Dell U2410

You can also adjust Standard Mode from the Factory Menu. If the problem exists in other modes then it starts to sound more like a tint issue, but tint would likely be visible in Adobe mode too. Tint issues are pretty correctable if they affect the whole screen in a uniform way (IE the whole screen looks blue and not just a certain section of it). How does the screen look in Custom Mode? If it's blue, does the problem go away when you turn down the blue gain value in the Custom Mode settings? If it does that's a good sign that you can fix things by yourself. If it doesn't look blue at all then that's an even better indication, because that means the problem probably isn't tint issues, but rather that the colour temperature for certain modes has been set incorrectly at the factory. No harm in asking for an exchange. It's just, from experience, if it's fixable by yourself (which it sounds like it might be a possibility in this case) then you're better off trying to go that path first, before you subject yourself to the Dell panel lottery process.

Good luck :)

In Custom, lowering the Blue Gain seems to make colors go crazy before it actually eliminates the blue tint. And compared to my old Dell 2005FPW, the colors look cooler in all modes. I might as well start playing around with the Factory Mode settings just to see if it can fix anything, but I'm starting to think it might be worth taking a gamble and asking for a replacement. Worst case scenario is I pull the new one out of the box, it's even worse, so it goes right back into the box, and I keep using this original one until I eventually get a proper screen.

Thanks for the help. :)

I returned my U2410 about 8 times and all of them had tinting+backlight problems. Dell's customer service was topnotch but they couldn't really check on the monitors personally due to the monitors being located in a separate warehouse. They were speedy in that I would get the replacements in 2 days and sometimes overnight Regardless, after months of returning the monitor I just got tired of it and decided to stick with the latest one that they sent me, which also exhibited noticeable(but not severe) tinting and backlight bleeding... until I found a dead pixel earlier today.

The dead pixel definitely was not present until today since I've been stressing about the color tinting enough for me to constantly look over my monitor to reassure myself that "it isn't so bad". It's in the middle of where the monitor starts to get darker(to the right side of the monitor) so I definitely would've noticed it when I was painstakingly comparing it to the one I had previously.

Anyways, I was barely able to deal with, generously speaking, the minor tinting and backlight bleeding, so unfortunately, I'm going to have to start yet another journey in getting a monitor that doesn't have severe issues, at least compared to the one I have now. Wish me luck.

Chaps
could someone measure the dimensions of the base of the stand (i.e. the part that makes contact with your desk!).

Thanks,
Neil.

I can't believe it.

My u2410 is only 5 months old and I'm already getting some burn-in :eek: ... Anyone else?

It's on the top right side about 2 inches from the edge. A thin line about 3 inches long. It's where the SideBar starts.

I have always had the monitor set to power down after 5 minutes. Problem is, it doesn't kick in much because I'm using the computer all day.

I tried the LCD Conditioning. I let it run for about 30 minutes. It helped a little but it's still there.

I can't believe it.

My u2410 is only 5 months old and I'm already getting some burn-in :eek: ... Anyone else?

It's on the top right side about 2 inches from the edge. A thin line about 3 inches long. It's where the SideBar starts.

I have always had the monitor set to power down after 5 minutes. Problem is, it doesn't kick in much because I'm using the computer all day.

I tried the LCD Conditioning. I let it run for about 30 minutes. It helped a little but it's still there.

Image retention you mean (since burn-in is impossible on modern day LCDs)? Sounds like a fautly panel , contact Dell for a replacement.

Image retention you mean (since burn-in is impossible on modern day LCDs)? Sounds like a fautly panel , contact Dell for a replacement.

Yes, sorry ... Image Retention.

It's strange ... it doesn't show though with a white box. Light blue or grays show it best (like in the new Win-7 Microsoft Paint). Also, when the LCD Conditioning (Primary Colors) is running, it doesn't appear. The more I run LCD Conditioning, the better it gets (disappears).

I've moved my Desktop Gadgets to my (junker) secondary LCD monitor. If I end up moving them back, I will be sure to change Opacity from 100% to 80% or 60%. It seems it was the stock Calendar Gadget that caused it. I run it double tall (orange box and white box below).

I moved the lower Start Bar to the top to scan for IR there (below ... where it was) ... I couldn't find any.

The monitor has been very nice. I hesitate to call Dell for a swap because I'm afraid I will get a refurb.

Since I couldn't find any usable informations in this topic, I want to inform you that: Yes, the U2410 can actually work in 10 bit/color display mode!
I tested it with a FirePro V5700 and PhotoShop CS5. I could enable the "10-bit pixel format support" in the Workstation section of the CCC. After the reboot I lost Aero, but the 10 bit test image is smooth now.

Is there any other test which can confirm that the display works with 10 bit? (In case PS applied some kind of dithering trick instead...)
I want to use this 10 bit support for color managed HD movie playback. But it seems that EVR-CP with MPC-HC is still buggy and madVR doesn't support it yet...

Just ordered my u2410. Got it for $205 shipped, thanks to $350 in AMEX points and a 10% off coupon. Here's hoping it arrives in one piece and without any issues...

I found it when I was checking out. There is a "looking for coupon codes?" link right next to where you enter Dell coupons. I clicked it and it took me to a list of coupons where I found a 10% off on "Select Electronics and Accessories". Gave it a shot and it worked! Saved me another $60. The code is FMQLSTFF34SVV5 and I think it expires tomorrow.

Last edited:
Heads-up: the U2410 (Dell off-lease refurbished) is selling for $270 with code CJ0408$DF on dfsdirectsales.com.

With all the "problems" mentioned is this a good buy? Looking to purchase one of these.:confused:

I placed my order for a u2410 on the 30th. Hasn't shipped as of today and called customer service only to find out that they are on a 3-5 week backorder.

Last edited:
With all the "problems" mentioned is this a good buy? Looking to purchase one of these.:confused:

Most people are quite happy with these display's including myself. You can however get a bad one with tinting , there is no avoiding that fact. Dell is pretty great about returns though and there is no dead pixel bullshit to deal with as far as Dell is concerned either.

I recommend this monitor but be ready to deal with the possibility of getting one with a tinting issue. Other downsides are not so great contrast but overall I never found it lacking for movies , games or video/photo work. Its a great overall package and due to LG's lack of quality control you do have a chance on any E or H-IPS panel to get one with the tint issue.

But like I said , also Kyle has 3 of them and loves them. Nothing like a raining endorsement from the site owner :cool:

In regards to the PS3 having a problem connecting to this monitor over HDMI, this is negative. Just hooked it up today and it's perfectly fine. Video, sound, everything.

I wonder if the U2410 is the last 16:10 monitor that Dell will make in its size. They've already released 23" and 27" IPS monitors in 16:9. The latter is even 2560x1440 (instead of 1600) so it seems like they're really pushing 16:9 even beyond 1920 resolution, which is pretty sad.

I wonder if the U2410 is the last 16:10 monitor that Dell will make in its size. They've already released 23" and 27" IPS monitors in 16:9. The latter is even 2560x1440 (instead of 1600) so it seems like they're really pushing 16:9 even beyond 1920 resolution, which is pretty sad.

I think it has more to do with what's available on the market. They won't/can't use old panels on their new monitors obviously.

It does seem to be where the monitor market is trending. If 16:10 does go away in favor of the 16:9 standard, it'll be quite a long time before I upgrade all three of my monitors simultaneously (quite a wallet hit).

What about the Ps3 Slim problem with this monitor? I´m googling the problem but cant seem to find an exact answer.

I want to confirm that i will have no problem with mi PS3 slim CECH-2001A. Anybody knows?

It's kind of depressing that Dell doesn't have any deals for the U2410 this christmas season. Still going for $600 and none of the coupons will apply. I'm under the impression that most people here got their's for under $500 new. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

It's kind of depressing that Dell doesn't have any deals for the U2410 this christmas season. Still going for $600 and none of the coupons will apply. I'm under the impression that most people here got their's for under $500 new. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
In the past, Dell's 20% and 25% off coupons applied to the U2410. That hasn't been the case of late.

That's too bad. I can barely justify paying $100 more than the HP ZR24w, but not $200 more.

In the past, Dell's 20% and 25% off coupons applied to the U2410. That hasn't been the case of late.

That's too bad. I can barely justify paying $100 more than the HP ZR24w, but not $200 more.

The only reason I ordered a u2410 was because of the $350 Dell certificate I purchased with my AMEX card and the 10% off coupon that recently expired. Otherwise, I was looking at a cheaper monitor like the TN-based 27" Asus VK278Q. I have to wait for my 2410 (oos at the moment), but for $205 it's most definitely worth it.

So for a non-expert(?) in colors like myself who doesn't , and will never do, any photo editing so color accuracy is not a factor, but only plays games, surfs the net and reads a lot of files will all these "pink" issues really matter?

Will it be worth $500CDN:confused:. That's what its selling for in my computer shop.

So for a non-expert(?) in colors like myself who doesn't , and will never do, any photo editing so color accuracy is not a factor, but only plays games, surfs the net and reads a lot of files will all these "pink" issues really matter?

Will it be worth $500CDN:confused:. That's what its selling for in my computer shop.

For a gamer/web surfer who has no need for color accuracy the u2410 is a very good choice, albeit a relatively expensive and unnecessary one. For the price of the 24-inch u2410 (or even cheaper) you can get a 1080p 27-28" TN-based LCD that will have less input lag, approximately the same resolution and IMO a more immersive experience due to the large screen. Even if you don't want to go 27", you can get a very good TN-based 24" for ~$300 and be just as happy. Spend the money you save on food and the rent/mortgage - or if you are like me, more crap for my PC :)

Sadly, there aren't many 24-25" TN-based LCDs that comes in the 16:10 ratio resolution of 1920x1200.

What about the Ps3 Slim problem with this monitor? I´m googling the problem but cant seem to find an exact answer.

I want to confirm that i will have no problem with mi PS3 slim CECH-2001A. Anybody knows?

I was very concerned about this myself, as I have a two-month old PS3 Slim 320GB. In the end I could only find one person who'd actually had this problem; all of the other posts about the issue just referred to his posts.

I took the plunge and it works perfectly. I can't guarantee it'll work for you but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Back