Dell U2713HM

if anybody is interested in buying one of these I have an extra I am trying to get rid of.

just pm me.

Hello guys,

I'm at my 2nd Dell U2713HM rev A00 and I found a new problem... more like a bug actually. I believe this is present on at least all rev A00 models. You can try to reproduce it yourselves:

1. Choose any other preset except sRGB
2. Adjust the contrast so it's higher than the default shipped value of 75% (you can set it to even 76%)
3. Choose sRGB preset
4. Take a look at this crop from one of the Windows7 in-built landscape wallpapers (or you can choose it directly from Windows 7): http://www.imagebam.com/image/359855265084078
Specifically, look above the edge of the water.
5. LOL?

Let me know if you guys also experience this issue.

Additionally, I'm fighting the same yellow backlight glow on the lower-left corner. I'm trying to obtain an A01, maybe I get lucky (and also we all know that the 3rd time's a charm). Take a look at how my first monitor exhibited this:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/489ed8264796318

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm at my 2nd Dell U2713HM rev A00 and I found a new problem... more like a bug actually. I believe this is present on at least all rev A00 models. You can try to reproduce it yourselves:

1. Choose any other preset except sRGB
2. Adjust the contrast so it's higher than the default shipped value of 75% (you can set it to even 76%)
3. Choose sRGB preset
4. Take a look at this crop from one of the Windows7 in-built landscape wallpapers (or you can choose it directly from Windows 7): http://www.imagebam.com/image/359855265084078
Specifically, look above the edge of the water.
5. LOL?

Let me know if you guys also experience this issue.

Additionally, I'm fighting the same yellow backlight glow on the lower-left corner. I'm trying to obtain an A01, maybe I get lucky (and also we all know that the 3rd time's a charm). Take a look at how my first monitor exhibited this:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/489ed8264796318

I tried this and didn't see anything unusual. What do you see?

Edit: Oh, I see now! Yep, looks like a bug. Many colors look dithered. Weird that it happens only after 75 and only if switching to sRGB with that value.

Last edited:
I just observed that in sRGB preset, no matter the contrast setting, the gradients have banding.
Compare Standard vs. sRGB here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Wasn't the sRGB preset supposed to be the best one as it has been factory calibrated? It has one major issue and a bug already.

If I won't be able to exchange this for an A01 I will ask for my money back and will return to my old Philips Brilliance 109P4 19" CRT until LCD manufacturers get their act together.

Very dissapointed with Dell.

Dell has updated the panel inside the u2713hm, here is some proof for you guys

PANEL UPDATE:

Some great news for everyone wondering about this so called "SLC1" Panel update. A friend of mine has about four of these monitors, he decided to take a peak inside to find out which build date and rev have which Panel.

1. April 2013 A01
LG.Display LM270WQ1-SLB2
(Taken from TFT)

2. April 2013 A01
LG.Display LM270WQ1-SLB2

3. May 2013 A01
LG.Display LM270WQ1-SLB2

4. May 2013 A00
LG.Display LM270WQ1-SLC1
Photo Proof:
900x900px-LL-7d7c8ff1_IMG_1543.jpeg

Would you look at that, the speculation is correct, there is a newer panel out "SLC1" and seems to come in May 2013 Rev A00 . I happened to receive one of these also and i can tell you the crosshatching is a night and day difference. It really isn't even noticeable.

Seems a little backwards for A00 to have a later rev panel than A01... Maybe they just use whatever panel revs they have, and it has nothing to do with the monitors rev.

I believe Dell went backwards in Rev's. The newest ones coming out of Dell seem to be a May 2013 Rev 00 .

This is quoted from someone fairly high up at Dell.

“Displays from the repair center should have revision A02 which would be the latest. Displays from the factory may have revision A00 because they changed all the part numbers due to implementation of ES 6.0. These will have the new SLC1 panels with all the fixes.”

So it makes sense displays now are going back down to A00. This panel is amazing, the way the monitor should have come from the factory always.

Mines a Jan 2013 Rev 00.

Not sure what panel I have (not about to take it apart). But I have slight backlight bleed in lower left corner. Which either I've gotten use to over time, or went away slightly. Either way I been pretty happy with my monitor.

I am thinking of getting this monitor to replace my Dell U2311HM (which I will use it at work) for my home setup. I was thinking of using this as a HTPC/Gaming/Work home setup.

Will it accept connections from the PS3 and the PC. I know for PC I can use the DVI port. This monitor does come with a HDMI port. What about the sound from the PS3? How will I channel the sound to the hifi?

I am using a hifi speakers for the sound so the sound goes from the PC to the Hifi. So the PS3 can be displayed on the monitor, but since I am not going to get that soundbar, do I pull cables from the monitor to the PC for the PS3 sound or do I place an additional cable from the PS3 to the PC for the sound?

Thanks

Hi there I am new to this board, but just got off Dell Australia. And they said U2713hm rev A02, Just arrived in Australia and will be shipping one soon to me this coming Monday to replace my old rev01. I will get back to you with Updates ok. They said rev A02 fixes backlight bleeding and some small issues with screeching sound. No comment was made from the cross hatching problems when i asked online/ phoned dell AUSTRALIA.

Just got back from dell delivery yesterday and they gave me a refurbished rev A00 manufactured in decemeber 2012. backlight bleeding was fixed way better, but very bad to worst cross hatching action. Not very happy, that i had to re-contacted dell and they shipped a brand new monitor overnight.

Woke up today and the startrack courior sent me a BRAND NEW REV A00 manufactured in July 2013 (hot off the factory press). Soo far VERY PLEASED!!!!. OMG No cross hatching and I MEAN IT (ITS all fixed), way wayyyy better back bleeding til none. Can see a little bit of light bleeding, but no Ugly yellow discolorationgs like old rev A01. (Yes I know I maybe critical, but I am also a perfectionist in things like this).

Kellis can you post pictures of what you are talking about? I'm wondering if the tear tearing I'm seeing is what you were seeing.

Anybody experiencing the Yellow Tint in the corner of their monitor?

I had this but after months of continued use it is completely gone.

by the way i have an extra one of these I am interested in selling.

Tried taking a picture, but camera does not like it in night mode and gives it a weird blue color at the screen. I can see some very little light bleeding on screen round corner, but its bearable (As most panels have them, it's a natural standard). But no cross hatching YAY!. And no ugly yellow tinted blob crap i had to deal with Rev A01. In conclusion its pretty good monitor, can be better to perfect in black bleeding (But then again I am OCD about perfection).

Kellis can you post pictures of what you are talking about? I'm wondering if the tear tearing I'm seeing is what you were seeing.

The pictures came out bad with this new camera i bought Canon sx280hs. BUT As I said NO more cross hatching its fixed!!! its nearly perfect besides the very small amount of light bleeding around some corner edges (Minor details). I would score this now 85/100. better than a crappy 55-60/100 from previous revisions (I MEAN IT TOO!!!!).

Anyone know of good custom color rgb presets that work with this? I've been using the sRGB but it seems to have visible banding that is otherwise absent.

Edit: I see TFT central used rgb 93, 100, 99 when calibrating the monitor. I'm using this and it looks pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Started a new thread since this is getting thread is getting wayy to long.

Last edited:
First monitor I bought was an A01 made in China on April 2013 but it had a large spot of discoloration and some cross-hatching:

The first used replacement monitor was an A02 made in Mexico on November 2012 had severe cross-hatching (no picture).

2nd new replacement monitor is an A00 made in China on June 2013, somewhat uneven backlighting (the underexposed picture below doesn't represent it realistically) and a lit green pixel.

Hopefully the 3rd new replacement will be perfect.

Hello i want to buy Dell U2713HM and i have a question.

Is the latest versions also have soo many problems?? Like bleeding, crosshatching etc??

Because i cant decide Dell U2713Hm or Asus PB278Q

Hello there,

I just got this monitor, version A00 from August 2013. What do I need to look for with this monitor to see if it's defective or not? Thank you very much.

Just received my new monitor :cool: First time 27" monitor owner, coming from a 37" LG TV that I have used for the past 3 years.

I recieved a U2713HMt model. Is this normal or is this HMt model something new? Rev A00 Oct 2013. Seems pretty good so far, light bleed is minimal, no apparent dead pixels and I dont think there is any cross hatching (unless I don't know what im looking for).

Trying to figure out what panel I got. Anyone have any ICC profile recommendation or any settings? Im currently using the sRGB mode which seems pretty good looking.

I wish I had a calibrator to optimize this panel even more.

Just received my new monitor :cool: First time 27" monitor owner, coming from a 37" LG TV that I have used for the past 3 years.

I recieved a U2713HMt model. Is this normal or is this HMt model something new? Rev A00 Oct 2013. Seems pretty good so far, light bleed is minimal, no apparent dead pixels and I dont think there is any cross hatching (unless I don't know what im looking for).

Trying to figure out what panel I got. Anyone have any ICC profile recommendation or any settings? Im currently using the sRGB mode which seems pretty good looking.

I wish I had a calibrator to optimize this panel even more.

I dont have an answer to your question, however I have a question for you. I'm curious, with whom did you place your order? I'm looking to order this monitor real soon & based on the research I've done thus far, I think you'll be in good shape with a Rev A00 Oct 2013.

I dont have an answer to your question, however I have a question for you. I'm curious, with whom did you place your order? I'm looking to order this monitor real soon & based on the research I've done thus far, I think you'll be in good shape with a Rev A00 Oct 2013.

I ordered directly through Dell on the phone. Got the monitor for $468 out the door brand new. Dells bottom price for a NEW U2713HM is $500 pretax (you just got to ask nicely, or see if they will honor recently expired coupons). If you go ahead and get the $400+75 GC deal from them you are essentially paying $468 out of pocket after taxes. Not a bad deal for a brand new model with 3 years warranty.

Monitor seems good so bar, very minimal light bleed (only a bit on the top left), no dead pixels. I honestly was expecting to be blown away coming from a 37" 1080p LG IPS TV, but doesnt seem too different other than the resolution. Maybe I just haven't set it properly yet or used it to its full potential. Wish I had a calibrator.

Finally figured out the source of the image retention on my U2713HM monitors.

Being plugged into a Mac...

Tried both a Mac Mini and a brand new Macbook Pro 15". To get full rez (2560x1440) out these machines, they must be plugged from the mini-DisplayPort to the DisplayPort on the monitor. The HDMI, VGA, and DVI are limited to 1080p (on the Macs, at least).

Plugged the monitor into a Dell E6230 and voila! No image retention. Plus the dell gets full resolution out of the HDMI port. Go figure.

Do you mean that Dell E6230 could output 2560x1440 via HDMI port?? But I only could archive 1960x1080. Could you please tell me your method? Thanks.

Hey guys, just wondering, where the cheapest place to pick up one of these bad boys? Looking to upgrade my DoubleSight 263N for a higher res.

Thanks!

I've been wanting to buy one of these with from Amazon with some gift card credit I have. I have been watching for a few days now for a good deal and I found that they sell out pretty quickly leaving behind 3rd party companies (not even "fufilled by amazon") that I refuse to work with. I just checked about 15 minutes ago and Amazon had more in stock with the stipulation that it would take an additional 1-2 days to ship and I bit.

Feels nice finally upgrading from 1080 to a real IPS panel instead of a 4bit.

Just wanted to provide some more feedback regarding this monitor. My first monitor was pixel perfect but had some yellow backlight bleed in the typical location for this monitor - bottom left. I accepted this as I barely noticed it. After about 6 months, some clusters of bad pixels started forming and I got a replacement monitor which was "decent" by my standards - similar backlight bleed from the bottom left and some cross-hatching that was quite noticeable on white backgrounds. However, it wasn't long before I noticed a couple of bad pixels again. Again, Dell were very quick to give me a replacement monitor that was "refurbished". Unfortunately, this started a period of about 4-5 replacement monitors (including one brand new one) over just a month which all had bad pixels from the start.

Eventually the Dell customer rep offered to give me a full refund - quite amazing support in this way, as I essentially would have had a "free" 27" monitor for over a year (albeit slightly faulty at times). I decided to give it one more chance and the Dell rep ensured me that I would be getting a brand new revised monitor from their latest batch. Sure enough I received an A00, October 2013 brand new version of the monitor.

And this version (or this particular monitor) has been perfect. No bad pixels that I've noticed, no cross-hatching, and amazingly, no noticeable backlight bleed...not even in that dreaded bottom left corner. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to detect any backlight bleed at all even with a completely blank screen in a completely dark room.

So finally I have a (near) perfect 27" monitor. Dell's support has been frustrating at times (mainly due to the fact that they really like to "try out" giving you "refurbished" monitors first), but they have come through in the end. Overall I can't really complain about Dell's service and support, but they certainly could have saved me some time and inconvenience by just going straight to the "latest" revised version. I guess they know how fussy I am now!

Is there any easy way to tell if you have cross hatching? I have a major stygmatism so it's hard for me to notice minute details sometimes.

Is there any easy way to tell if you have cross hatching? I have a major stygmatism so it's hard for me to notice minute details sometimes.

Even bad cross-hatching is really only noticeable on completely white backgrounds. And even then, you usually have to put your eyes quite close to the monitor to see it. It's literally "cross-hatches" that you can see, something like this pattern:
https://parchment-worldwide.com/wp-...y_CrossHatch_DIAGONAL__26530_zoom-600x600.jpg

After reading all these monitor reviews.. Why is it so darn hard to just make a monitor without any flaws? I understand that different units have different pos and negs, but all I read about is how every monitor pretty much blows.. I guess the squeaky wheels post more than the satisfied customers. But, if I'm looking for a larger format (27") monitor, and deciding between 1440p, or going 3D.. Where should I be looking?

After reading all these monitor reviews.. Why is it so darn hard to just make a monitor without any flaws? I understand that different units have different pos and negs, but all I read about is how every monitor pretty much blows.. I guess the squeaky wheels post more than the satisfied customers. But, if I'm looking for a larger format (27") monitor, and deciding between 1440p, or going 3D.. Where should I be looking?

I think you're pretty safe with a Dell. If you have any problems, they'll send you a replacement in advance. Most of the flaws aren't noticeable during normal use. Backlight bleeding can be annoying if you're watching a movie, but you won't notice it during any other use. I think backlight bleeding is still a lottery. The cross hatching is the only real annoyance I had with this display. The more expensive U2713H doesn't have that problem, but it is wide gamut, and from what I've read, the SRGB mode on it doesn't look as good as the U2713HM, so there are tradeoffs.

I'd still recommend the U2713HM over others because of Dell's replacement policy.

I think you're pretty safe with a Dell. If you have any problems, they'll send you a replacement in advance. Most of the flaws aren't noticeable during normal use. Backlight bleeding can be annoying if you're watching a movie, but you won't notice it during any other use. I think backlight bleeding is still a lottery. The cross hatching is the only real annoyance I had with this display. The more expensive U2713H doesn't have that problem, but it is wide gamut, and from what I've read, the SRGB mode on it doesn't look as good as the U2713HM, so there are tradeoffs.

I'd still recommend the U2713HM over others because of Dell's replacement policy.

That's because the hm uses w-led backlighting and the h uses cfl.

Back