Dell U2711

Everyone complains about the stand! It doesn't rotate, but I love having something that is finally rectangular, not some circley crap.
Finally some real input lag testing (kind of disappoints me honestly... is 30 extra ms of input lag almost like having +30 ping?), yet still no mention of the anti-glare coating.

Last edited:
Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that HDMI 1.3 will give the max res. of 1440 (rather than the dvi dual-link)?

Also, does anyone know how to tell if my laptop graphics card will support it - I can't seem to figure it out? (new Dell Inspiron 1464 laptop with "Intel® HD Graphics")

thanks!

Since it seems the U2711 uses the exact same hardware (scaler etc) as the 3008WFP, the HDMI input is not 1.3 and only goes up to 1920x1200. Likewise I don't know if any laptops support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 yet either because there are no monitors on the market that support them.

Also as mentioned in the Anandtech article (or was it the Prad.de one?) there is annoying lag (where the display is blank) when switching resolutions or inputs on the U2711. Can somebody comfirm if this is the case on the ones shipping now? I hate that on my Dell 3008WFP even though I don't notice any input lag when actually using the display. Makes switching between my PC and Macbook Pro awkward and the silly number of inputs (who really needs composite or S-Video on something this size?) doesn't help.

Since it seems the U2711 uses the exact same hardware (scaler etc) as the 3008WFP, the HDMI input is not 1.3 and only goes up to 1920x1200. Likewise I don't know if any laptops support HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 yet either because there are no monitors on the market that support them.
The electronic is quite different in terms of internal accuracy. And because the panel is a LG version with internal FRC (10bit => 8bit) the scaler has to be 10bit capable. So this a different version too (we should also keep in mind the destination resolution). But apart from that I also don't believe that you can drive the U2711 in 2560x1440 via HDMI.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Also as mentioned in the Anandtech article (or was it the Prad.de one?) there is annoying lag (where the display is blank) when switching resolutions or inputs on the U2711. Can somebody comfirm if this is the case on the ones shipping now? I hate that on my Dell 3008WFP even though I don't notice any input lag when actually using the display. Makes switching between my PC and Macbook Pro awkward and the silly number of inputs (who really needs composite or S-Video on something this size?) doesn't help.

Switching inputs on the monitor do seem to take a good amount of time, I can time it when I get home tonight if you need to know just how long it is if you want.

Switching inputs on the monitor do seem to take a good amount of time, I can time it when I get home tonight if you need to know just how long it is if you want.

Good amount of time sounds about right. Having the same inputs plus the switching lag is what makes me think the hardware is mostly the same as the 3008WFP.

Good amount of time sounds about right. Having the same inputs plus the switching lag is what makes me think the hardware is mostly the same as the 3008WFP.

As was previously mentioned though, the internal bit depth and resolution of the panel both have changed from the 3008WFP so it's difficult to say if has mostly the same hardware. I wouldn't doubt that the U2711 uses at least some stuff from the 3008WFP.

Also, I just wanted to say this is the first panel I've had that has a "boot up" delay :p But then the last monitor I bought were a pair of 2005wfp's.

The electronic is quite different in terms of internal accuracy. And because the panel is a LG version with internal FRC (10bit => 8bit) the scaler has to be 10bit capable. So this a different version too (we should also keep in mind the destination resolution). But apart from that I also don't believe that you can drive the U2711 in 2560x1440 via HDMI.

I'm still trying to figure out for sure if the monitor supports 1440 via hdmi.
After some more research, It appears this monitor is HDMI 1.3.
from u2711 manual:
"12 bit internal processing which tested HDMI1.3 with deep color (12bit)"
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2711b/en/ug/about.htm

Also, the newer Dell notebooks (like the Inspiron 1464) with Intel integrated graphics HD support hdmi 1.3a out:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-integrated-graphics/

I'm not too knowledgeable on this stuff, but does this mean it would support it, or not necessarily. Trying to do decide before buying.

Hold on, I'll just get out my laptop with HDMI and try it.

EDIT
Okay, it does look like it can only handle 1920x1080 over HDMI.
I tried with my laptop, and 1920x1080 was the max it would let me set. I know the laptop does at least 1920x1200...
In disbelief, I pulled out my DVI-HDMI cable to use on my 5850. Still only 1920x1080 available.
So I'd suggest just using a DVI-HDMI cable in the opposite way: if you have a HDMI device you want to use, run it into the DVI port of the monitor, and that should solve the issue.
I'd test it but this little experiment was actually pretty frustrating for me... the HDMI port on this monitor is really tight, and the cable I was trying to plug into it made it even worse. It felt like I was lifting the monitor up off the desk just trying to get it plugged in. Pretty annoying, so sorry, I won't do this last follow up test (at least, for now).
Oh, and by the way, Windows 7 still has really stupid handing of multiple displays. Had to force a power off after plugging in the DVI-HDMI to my desktop, it did the stupid "center of screen" stuff when the monitor was at 1920x1080 so I could not change the resolution back without simply removing the monitor again. So dumb.

Last edited:
Did some quick stopwatch testing:

Input switching: ~5 seconds
"startup" time: ~10 seconds.

In disbelief, I pulled out my DVI-HDMI cable to use on my 5850. Still only 1920x1080 available.
This will not function even if the display can handle 2560x1440 via HDMI. HDMI >= 1.3 does not implement DualLink (and I have never seen this in practical use with lower versions). That's why most HDMI-DVI-cables are 18+1 - a 24+1 version delivers no benefit here. You would need some kind of converter.

Best regards

Denis

I don't understand...

If you had a 1.3+ spec computer and a 1.3+ spec cable, then the DVI end of the cable should also be able to handle the signal... and if the monitor has no issues with DVI... why not?

I just realized you were describing why it would not work for me. I think the main reason is it still being on the HDMI input. I was typing the above in hopes of someone with an HDMI device using such a cable and putting it on the DVI input.

Quoting monoprice about HDMI-DVI cables:

Question: Will this cable work in either direction?
Answer: Yes. You can connect a DVI source to an HDMI display or an HDMI source to a DVI display.

Question: Why don''t you carry a HDMI to DVI dual link cables?
Answer: While both HDMI and DVI are able to support extended bandwidth signals, they do it in two totally different ways. HDMI increases bandwidth on the exisiting conduits while DVI takes a double pipe approach referred as dual link. In other words DVI breaks the signal down into two separate sets of signals by adding 6 extra pins. HDMI has 19 pin and DVI single link has the same number of corresponding pins. There are no extra pins in HDMI to accomodate the extra pins in DVI dual link.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...31&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=6#faq

My u2711 showed up yesterday and I am almost complete with a PC/mac setup I decided to pursue instead of buying a new i7 machine a few months back.

I picked up this arm also for fun
(Innovative 7500-1500 27-Inch Deluxe Floating Flat Panel LCD Monitor Radial Arm) from amazon for a nice price. Its 99 down from 399 list and is all quality to say the least.

I have not calibrated the monitor yet. So this is just a get the pics up as fast as possible post.
Out of the box the imac 27'' has the edge in every way but fiddling with things I think I could mirror the imac display easily with the right settings. They appear to be the same panel. Both panels need some tweaking.
Switching from display port to dvi (mac 2nd monitor to pc) is faster than I expected and works great as far as both machines not getting confused about new monitors popping up and out.
I am very pleased with it but make no mistake about it. The AG coating on this monitor sucks and looks even rougher next to the imac. My wife noticed this without me saying anything the first time she sat down. (she almost packed up and left me when she saw the portrait setup, its a little awesome and kinda useless at the same time)

I am coming from a 3007wfp I have had for 4 years. The u2711 is better on the color and brightness but white pages and text still sparkle just the same.
I have not read one review that mentions anything about this. It is about time someone nailed them for this. It sucks.

That said there is really no ips without it so I would still say go for it.

If you have any photo requests let me know.

(the sonic all-stars is pc version at native rez)

Nice setup that you got there. I'm just wondering how did you install the arm on to your desk? Did you had to drill holes in your desk or the thing clamps on to the desk?

I'm not the original poster, but I just installed a 7500 on my desk. Works really nicely with the u2711 and it only cost $99 on amazon (out of stock now).

I installed it by clamping it to the edge of my desk, but you can also install it by drilling a hole, on the side of your desk, or on a wall.

This website has engineering drawings of many different types of mounts (including the 7500):
http://www.ergodirect.com/default.php?cPath=593

JP

Just got my monitor today and have a quick question...

I know you can swivel and tilt forward/back, but can you turn the monitor between landscape and portrait mode? Reason is the monitor isn't completely even and I don't want to try to turn too hard and break the stand.

The monitor looks crooked on my desk so I took a ruler and measured from the bottom of the monitor to my desk. The left side is 5.1 inches while the right side is 4.9 inches. This can't be normal right? Anyone else with this problem?

I know you can swivel and tilt forward/back, but can you turn the monitor between landscape and portrait mode? Reason is the monitor isn't completely even and I don't want to try to turn too hard and break the stand.

The monitor looks crooked on my desk so I took a ruler and measured from the bottom of the monitor to my desk. The left side is 5.1 inches while the right side is 4.9 inches. This can't be normal right? Anyone else with this problem?

The U2711 isn't capable of portrait mode so don't break it trying to rotate it :) Not at home at the moment, but from memory mine wasn't crooked like that.

The U2711 isn't capable of portrait mode so don't break it trying to rotate it :) Not at home at the moment, but from memory mine wasn't crooked like that.

Thanks for the info :)

I'll probably give Dell a call tomorrow and see if they will replace it. Hopefully there are no refurbished ones yet since the monitor is still so new.

And if I remember correctly Dell will send the replacement first before I have to give them my monitor so there won't be any downtime for me...

Probably might get a new stand. If the monitor has absolutly no defect minus the stand, it'd be the logical thing to ask for IMO.

Probably might get a new stand. If the monitor has absolutly no defect minus the stand, it'd be the logical thing to ask for IMO.

Logical to normal people, yes. But I've found that Dell's return/exchange process is easier and quicker (easier for the CSR's too, from what I can tell) so in general they'll go that route. I've had at least a few experiences with Dell where the CSR volunteered to replace a whole device rather than replace a component.

FYI, for Canadian buyers this is still on sale today for $799. Dell also offers 6-months of interest-free financing on accessories (monitors included) that expires today.

Argh, another deal for CA and not US. Dell hates americans! :p

Going to see if I can get this shipped to the US.

Edit: Both Dell CA and US reps turned down the price for shipped to the US, doh.

Last edited:
Is your display supposed to be 100% uniform when you look at a light/medium gray background? My display seems to have uniform lighting in the sense that there is no back light bleeding in the corners (Also not lighter or darker from left to right). But it isn't totally uniform either. I can see, very faintly, sort of stripes (one/two inches) mainly in the middle of the screen.

4445420370_51e1ff277c_b.jpg
(Photo Unedited)
4445420490_cefd14a214_b.jpg
(Photo Extreme contrast)
4445420576_09ceb1f4b4_b.jpg
Other problem that I mentioned earlier Colors too desaturatd (Left 2711 using color profile U2711.icc, right Dell 2407 (srgb monitor)

Last edited:
I think that the slight uneven backlight is normal.
Also, as a serious photog, it really, really, isn't noticeable.

When compared to the Apple 27" display, this thing has little to no issues.

That doesn't mean I didn't notice it and get super super paranoid. My display also has a band of slightly warmer color temp 1" from the bottom. I almost called for a return, but I decided to give it 2 months and see if it actually bothers me.

So far, it is not noticeable under any circumstances except BARELY there when using the yellow iMac test.

@ heliotropeUCSD
Thanks for the reply :), You are probably right. My Dell 2407 has totally even backlight though, so it should be possible/normal.

Does anyone know how to adjust an existing ICC profile with software alone? Just tweak it a little bit by slightly increasing red/orange saturation for example?

Before I start to get some buyer's remorse...
How do you guys think this compares to the NEC 3090WQXi?

NEC selling refurbs at $1000 was good enough to make me wonder... but someone that just bought three got them for $700 each because "he had to wait so long" (6 weeks mind you, but they were "out of stock" anyway). Probably an exceptional case, but even at $1000 for a refurb, how does it compare? Then again, a NEW Dell is $800ish with shipping, so I may have already answered my own question.

When you use the U2711 in a dark ish room are you still able to notice the AG coating?

On light colors, especially white, it is always visible.
It is like having a piece of protective film over a new device... but less obvious.

On light colors, especially white, it is always visible.
It is like having a piece of protective film over a new device... but less obvious.

It's important to keep in mind that it really depends on one's sensitivity to AG coatings. Personally, I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it. Of course, YMMV :p

@Sephrioth

Just curious:
How did you take the second picture and what color/brightness/contrast settings did you used ?
Also, do you know the RGB value of the grey you display there ?

Btw, I believe it's normal for any LCD display to show some kind of heterogeneity in color/brightness/backlight uniformity.
Specially for displays of this size.
Humbly, I've seen quite a number of LCD panels, and each has always some kind of heterogeneity.
You cannot ask for "perfection".
Each display born with its own "specificity".

Plus, the 2407 is really a good monitor.
One of the best Dell monitor for me...
Still beat the 2408 and 2410 (well, IMHO) - but it's not a wide-gammut...
So to be compared with a 2407 (particularly rev A04) is a true challenge ;-)

We just have to stop to be too paranoïde about uniformity.
Well, I have to admit I'm too... ;)

Last edited:
@iaTa

IMHO, the more light you have in the room, the less you notice the AG coating.
A dark room is where the coating will be the more visible.

However, I use my u2711 in a quite dark room and I love it... ;-)
I find the u2711 coating far less annoying in a dark room than the u2410 one.
On the 2410, the AG coating makes text somewhat blurry in low light conditions.
This is not the case for the u2711: text remains crisp and clear.

u2410 coating is great when you work in "office" ambient light.

My 2 cents,...

@brhume
I don't know the exact values, it was about mid value gray I think. In all programs with a medium gray background like PS, AI, AE it is quite visible and annoying. Also for example when booting OSX (gray screen with apple logo) it is very obvious there. It just feels sort of blotch/dirty to me. In the picture I posted earlier it is less visible then it is in real life (I will post some better photograph here)...

4454121045_5a56190cce_b.jpg

4454895638_0ee344fb85_b.jpg

Can someone post a comparison photograph of their screen?

Also is anyone using the Srgb preset mode from the OSD Menu? For me it is totally unuseable (colors become far too grayish/desaturated, even worse than using U2711.ICC).

Last edited:
What OSD mode are you using? Standard (wide gamut)? srgb mode? adobe rgb? And does anyone use an ICC profile for color management?

Update on my situation. Got a call back from Dell and they said the difference in height is within their specs and tolerance ranges. The lady said they had their engineering and QA teams review it but I have my doubts....

How is this possible? Shouldn't the monitor be perfectly even?

Well, here we go.
I bought a Dell U2711 from ebay 30 days ago, and it died yesterday.
Looks like an old school TV- flickering and vertical jumping. Thank god my ebay seller was on top of his game and had transferred the warranty to me. Dell claims they are sending a replacement next day air- stay tuned for the rest of the story!

Update on my situation. Got a call back from Dell and they said the difference in height is within their specs and tolerance ranges. The lady said they had their engineering and QA teams review it but I have my doubts....

How is this possible? Shouldn't the monitor be perfectly even?
Did you get the angle it was at, or maybe measure the 'height' of either corner? Some sort of concrete measure of crookedness?

Back