picture. I also notice that sometimes the right hand touch control buttons do not want to detect my thumb press.

Hi Mithra,
the only problem that i have from the bunch that you have described are unresponsive touch-control buttons. About the screen turning off, i remember U3011 had problems with some mobile phones, maybe its also the case with U3014 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LoiPlhU5xw

also plz could you check your display if it has this problem and tell me the revision and manufacturing date of your display:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756669

Feb 2013, Revision A01

I haven't had the scrambled pixel glitch ( maybe it was video card or software related ) but

I continue to have issues with the monitor NOT detecting the video signal on the DVI input on PC boot up. I have to turn the monitor off and back on.

Occasionally ( and as of this moment ) the DVI port icon will get stuck and remain On in the top left corner of the display.

And yes I've had some responsiveness issues with the the touch controls on the right hand side. It's interesting because they can sense my finger 3/4" inch away. I'd honestly rather have a conventional button. I don't know why some engineer thought this would be more reliable.

Overall I'm happy with the monitor and the presentation, its just a bit flaky in a few respects.

EDIT : I actually DO see a horizontal effect in the lower left corner but on my monitor its so slight I would not have noticed it if I weren't looking for it.

Last edited:
Feb 2013, Revision A01
EDIT : I actually DO see a horizontal effect in the lower left corner but on my monitor its so slight I would not have noticed it if I weren't looking for it.

Then you you're in luck. There are whole batches of defective U3014 with the "scanline problem". DELL can't even offer working replacement ATM, since it seems all new U3014 are affected. People who got the replacements, have the same problem with scanlines.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx

Posted by DELL-Chris M replied on 04-17-2013 9:22 AM

We just saw the issue in the lab yesterday and sent it to the manufacturer. It will take several weeks before they can isolate root cause. We will then discuss the cost of fixing the issue which will take more time.
Posted by DELL-Chris M replied on 04-17-2013 4:34 PM

I can only speak for the Americas policies, but if a fix is found, the first ones fixed would be new ones. So here in the Americas, we would issue a new exchange. For now, getting any exchange will not help.

Posted by DELL-Chris M replied on 18 Apr 2013 3:38 PM
Getting an exchange now will result in you getting a monitor with the same issue. As I said, this will take us several weeks to find root cause. Then we will have to discuss possible fixes. Then a fix has to be put into place. That is why I cannot provide an ETA on a fix. Returning the monitor is your option but do it quickly. I think you only have 21 or 30 days from the invoice date to do this.

Last edited:
I read on a forum that the u3014 has over-saturated greens when lowering brightness under 40, which is required I think since those screens tend to be super bright, particularly around 15-20 brightness. And the factory calibration seems to be done at 50 which makes it useless for this.
Anyone with the u3014 can test this please?

Then you you're in luck. There are whole batches of defective U3014 with the "scanline problem". DELL can't even offer working replacement ATM, since it seems all new U3014 are affected. People who got the replacements, have the same problem with scanlines.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx

I was going to order a U3014, but reading this post makes me unsure. I tried asking in Dell Chat, but they did not know anything about this problem.
Sigh...

Experience has shown that initial revision of Dell monitors are generally plagued with issues.
Well, it seems that the u3014 is no exception to that.

I was going to order a U3014, but reading this post makes me unsure. I tried asking in Dell Chat, but they did not know anything about this problem.
Sigh...

I think its best you wait till at least rev A02. I have to have my monitor replaced just less than 2 weeks after I received it. In less than 2 weeks, my menu button had become unresponsive, a permanent vertical green bar span across the screen and experience what others have also experienced in this forum -- images suddenly turns into the negative of itself.
My replacement does not come with problem free too. Just after 1 day of use, the menu button stopped working. Right now, it seems to work again but I am keeping an eye on this.
I cannot recommend this monitor to you until DELL sort out their engineering quirks. Currently this crap doesn't seem to last long and there is a good chance you will also encounter some sort of problem.
The only good thing is if you are buying direct from DELL, they are very efficient and good with the next business day replacement warranty. The 5 years extended warranty is very much encouraged if you are seriously considering this model.

If true I have to ask, Why didnt they catch this in testing? :confused:

So, is this new version worth getting over the last 30" model? Is the coating different?

If true I have to ask, Why didnt they catch this in testing? :confused:

Especially for a $1700+ device!! That is just ridiculous lack of quality. Damn it! I was really hanging out for another screen to up my 2707!

Especially for a $1700+ device!! That is just ridiculous lack of quality. Damn it! I was really hanging out for another screen to up my 2707!

Depending on what you are willing to spend, maybe check out an NEC PA301W. B&H has them for $1800 shipped (have to add it to the cart to see the price).

Basically same kind of features at the Dell monitor (30", wide gamut, full hardware calibration, uniformity compensation, 3D LUTs, etc) except it is CCFL, not LED. Unlike the Dell, everything works great. No issues with calibration (with or without a sensor), no image issues, etc.

I'd been eyeing a 30" display and wanted a PA301W but they were too much, like $2200. I was thinking about a U3014 but when I was the lower price on the PA301W decided I'd just get that since I'm an NEC fan. Seeing the problems here, I'm glad I did.

So an option you can think about. It isn't as cheap as a U3014 and isn't precisely the same thing, but it is a high end 30" monitor and all the features on it work.

I read on a forum that the u3014 has over-saturated greens when lowering brightness under 40, which is required I think since those screens tend to be super bright, particularly around 15-20 brightness. And the factory calibration seems to be done at 50 which makes it useless for this.
Anyone with the u3014 can test this please?

yes, more saturated green when lower than 50 and more saturated red when above 50.
Probably due to using LED instead of CCFL.

Continued use of my u3014 reveals persistent issues with :

Unresponsive controls. Power button is slow or doesn't seem to know when to turn the monitor off half the time. I've also gotten stuck in the configuration menu and not been able to exit.

Signal detection weirdness. While booting my computer, I can turn the monitor on, see the post and BIOS information / motherboard logo, but as soon as it changes resolutions for Windows I get a black screen. I have to power the monitor OFF and back ON before I can see the Windows user login. Apparently it isn't handling resolution changes well.

Spontaneous black screen? I've been able to launch an application several times before and the act of it opening a window on my desktop has somehow triggered the monitor to go black. Power OFF and power ON fixes the problem, but highly annoying. This is an intermittent problem.

Stuck DVI source icon in top left corner. When the monitor detects the video source at power on, occasionally the little DVI plug icon sticks and remains on. Power OFF and power ON to fix. :/

Fortunately I've had no problem with the picture itself!

Anyway, I am wondering if switching to an HDMI cable might alleviate some of these issues, just on the chance that input invokes a different set of circuits. I will test this and post my findings.

Unresponsive controls. Power button is slow or doesn't seem to know when to turn the monitor off half the time. I've also gotten stuck in the configuration menu and not been able to exit.

Seen this in both my previous unit which I sent back and my current replacement unit.

Signal detection weirdness. While booting my computer, I can turn the monitor on, see the post and BIOS information / motherboard logo, but as soon as it changes resolutions for Windows I get a black screen. I have to power the monitor OFF and back ON before I can see the Windows user login. Apparently it isn't handling resolution changes well.

Seen this in both my previous unit which I sent back and my current replacement unit. Intermitten issue.

Spontaneous black screen? I've been able to launch an application several times before and the act of it opening a window on my desktop has somehow triggered the monitor to go black. Power OFF and power ON fixes the problem, but highly annoying. This is an intermittent problem.

Problem most likely related to your previous comment. I have seen this when launching games too.

Stuck DVI source icon in top left corner. When the monitor detects the video source at power on, occasionally the little DVI plug icon sticks and remains on. Power OFF and power ON to fix.

Seen this in my previous unit just before I RMA it.

Anyway, I am wondering if switching to an HDMI cable might alleviate some of these issues, just on the chance that input invokes a different set of circuits. I will test this and post my findings.

Don't think it helps but you can try. I am guessing root cause is poorly designed/engineered circuit board with cheap components.

Cheap components? on the top fo the line "professional" monitor thats wayyyy more expensive then all the other models in their line? Dell dropped the ball on this one me thinks. Very Disappointed.

Just got U3014, first immediate problem, kind of out of sync flickering in the game & movie modes. Standard and Paper modes are OK, is it my video card or display? Does it expect different frequency in the game/movie modes?

Back