Dell U2713HM

After trying 10 different WQHD monitors last year and returning all of them, recently got this one coz for $500 shipped this seemed worth a shot (recent slickdeal), the first one was good but had two dead pixels, second one is better , no light bleed on either, uniformity is quite good for WQHD screens (after the three horrible PB278Qs I tried this is light years ahead), a bit better than U2713H w/o uni. comp and a little worse than the S27970D with the right side being a tad darker/warmer than left though not by a whole lot.

May just end up keeping this as the only WQHD screen I have not yet tried is the LG 27EA83 and given its the same panel as the U2713H (non-M) that's likely no better.

Cross-hatching is present if you move quite close to the screen and squint to look for it but on my Rev 01 Mar 13 build, it's mostly a non-issue at regular viewing distances.

The two March 2013 Rev A01's I have looked at have actual scratches/scuffs on the panel. They are small enough so they are not noticeable under normal use. However, if you take a flashlight to the screen, when the display is off or black, they are easy to spot. They are in the right most third of the screen and in the middle third of that space. Not sure what is going on with that, I sent Dell pictures and am waiting to see what they have to say. Can anyone else with a Rev A01 verify this? I am trying to determine if it is just my luck or more wide spread than that.

The two March 2013 Rev A01's I have looked at have actual scratches/scuffs on the panel. They are small enough so they are not noticeable under normal use. However, if you take a flashlight to the screen, when the display is off or black, they are easy to spot. They are in the right most third of the screen and in the middle third of that space. Not sure what is going on with that, I sent Dell pictures and am waiting to see what they have to say. Can anyone else with a Rev A01 verify this? I am trying to determine if it is just my luck or more wide spread than that.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow, I'll be sure to check for this and let you know what I see.

I'm with Snowdog on this one. The whole AG coating thing is so over blown by some people. Yes it might affect and bother some people but they then act like its the worst thing to ever happen.

I remember when instead it was fuss about slow response times and ghosting, input lag, colour banding, colour tinting, A-TW polarisers, lack of 1:1 pixel mapping.... There always seems to be a "flavour of the month" with monitors and something that people seem to negatively focus on. At the moment it's AG coating

It sucks for those of us who are waiting for the right monitor without an AG coating though. Since most of them always have it, and we hate it, it's a real pITA. Not only that, but now the trend is 16:9 aspect ratio. So basically they are just getting worse and worse feature wise - and always have sucked performance wise anyways. I been watching this stuff evolve for like 7 years now. Been lurking these forums that long too,.. longer. Nothings really changed for the better.

At least for now i can rub my cock every time i turn on my fw900.

Every display tech has its good and bad points I'm afraid. CRT had loads of issues I wouldn't want to go back to. Appalling geometry, and fuzzy text were particularly annoying not to mention the sheer size and weight of the things.

I'll be perfectly happy with my u2713hm once I finally get a decent one.

Last edited:

Mine should be arriving tomorrow, I'll be sure to check for this and let you know what I see.

Yeah I just opened mine up and it doesn't have a thing on the screen that I couldn't blow off...like cardboard residue. I hope you didn't get someone else's return.

Every display tech has its good and bad points I'm afraid. CRT had loads of issues I wouldn't want to go back to. Appalling geometry, and fuzzy text were particularly annoying not to mention the sheer size and weight of the things.

I'll be perfectly happy with my u2713hm once I finally get a decent one.

Yeah, CRTs were literally the worst. Shipping issues were common since they were so heavy, I remember going through so many that had bad geometry. Also a lot of them became fuzzy after warming up, and the heat output was insane. I loved trinitrons back in the day, but I definitely wouldn't want to go back to CRTs. Jeez. Some can live with IPS glow (me being one of them) but geometry issues were so ridiculous. Instant return to best buy for me back in the day - thank goodness the days of dealing with bad geometry are gone. That was a major annoyance when CRTs were prevalent.

Last edited:
Yeah, CRTs were literally the worst. Shipping issues were common since they were so heavy, I remember going through so many that had bad geometry. Also a lot of them became fuzzy after warming up, and the heat output was insane. I loved trinitrons back in the day, but I definitely wouldn't want to go back to CRTs. Jeez. Some can live with IPS glow (me being one of them) but geometry issues were so ridiculous. Instant return to best buy for me back in the day - thank goodness the days of dealing with bad geometry are gone. That was a major annoyance when CRTs were prevalent.

On really old 15" ones before semi flat and flat screen crt's.. yeah, lol. My first nice 19" Viewsonic all the way back in 98 wasn't even as bad as you are describing. This Sony flat, while not absolutely perfect geometrically, it's pretty close, certainly close enough. And you have options to change and tweak that stuff, let alone a dozen resolutions and refresh rates to play games and watch media on. Certainly not an issue at all. Everything is clear and crisp, there really is no downside to it to speak of besides weight, but yeah i never have to move it so....other than that it's better in every way.

Ok, just set up my replacement u2713hm (it's a Jan 13 rev00) and it is much better than the last one. No dead pixels this time and much less light bleed.

However, there is still a noticeable small patch at the bottom edge slightly to the left of the middle.

Now need to decide whether to swap for another one, get a refund and go for the Asus or just keep what I have.

The most frustrating thing is that my old 2407WFP had zero light bleed and other than the power button issue was perfect. So in the space of 5 years since I bought it, monitors have actually got worse in this respect :confused:

Ok, just set up my replacement u2713hm (it's a Jan 13 rev00) and it is much better than the last one. No dead pixels this time and much less light bleed.

However, there is still a noticeable small patch at the bottom edge slightly to the left of the middle.

Now need to decide whether to swap for another one, get a refund and go for the Asus or just keep what I have.

The most frustrating thing is that my old 2407WFP had zero light bleed and other than the power button issue was perfect. So in the space of 5 years since I bought it, monitors have actually got worse in this respect :confused:

I think you should go for a refund if the yellow backlight patch bothers you. All the pictures I've seen of this monitor in the dark has the same pattern of yellow bleeding on the left and a whiter bleed on the right. It must be due to how Dell manufactures the monitor and similar to the cross hatching. Both my first and 2nd A01 monitors have the same backlight pattern.

I'm still deciding whether to keep it or not. The Asus is more expensive and has a PWM backlight and isn't factory calibrated. The Viewsonic doesn't have PWM and it's calibrated but it's much more expensive. There's always the Korean lottery option too ;)

Well, after deciding the default backlight setting of 75 was too high and turning it down to a much more reasonable 45, the bleed is much less apparent.

There's no real obvious sign of the yellow bleeding on this monitor and there are no dead pixels. Reckon I'll just keep this one.

I finally pulled the trigger on one of these after getting it for $585 off Dell's website the other day. Ill keep everyone updated how mine is.

Hi guys. This might be a silly question, but why do some IPS screens have a yellow glow like this? The U2713HM has a white LED backlight. So where is the yellow coming from, and why is it only from the bottom left? Confused! I have a new U2412HM which is slightly yellow in the bottom left, but it's pretty subtle. You can only really see it when looking at a white background, eg the Google home page.

Richie

It is a glow caused by the lack of an AT-W polariser. Monitors used to come with them, but professional users didn't like them so it was stopped. (they caused other things)

Hi guys. This might be a silly question, but why do some IPS screens have a yellow glow like this? The U2713HM has a white LED backlight. So where is the yellow coming from, and why is it only from the bottom left? Confused! I have a new U2412HM which is slightly yellow in the bottom left, but it's pretty subtle. You can only really see it when looking at a white background, eg the Google home page.

Richie

That yellow glow Richie is unnoticable when using this monitor. The colors and the sharpness are really good.

Yeah I just opened mine up and it doesn't have a thing on the screen that I couldn't blow off...like cardboard residue. I hope you didn't get someone else's return.

Thanks for checking. No, they were both brand new. I just got off of the phone with my case manager from Dell and he said that I was not the only one who has reported this. The scratches/scuffs are not easy to spot, you have to go looking for them to some extent. They are now in the process of shipping me another one. I do have to say that Dell's support has been beyond good so far related to this.

Have to agree on Dell support being excellent, if only they would do due diligence in designing and QCing their products like implementing working Uniformity Compensators on all UltraSharps esp the U2713H, U3014 and including it in the U2713HM as well instead of only having a full UC on the U2913WM, which is a weird monitor and not practical with its 21:9 aspect ratio.

So far so good. I received a March Rev01 with minimal backlight bleed( very hard notice until you are in a dark room and on a full black screen, even then its still hard to notice) and everything else seems to be ok. I do notice the slight cross hatching but its really so minimal. No display is perfect unless you want to spend 1k and this monitor is just outright beautiful

Well, I'm still not happy with the backlight on this monitor. Called dell for another replacement and they refused to send one and offered me a full refund instead. So I've now got a decision to either stick with my old 2407wfp or go for a different model 27 inch.

Choices are: Asus, viewsonic or push the boat out for the Samsung 970d.

Opinions?

Well, I'm still not happy with the backlight on this monitor. Called dell for another replacement and they refused to send one and offered me a full refund instead. So I've now got a decision to either stick with my old 2407wfp or go for a different model 27 inch.

Choices are: Asus, viewsonic or push the boat out for the Samsung 970d.

Opinions?

The LG 27EA83-D is an excellent monitor currently about the same $850 price as the Dell U2713H at NewEgg and Dell direct respectively.

Those of us that have the LG have found them to be perfect, where it seems Dell is a bit of a lottery. It looks like LG checks for uniformity as part of their factory calibration. Dell will have a few more connections and longer warranty, but what else do you need besides Display Port, DVI, and HDMI? The 3.0 hub is nothing special. Although they seem to use the same panel, the LG seems to provide deeper blacks and better contrast in real world tests. The Dell may be brighter... but my LG is turned down to 50 and may still be too bright.

Just saying its an option.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/lg-27ea83-d-27-inch-colorprime-ips-led-wqhd-monitor-review.html

Last edited:
The LG is wide gamut, and the -R version is not available in US as of now. The sRGB mode is locked down and very limited on the -D version.

The Dell 2713H the poster was looking at is also wide gamut, So the LG27EA83-D is an alternative to that Dell. Wide gamut or not is a different story. It would be nice if the LG -R version was stateside.

I'm not sure where you get the locked down thing. The LG is a so called 10 bit monitor and does very well in its sRGB emulation mode in my tests. Dunno how the Dell works in sRGB mode, there are other so called 8 bit wide gamut monitors that do poorly in sRGM emulation mode..

On another note, even "locked down" the LG noticeably surpasses the sRGB Dell 2713HM in picture quality (clarity and color) and performance. Put them next to each other there is a big difference... whether the $200-$300 price premium is worth it is subjective.

Last edited:
Actually the -R just became available on newegg today for $749.99, may get one to test before the return window on my U2713HM expires.

Have to agree on Dell support being excellent, if only they would do due diligence in designing and QCing their products like implementing working Uniformity Compensators on all UltraSharps esp the U2713H, U3014 and including it in the U2713HM as well instead of only having a full UC on the U2913WM, which is a weird monitor and not practical with its 21:9 aspect ratio.

2nded. Dell support has been great for my 2412. One of the big reasons I'm likely to get a 2713HM soon.

Anyone test out the LG27EA83 R yet? THe LG27EA83 D Uses PWM, does the R use this also? I love my u2713hm but if that monitor doesn't have cross hatching maybe it would be a better choice? Its a bit more expensive though

In exactly the same boat as you, just tried out the R, despite an awesome calibration report showing 100% brightness uniformity and deltaE < 1.0 for the entire screen, usual lower right white glow and is present and the left is also a bit darker/warmer than the right. Going back to newegg.

May even send my U2713HM back as well all WQHD screens are piss poor quality and I've tried every single of them. The U2713HM is good but has a vertical brighter/cooler strip around 30-40% of the way from the left, noticeable on greys and text since it starts off smack at the screen center and this was the best out of the 4 U2713HMs I have tried.

Lets see, WQHD screens tried so far:

PB278Q : 3 , all major fail with light bleed and a very warmer left side.

S27B970D - 3, good screens except for poor blacks and dirt trapped in front of the glass

ZR2740W - 1, uniformity was so bad, you could not even pay me to keep it, dark stripe at bottom

U2713HM - 4, all non-uniform, two with yellow BLB and one with dead pixels, one of them is actually not too bad except for the one non uniform region am using it right now, have a couple of more days for return window to expire

U2713H - 2, first one was good but USB3 hub was broken , and had weird trailing artifacts when UC was applied, second one was tinted red or I should say painted red on right as it was that bad

27EA83D - 1,not too bad, but wide gamut with its associated issues, uniformity a bit spotty too with a warmer bottom especially on the right. Pronounced glow on all corners.

27EA83R - 1,expected this one to be my salvation but alas as I noted above that was not to be.

That's 15 monitors, not counting the 5 times I had to get my ZR2440W replaced before getting a decent copy.

One day, NEC will update their PA271 with LED backlight and a better contrast and I may finally have the screen I want, but right now it does not exist.

In exactly the same boat as you, just tried out the R, despite an awesome calibration report showing 100% brightness uniformity and deltaE < 1.0 for the entire screen, usual lower right white glow and is present and the left is also a bit darker/warmer than the right. Going back to newegg.

May even send my U2713HM back as well all WQHD screens are piss poor quality and I've tried every single of them. The U2713HM is good but has a vertical brighter/cooler strip around 30-40% of the way from the left, noticeable on greys and text since it starts off smack at the screen center and this was the best out of the 4 U2713HMs I have tried.

S27B970D - 3, good screens except for poor blacks and dirt trapped in front of the glass

ZR2740W - 1, uniformity was so bad, you could not even pay me to keep it, dark stripe at bottom

U2713HM - 4, all non-uniform, two with yellow BLB and one with dead pixels, one of them is actually not too bad except for the one non uniform region am using it right now, have a couple of more days for return window to expire

U2713H - 2, first one was good but USB3 hub was broken , and had weird trailing artifacts when UC was applied, second one was tinted red or I should say painted red on right as it was that bad

27EA83D - 1,not too bad, but wide gamut with its associated issues, uniformity a bit spotty too with a warmer bottom especially on the right. Pronounced glow on all corners.

27EA83R - 1,expected this one to be my salvation but alas as I noted above that was not to be.

That's 15 monitors, not counting the 5 times I had to get my ZR2440W replaced before getting a decent copy.

One day, NEC will update their PA271 with LED backlight and a better contrast and I may finally have the screen I want, but right now it does not exist.

Wow you have been through a lot of monitors. I thought the R would be better. Maybe ill just keep the 2713hm then. Only issue i have is the cross hatching in the lower portion of the screen which isnt terrible at all.

Did the Ea83 R use PWM?

Last edited:
I am not sensitive to it all that much but it the -D uses I'm sure the -R does as well, only difference between the two is the backlight GB-r vs W-LED

Just wow, is it really this hard to purchase a defect free monitor these days :confused:

That is truly shocking and all the monitor manufacturers should be deeply ashamed :eek:

And I thought it was just Dell having QC issues with the u2713hm! I really can't be bothered to keep trying out monitors in the hope of finding one that is acceptable. Just going to keep my old 2407wfp which has none of the issues afflicting the current range of monitors!

I thought LCD tech was supposed to be improving, not getting worse :confused: Shame, as I really want a 27 inch 1440p screen.

Any reason you haven't tried the Viewsonic though? This was one I was considering.

I am not sensitive to it all that much but it the -D uses I'm sure the -R does as well, only difference between the two is the backlight GB-r vs W-LED

hmm if it does then i am deff staying with my u2713hm. I think the 2713hm is the best out of all of them unless the R doesn't use PWM. Then i might lean towards that(would have to try it out of course).

Have a hard time deciding if I should keep the U2713HM, got it for around $480 after all is said and done but that's still a high price for a monitor I am not a completely happy with.

Have a hard time deciding if I should keep the U2713HM, got it for around $480 after all is said and done but that's still a high price for a monitor I am not a completely happy with.

Yeah. I got mine for $585 and it was a pretty good deal. I have about two weeks left to return it so im waiting on more info about the R(PWM).

You also have to look at the positive to the u2713hm. Amazing resolution, great looking monitor, very good color and light AG. For the bad Backlight bleed isn't the worse thing to have on a monitor and crosshatching isn't horrible. Its just like eh is there better? Thats why i question the LG R.

hi. this is my first post on this forum so hello to you all.
I purchased recently this 2713HM and discovered that is not as nice as I expected.
strange thing about it, when displaying some patterns on screen : the monitor switches to sort of vertical interlaced mode in which every, lets say, even vertical line is bleeded by magenta, and every uneven bleeden by color sort of yellow/green. this happens only in some cases. check images attached. A0 is okay, A1 triggers interlacing. look closely to monitor knowing that gray background of the image is plain gray ( zoom it to se for yourself ).

Can you please, U2713HM owners, please check it on your screens to see it your displays behave in a way I described? on my monitor it clearly happens on the display itself ( computer system has nothing to do with it checked on diffrent systems ). view images 1 and 2 fullscreen and switch between them looking closely on the gray area of screen. A0 should be normal, and A1, on mine cuses vertical lines to appear although there are no any lines in teh image, just plain gray color.

1. gray background
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/723/u2713hmhatcha0.png

2. gray background with patern in the middle.
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7848/u2713hmhatcha1verticali.png

its so stupid flaw of the monitor behavior and I realise it all sound maybe silly, but its true, would be happy to hear of this is mine only, but who knows, I would be grateful for you feedback, guys.

also a bonus - buzz test ;) image that causes mu monitor to buzz - and when you zoom it, it will cause to buzz with diffrent tones, lowering its frequency every zooming step you make ( at least on my monitor ).

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/5513/u2713hmhatcha2buzz.png

Last edited:
Hello guys :)

just got my superb U2713HM from Amazon.de (as a French) and it's pretty amazing !!

I'm already the owner of the U2412HM which now stands next to the 27" !

the thing is I got a red pixel at the left-bottom :( it's a shame !!

I just did the "owner transfert" on Dell Website, to get the warranty, is that right ?

then Dell will send me another model ?

thanks.

PS : it's rev A00 manufactured in Dec.2012, and the backlight seems pretty good to me !!

PS 2 : this is awsome, for movies, games, word, developpement ...

Last edited:
Can you please, U2713HM owners, please check it on your screens to see it your displays behave in a way I described? on my monitor it clearly happens on the display itself ( computer system has nothing to do with it checked on diffrent systems ). view images 1 and 2 fullscreen and switch between them looking closely on the gray area of screen. A0 should be normal, and A1, on mine cuses vertical lines to appear although there are no any lines in teh image, just plain gray color.

1. gray background
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/723/u2713hmhatcha0.png

2. gray background with patern in the middle.
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7848/u2713hmhatcha1verticali.png

its so stupid flaw of the monitor behavior and I realise it all sound maybe silly, but its true, would be happy to hear of this is mine only, but who knows, I would be grateful for you feedback, guys.

also a bonus - buzz test ;) image that causes mu monitor to buzz - and when you zoom it, it will cause to buzz with diffrent tones, lowering its frequency every zooming step you make ( at least on my monitor ).

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/5513/u2713hmhatcha2buzz.png

For your information, I do not see the vertical lines on the image with a pattern (REV A00, July 2012). Looking at the grey parts, I cannot tell any difference between those images full screen.

The buzz can be demonstrated with your test image (and the frequency indeed changes with zooming). In real life, I can hear the buzzing when viewing Wikipedia and in some other relatively rare circumstances.

has anyone had dust issues? i have a speck stuck in my panel.. it's been making it's way down my screen for weeks hah :eek:

Back