Dell U2711

Did you get the angle it was at, or maybe measure the 'height' of either corner? Some sort of concrete measure of crookedness?

Yup, took a picture with a ruler against the screen that showed the measurements and sent it to Dell. Then they called back saying it's within spec...

@Sephrioth:

Just to be sure to understand the relation between your "Extreme Contrast" picture and what you actually perceive on the screen:

- on the "extreme contrast" picture, there is for example a quite darker tiny small zone along the right side/border of the panel,just in the middle of the border.

- this means you can notice (when looking very carefully) a slightly darker "shade" just there when displaying a light/medium grey full screen ?

Correct ?

(Probably the backlight tubes are arranged so this zone is a little less highlighted)

Last edited:
New one arrived!
First was build date Jan 2010, second Feb 2010.
The first one was less uniform and had a band of warm grey at the bottom, not to mention starting flickering like an old tv set.

New one (overnighted! by Dell!) is a better copy. More uniform, no band. I'm going to run calibration on it and will post the results.

@Sephrioth:

Just to be sure to understand the relation between your "Extreme Contrast" picture and what you actually perceive on the screen:
- on the "extreme contrast" picture, there is for example a quite darker tiny small zone along the right side/border of the panel,just in the middle of the border...

I have no trouble with the borders of the screen at all. It is most visible just off the center (right), and also a stripe just off the center left. But when you look at an even gray background the whole display just feels a bit blotchy. (Still most notably just right and left of the center).

Hello all,

Does anybody knows if an A01 rev of the u2711 could be released soon ?

Thanx.

Last edited:
@ brhume

The higher contrast image is a bit misleading. You can better download the pictures I posted later on (AE and Apple boot screen). They are a bit small, sorry. But if you stretch them out full screen and look at them at some distance you can clearly see that the screen is blotchy. Mainly left and right of the center of the screen are some lighter darker stripes (left and right of the apple logo). I do not have a darker area on the edge of the screen.

My settings are 80% backlight and 50% contrast. But it was just as bad at 50% backlight.

@Sephrioth

Hi ;-)

I downloaded and zoomed/streched.
I also applied high contrast on these pictures, so the heterogeneity is enhanced.
Honestly, it's difficult to give an advice on the stripes.

Usually, IPS panels looks "dirtier" than PVA ones (like the 2407), especially if wide-gammut.

Last edited:
I guess I should have posted to this thread originally...

I have a new Dell u2711 that noticeably gets darker and changes color tint towards the right side of the panel:

IMG_5003.JPG

Here are the color measurements on the Left, Middle, and Right side of the captured image:

Left:
RGB 199 207 218
HSV 215 9 85
Middle:
RGB 208 217 229
HSV 214 9 90
Right:
RGB 188 197 212
HSV 217 11 83

The left and middle have the same HS values, but a different brightness value, so at least the colors are the same and the brightness difference could be caused by vignetting in the camera.

However, between the left side and right side, the brightness is the same, but the color is definitely different.

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen something similar?

JP

I have got mine just yesterday with same issue :( Between the left side and right side is the color different...

@ brhume

Thanks for the effort :) I didn't know IPS screens had more problems in this respect than PVA screens. All the screens I have had used PVA panels. I don't really see it in normal everyday use and I don't have backlight bleeding issues, so I will just try to ignore it.

For the color distortion, is it still there when you move your head around? Just keep in mind viewing angle at the corners (which having owned my first IPS, is still problematic if you are picky, yet nowhere near as bad as TN).

For the color distortion, is it still there when you move your head around? Just keep in mind viewing angle at the corners (which having owned my first IPS, is still problematic if you are picky, yet nowhere near as bad as TN).

No, its not about viewing angels. Its color uniformity problem. If you are sitting right infront of it its noticeable, mostly on white backround. Im thinking about moneyback...

Last edited:
I don't know if it is my monitor or not, but it has only ever happened with this one...
When I wake up and turn on my monitor (computer was fully on all night), the resolution is set to 1024x768. I try to change it to 2560x1440 and it will not even work, have to restart the computer. This ONLY seems to happen when it is off for a long period, I never come home and see it like this.

@AndrewZorn

What I had with some graphic cards/monitor combination is that when Windows is set to turn the display off after a certain period of time, the monitor does not come back normally. Either it stay off, or it is set to a wrong resolution.

Maybe you should try to play with Windows power settings.

Hope this helps.

Can someone here tell me how Dell's exchange policy work? I just discovered a few dead pixels. From my understanding of things, Dell has a 21 day return policy, but when does the countdown start? I ordered the U2410 on March 10th, Dell shipped it on March 11th, and I received it on March 17th.

It starts on ship date.
They'll mail you a new one in exchange if you want too, as in, before you mail your old one back...

What does Dell do about the dead pixel monitors it receives back? Do they just put them back on the shelf and ship them off to another customer or does it go back to manufacturing to be repaired?

I better not get a single dead/stuck pixel on my u2711, paying enough for this quality that's for sure.

What does Dell do about the dead pixel monitors it receives back? Do they just put them back on the shelf and ship them off to another customer or does it go back to manufacturing to be repaired?

I better not get a single dead/stuck pixel on my u2711, paying enough for this quality that's for sure.

No idea, but I would imagine dead pixels be more prevalent in large resolution LCDs because there are more pixels and hence more opportunities to go wrong.

Probably turn into refurbs. But yeah, 2560x1440 pixels or not, I have not settled for a device with dead/stuck pixels ever... I won't start when it's time to pay this much.

I am considering this model. I wouldn't consider a dead pixel for any price. I'm still using my original Soyo Topaz-S 24" IPS panel from Office Max and (crosses fingers) it has no dead pixels.

They stopped using IPS panels on the Soyo long before it hit the $200 price range.

ordered my 2711 last friday, and it has an estimated ship date of 4/12. Was able to get the price down to 950 through some haggling w/ a dell rep, and got the 3yr warranty and free next day shipping included with that price. Tax was another 50 bucks though :/

They stopped using IPS panels on the Soyo long before it hit the $200 price range.
I know for at least a short time they were $200 IPS panels, hence my strong memory of a monitor I never got the chance to own.

Probably with a very high discount. Considering they retailed for $300, I can't see a a 24" IPS panel going for $200. Maybe refurbished? Either way they are all TN now.

Well on April 4 I will have been waiting for exactly 1 month for my u2711, of course I cancelled the order midway through March due to the Canadian dollar reaching par with the US and the u2711 went from $1299 to $999 overnight.

I'm so tired of waiting, I want my monitor. Ship date still says 04/09/2010...

A fellow Canadian ordered his u2711 just last week and its shipping today.

Call them up

I ordered mine when it was $799 on the 18th and it still has not shipped. I called Dell but that was useless as all they told me was that I should get it by 4/7 (which is the original estimated delivery date). If it doesn't show up by next week then I'll try calling again, but in the end I'm no rush and the price was great.

I ordered mine when it was $799 on the 18th and it still has not shipped. I called Dell but that was useless as all they told me was that I should get it by 4/7 (which is the original estimated delivery date). If it doesn't show up by next week then I'll try calling again, but in the end I'm no rush and the price was great.

Yeah I ordered two U2711's on March 18th. and they are due to ship on the 5th. (Monday).

I got my U2711 today (bought on Monday), no dead pixel and no color tinting issue. I got it from eBay (electronics.liquidation), and paid the optional $20 pixel/color check-up. So far so good.

Nice man, It's always nice to get a monitor that is perfect!

/crosses fingers.

Talked to Dell order support and my order is still scheduled to be shipped next week. Here's to hoping!

I got my U2711 today (bought on Monday), no dead pixel and no color tinting issue. I got it from eBay (electronics.liquidation), and paid the optional $20 pixel/color check-up. So far so good.

What is the input lag/response time like on the Dell U2711? How is the antiglare coating? Is it as grainy as the U2410 or is it less aggressive/intrusive?

Back