Dell U2711

Very helpful thread!

I'm considering a U2711 (when the price is right), and I'll be using it mainly for programming (visual studio), photography (photoshop), and office stuff.

How is text on the U2711?

Thanks,

Just got my U2711 Rev. A03 in, text is slightly smaller than what I had on the 3007 but sharper. 125% Zoom solves that issue which I also did on the 3007.
I'm in awe of the monitor. Don't miss the 30" as much and I wonder it will look like in Nvidia Surround next year when I get two more.

Ok just popping back to give some more comments (away from the initial, ZOMFG I have a new monitor! It's amazing.)

Now I know my opinion may not seem like much but I must stress, NOTHING HAS CHANGED! Everything I loved about this monitor at the start is great and I have not come across any problems WHAT-SO-EVER.

For the gentleman the specified the photoshop. I am a fairly heavy photoshop user, mostly UI specific imaging (I deal with a LOT of files basically so I needed several windows opened at once). Prior to the u2711 I had two 22" viewsonics which I thought did the job nicely. BUT now with 2711 it can all be done on the one screen. The added screen res from 1920x1080 is SIGNIFICANT which means I can have photoshop open to the size I'm used to and still have a lot of room to operate my other windows.

Love it

Of note, the U2711 is on sale at Dell.ca (canadian) for $799, a savings of $450.... great deal!

The U2711H also went on sale a few days ago for $799 in Canada. Although if you are serious about getting it, you can get it for even less ($760) at Bestdirect.ca or ShopRBC.com. ShopRBC has better reviews as an online merchant and will price match Bestdirect. Make sure you factor in shipping costs since Dell and Bestdirect offer free shipping. Good luck!

Im still on the fence with HP ZR24W vs the Dell. I read the HP doesn't do non computer hook ups well. Like ps3 or 360 but seems to have less complaints then the Dell. I might just wait till after the holidays and see if anything new pops up or any word on Dell getting there build quality in order.

I am torn between getting this monitor and the U3011. I will mostly use this for gaming and watching video's as well some some coding. Right now I am mostly just playing WoW and SC2 but I imagine I will be playing some FPS games in the future as well as Strategy games. Have any of you out there used both of these? What do you think is better for these uses?

I am torn between getting this monitor and the U3011. I will mostly use this for gaming and watching video's as well some some coding. Right now I am mostly just playing WoW and SC2 but I imagine I will be playing some FPS games in the future as well as Strategy games. Have any of you out there used both of these? What do you think is better for these uses?

i would get the u2711. no need to spend 400 more dollars on something with less pixel density, and probably slower response time. monitor is already pretty damn big too

hey guys so im having a problem with my wallpaper on dual monitors:

i choose a 2560x1440 resolution wallpaper and put it as my wallpaper, but it takes up the whole monitor of my 2007wfp (1680x1050), but only takes up the middle 75% or so of my u2711. this is when i make my smaller monitor the primary in windows 7 display settings.

when i make the u2711 the primary monitor, the wallpaper is max size for both, but i dont want my bigger monitor as my primary. any idea?

i would get the u2711. no need to spend 400 more dollars on something with less pixel density, and probably slower response time. monitor is already pretty damn big too

Not everybody puts such a premium on pixel density and response time. The 30" is significantly larger in physical dimensions (see this comparison), and the slightly larger pixel size means you're more likely to be able to keep fonts at default size and still be able to read, resulting in more text displayed on screen at any given time. $400 isn't chump change, but these are factors to consider instead of being brushed aside.

Coding and strategy games? I'd go with the U3011...the extra vertical height will be useful and appreciated.

The U2711 is a great monitor but I really prefer 16:10.

and the slightly larger pixel size means you're more likely to be able to keep fonts at default size and still be able to read, resulting in more text displayed on screen at any given time. $400 isn't chump change, but these are factors to consider instead of being brushed aside.

I find even the 30inch have fairly high pixel density and it is getting to be more of a chore to read. Windows DPI adjustment is also far from a perfect solution. So I would definitely go with a the 30inch.

Just got my 2711H. What a piece of shit, massive dark area on the bottom of the screen (right above the dell logo.) Dark, as in - I can see a picture, and the darkness is in a crescant shape. Changing angles can make it better or worse. Color correctness looks way off as well.

Going to fight for a full refund, fuck you dell. Never buying from them again.

Last edited:
So because you got a defective monitor, you are writing off Dell forever? Even though there are thousands of satisfied people with Dell monitors?

HP is a decent alternative but it's not like all of their monitors are perfect either...

So because you got a defective monitor, you are writing off Dell forever? Even though there are thousands of satisfied people with Dell monitors?

HP is a decent alternative but it's not like all of their monitors are perfect either...

I agree. I also see other people post videos of the defective Dell monitors on YouTube.
They do have sketchy customer service. I use Customer Service Chat with companies that are tough to deal with, less run around.

Would someone be kind to take one measurement for me? As odd as it sounds, I need to know what is the distance between the front of the bezel and the actual panel surface on the U2711. One review says 5mm but that doesn't sound right to me. Thanks in advance.

Would someone be kind to take one measurement for me? As odd as it sounds, I need to know what is the distance between the front of the bezel and the actual panel surface on the U2711. One review says 5mm but that doesn't sound right to me. Thanks in advance.

5mm sounds pretty close to right.

Sorry if this has already been said but Euro Dell are offering this monitor at a 25% discount until 21st December. Brings it down to £632.44 including delivery and VAT

Very Tempted to hit the buy button ;)

EDIT

I pressed the button :)

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn...d=122756&acd=69d57241a0718ffcf8e3e7e4b84ca515

Add this code for a further 10% discount: JX?P2T$H0PB23C Ends at the end of play today 26/11/2010 so get in fast

I just bagged one for £570.84 just £110 more than the U2410. Happy Days :)

Caution, if you buy as a small business you lose your rights as a consumer since you are purchasing "as a business" so the main thing is that DSR is lost. However, it still has the 3 year warranty with next working day swap if you should get a faulty one (or develop a fault later on).

Last edited:
Folks in the u3011 thread have been discussing how if the monitor wakes up from sleep and then is switched to the "custom color" mode then the color goes all wonky- I've been through 2 of them and they both did this.
Have any of you noticed this on u2711?
Thanks.

I’m moving from two 2707s to an u3011 and u2711. I was able to have both 2707s and my TV running from the one ATI 5907 video card with its 2 DVI ports and one DisplayPort. I used this DisplayPort to DVI adapter for one of the 2707s and the second of the DVI ports for the ATI DVI to HDMI adapter so I can get HD sound to the TV. It worked fine as I was not trying to run all three at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HU7O2S/ref=oss_product

Anyway, the u2711 on the DisplayPort to DVI adapter can’t go any higher than 1920x1080 and then only if it is on DVI-D2 it will not work at all on DVI-D1. ??? The 2707 worked with it at 1920x1200 and I’d think I’d be able to get that. Maybe windows can’t send a 16:10 resolution to a 16:9 display even if both the horizontal and vertical resolution are lower that the displays native resolution.

I guess I need the second of these. I did not know Displayport had a Dual-mode. I think I have the first one but can't tell from the Amazon ad.

http://www.ce-link.com/show.asp?id=1651
http://www.ce-link.com/show.asp?id=1851

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

yea that sounds about right

i dont have a ruler with me, but it definitely looks like half a centimeter

My little ruler tells me 7.5 to 8mm. The first mark is 1 or 2 mm from the edge of the ruler. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

P.S. Love the new u3011 X u2711 setup.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I want to pick up this LCD but could you tell me how well it handles lower resolutions? I'm a little worried about having the horsepower to run at 2560 x 1440 so I would maybe cut back to 1080p stuff. Besides the lose in quality from the lower resolution what if any other reduction in quality would there be?

I just got my U2711 (rev.A02) a few days ago. I got it for under €700 which is quite nice here in the Europe side of things where we always pay through our noses for technology... I got the display to replace my nearly 5 year old 3007WFP which is showing its age by now. The U2711 is absolutely lovely. I was a little worried I might miss the size of the 30" and the slightly larger resolution, both of which I had gotten so used to, but surprisingly I'm not missing either of them at all. It's still plenty big and the missing 160 pixel row is not a biggie for me. I like the 16:9 aspect ratio personally.

The AG coating is another story. It IS rather aggressive. When I run the back of my hand against both 3007WFP and U2700, the former feels smoother whereas the latter feels a bit more "grainy". The general look of the image is very familiar although the sparkly/dusty effect on brighter colors does seem to be a bit more visible on the U2711. However I'm already quite used to it, so it's not a big deal. That said I'd love to see this monitor with the AG coating off though. I'm a little tempted to do the mod that was posted earlier in this thread but it seems pretty drastic. If anyone has removed the coating, can you tell me if the display looks exactly like Apple's glossy displays like their 27" LED Cinema display?

In any case, this is a fantastic display and a bargain compared to U3011 IMO.

Bought this monitor yesterday :)

Now i have a problem....

U2711 + HD3200

DVI Cable from Dell (supposed to be Dual Link).

When I set 2560x1440 the OSD Menu shows 1280x1440 and all is very blurry. I cant see anything.

Any ideas?

Hey guys, I want to pick up this LCD but could you tell me how well it handles lower resolutions? I'm a little worried about having the horsepower to run at 2560 x 1440 so I would maybe cut back to 1080p stuff. Besides the lose in quality from the lower resolution what if any other reduction in quality would there be?

I actually have the same question. I'd like a monitor that can do high resolution for games but I also need a monitor I could do work on. I know that 2560x1440 is too high for that so if I get one of these, I'll have to run it at probably 1920x1080 or maybe 1920x1200 and I'm a little worried that it may be straining on my eyes if the text isn't quite so clear.

I know it's a different monitor, but I had the opportunity to check out the new 27" Apple monitor and its picture at lower resolutions seemed acceptable to me. The text is a bit more blurry but I think I can live with that.

I actually have the same question. I'd like a monitor that can do high resolution for games but I also need a monitor I could do work on. I know that 2560x1440 is too high for that so if I get one of these, I'll have to run it at probably 1920x1080 or maybe 1920x1200 and I'm a little worried that it may be straining on my eyes if the text isn't quite so clear.

I know it's a different monitor, but I had the opportunity to check out the new 27" Apple monitor and its picture at lower resolutions seemed acceptable to me. The text is a bit more blurry but I think I can live with that.

There is absolutely no point in buying any of those monitors if you are going to run them at lower than native resolution. Pick a monitor that has 1920x1080-1200 resolution for about 1/3-1/2 the price and it will look much better. Even a 32" 1080p TV would be a better choice. LCDs are not meant to be run at non-native resolution.

There is absolutely no point in buying any of those monitors if you are going to run them at lower than native resolution.

I want the higher resolution for playing video games. It's the non-games where I'd have to run it in a non-native resolution.

I want the higher resolution for playing video games. It's the non-games where I'd have to run it in a non-native resolution.

That is about backwards to the way I would want it. I could tolerate non-native in games, but not as a working resolution. Not to mention you can use a less powerful card or get better frame rate if you just went with a lower resolution monitor.

just run it native and use windows settings to change the font dpi size.

Still kind of a mess even in windows 7.

The higher res is cool and all but if you get a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 monitor:

It will be cheaper.

It will most likely be faster with less input lag. If you even notice that sort of thing.

HD Movies will look better.

Fonts will look better. Yes, playing with the windows dpi is still a nightmare. Most programs and programmers do not take it into account and stuff can look messed up.

Games will not look much different but your frame rate sure will be. You’ll still see rough edges at the higher res and AA will just take an even bigger bite of your frame rate if you try to use it.

Trust me, 1920x1200 is the sweet spot for everything right now. Why torture yourself? If you don’t need the higher res for some vocation, then don’t do it. In six months you be glad you did when you are putting that extra cash towards a new video card or CPU.

That is about backwards to the way I would want it. I could tolerate non-native in games, but not as a working resolution.

Exactly. I've played games like Metro 2033 at 1920x1200 on my 30" monitors and they look fine IMO. But when working or surfing the internet, you better believe I'm using the full 2560x1600 because that extra resolution is really handy and sooo nice to have.

The higher res is cool and all but if you get a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 monitor:

It will be cheaper.

It will most likely be faster with less input lag. If you even notice that sort of thing.

HD Movies will look better.

Fonts will look better. Yes, playing with the windows dpi is still a nightmare. Most programs and programmers do not take it into account and stuff can look messed up.

Games will not look much different but your frame rate sure will be. You’ll still see rough edges at the higher res and AA will just take an even bigger bite of your frame rate if you try to use it.

Trust me, 1920x1200 is the sweet spot for everything right now. Why torture yourself? If you don’t need the higher res for some vocation, then don’t do it. In six months you be glad you did when you are putting that extra cash towards a new video card or CPU.

This is an interesting post, and you make some very good points, but I think that you're also downplaying what this monitor is capable of.

Games won't look much different - really?

If I were to buy this I'd be moving from a 24 inch tn panel, at 1080p, to this - and I suspect that the improvement would be massive.

Granted, I've also reached the conclusion that for many of the titles I own, my single GTX 480 would not be enough. But many titles, such as Bioshock 2, or Resident Evil 5 - titles I'm presently getting 100 plus frames on, maxed out- will run just fine.

And, again, I believe that, visually, it would be a massive improvement.

That said, I ain't bought it yet, and I ain't seen it yet.

Also, maybe this goes without saying, but great thread, guys - really helpful information in here.

This is an interesting post, and you make some very good points, but I think that you're also downplaying what this monitor is capable of.

Games won't look much different - really? ...

Yes, really. Like so really I can’t help but lie about it! No but really, what is that you are expecting? Long gone are the days of getting a larger field of view. Like when everyone was playing some RTS at 1024x768 and you had a fancy 1600x1200 display, a fast enough PC to run it and would see more of the playing field at once.

Most everything is scaled now and while you do get some finer detail it’s past the point of diminishing returns. In first person shooters you get a little better detail on a guy in the distance (maybe) and can get your crosshair on him a little better (maybe) but again that was a real benefit when moving from 800x600 or 1024x768 to 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 but from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440, not so much.

Texture maps are not really going to add anything at higher resolution either.

Anyway…

Not downplaying the monitor at all. I love the extra desktop space for work with Excel databases and VMware sessions and WebPages and so on but at its current price it’s just silly for games and movies.

I just went from two 2707s at 1920x1200 to a U3011 at 2560x1600 and a U2711 2560x1440 and I was thinking games would look better too but I can barely tell the difference other than my frame rates dropped (keep an eye in the minimum not the just the max or average) and the reds are more neon like.

Do as you like; you are the one that knows what’s best for you.

24" & 20"

27" & 27"

30" & 27"

Last edited:
Back