Dell U2713HM

Mine is rev A00 manufactured in Jan 2013. I use it for web browsing, gaming and movies.

Can't say a bad word about it really, I'm completely satisfied with the purchase.

All you whining peeps must have a really bad luck :confused:
I have a spec of dust and a bit of yellow BLB in the lower left of the display. Other then those two things I'm happy too.

You may have to look really close to notice the details that many in this thread are talking about. Though I notice that spec of dust from 2-3 feet away on a all white screen. Shoulda taken that as a sign to send it back :p

Question for all you 2713HM owners. Does this monitor handle motion better than the U2413 and the U2713 ? I have heard that the "pro" models have more issues with motion...

Hi,

i'm a new owner of this display. I've chosen it after reading a few good reviews around internet in which everyone was speaking about excellent colours, good contrast and black.
I've analyzed many comparatives and diagrams in which this display resulted always in a good way.

I've received the display 15 days ago, and from the first moment I noticed a very low contrast and very bad blacks. I thought it was because a very bad "out of the box" setting, so i tried to calibrate using Spyder 3 Pro (that was working very good in my previous display, a 27' iMac) and Basiccolor.

The results confirmed my initial impressions: after the calibration contrast and the black levels were really really bad (a max of 430:1 for contrast and 0.38 cd/m2 for black levels) and very different from the values reported in every review (something like >800:1 for contrast and < 0.20 for blacks). I tried every possibile combination of brightness, contrast and preset mode without any improvement. Colours resulted good (delta E < 3) but contrast and blacks were absolutely poor and you can easily notice on every photo you see! The display also shows a bad uniformity about colours (very warm in the middle and cool in the corners).

These things are really unaccettable for a 600$ IPS display!!! Is my single display defective or what else? Can anyone having this display please check his own levels of contrast and black using a calibrator and report here?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

i'm a new owner of this display. I've chosen it after reading a few good reviews around internet in which everyone was speaking about excellent colours, good contrast and black.
I've analyzed many comparatives and diagrams in which this display resulted always in a good way.

I've received the display 15 days ago, and from the first moment I noticed a very low contrast and very bad blacks. I thought it was because a very bad "out of the box" setting, so i tried to calibrate using Spyder 3 Pro (that was working very good in my previous display, a 27' iMac) and Basiccolor.

The results confirmed my initial impressions: after the calibration contrast and the black levels were really really bad (a max of 430:1 for contrast and 0.38 cd/m2 for black levels) and very different from the values reported in every review (something like >800:1 for contrast and < 0.20 for blacks). I tried every possibile combination of brightness, contrast and preset mode without any improvement. Colours resulted good (delta E < 3) but contrast and blacks were absolutely poor and you can easily notice on every photo you see! The display also shows a bad uniformity about colours (very warm in the middle and cool in the corners).

These things are really unaccettable for a 600$ IPS display!!! Is my single display defective or what else? Can anyone having this display please check his own levels of contrast and black using a calibrator and report here?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe your connection( DVI ect) or you have a bad monitor... Contact Dell asap

according to a forum member on Dell.com there is a fix coming mid April to this monitor for the "buzzing" sound? Hmmm

Posted by T9999 replied on 1 Apr 2013 2:23 PM
I'm being told that by mid-april a fix should be in place, and that it would be possible to exchange the monitor then. I'll post an update if / when that happens, I don't know more than that for now.

Current orders for the U2713HM ordered directly from Dell are being delayed until May 1st and beyond. They may be pushing out a new rev soon.

^ thats bad news its going to take longer but it might be great news for the buzzing issue and cross hatching. Hopefully Dell is pulling out a new Rev.

I'm personally going to wait until they fix these monitors to use the warranty service on my monitor. For now it's "good nuff" and I'm not THAT picky to keep sending it back and forth every day until I get a monitor that's a little better then the one I have (I don't have time for that non-sense).

If anyone is having issues RMA it while still under warranty! Personally felt this series was way overrated! Hope they fix whatever issues in the next revision!

March 2013 with Rev A01, hopefully it isnt a downgraded panel

Update
no yellow bleeding
no dead pixels

Last edited:
@Reiniku, Where did you purchase from? Still with crosshatching or buzzing noise? can we get a mini-review with some pics of the display in a dark room?

Cheers!

@Reiniku, Where did you purchase from? Still with crosshatching or buzzing noise? can we get a mini-review with some pics of the display in a dark room?

Cheers!

The price was so good (~$500) that I actually bought 2 directly from Dell. The second one is coming today so I want to set it up and I'll do a comparison. I also have my tried and true 2405FPW hanging out, though I don't have the desk space for all 3. :(

I have noticed some light crosshatching, but no buzzing noise. The crosshatching is actually more visible on off-white colors (like egg-shell white) for me and I can't see any kind of crosshatching or hear any kind of buzzing when looking at wikipedia pages. The yellow tinting is very light on the bottom left, but playing really dark games like LIMBO makes it really noticeable.

I only have an iPhone for picture taking so don't expect much from my pictures.

No worries. Thanks for the report.... I might pull the trigger on this... still considering the Viewsonic VP2770.

so people with REV A01,

can you guys confirm that there IS or NO yellow bleeding on the left lower corner and white glowing on the right lower corner?

i am still with in the 30 days warranty service (which would get a new monitor instead of used/refurb. according to Dell's policy.

i would like to get a REV A01, cuz my A00 feb. production has those yellow and white bleeding.

Seems like I will be using the RMA as well since my panel has developed some bright pixels.

so people with REV A01,

can you guys confirm that there IS or NO yellow bleeding on the left lower corner and white glowing on the right lower corner?

i am still with in the 30 days warranty service (which would get a new monitor instead of used/refurb. according to Dell's policy.

i would like to get a REV A01, cuz my A00 feb. production has those yellow and white bleeding.

There is definitely yellow bleeding on my A01 on the bottom left but no white glow on the lower right. It's actually really uniform other than the yellow bleeding.

photo.jpg

I guess there's some white bleeding / ips glow from the top right, but it isn't noticable in real life. The picture also exaggerates the yellow bleed. I've also noticed that relieving some of the pressure from the bezel really reduces the yellow glow, so I'm wondering if it's due to how the panel is mounted in its case. if I use my fingers to gently pry the bezel at the seems it almost gets rid of it entirely.

Last edited:
I got my Rev A01 made in March today. I've been comparing it to the Achieva Shimian that I've been using for a year now and there's no question the Dell is better in almost every way.

I don't see yellowing from the bottom left and the color uniformity of the monitor is very good. It's not perfect and if I full screen a white or off white page I can see differences between the top left and bottom right. However when I pull up the grey inversion test from Lagom it is hard to see any uniformity issues. I've had many IPS monitors in the past and this is one of the most uniform ones I've seen, the zr24w I owned was also very good but I sold it due to the poor black levels and broken scaler. On the Shimian I can clearly see that the bottom right is pretty yellow and the top left is darker.

Cross hatching is still there but you have to go looking for it. Full screening the featured article on Wikipedia does make the monitor buzz, but it is not very loud. With the window made smaller the buzzing goes away.

I don't know what [H] expects out of a <$600 1440p IPS panel but overall I think it's pretty good unless the cross hatching really bothers people.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my second one, also A01. There's still a slight amount of yellow glow on the bottrom left but it's night and day compared to the one on the right (my first one). I'm seriously considering sending in the second one just to get something similar to the one on the left.

photo.jpg

I get mine on Monday.

It seems everyone so far that received theirs from the slickdeals deal, which had a delay, are receiving the 01 Revisions.

I'm upgrading from a Dell 24" 2408WFP. I also got a HP 27" IPS LED Backlit monitor 27xi for $200.

Does anyone with revision a01 monitors have image retention? On gray backgrounds, I see outlines of web browsers and anything that is stationary. They seem to disappear gradually over time. I got my replacement on order and will check if that unit is free from defects.

I know its hard to photograph the cross hatching, but does anyone have an example of it?

Looks like Rev 01 is slowly making progress.

I got mine today the A01. The yellow glow is really bad that I'm going to exchange. Very disappointing.

null_zpsd887c47b.jpg

The white glow is a bit exaggerated from the picture compare to reality but the yellow is almost the same thing I see.

I got mine today the A01. The yellow glow is really bad that I'm going to exchange. Very disappointing.

The white glow is a bit exaggerated from the picture compare to reality but the yellow is almost the same thing I see.

Is that will full brightness ? Im guessing a black image with what settings?

Its default settings at 75 brightness and contrast. sRGB. I lowered the brightness to 30 but the yellow tint is bad still. I'm not really picky so if it wasn't too bad I'd keep it but it is.

Still, I love the color detail of this monitor and the light coating. It's simply awesome coming from a 1080P monitor. I do notice the lag though compare to my BenQ 120hz monitor.

Its default settings at 75 brightness and contrast. sRGB. I lowered the brightness to 30 but the yellow tint is bad still. I'm not really picky so if it wasn't too bad I'd keep it but it is.

Still, I love the color detail of this monitor and the light coating. It's simply awesome coming from a 1080P monitor. I do notice the lag though compare to my BenQ 120hz monitor.

ah okay. I hope they slowly get better? haha

Just bought one of these and already wishing I hadn't :(

The whole bottom left hand corner lights up with a cloudy yellow hue in any semi dark scene and is clearly visible even in a well lit room.

It also has a stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen.

It's going back to dell next week.

Well... it would seem they cant get things right, even on the new revision... Think I'm gonna jump ship to the Viewsonic VP2770. Seems to be a better monitor and not that much more expensive.

My dell u2713hm hsd backlight bleed on arrival.

I just accepted but it hated it.

I must say that after 2 months of use the bleeding has gone away.

Not sure if more people experienced this.

Well, I have a replacement for mine coming in the next couple of days. The Quality control on these just isn't good enough. If the replacement is a dud too then I want a refund.

I'll get the Asus instead.

This is mine:

IMAGES

Other than that blb is really UNNOTICABLE when you use this monior, at least in my case.

Not terrible at all. Its what is to be some what expected with IPS monitors these days. A lot of the images i have seen people turn their brightness to max and unusable situations to make the issue even worse then it really is.

Back