Dell U2515H

How do games look at 1080p? I'm curious because it isn't much larger than a 24-inch display, so maybe it won't be blurry. My current computer can't handle gaming at 1440p so I'm trying to decide if I want to give this a try or get the 4k so I can game at 1080p.

I understand you mean "How do games look at 1440p?"

It's quite a big difference from playing in 1080p. Everything becomes much sharper. Details and colors emerge in a different way.
I do not regret the purchase and would not go back to 1080p :)

How do games look at 1080p? I'm curious because it isn't much larger than a 24-inch display, so maybe it won't be blurry. My current computer can't handle gaming at 1440p so I'm trying to decide if I want to give this a try or get the 4k so I can game at 1080p.

I don't understand why you'd want to buy a 1440p monitor if you're going to game at 1080p - there are other 24" 1080p monitors that offer other benefits over the U2515H that would make more sense, like one of the 24" G-Sync monitors or going for a faster refresh rate.

I don't understand why you'd want to buy a 1440p monitor if you're going to game at 1080p - there are other 24" 1080p monitors that offer other benefits over the U2515H that would make more sense, like one of the 24" G-Sync monitors or going for a faster refresh rate.

I rarely play games and I already have a good 1080p display. Higher PPI and more workspace is what I'm after. So I'm getting either 4k 24 inch or 1440 25 inch. I'm just curious how games look on the 25-inch display since it isn't much larger than what I'm using now.

I have a question similar to Lava Lamp Freak's but for completely different reasons that apply only to me. I'm very interested in something close to a 18" diagonal 16:9 display for PC gaming, which would be 15.69" x 8.82", and I would like as many pixels per inch as possible. If I could do this at 1920x1080, that would be a PPI of 122.38.

This 25" 2560x1440 monitor has a PPI of 117.49 which is a lot closer than most monitors out there. If If this monitor does 1:1 pixel mapping well, I could set it to 1920x1080 and have a diagonal of 18.75" (16.34" × 9.19").

Could someone comment on how well this monitor behaves with 1920x1080 1:1 pixel mapping?

I rarely play games and I already have a good 1080p display. Higher PPI and more workspace is what I'm after. So I'm getting either 4k 24 inch or 1440 25 inch. I'm just curious how games look on the 25-inch display since it isn't much larger than what I'm using now.

In that case, I'd go with 1440p 25" - at 100% (to prevent blurring any desktop-native apps), it is still very readable and you get a lot more real estate. 1080p games look fine - didn't realize I was running BF4 @ 1080p for at least 10 minutes.

Has everyone asking questions seen this video review? It's not particularly technical, but can't beat a video for seeing what a product looks like! He did an unboxing video earlier too.

My graphics card has a standard DP output and I believe the monitor comes with a miniDP to DP cable? I'm getting two, can I go PC DP > Monitor 1 mDP then daisy chain Monitor 1 DP > Monitor 2 mDP?

Or do I need to buy additional DP cables?

Hey guys, so i need some help / opinions.

I have a U3011 monitor but somewhere in the end of the year i'm going to move to a new house and for what i've been checking, the space i'll have for my desk is not as much as i have now. Having a 30" monitor in a desk along side with a Air 540 will be a tough call.

So i've been checking possibilities.

My questions for those of you who have this monitor are:

a) How's monitor image quality?
b) Is the 1440p a tad too high of a resolution for a 25" or can you work fine on it?
c) Did any of you downgrade from a 30/27" to this monitor? Thoughts about if it was worth it or if you regret it?
d) Should i just skip this and make space in the desk and keep the U3011?

Thank you all.

b) Is the 1440p a tad too high of a resolution for a 25" or can you work fine on it?
c) Did any of you downgrade from a 30/27" to this monitor? Thoughts about if it was worth it or if you regret it?
d) Should i just skip this and make space in the desk and keep the U3011?

This has117.49 PPI (pixels per inch) while the U3011 has a much lower PPI of around 101PPI. So text on this will look a lot smaller (this can be enlarged of course) but images will also look a lot sharper, which most prefer. It's completely subjective but it also depends how close you sit to your screen? You might have to move the 2515 closer to you rather than sat back towards the wall.

Going to a lower resolution screen is always difficult though... I'd say do everything to try and make your 30" fit if you're happy with it. If you really can't then this 25" seems a great alternative.

Looks like antonline and shopblt have them under $450, free shipping and no tax in most states. Do note that shopblt will not accept returns or exchanges for any reason, they force you to go through Dell.

http://www.shopblt.com/item/dell-u2515h-25in-lcd-2560x1440-1k1/dellco_u2515hh.html

http://www.antonline.com/p_Dell--U2...CD-2560-x-1440-1K-1-HDMI-USB-8MS-_1169820.htm\

Edit - Amazon has them for a little over $400 from third-party sellers now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...UM3R9XHJL&condition=new&coliid=I13Z8UNCAV1R1L

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

4k would be better at 1080p probably because it would scale better than 1440p

A n00b here. I'm curious about this monitor. Has anyone tried running it at 75hz? What is your take on this overclocking process in general?
I'm interested about the gaming qualities and lag because otherwise this monitor seems like a really nice choice. Guess I'll have to wait for the professional reviews.

I got to play with this monitor over the weekend. I ordered the 27" and received the 25" instead :rolleyes: I was very impressed with the monitor. No dead/stuck pixels, and back light bleed is very minimal. Going from 27" 1920x1080 (Asus VE278Q) to this monitor 25" 2560x1140 (U2515H) was quite an adjustment. All of your menus and UI's become very small. Gaming on the Dell was very nice. The pixels are so small there is very little reason for using any AA. The monitor is also smoother than my old VE278Q, as confirmed by the UFO tests. I did try briefly to overclock the monitor but I didn't have much luck. I am really up to date on the best methods and timings to use to overclock this monitor. I was able to overclock to 72hz fairly easily, but frame dropping was evident in the UFO tests. So there may be some overclocking headroom with this monitor.

Mine came in on Saturday. Looks like I lucked out with a good panel. No dead pixels, very little light bleeding and if there is IPS glow, I don't notice it. I've always had IPS panels from my first LCD in 2005. I've tried TN panels but I just can't get over how crappy they look (washed out, colors don't pop). I also have two VA panels which are almost as good as IPS but not quite. I came from my beloved HP LP2475W which at the time (2008) was one of the best 24" monitors for graphic work with 92% NTSC color gamut. The first thing I noticed was, despite the larger screen, the overral size of the Dell was much smaller in every aspect (W/D/H). I've always been a 16:10 purist but that was for resolutions at or below 1920x1200. The extra 240 pixels (1440) makes up for the aspect ratio. As others stated, it's more on the matte side but not completely matte. It came with the brightness and contrast at 50 and the image seems to be very bright already.

For you Photoshop guys, one thing I noticed while working on some 300ppi print graphics on CS6 was the print size actually looking sharp. PS has a history of showing a blurry print size if it's not one of the default zoom options (33%, 50%, etc). The same graphics on my HP 2475w were blurry at print size. Nothing else changed except for the monitor (I adjusted Photoshop to each monitor's pixel pitch). I'm guessing this is due to the much better ppi on the Dell.

Played some Shadow of Mordor (rig in signature) and it looked great. So far I'm very happy with this monitor and am glad I didn't go the 27" route. While I do have the desk space, I just can't imagine sitting in front of that much screen at ~2' away. My eyes wouldn't know where to go. Kudos to Dell for bringing out a niche size with awesome res.

Last edited:
I found a comment here that the U2415 doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping; could someone confirm for me whether the U2515H has it or not? If it has it, I will probably buy it; if it doesn't, it will be useless for me and I'll have to wait for something else.

Kudos to Dell for bringing out a niche size with awesome res.

To be fair I think more credit needs to go to the panel manufacturer (LG?) ;)

More of these will hit the market soon as other monitor manufacturers make screens based on this and similar panels, Dell are just first to market.

I´m from Sweden and i have a Dell U2515H. I have tried to run 1440p (GTX 970) over HDMI and it works just fine :)

Did you get 2560x1440 as an option, or did you set it up manually with a custom resolution? I never tried custom resolution. However, I was on an older GTX 580, which had no DP support. GTX 970s all have DP-support AFAIK.

I'm really tempted to buy one but even after chatting with two Dell customer service reps the return policy is sketchy.

You get 30 days from the day you purchase it, not when you receive it, and returning because of dead/stuck pixels seems to be hit or miss.

I'm really tempted to buy one but even after chatting with two Dell customer service reps the return policy is sketchy.

You get 30 days from the day you purchase it, not when you receive it, and returning because of dead/stuck pixels seems to be hit or miss.

I assume you're in the US?

Love your username btw, inventive use of the '/' :)

Did you get 2560x1440 as an option, or did you set it up manually with a custom resolution? I never tried custom resolution. However, I was on an older GTX 580, which had no DP support. GTX 970s all have DP-support AFAIK.

I didn't have to make a custom resolution, windows set it automatically.

I've never had an issue returning stuff to Dell because of a bad pixel. They have their perfect-pixel guarantee on this monitor.

My U2515H was delivered today. Besides some clouding/bleed in the corners, it's a great display. My only complaint is that the higher PPI made everything on the screen much smaller than I anticipated. So, I'm having to use scaling and have already encountered some annoyances. On the other hand the increased PPI makes the Windows UI and text look great with scaling enabled.

Last edited:
I received mine yesterday and I have to send it back, USB on the back is "moved" and I can't plug things in. Also very heavy IPS glow, so maybe it is good for me. Also it doesn't work with my HDMI-DVI cable and with HDMI-HDMI connection I can't get higher resolution than 2048x1150 - bad cables I presume. Looks like I have to say goodbye to my old radeon and buy something new with DP.

After some further research and experimentation, I have realized that I don't need to worry about whether this monitor can do 1:1 pixel mapping; that would only matter if I wanted to hook up a console or some other thing besides a PC. Nvidia cards (and, I assume, AMD cards) will do the pixel mapping just fine on the GPU whether the display supports it or not. So it looks like I'll be ordering one!

(To recap: this is the only way I know of to get a 1920x1080 display that is anywhere near 18.75" diagonal, or a 19.28" 1920x1200 display.)

I received mine yesterday and I have to send it back, USB on the back is "moved" and I can't plug things in. Also very heavy IPS glow, so maybe it is good for me. Also it doesn't work with my HDMI-DVI cable and with HDMI-HDMI connection I can't get higher resolution than 2048x1150 - bad cables I presume. Looks like I have to say goodbye to my old radeon and buy something new with DP.

Make sure the HDMI/DVI cable is dual link (no missing pins). And i *think* you should get it to run at its full resolution when you remove the pixel clock limit, i use it for running 2560x1440@120Hz via DL-DVI atikmdag patcher

But maybe this is also because of another defect with the monitor itself

Had mine for a couple days now. From what I can tell mine is perfect. I don't see any back light bleed and IPS glow seems good. I'm hooked up it up via HDMI to my 680 with the supplied cable and it actually worked fine but I ended up just daisy chaining it off my U3415W and all is good.

Very happy with it as a secondary monitor.

Is display elements of U2515H too small compared to U2715H (27inch 1440p model) ?

for someone who has this U2515H monitor, Pls share screenshot

Here it is, but obviously you can increase text sizes across various apps and Windows itself.

Never had a 27" but I came from a Dell 2007FP 20" 1600x1200 and finding this no problem to use.

Bought it! With shipping and tax and that coupon it came to $423 (taxes slightly higher in my state). Thanks for posting the deal!

Q: 1. Can someone please describe the screen coating? Light matte? Semi-gloss? Reg Matte?

Q: 2. Does this monitor have 1:1 pixel mapping?

Was able to get this monitor last night for $367 - $393 shipped. Looking forward to getting it, the TFT write-up on the 27-inch version gives a great overview of what to expect from the 25-inch version. The pixel density on this monitor is a nice gap filler - vice going 4K, IMO.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2715h.htm

Hopefully the input lag is as good as its 27" brother. If not I will be returning it and getting the 27".

I'll test 1:1 pixel mapping tonight by hooking up my PS3 via HDMI. I did this with my old HP LP2475w that had 1:1 mapping (1920x1200 native res).

TFTCentral have also just confirmed via Twitter that

Dell U2515H has 13.7ms of total display lag. Estimating ~4.1ms from pixel response times, and ~9.6ms signal processing lag.
and
The Dell U2515H has scaling options for 16:9, 5:4 and 4:3. No specific 1:1 pixel mapping mode, same as other recent UltraSharps

so like the U2414H and U2715H models when it comes to scaling

Back