Dell U2711

I think Dell charges too much for what is being offered but then again, I could say the same for a lot of models on the market.
With CRT's it was as if you got 6/10th of what you paid for but when you go for a flat screen, it is as if you only get 3/10th...

I think Dell charges too much for what is being offered but then again, I could say the same for a lot of models on the market.
With CRT's it was as if you got 6/10th of what you paid for but when you go for a flat screen, it is as if you only get 3/10th...

I'm not sure why you would say that about this monitor? The U2711 has pretty much the 2nd highest resolution you can get at the moment with 2560x1440 and an IPS panel. It's not quite as nice as 2560x1600 on the U3011 sure.. but then that's quite a chunk more expensive too.

Are you comparing it with 27" TN 1920x1080 displays and being surprised by the price, or something?

how is the warranty situation?

should i contact them if i get this problem every couple days, for like a minute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I534ehq0BU4

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure the cable isn't messed up? I would've RMA'd that the second I saw it happen. Definitely a defect as long as you make sure your stuff (+cable) are good. Warranty situation with Dell is generally very good for their panels, just explain the issue and they should ship you a replacement one with return label.

I'm not sure why you would say that about this monitor? The U2711 has pretty much the 2nd highest resolution you can get at the moment with 2560x1440 and an IPS panel. It's not quite as nice as 2560x1600 on the U3011 sure.. but then that's quite a chunk more expensive too.

Are you comparing it with 27" TN 1920x1080 displays and being surprised by the price, or something?
I'm going to guess that he's comparing it with TN monitors; it seems like a common misconception.

I allready read the opinion of 2 experienced gamers (and heard from another) they can see the screen lagging once in a while when playing games..
what is a high res for if the monitor itself lags...
and even then, too high of a res isn't easy on the eyes.
Don't tell me you think a monitor is worth 1000$ when it's only working for like 80% (talking about the bugs/shortcommings).
Afterall.. keeping in mind how long a screen lives (average duration for people that use their monitor to the max), I dont know if I want to spend so much money, especialy if you know a screen might be released within the next 4 years that might be a lot better... I would want to switch without it hurting my wallet..

see it this way, you could get a monitor that is 7/10th as good compared to that 27" Dell wich would only cost you around 350$ (instead of 1000$)
You would be able to switch to another every 3 years for example and still have given out less money.
When the performance is exellent, how can you realy say there's something better....
I bet most people only see the diffirence between very good and very bad, at this point most people don't realy care if there are monitors that might be "Extra" VERY good knowing that they cost a lot more, more then what it's worth...

Last edited:
You can't compare a 27" 1920x1080 TN to a 27" 2560x1440 IPS, that's just silly. When you consider the prices of 24" and 30" IPS panels, the U2711 is just fine. While some people, mostly gamers, don't really need anything better than a 1080p TN, you have to remember that not everyone only uses their PC for games and many find the superior panel tech and high resolution to be easily worth the extra money.

U2711 Gamer unworthy, noted (how good you might claim a panel like this might be, It's not worthy of my money if it can't perform unless ofcourse you call a nice looking but non moving picture performance...)

It's fine to say that you're a gamer, so the monitor isn't a very good value for your performance.

It's another thing entirely to just come out and say that it's overpriced, period. You have your own gauge of value and performance while I have mine. For me, no matter how cheap a TN panel is, I'd rather buy an IPS. They're just that bad looking to my eyes.

U2711 Gamer unworthy, noted (how good you might claim a panel like this might be, It's not worthy of my money if it can't perform unless ofcourse you call a nice looking but non moving picture performance...)

I'd say it's more like:

U2711- too good for gamers. :p

Enough of the trash talking of the U2711. You obviously have no interest in it, so why are you still here?

Also, where are you getting your specs for screen life? I still have one of my 2005fpw's that is six years old paired up with my U2711/U3011.

You obviously have no interest in it, so why are you still here?

Calm now mate, I'm not trying to pick a fight.
I'm just trying to figure out why they have to charge 4x as much as my former CRT wich had around the same resolution and 200Hz refresh rate.

I've seen screens myself but they don't look as good as my old CRT and this makes me wonder what they realy offer in that particular screen for that amount of money...

Cost goes up as panel sizes do. With a larger number of pixels, the greater the chances that there will be pixel failures when going through QC. Any failures that are thrown out end up as a cost that's passed on to the consumer. Compounding that cost is the fact that for any given piece of glass, they can only cut so many panels. A large panel means fewer products from the same piece, so higher cost.

The main benefit of an IPS panel compared to TN are generally high color accuracy and wide viewing angle. Main benefit of an IPS panel compared to a CRT given a professional quality CRT are form factor, weight, and power draw.

When you say you've seen screens, what panels are you speaking of? There are a very large number of them on the market and not all of them are equals.

What size is your CRT? Unless your CRT monitor is also a 27" then I don't see how you could compare prices, simply saying that your CRT can do the same resolution and refresh is not enough of a comparison. For that matter, I don't think a 27" or 30" CRT even exists.

Last edited:

The U2711 is fine for gaming for everyone but people really sensitive to input lag. It's not the best gaming LCD panel around indeed but that's not its primary use. For some people a 1080p TN panel might be "7/10th" as good as the Dell or even better. For some it's not 1/10th as good.

As far as I remember, high quality CRTs used to cost just as much and not one of them can match the Dell in terms of size and screen real estate. TN panels are junk for the most part in my view and when you compare the U2711 to other non-TN screens, I don't see how it is overpriced at all.

The U2711 is overpriced for those that want a gaming monitor that has low lag and adequate resolution. For them the color accuracy, resolution, screen size of the U2711 are all unnecessary.

I'm not one of them :)

Hello all, since this is an epic u2711 thread I thought i'd post here first and try to get some help.

I just got my u2711 maybe a week ago. Everything looked really good out of the box. A few days ago, I changed my background to a mostly white background, and I noticed most of my panel displays a weird yellowish white.

Example: If I have 2 MSN windows side by side (white), they look different. I made sure it's not the angle I view them from, by moving my head side to side. Some videos on youtube show the monitor having a tint on exactly half the monitor, but on mine it seems like it's a blotch with no distinct shape.

I only notice this problem when the monitor is displaying white. When I watch videos/play ps3, I cannot see a difference.

I also tried changing the brightness from 20-80, and played with the presets. No change.

Has this problem ever been reported?

just wanna share my experience..

bought dell u2711, perfect... no dead pixel, no tint issue.. bext experience.. :p
bought another u2410 as i thought it would be cool to read forum in portrait mode, turns out the text reading on u2410 is not as sharp as my u2711 :confused: and it makes my eyes very2 tired reading from u2410.. (using vga 1920 x 1200), i wonder if its because of the vga connection... didnt bother to try the hdmi as i also find reading the top of 2410 screen (in portrait mode) makes my neck goes up all the time.. (perhaps because of the near setup of the monitor position) :eek:

and of course :eek:, the u2410 has noticable pink tint issues on the right, green on the left, i actually tried 5 u2410 on the dell store before my purchase and all of them has slight pink tint issues, DELL must be sending all the refurbished, rejected models to my country.. argh..
(i choose the best and less pink tint monitor of course..)

anyway, unstatisfied with u2410 :mad:, i purchase another u2711 :p hoping there is no tint issues, tried few units again and finally bought another one. However after few days of use, i began to notice the new one actually has mild pink tint issues / vertical botch and yellow across the screen, but i managed to correct it by adjusting the Custom Color, brightness and contrast.. (found the issue while doing excel work and after decreasing brightness and contrast, did not notice in the store as the factory setting set it up to 50-50 and the store is very bright environment making everything looks white, like in those jewelery store)

so now each monitor using each custom color setting to achieve the less noticable tint issues.. :cool: and both using hdmi 1920 x 1080.. my laptop can't drive the native resolution however able to drive triple monitor, one laptop monitor and two u2711 monitor.. the text looks big and yummy and the hdmi resolution looks nice and sharp as well.. ;)

The U2711 is fine for gaming for everyone but people really sensitive to input lag. It's not the best gaming LCD panel around indeed but that's not its primary use. For some people a 1080p TN panel might be "7/10th" as good as the Dell or even better. For some it's not 1/10th as good.

As far as I remember, high quality CRTs used to cost just as much and not one of them can match the Dell in terms of size and screen real estate. TN panels are junk for the most part in my view and when you compare the U2711 to other non-TN screens, I don't see how it is overpriced at all.

If you only knew how much money it had cost to produce them...
When it comes to TV's and other screens, they usualy charge 200% profit from the consumer in in case of 1000$ that will indeed sound overpriced.
When it comes to larger numbers, they should ask a little less keeping into account that not everyone will be willing to pay for it and that's bad for sales.
(will they have earned more if they sell 700 screens of 700$ or 300 screens of 1000$...if you get what I mean)

Cost goes up as panel sizes do. With a larger number of pixels, the greater the chances that there will be pixel failures when going through QC. Any failures that are thrown out end up as a cost that's passed on to the consumer. Compounding that cost is the fact that for any given piece of glass, they can only cut so many panels. A large panel means fewer products from the same piece, so higher cost.

The main benefit of an IPS panel compared to TN are generally high color accuracy and wide viewing angle. Main benefit of an IPS panel compared to a CRT given a professional quality CRT are form factor, weight, and power draw.

When you say you've seen screens, what panels are you speaking of? There are a very large number of them on the market and not all of them are equals.

What size is your CRT? Unless your CRT monitor is also a 27" then I don't see how you could compare prices, simply saying that your CRT can do the same resolution and refresh is not enough of a comparison. For that matter, I don't think a 27" or 30" CRT even exists.

It was a 21" wich oddly could go to 200Hz when used on 1280x1024 (eventhough it didn't say it could on the box) and 100Hz on max resolution http://uk.shopping.com/Philips-Brilliance-201P10-21-in/info

Actualy my old screen was a little cheaper and outperformed the 27" Dell on display in this topic.

I hear people say that IPS is without doubt better but the same people say TN and IPS can't be compared so how can their own statements be true in this case when other people claim IPS is slow.

Last edited:
Actualy my old screen was a little cheaper and outperformed the 27" Dell on display in this topic.

I hear people say that IPS is without doubt better but the same people say TN and IPS can't be compared so how can their own statements be true in this case when other people claim IPS is slow.

You keep focusing on input lag and we're telling you for some folks that's not the primary criteria by which we judge a lcd. That's if you can even notice it, since I don't even notice the input lag difference.

That being said, have you seen the U2711 yourself? Or are you judging it based on reviews and other peoples' comments.

You keep focusing on input lag and we're telling you for some folks that's not the primary criteria by which we judge a lcd.

Exactly. I still have a CRT that blows away any TN LCD in terms of motion performance. So if we were to judge a display based solely on that, why bother with an LCD in the first place then? Largest CRT still had only a 22.5" viewable area, it cost an arm and a leg and still had geometry and convergence issues among other common CRT problems.

Even a 2560x1440 TN would be much more expensive to produce than a 1080p one for obvious reasons. I see nothing wrong with the price of the U2711. Look at how much a NEC with the same panel costs.

I have gamed on nothing but Ultrasharps for the past ~8 years (2005, 2407, 2711) and even in primarily FPS games I can't notice the lag. As soon as I switch to a TN panel I immediately notice the crap color.

As a design professional the 2711 is fantastic. I get 90% of the pixel real estate as the 30" with less footprint. When editing photos, video, or 3D I care about the crispness of what I'm looking at and the color, not the size of the pixels. In fact by comparison, the 2711 next to my old 2407 makes the 2407 look dated in comparison at 1920x1200. It's like going from the display on an Iphone 3G to an Iphone 4g. You don't know what you were missing till you get used to it.

It's also nice to jump into a game of starcraft after and not worry about what AA is set to since the edges are so tiny the lack of AA isn't even discernible.

Only issue I've had with mine is that occasionally the capacative buttons seem to get a mind of their own after moving the monitor around (I have it mounted to an Ergotron Arm). Not sure if the PC next to the monitor is setting it off or what.

yay, I just bought myself an U2711 from Amazon :D Only cost 900usd after all was said and done. A bit more than what a decent deal could take it down to.

My U2311h is already too small for my office and my hobbies :)

This strikes me as a good monitor for world of warcraft...as that game really benefits from alot of pixels to work with as well as a higher pixel density. I am going to hold off though and wait till the Samsung comes out so I can decide which one is better..

no, I see the deal, too. California, USA, here :p

EDIT: deal is over, now :(

Last edited:
Are you seeing this deal in the US? The link above goes to the Canada Dell site, I see normal price with no discounts in the US currently. And my efforts to get any price reduction via 5 or 6 of their chat reps in the past couple weeks has gotten me nowhere.

Was hoping it would see a big sale in their week of deals going on, but the U2410 was only $150 off when it went up.

450usd off for me.... applies to multiple monitors, too. Admittedly, I have bought other Dell monitors from Dell SMB, along with a few Dell laptops, too...

Out of curiosity, can you post the link you are using to see that price? I've tried both home and SMB, still see no discount currently, and minor discounts on the other monitors.

This deal is acting weird. This morning I saw it was down to 740 in the link I provided. Now it's back to 780.

So are you pulling the trigger? :)
I'm not.

There's no way I'm spending close to a grand and getting a second-rate monitor. If I'm gonna pay for a single 27", I might as well pay a little more and get the best you can get, a 30" (with higher resolution... I don't care about display size).

I'm not.

There's no way I'm spending close to a grand and getting a second-rate monitor. If I'm gonna pay for a single 27", I might as well pay a little more and get the best you can get, a 30" (with higher resolution... I don't care about display size).

lol, I have to go 27" so no-one might notice my "sidegrade" from a 24" 16:10...:p

Picking one of these up today, used (4 months old, A03 revision) for $650.

Anything I should specifically look for? He says it works fine with 0 dead pixels.

Also, I'm going to try and 'transfer' the warranty on Dell's site, I wonder if it will work...

Last edited:
Well, I got it and it is perfect! (the screen 'moves' a bit at the top if you press on it...weird, but seems fine otherwise)

I really love this monitor, and it makes my 2408 look, well..., bad. I can tell the PVA screen of the 2408 has more contrast, but the colors on the 2711 are great. I didn't calibrate it yet, but I downloaded an ICM from someone who did, and did a test print on my Canon Pro9000...very close match. Ah, it's just a great feeling.

Also, I like the AG coating :D

Well, I got it and it is perfect! (the screen 'moves' a bit at the top if you press on it...weird, but seems fine otherwise)

I really love this monitor, and it makes my 2408 look, well..., bad. I can tell the PVA screen of the 2408 has more contrast, but the colors on the 2711 are great. I didn't calibrate it yet, but I downloaded an ICM from someone who did, and did a test print on my Canon Pro9000...very close match. Ah, it's just a great feeling.

Also, I like the AG coating :D

You said you have the old 2408 monitor, was it the HP 2408? or which 2408 u're talking about?

Can anyone please measure U2711 monitor? I would like to know how many centimeters is the height and width without bezels at this monitor. I would like to know what is the actual screen size not just inches.

Can anyone please measure U2711 monitor? I would like to know how many centimeters is the height and width without bezels at this monitor. I would like to know what is the actual screen size not just inches.

Even if you're not interested in doing the math, this information is publicly available in many places. Here is the easiest way:

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?c4ab7acdd944bcc2f021dc14e44a8321

Image Dimensions: 23.53" x 13.22"
Image area: 311.07 sq. in.

Thank you but I want in centimeters. On this your site I only see smaller comparison of the screens. I would like to know height and windth in centimeters. Then I will draw on big paper this measurements and see how big will be monitor in real :).

Back