Dell U2412M

Been visiting this forum 4 d last 4 months or so! 10e or senna89 have become household names almost!
:cool:
But Law2rence posted something that made me really want 2 sign up and post something. Actually I AM typing using a U2412HM that u claim don't exist! In fact I bought this monitor on 7th November in order to build my mid-range gaming rig, and experienced inordinate BLB. :(
But I have huge respect for Dell and decided 2 stick around and ordered a U2412M as a replacement from my system vendor although its a tad expensive as it comes packing a Display-port. Asus PA246Q had been a serious temptation but I decided in favour of Dell, and the almost-legendary 10e's arguments played no small role in that process! :p
Another thing that deserves to be mentioned is that I'm from West Bengal, India, and the much-touted Dell customer support is, pretty..insignificant, to put it mildly.
Yet getting that replacement in a couple of days, and..I hope you guys would support my decision to stick to Dell! Stay safe friends!! And..10e, you've been an inspiration! :rolleyes:

Looks like improper de-interlacing.

Thank you, but is it a problem with the monitor or something else from all the things I mentioned earlier (OS, GPU, etc.)?

Also let me remind you that this is not what I see. I only uploaded the picture to demonstrate the phenomenon. What I see is of similar nature but way way weaker, only on small letters when I fast scroll vertically and smooth scrolling is enabled.

What is a good starting point for calibrating these? I spoke with 10e recently, and he doesn't necessarily recommend his original numbers since the calibration was done on an older batch of panels. Is anyone still using his numbers on a brand new monitor and getting good results? if not, is there a free and relatively easy way to get fairly accurate calibration?

I just bought this monitor and I noticed a green tint at the left side of the monitor and pink at the right. Is this normal in these monitor or should I turn it back?

Last edited:
I just bought this monitor and I noticed a green tint at the left side of the monitor and pink at the right. Is this normal in these monitor or shoud I turn it back?

I don't see any tinting like that on mine. I'd return it.

I didn't explicate well on previous post. The green purple tint isn't normal for sure, but for this price monitor maybe is "normal" issue for this model. It' not so strong but for me who use it for photo editing is a little annoying. I wonder if I return it and get the same issue again. Also the bottom side of the screen is brighter than the top and the left side edge is darker. I don't have problem with glowing though.
Expect those problems that I mentioned I'm very pleased with this display especially the black levels and the sharpness and a lot more comfortable for my eyes compared to my previous monitor a HP ZR24w. I callibrated it very easy and the color reproduction are nice.

Last edited:
Is there a general consensus regarding dead pixels with this monitor? Skimming through the thread I didn't see any complaints about it. Reviews on Newegg reveal that it's a typical problem on many monitors. Is this Dell an exception? To me, any stuck/dead pixels are absolutely unacceptable, so I'm also wondering which retailers are best to deal with in regard to that issue. I'm considering Newegg, Amazon, and Best Buy (return to store instead of ship).

If your worried about Dead pixels and exchanging it, go with Dell directly. Any other place is gonna give you hell

The problem is that Dell is $70 more. Can't you return to Best Buy for most any reason, like backlight bleed etc within 14 days or so?
I've read much more of the thread now and still couldn't find any pixel problems. I'm thinking it would have been discussed quite a bit since the standards here seem to be high.

The problem is that Dell is $70 more. Can't you return to Best Buy for most any reason, like backlight bleed etc within 14 days or so?
I've read much more of the thread now and still couldn't find any pixel problems. I'm thinking it would have been discussed quite a bit since the standards here seem to be high.

Wait for a sale. The U2412m has been down to $249 a number of times already - most recently during the Black Friday weekend.

Is there a general consensus regarding dead pixels with this monitor? Skimming through the thread I didn't see any complaints about it. Reviews on Newegg reveal that it's a typical problem on many monitors. Is this Dell an exception? To me, any stuck/dead pixels are absolutely unacceptable, so I'm also wondering which retailers are best to deal with in regard to that issue. I'm considering Newegg, Amazon, and Best Buy (return to store instead of ship).
I ordered three in one shot quite recently. Not a single dead or stuck pixel in the bunch :D

This is the first time I've ever ordered multiple monitors at once, and had them all be perfect on the first shot. Really happy about that!

Now, that said, PWM flicker is an issue. I have to run the backlight at at least 75% for it to stop bothering my eyes. At least 88% to really make it go away, though I still catch a glimpse of it from time to time. (100% brightness is totally flicker-free, of course).

Thanks, the reviews are so good I may take a chance. Or maybe Dell will have an after Christmas sale. I guess I could wait that long.

If someone does see a Dell sale that includes this monitor, please post it! I was looking to pick up a PA248Q instead, but the price has gone up drastically lately, so I'm thinking of picking up a second U2412M instead. Even with my discount through work the Dell is still too much... :(

Just got my u2412m and overall I like it but I notice the bottom right corner looks like it has IPS glow. I definitely notice it in dark games. It looks like a reflection almost when I have the lights on and just glow when my lights are off. I really don't know if I should return it or not. The picture below was taken from 2 feet away, which is how far I sit back. If I move back to about 3 feet away, the glow almost disappears, I don't want to move back.

Do you guys think I should return it? Does anyone have non-noticeable glow if they sit 2 feet or so from their u2412m?

IMG_2566_zpsa20ad2bb.jpg

That is exactly where my backlight bleed was on my U2412M lower right hand corner....I returned mine..

When I had a 2412, mine glowed in that corner as well. Actually mine glowed in all 4 corners, but that corner was the worst. Strangely I have read others mention that the right corner glows for various other (but not all) ips monitors, not just the 2412.

I think a lot of people who complain about ips glow are mistaking it for backlight bleed. I know when I had mine, I just assumed at the time that the glowing corners were normal and occurred on all ips panels -- which I was of course wrong about.

If it bothers you, I'd return it. If replacement is the same or worse, I'd just return and get a different model.

Ok, I think I might return it, and not get another IPS. I know everyone here says TN's are outdated but I think I may get one, never really noticed a big problem with them before. How do you think this is guys?

I just got mine all set-up and I don't have any issues, guess I got a good one. I'm going to have to play around with the calibration, though, 10e's numbers don't seem to work that well on mine (which is what he said when I talked to him). I have an A03 if anyone has some calibration numbers to start me off with.

Last edited:
Ugh, what a horrible monitor so far. I can't get the yellow hue calibrated out of it so far, and right now it isn't really any nicer than a cheap tn panel.

I'm going to have to find a miracle cure for this thing, or it's going back.

Having a bit of trouble with calibrating. My games, like Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2, look washed out, almost as if there's a light gray film over the screen. I have an A03 and my starting calibration numbers were the 10e settings for an earlier revision.

Got mine at Christmas, I'm actually pretty happy with it except that on white screens there's a light grey fog down the right hand side which disappears when looking at the right side head-on. It's pretty subtle and only noticeable on a white screen so I'm 50/50 on whether to send it back or not.

What is the procedure for returning thins to Amazon? I've never had to go through it, do you have to prove a flaw or can you just send it back within 28 days?

If you claim it's defective or whatever they'll pay for shipping and it's pretty painless, you get a credit really quickly after they receive it. Otherwise you pay for shipping but the process is the same.

OK, cheers, so they don't actually replace it, they just refund you and you buy another then? Do they test the item before offering a refund or just do it automatically if it's within30 days?

Oh I think they do replacements if you bought it directly off Amazon, not off a merchant.

Thinking if i should get this panel for gaming... Opinions?

If you can live with corner glow, then yes. Its very likely that you'll get one with it.

I assume you're concerned that it's IPS as opposed to TN? I've used a U2711 for the past 2 years, and while I am not a hardcore gamer, I have played many of the big name titles out there. Personally, I've found the difference between TN and IPS to be extremely minimal, if not indistinguishable. Keep in mind too that one of the most important factors for gaming is latency. My lag when using the U2711 is commonly 36ms. Not coincidentally, this is the 6ms gray-to-gray latency for the panel + 30ms input lag. You'll typically only find input lag measurements in independent reviews.

Of course, there's other factors too. I have good internet bandwidth, and I use a HD7970. If you game at that level or higher, you really won't notice any difference. But do yourself a favor and research the input lags of monitors you're interested in. You'll be surprised. A good example is Dell's U2312HM, which has extremely low input lag for an IPS monitor.

As for corner glow, I've never really noticed it. It's there, but you really have to adjust your head. It's only discernible on black backgrounds; properly calibrating your screen also helps a lot, especially when your back light is at only 30%. Colors will look deeper, richer, and less washed out (this is true for any monitor).

Does anyone have a direct link to 10e's calibration for this monitor? Just picked on up, can't find it in this thread for some reason.

Bought this monitor today. This thing is huge :)
No blb or noticeable ips glow. To me this monitor looks perfect, but then I'm not too familiar with other types of defects :D
I bought this monitor from a vendor in china. Regarding ag coating, it's only noticeable on bright white pages, otherwise it looks good, well, to me at least :)

Does anyone have a direct link to 10e's calibration for this monitor? Just picked on up, can't find it in this thread for some reason.

I PM'd him about it and he doesn't necessarily recommend using his settings for the A03. If you want to try anyway, his custom color preset was R: 96, G: 93, B: 87, Brightness: 45, Contrast: 75.

I tried them on my A03 and decided against using them, but see what you think.

Hey guys, just got myself a U2412M but I have noticed backlight bleed, which is quite annoying to me:

IMG_20121229_185140.jpg

IMG_20121229_185158.jpg

IMG_20121229_185235.jpg

I can live with all the bleed at the corners except for bottom right one, which as you can see is quite pronounced. Brightness is at 100 when I took the photo, however, the calibrated setting is 44 which reduces the bleeding marginally.

Do you think I should call Dell for a replacement or I'll end up getting a worse unit anyway?

By the way, I live in Malaysia where Dell's service is great, they do 1-to-1 replacement right at your doorstep. This unit was however calibrated upon purchase and I understand that should I do a replacement, I'll probably lose the calibration.

Rev A03, however I saw that shipment date is 21st September (to wholesaler/retailer), seeing as it's manufactured that long the backlight bleed should have plenty of time to go away? I just started using yesterday, though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just got myself a U2412M but I have noticed backlight bleed, which is quite annoying to me:

IMG_20121229_185140.jpg

IMG_20121229_185158.jpg

IMG_20121229_185235.jpg

I can live with all the bleed at the corners except for bottom right one, which as you can see is quite pronounced. Brightness is at 100 when I took the photo, however, the calibrated setting is 44 which reduces the bleeding marginally.

Do you think I should call Dell for a replacement or I'll end up getting a worse unit anyway?

By the way, I live in Malaysia where Dell's service is great, they do 1-to-1 replacement right at your doorstep. This unit was however calibrated upon purchase and I understand that should I do a replacement, I'll probably lose the calibration.

Rev A03, however I saw that shipment date is 21st September (to wholesaler/retailer), seeing as it's manufactured that long the backlight bleed should have plenty of time to go away? I just started using yesterday, though.

I would probably let the monitor "warm up" for a few days or so, use it as much as you can. Try gently nipping the frame, and banging lightly with your hand, see if it will help free up the case which might be pinching it at the corner.

With the angle you use for pictures 2 and 3 you are seeing the IPS glow. Picture 1 clearly shows the backlight bleed though. Dell would send you a replacement with a return label for the first, so I would call them up and get it swapped tbh.

The calibration should be saved as an ICC profile in windows, but bear in mind each screen is slightly different, so you should really calibrate your new screen again, but it will probably look quite okay with the ICC profile from the old screen.

I was told that it was calibrated with professional tools. I can't really differentiate what's natural color and what's not though and so I'm not sure how useful it is to me.

Does backlight bleeding ever "go away" by itself?

Edit: I took another picture with my calibrated brightness setting in a literally light-less condition at night:

IMG_20121229_205146.jpg

I'd say it actually looks a lot better.

Last edited:
I PM'd him about it and he doesn't necessarily recommend using his settings for the A03. If you want to try anyway, his custom color preset was R: 96, G: 93, B: 87, Brightness: 45, Contrast: 75.

I tried them on my A03 and decided against using them, but see what you think.

I have an A03. What custom color preset are you using for your A03

2Jasonist,
hey man, grats on the purchase. U2412M is a great monitor. I have bought mine just yesterday and it's been great :)
Now regarding your monitor in those pictures. To me it looks bad, very bad. When I bought mine, it was pitch black, no BLB or noticeable IPS glow. If you can, you should definitely exchange yours.

Regards and good luck!

I have an A03. What custom color preset are you using for your A03

Right now I'm using the Standard profile with brightness turned down to 45. I don't have any calibration equipment, so I'm basically just eyeballing it for the time being. One day I might do a Custom Color profile and really try to dial it in, but for now it looks pretty good.

I've been using my new U2412M for the past couple of days. It's a rev A03 built September 2012. I loaded up the custom color ICC profile from TFTcentral. So far everything looks great. The colors look pretty good to me. I'll likely try to calibrate this display specifically a little more in the future. Backlight is pretty minimal, there is a little in the lower right hand side, but nothing that I notice unless I'm specifically looking for it.

Back