Dell U2713HM

has anyone had dust issues? i have a speck stuck in my panel.. it's been making it's way down my screen for weeks hah :eek:

I have one spec on the right side of the panel... I'm holding out for the revisions to be fixed to trade in for a newer one.

has anyone had dust issues? i have a speck stuck in my panel.. it's been making it's way down my screen for weeks hah :eek:

I have one spec on the right side of the panel. Though I don't know if I want to return it for warrenty replacement considering most people here it seems end up with monitors in worst shape then the first (at least that's how they make it sound).

Auto mode switching? I don't see that anywhere in the menu :confused:

Sorry the Dynamic contrast setting. Also if you install the software it seems the dynamic contrast turns back on so you have to turn it off there too.

The first HM I got had 1 spec of dust on the right side and they sent me a new one that was perfect.

The new dell software is actually pretty cool you can set up pre-determined areas for your windows to resize.

Very impressed with Dell support. I started noticing a couple of faulty pixels on my monitor and posted some pictures back to Dell. They replied shortly after stating that they will send out a replacement monitor to me - this all happened within a week.

The replacement monitor is a "refurbished" one, manufactured December 2012, A00. All looking very good. There is a similar IPS glow particularly from the bottom left - I used to think it was backlight bleed but it goes away when shifting viewing distance or angle. There is very slight cross-hatching (less than my previous one) - you'll only notice it if you're really looking for it.

Inadvertently tested for IR on my rev A00 (accidentally left it for four plus hours). I'm not seeing any.

March 2013 Rev A00:

Don't even mind the yellow that much as compared to the severely distracting bottom border. Noticeable even in a well-lit room with dark scene. And dead subpixels on the top right (can't see from this picture).

Anyways, it's going back.

That's MUCH worse then the one I got... looks almost like the bottom of the bezel is pinching the LCD panel.

April 2013 Rev A01 - much better:

(ignore red, stupid sunlight)

Keeping this one. No dead pixels, also far better color calibration (original ones had delta E's over 8, max of 5 on this one).

Original calibration:

Replacement calibration:

Last edited:
I left up a streaming newscast yesterday (watching the tornado coverage in Oklahoma) and left the room for two hours. I have the display set to turn off after 10 minutes, but the streaming video kept the screen on for those two hours. When I got back to the screen, the browser window and parts of my wallpaper were retained. That was about 14 hours ago, and I can still see it.

Prior to this, I've not seen any retention during actual use with this display, and I've had it for a few months.

would anyone take a chance and NOT buy this from Dell? And instead purchase online or on ebay to save a few bucks? Also, anyone wall mounted this?

Would this be considered normal for Dell U2713HM Rev A01?

windowsstartup.jpg

blackbackgroundfullscre.jpg

Thanks

would anyone take a chance and NOT buy this from Dell? And instead purchase online or on ebay to save a few bucks? Also, anyone wall mounted this?

DEFINITELY do not buy this from a 3rd party. too many issues too many risks. get it from dell or amazon that way you know you can have it replaced.

Would this be considered normal for Dell U2713HM Rev A01?

Thanks

yes thats normal.. i went through about 12-15 replacements before i found one acceptable and it still had a small green glow. i actually think with time its going away a bit. also i dont keep my monitor at the default 75 brightness i like it around 45.. that also helps.

The earlier pictures were in a bright room.These were in a dark room, when windows was doing a Bios update.I work a lot with a black background and the white glow can be distracting.

What causes this white patch?Is there anything I can ask the onsite technician to try?Replacing these monitors is really cumbersome.

What do you think about this:

night03.jpg

night02.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
@kroeger111

I've gone through 5 of these monitors in the past 2 weeks and all have had yellow light bleed in the lower left corner and cross hatching.

At this point, my advice is you need to decide for yourself what you are willing to live with (considering you're paying ~$600). This also depends on your intended uses of the monitor. I use it for games, movies, and occasional design work. As such, I find the light bleed unacceptable (I can live with the cross hatching) and since its part of the QC protocol of Dell (i.e. its not a "problem" in their eyes) I'm giving up on this model.

I've ordered a Viewsonic VP2770 which should arrive today.

@kroeger111

I've gone through 5 of these monitors in the past 2 weeks and all have had yellow light bleed in the lower left corner and cross hatching.

At this point, my advice is you need to decide for yourself what you are willing to live with (considering you're paying ~$600). This also depends on your intended uses of the monitor. I use it for games, movies, and occasional design work. As such, I find the light bleed unacceptable (I can live with the cross hatching) and since its part of the QC protocol of Dell (i.e. its not a "problem" in their eyes) I'm giving up on this model.

I've ordered a Viewsonic VP2770 which should arrive today.

I've had two Dells with exactly this problem and both have gone back. Total lack of quality control from Dell and it is not good enough. I have a refund coming soon and i'm considering the Viewsonic myself also. Would be good to hear how you get on with yours.

Would this be considered normal for Dell U2713HM Rev A01?s

Mine looks like that too. Before buying the Dell, I went through numerous 2012 27-inch iMacs that had the same problem. I think LG's screens suck when it comes to backlighting. This isn't Dell's fault. I kept mine because Dell gave me a nice post-purchase discount when I complained about it, and I knew that I could swap it out at any time and try my luck again.

I've had two Dells with exactly this problem and both have gone back. Total lack of quality control from Dell and it is not good enough. I have a refund coming soon and i'm considering the Viewsonic myself also. Would be good to hear how you get on with yours.

I just got the Viewsonic today. Overall, I like it more. There is no cross hatching or buzzing noise. There is some light bleed but its much much less than any of the U2713HMs I tried. The uniformity on the Viewsonic I got it is bad though -- but I read that most people have great uniformity so I'm going to get a replacement.

I just got the Viewsonic today. Overall, I like it more. There is no cross hatching or buzzing noise. There is some light bleed but its much much less than any of the U2713HMs I tried. The uniformity on the Viewsonic I got it is bad though -- but I read that most people have great uniformity so I'm going to get a replacement.

So still far from perfect then :( shocking that these monitors cost so much money yet are so poorly built. Fingers crossed your replacement has better uniformity.

I definitely find the yellow blob distracting, although no buzzing sounds on mine.I am working towards a third replacement right now.If it doesn't work out am gonna ask for my money back or atleast a post purchase discount like Lava Lamp Freak.

Mine looks like that too. Before buying the Dell, I went through numerous 2012 27-inch iMacs that had the same problem. I think LG's screens suck when it comes to backlighting. This isn't Dell's fault. I kept mine because Dell gave me a nice post-purchase discount when I complained about it, and I knew that I could swap it out at any time and try my luck again.

Any tips for me on how to get me some post purchase discount,Lava ?

I believe the buzzing noise that occurred when you viewed a screen with a lot of text was fixed in the Rev A02. just fyi.

I order through Amazon so no discounts :p

I definitely find the yellow blob distracting, although no buzzing sounds on mine.I am working towards a third replacement right now.If it doesn't work out am gonna ask for my money back or atleast a post purchase discount like Lava Lamp Freak.

Any tips for me on how to get me some post purchase discount,Lava ?

I submitted a return request for a refund through the website and listed all of the problems I had with the first display. I got an email from the "Resolutions Team" offering a $70 discount if I'd keep the display. I accepted their offer and then submitted a new request to exchange the display instead of returning it for a refund.

I'm still not happy with the backlighting and crosshatching, but I don't notice the crosshatching as much as I notice the horrible backlighting and yellow blob. I feel so beat down by all of the issues I've had with displays, both Dell and Apple, that I'm just sticking with this one for now. I keep hoping that something will change with a new revision and then I'll request to exchange it again.

I did try with Wikipedia and other text websites but no buzz, neither in A00 nor A01

Mine buzzes if I have something full screen with a lot of text on it, like Wikipedia, but I don't do that.

I submitted a return request for a refund through the website and listed all of the problems I had with the first display. I got an email from the "Resolutions Team" offering a $70 discount if I'd keep the display. I accepted their offer and then submitted a new request to exchange the display instead of returning it for a refund.

I'm still not happy with the backlighting and crosshatching, but I don't notice the crosshatching as much as I notice the horrible backlighting and yellow blob. I feel so beat down by all of the issues I've had with displays, both Dell and Apple, that I'm just sticking with this one for now. I keep hoping that something will change with a new revision and then I'll request to exchange it again.

Mine buzzes if I have something full screen with a lot of text on it, like Wikipedia, but I don't do that.

the yellow blob looks to be going away on mine. hard to tell though. you can always keep it and put in for an exchange in a year or so when a good revision comes out. im keeping mine.. despite the yellow blob its one of the best monitors ive ever used. no crosshatching or noticeable buzz for me.

So good to see there is a forum full of U2713HM experts! I have a U2913WM which is wonderful for movies and seems to me to be a BIG improvement over the U2711. I don't know if it has to do with the light anti-glare coating of the 2913 vs the 2711 or other things but the U2912 colors look quite more vibrant and richer. The U2711 colors look like washed out and pale in comparison.
However I miss the extra space of the U2711 for some games and would like to get the U2713HM based on the many good reviews I've read. As Im impressed over the great colors of the U2913, does the U2713HM have similar/same color reproduction? When comparing the U2713HM over the U2711 will I also notice that BIG favorable change in colors reproduction that I found in the U2913 when comparing with the U2711.
Which monitor would be closer to the the U2711, the U2713HM or the U2713H?

Thank you!!

After trying two Dells and sending them both back for dead pixels and backlight bleed, I gave up and went for a Viewsonic VP2770-LED. And guess what, this has backlight bleed issues too :( I really can't be bothered to keep sending back monitors in the vague hope of getting one without any defects. Looks like I'll just keep the Viewsonic. Very disappointing though, considering the monitor it replaces had none of the issues that plague current models. And they say technology is improving :mad:

After trying two Dells and sending them both back for dead pixels and backlight bleed, I gave up and went for a Viewsonic VP2770-LED. And guess what, this has backlight bleed issues too :( I really can't be bothered to keep sending back monitors in the vague hope of getting one without any defects. Looks like I'll just keep the Viewsonic. Very disappointing though, considering the monitor it replaces had none of the issues that plague current models. And they say technology is improving :mad:

The main reasons I got the 2713 over the 2711 was lower power usage and a better/lighter anti-glare coating.
I almost feel like I should have said screw it and got a Dell or HP 30" monitor... but then again this is a stop gap for when a decent 37-42" 4k display is available for a decent price so I'm not going to be super picky about it.

That said the best monitor that I've had on my desk was the Samsung S27b970:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_s27b970d.htm

Last edited:
Other than the backlight bleeding, I do like the Viewsonic more than the u2713hm. I prefer the design, the build quality is better and the colours are more vibrant. Also, the Dell had a bluish tint which is not present on the Viewsonic. If it wasn't for the bleed then this would be a fantastic monitor.

fwiw, my lower left-hand corner 'yellow tint' has gotten significantly better over time. i wish i took some screenshots when i got the thing to compare to now.

Hello guys :)

just got my superb U2713HM from Amazon.de (as a French) and it's pretty amazing !!

I'm already the owner of the U2412HM which now stands next to the 27" !

the thing is I got a red pixel at the left-bottom :( it's a shame !!

I just did the "owner transfert" on Dell Website, to get the warranty, is that right ?

then Dell will send me another model ?

thanks.

PS : it's rev A00 manufactured in Dec.2012, and the backlight seems pretty good to me !!

PS 2 : this is awsome, for movies, games, word, developpement ...

it's me again, just got my replacement monitor from UPS !

this is a Rev A01 from Avr 13, but probably a refurb, there is a little scratch in one edge of the monitor (on the plastic not the panel)
there is no more buzzing sound on this one.
the backlight is bad, I can see remarkably 2 LEDs glow at the bottom of the screen ...
moreover, the panel it self isn't right, like it balance on the right ...
the high-left pixel is higher than the high-right corner's one.

I'll go for another replacement ...

hi, anyone know the number for customer support directly to get a replacement? i've swapped monitors twice now and am out of the 30 day return window. any way to ask for a replacement instead of the indian tech asking me to unplug and replug my monitor and then checking every single cable. thanks. my monitor is rev 01 with massive crosshatching that's been pissing me off april build

All right so here's my trip report on a revision A01 April 2013 from Dell's website

Overall it's solid, although there's some minor yellow bleeding in left corners that is visible at times when viewing dark content.

I took a picture on my potato to show you guys: http://i.imgur.com/i8YUdE1.jpg

fwiw, my lower left-hand corner 'yellow tint' has gotten significantly better over time. i wish i took some screenshots when i got the thing to compare to now.

This actually happened with my u2311h, to the point where it's now gone. Maybe the bezel loosens a bit over time?

Has anyone ordered this monitor recently and received a A02 revision? They should be in the wild any day now..

Has anyone ordered this monitor recently and received a A02 revision? They should be in the wild any day now..

I received a couple of A02s from Amazon while I was going through replacements. The only difference I saw between A01 and A02 was that the buzzing noise when viewing full screen of text was gone. Cross hatching and backlight bleed were still there though to the same extent.

I received a couple of A02s from Amazon while I was going through replacements. The only difference I saw between A01 and A02 was that the buzzing noise when viewing full screen of text was gone. Cross hatching and backlight bleed were still there though to the same extent.

You sure you're not talking about A00 to A01 ? A02 is a different panel.

You sure you're not talking about A00 to A01 ? A02 is a different panel.

I'm not too sure. I remember having A01 and something different but it wasn't A00, so I'm pretty sure it was A02. It was manufactured in May 2013. It still had too much light bleed for me.

Back