Dell U2412M

I'm receiving my U2412m tomorrow. Coming from an unfortunately deceased semi-professional CRT (Iiyama) I hope that it'll be a decent replacement to tide me over. I will be calibrating it using the X-Rite i1Display2 colorimeter and the X-Rite calibration software.

I've just made a profile for the A03 revision using a Spyder3 puck and ColorEyes Display Pro 1.52r36. I have set Native White, L* Gamma, Relative black. My screen is set at 25/75 brightness/contrast and it give me around 120 cd/m2. Also, the native white is around 6200k. Let me know if it give you good result !

http://cl.ly/3V4632071i0M1q1f0U2G/D...elative Black - Spyder3-ColorEyes 1.52r36.icm

I'll try it when i get home. i have the A03 too. made in May. I've been using the standard dell profile

I have set Native White, L* Gamma, Relative black.
Why are you forcing the display to the perceptive L* gradation? It doesn't reach this characteristic via OSD controls (based on a LUT >= 10bit per channel) so you will experience an extensive loss of tonal values even without transformations of a CMM in colormanaged applications. A gamma 2.2 or sRGB gradation would be a good choice: That gives you the correct midtone-brightness for most material (sRGB/ AdobeRGB) in unmanaged applications. In managed applications you will still have the correct gradation characteristic regarding your source material – although ECI-RGB v2 (which is based on the L* gradation) will be problematic because of the limited color gamut.

Best regards

Denis

Why are you forcing the display to the perceptive L* gradation? It doesn't reach this characteristic via OSD controls (based on a LUT >= 10bit per channel) so you will experience an extensive loss of tonal values even without transformations of a CMM in colormanaged applications. A gamma 2.2 or sRGB gradation would be a good choice: That gives you the correct midtone-brightness for most material (sRGB/ AdobeRGB) in unmanaged applications. In managed applications you will still have the correct gradation characteristic regarding your source material – although ECI-RGB v2 (which is based on the L* gradation) will be problematic because of the limited color gamut.

Best regards

Denis

I suggest to colletct all the denis's posts and write a book with it. :D

Best regards

Denis

I have try both settings, L* and 2.2 gamma. Both are giving me minimal banding. The only way to no get any banding is to not calibrate the display at all. Also, BasicColor and Coloreyes Display Pro suggest L* gamma. Maybe should I give another go to 2.2 gamma but L* is giving me pretty good result.

I got my new Dell U2412M yesterday and the first thing after ensuring it worked (built-in USB hub rocks) was calibrating it using my X-Rite i1Display 2 colorimeter and the Eye-Match 3 software. The monitor is connected to a GTX 275 in a dual-screen configuration with an Iiyama Vision Master 1451 CRT.

Factory calibration was pretty decent, with the colour level at 6512, or pretty darn close to the target of 6500. Gamma was already at 2.2, thus also perfect. RGB required a slight tweak, with oddly enough RG too high (a bit) instead of a massively overblown blue level as I see with TN panels a lot. In the end I got the monitor calibrated perfectly fine, although I will stick with 100 lm luminance instead of the (LCD recommended) 120 lm. 120 lm just feels way too bright.

The worst part about the default settings was the luminance at 357 lm (75%). After calibration to 120 lm the brightness level was set to 25% and power usage had dropped 2/3rds.

I haven't used the monitor a lot yet, but so far I'm pretty okay with it beyond my usual issues with LCDs (seeing the pixels due to relatively low PPI). I haven't noticed any blurring, dead (sub-)pixels or any obvious signs of banding or worse.

Not too shabby for my first desktop LCD, I think :)

I have this thing connected using display port. I decided to turn my GTX 670 from RGB to ycbcr444. The monitor adjusted itself automatically toYCBR as well This monitor can handle this color space but i had to tweak the gamma on the nvidia controls. I feel it looks much richer and the color saturation is very nice. Give it a try.

Haven't seen anyone that's debezeled this monitor successfully.. I'd have thought it was very similar to the u2312hm, with the floating box that needs to be fastened(via duct tape?)

Damn I wish I had seen that mount last week - bought something else for ~$50 less, and no where near as snazzy.

I'd love to see some pics of a quad U2412!

can you please post couple of pics, i really wanna see them. if you could take the pics while monitors are on that would be great. thank you

No problem I should have pictures posted by the end of the day!

Happy to answer any questions about the 4 monitors/performance/rack etc etc ask away!

Here is a picture of my setup.

Four U2412m's on the visidec quad mount linked here.

http://www.provantage.com/atdec-vfs-q~7ATDE01U.htm

Also using Diplayfusion to handle the taskbar on all 4 monitors.

Happy to answer any questions.

oDXve.jpg

Picture was taken with my iphone sorry not the best quality.

What would the best way to hook up an xbox 360 to these monitors? Hdmi to DVI? Hdmi to DP? or a vga dongle. Also if I go the digital route how do I get audio from the Xbox? Thanks!

hi all i got my 3 u2412m rev. a03 and wanted to know whats best way to go about calibrating them? i dont have any software or meters.

Hey guys I just ordered a U2412M monitor to go with my new computer build, it will be my first ever LED/LCD monitor. What will be the first thing to do? Calibration?

So how good is this monitor? I'm considering buying two for gaming.

It's probably one of the more popular monitors available honestly; I see lots of enthusiasts using it.

Personally I love it.. although my father got one himself and I think his looks significantly better then mine... some revisions may be better then others.. I'll try to remember to check mine and his

i hooked up a PS3 today and man it looked pretty good.. didn't look too stretched out or anything

Are there ways to just game on one of the screens if in a multisetup. Originally, I was set on a PLP setup but its just too expensive I saw a comment on someone saying that it shifts things around when switching to gaming on his central 30" and then going back to the desktop. Is this true?

Having multiple displays doesn't mean you have to use them all while gaming... Beyond that I'm not sure what you're asking, PLP doesn't work with EF at all.

Apologies, let me clarify. I only want to game on a single monitor. I would like a dual or more setup when I am not gaming. (1) In a multi monitor setup, is gaming as simple as firing up the game on the main monitor with a single or multi GPU setup. (2) I would like the GPU to be concentrating its power on a single monitor during gaming, hence, I would not like to have a picture on the side monitors, only when i switch back to the desktop - possibly with Alt+Tab. Is this possible/do current setups do that? The reason is I would rather have the GPU pushing 1920x1200 pixels to one display and not 3840x1200 on two displays or more when in fact I am just using one monitor (seems like power going to waste).

I have a question when i am using Dell U2412M. As most laptops don't have display port but HDMI, which one below should I use in order to get a better quality?
or they are the same?
some people told me the #2 is rare.. but I think rare is fine as long as it has a higher res/ better quality...

1. Laptop/ HDMI <-> DVI/ Dell U2412M
2. Laptop/ HDMI <-> Display port/ Dell U2412M

Thank you!

I have a question when i am using Dell U2412M. As most laptops don't have display port but HDMI, which one below should I use in order to get a better quality?
or they are the same?
some people told me the #2 is rare.. but I think rare is fine as long as it has a higher res/ better quality...

1. Laptop/ HDMI <-> DVI/ Dell U2412M
2. Laptop/ HDMI <-> Display port/ Dell U2412M

Thank you!

HDMI to DVI, the adapter that you would have to use for hdmi to dp would be expensive as hell. Where HDMI to DVI is merely a pass-thru.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah I bought this monitor and had the DVI to HDMI adaptor for use on my laptop. Works fine, very satisfied with purchase.

I'm sure it's not the monitor's fault, but Apple's new Mountion Lion doesn't like it when used in portrait mode. Under Lion it was fine, but with Mountain Lion, the image stutters like crazy with swiping between desktops. Landscape mode is fine. Very annoying.

Long time lurker here, first post. I currently have a 2208 wfp Dell monitor. The monitor has been great and there really isn't anything wrong with it, I just want something bigger. I've been thinking of going with the 2412m or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287 I'm also following the 27" Korean monitor threads. I would like to use the monitor for CAD and games for the most part. Is it worth jumping up to a 24 inch from 22 or should I go for 27?

Back