Dell U2711

Well said AndrewZorn. I was just trying to figure out where it was coming from and initially thought it was the OS with the cleartype smoothing or something along those lines. As I continued on though it became clear it wasn't the OS. I think there weren't any sides, in my last post I was just wondering what an actual pixel doubled screen looked like, as I haven't seen one in my limited experience.

Agreed on the 1:1/Aspect/Fill option, it's nice that it's there.

Hi

I bought this display few days ago but im having some problems with it, and I don't know if these are for display problems or computer (ati) problems.

When I try to use 1920x1080 resolution on windows, I have 2 black bands on the upper and lower zones of the u2711. When I use this same resolution on games like bad company 2, the screen works fine and the bands disappear, but in other games like starcraft 2, the bands appear again.

any idea?

ati 5870 + catalyst 10.2, GPU scaling off and using fill option.

I guess I should have posted to this thread originally...

I have a new Dell u2711 that noticeably gets darker and changes color tint towards the right side of the panel:

IMG_5003.JPG

Here are the color measurements on the Left, Middle, and Right side of the captured image:

Left:
RGB 199 207 218
HSV 215 9 85
Middle:
RGB 208 217 229
HSV 214 9 90
Right:
RGB 188 197 212
HSV 217 11 83

The left and middle have the same HS values, but a different brightness value, so at least the colors are the same and the brightness difference could be caused by vignetting in the camera.

However, between the left side and right side, the brightness is the same, but the color is definitely different.

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen something similar?

JP

Probably a really basic question, but I have to ask:
The black levels in 2D mode or on the desktop look great, but the black 'background' in games and such looks like more of a gray. What do I do to correct this? Night skies, menu backgrounds, "total darkness" shadows all look gray compared to Desktop Black. You can even see that when the game is loading or something, the REAL black comes back...
This has happened on every display, I know it is a software thing, but it really undermines this monitor. Any way to adjust?

Last edited:
Hrrm, I see a local classified post for a NIB u2711 super cheap (under 800). Seems too good to be true. Tempting still :(

Last edited:
Maybe just barely too good to be true.
I got mine for $825 shipped after Bing Cashback, but upped the warranty to 5yrs for $70.

Yeah it's pretty cheap, but the guy is saying he doesn't have warranty info. Ah well.

Dell is sending me a replacement new monitor (not refurbished).

I decided to return it because I also had another problem with this monitor. Randomly, about once an hour or so, the right half of the screen would flicker for a split second. I usually keep most of my work right in the middle of the screen, so, every once in a while, I would see the right half move relative to the left half. This would happen with all applications and I ended up replacing the video card with a new one (same model), and the problem was still there.

JP

Dell is sending me a replacement new monitor (not refurbished).

I decided to return it because I also had another problem with this monitor. Randomly, about once an hour or so, the right half of the screen would flicker for a split second. I usually keep most of my work right in the middle of the screen, so, every once in a while, I would see the right half move relative to the left half. This would happen with all applications and I ended up replacing the video card with a new one (same model), and the problem was still there.

JP

Just the right half? 2 panels stitched together maybe?

Ya, just the right half. I can't quite explain it. First I thought it might come from the 'dual link DVI' interface in that perhaps one link handled the left side and the other link handled the right side. I looked up the DVI specs and that does not seem to be the case. One link handles the even pixels and the other link handles the odd pixels.

Then, I exchanged my newly bought video card (BFG GTX 275) for another one of the same, problem is still there.

I'm guessing that DELL might have two LCD controller chips inside the panel and one of them has a problem? One chip handles the left side and the other handles the right?

JP

I'm guessing that DELL might have two LCD controller chips inside the panel and one of them has a problem? One chip handles the left side and the other handles the right?
JP

Well that's interesting...

By the way, the color/brightness heterogeneity your (-ex) 2711 shows in the picture you posted does not look so bad to me either.

Of course, it's difficult to give an advice based on a .jpg on a forum, but if you check the picture in this review:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1265617565

you easily see the right side of the u2711 looks darker than the left side.

Btw, dunno why, but on all LCD panels I ever used, the right side always looked darker than the left side to some degree... :rolleyes: (true)...
Including on the 5 laptops I owned...

Maybe someone will explain me that one day or another... :)

I always see one side darker or lighter than the other, even if just because of the backlight.
Also, on such a large/wide monitor, you see a lot of color changes at the corners/sides.
For instance, on a black screen, the pink of the left side is more noticeable than the green of the right side (not sure which way it actually is). But these aren't actually tints to the panel, they are just the color changes from being to the right/left of the respective corners.
Move your head around and you'll see everything change a bit.

Hi guys, i have one question. I use almost 2 years MVA panel from Benq (fp241w). Im satisified with it but I think about someting bigger, for example U2711 from Dell. I have an oportunity to buy it for 500 Euro. Is the IPS panel so much better than MVA panel? Thanks.

Last edited:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?

Since one day I also have the Dell U2711. But I am not happy with the ICM profile on the included CD, nor with the sRGB setting in the OSD menu. In color managed applications in (Windows 7) PS-CS4 and Firefox the colors seem too dull (Especially orange and red tones). I get the same effect in OSX Snow Leopard (Almost fully color managed OS) with the same Dell2711.ICM profile. Is there any software to adjust the ICC/ICM profile so the red/orange hues are slightly more pronounced without changing the hue of the entire monitor by increasing/decreasing the individual RGB sliders in the OSD or in Nvidia's control panel? (Of cause not using an ICC profile causes over-saturated colors especially the red and orange tones, so that isn't an option either). Especially skin colors seem slightly grayish/desaturated compared to my 2407 (non wide gamut SRGB monitor)

Last edited:
Hi guys, i have one question. I use almost 2 years MVA panel from Benq (fp241w). Im satisified with it but I think about someting bigger, for example U2711 from Dell. I have an oportunity to buy it for 500 Euro. Is the IPS panel so much better than MVA panel? Thanks.
Dell U2711 for only €500? Question answers itself really ;)
Edit: and yes, IPS is superior to MVA.

Last edited:
Well I ordered mine on 2/27 and got an estimated delivery date of 3/16. A couple of days ago it was delayed to 4/6. I'm a patient person though, I've waited this long to upgrade my 2001fpw.

Ordered mine 20 mins ago (two of them) and the estimated delivery date is 4/7.

Got each for $999.00 CDN as they are on sale right now in Canada for that price (regular price is $1249.00 CDN).

One thing I'm confused about - hope someone can clarify.

I understand you need a dual-link dvi capable computer for the top resolution. My Dell laptop only has vga and hdmi. Would I get the 1440 res.? Anyway I can be sure (it uses integrated intel graphics card)

thanks

I think HDMI 1.3 (or higher) can get the maximum res. The video card would be a factor too...

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that HDMI 1.3 will give the max res. of 1440 (rather than the dvi dual-link)?

Also, does anyone know how to tell if my laptop graphics card will support it - I can't seem to figure it out? (new Dell Inspiron 1464 laptop with "Intel® HD Graphics")

thanks!

I have a question to anyone who has perhaps compared this with Dell's previous 27", the 2709w.

If I basically just do movies and web browsing (no color sensitive/photo work), which would be better? I understand the 2709w is 15 square inches bigger due to 16:10. For movies, I understand pixels are less important than screen size; however, I also understand the contrast/blacks are supposedly better on the u2711.

thanks for any input.

I also understand the contrast/blacks are supposedly better on the u2711.

Actually it is the 2709W that has the best blacks and CR.

For me movies look much better on a TV as compared to a computer screen, any computer screen. I am talking LCD or Plasma TVs, they both do a better job with motion and contrast.

The biggest issue with the 2709W is input lag and I personally am not sensitive that, but I am not a hardcore gammer either.

Dave

Sadly enough I think I might also be looking to get rid of my U2711 (though hopefully dell will accept a return/exchange for a 3007). The high resolution is nice but I guess my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be. :(

Same here brotha, my eyes just arent as good as they used to be. The screen is amazing, would love to keep it.

Windows really needs proper (as in, not JUST text) DPI scaling, like everyone keeps saying they will do...
It seems like SUCH a simple process. Images and stuff would look bad, but at least it wouldn't mess up formatting and leave tiny buttons like it currently does.

Last edited:
Actually it is the 2709W that has the best blacks and CR.

For me movies look much better on a TV as compared to a computer screen, any computer screen. I am talking LCD or Plasma TVs, they both do a better job with motion and contrast.

The biggest issue with the 2709W is input lag and I personally am not sensitive that, but I am not a hardcore gammer either.

Dave

That's very interesting, thanks for that.
I always found the 2408wfp had better blacks and CR than the u2410. (as is often the case with ips)
I figured this wasn't the case with the u2711 since the reviews were saying the blacks/contrast are great. Maybe the 2709w is a better choice for me (since it's just for movies and web)

That's very interesting, thanks for that.
I always found the 2408wfp had better blacks and CR than the u2410. (as is often the case with ips)
I figured this wasn't the case with the u2711 since the reviews were saying the blacks/contrast are great. Maybe the 2709w is a better choice for me (since it's just for movies and web)

My comparison was my 2709W vs a 27 inch iMac, so I am asumming that the Dell U2711 looks about the same as the iMac. I doubt it is any better.

Dave

That's a bit of a stretch then...

There is pics on page 28 of this thread that look pretty close to me. I am not saying that one is better than the other. All that I am saying is that the Dell 2709W has the best black levels I have seen on any computer LCD including the 27 inch iMac, which I am guessing is very simular to the Dell U2711. Based on the pics on page 28 of this thread.

So yes it is a strech, but not a long one.

Dave

COLOR MANAGEMENT?

What color ICC profile are you using for color managed applications like Photoshop and Firefox? When I use the default U2711.ICC for windows or OSX the colors are too desaturturated/dull looking,

Last edited:
COLOR MANAGEMENT?

What color ICC profile are you using for color managed applications like Photoshop and Firefox? When I use the default U2711.ICC for windows or OSX the colors are too desaturturated/dull looking,
Desaturation is indicative of colour management working correctly.

Desaturation is indicative of colour management working correctly.

The colors are too desaturated compared to my other monitors (All SRGB monitors). All colors but mainly orange and red tones just feel slightly dull (not vibrant enough).

Last edited:
vibrant colors are not realistic color.

It is like when you go to a shop and see the TVs and displays with bright 100% and all colors saturated, it looks fine there, but you cant use that settings working or seeing the display/tv on home.

This display rox, on colors, dot pitch, resolution and everything.

Yeah, I know it's fake and all to have crazy colors... but I still think Adobe RGB setting with unmodified software is a pretty good balance. Just a bit more zazz than sRGB.

Back