Dell U2410

It's $449 with Dell EPP atm. Use coupon C70B$G36TSVVCH to get 10% off with the already $100 discount going on. Has free shipping too. HTH!

wow sorry I missed that EPP, going blind :)

Got it down to 475.00, does it get any lower then that or should I just submit :p

Got my U2410 today. Its Rev 04 Made in Dec 2010. No dead or stuck pixels everything looks great. Paid $499 for it...

According to Dell they are only up to Rev 02.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19359760/19807536.aspx

Posted by DELL-Chris M
replied on 6 Jan 2011 10:14 PM

I only know of A00, A01, and A02. Where are you seeing A05?

Posted by DELL-Chris M
replied on 10 Jan 2011 2:07 PM

Update - The A05s your seeing in other regions were given that number change due to non-hardware related changes made at the factories in those regions. The latest hardware revision is A02.

So what does all this mean?

How is this in sRGB mode? I wouldn't be using the monitor for any photo editing, just everyday use, is it worth getting since I'd be using is the sRGB mode only?

i use the monitor for everyday use, movies , games and the preset i only use is sRGB and i'm very satisfied :)

i want to buy a calibrator any suggestions?

@ lancelot48

It means that somebody with an A04/05 labeled hardware should check the firmware version. Could somebody do it, please?

how do u check firmware version? dont care anyway as my monitor doesn't have any issues at all/ it could be A000000000000000 FOR ALL I CARE

i use the monitor for everyday use, movies , games and the preset i only use is sRGB and i'm very satisfied :)

i want to buy a calibrator any suggestions?

I'm a color obsessed photographer, and I can personally testify that a perfect affordable calibrator for this monitor is the Huey Pro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485807-REG/Pantone_MEU_113_HueyPRO_Colorimeter.html (theyre on ebay for $68 new)

Also... I recently got a refurbished Rev. A03 manufacture date November 2010 with the same 3 year warranty as the new ones. Its spectacular. Zero backlight bleeding, bad pixels, or dithering. Fantastic contrast, tonal range, and response times. However... I need to sell it. I shouldn't have spent so much $ on a monitor when there are other things I need more at the moment.

Anyone want to buy it for 475ish shipped? I'm selling it on Ebay (or I'd prefer to directly invoice you via paypal, I can provide my ebay info for validation)

Message me if you want it, since Dell seems to have jacked the price back up back to $550.

Last edited:
What is this monitor like in game mode? Are there features and/or functionality that you forego to run it? It looks like a great monitor, but I'm interested in running it in game mode 24/7 for the reduced input lag.

I just got the A04 I ordered last week and the ISP tool thing says the firmware is M1f1a

Thanks. My A02 reports M1f193, so it looks it's different.
Why Dell denies the existence of a new firmware? Or why did they change both the hardware Rev and the firmware version if nothing changed?

I'm a color obsessed photographer, and I can personally testify that a perfect affordable calibrator for this monitor is the Huey Pro

Uhumm... or NOT. Except if you use it with ArgyllCMS and a custom correction matrix.
The Huye is completely useless for this display with it's bundle software. :p

I got a question though. There is no obvious tinting on my screen but when I change it to sRGB it looks like it has a more greenish tint compared to Adobe RBG or any of the other settings for that matter. I like Adobe RGB more because it makes my games look more vibrant but is the greenish look of sRGB a bad calibration or is it a problem with the monitor? Well it's not really that greenish it just seems more flat and not as bright which makes it seem slightly green at least to me.

Here I took a pic with my crappy camera with SRGB on the left and Adobe on the right. Is there a problem?

dsc09951e.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I registered to post in this thread after lurking for a while. I decided to go ahead and buy a Dell U2410 (from PCBUYIT, REV A05) and got it today. Forgot how nice 1920x1200 was, running it from my MacBook Pro 15" mid-2010 which is only 1440x900.

I have no dithering, panel issues or the like from what I can tell. No dead pixels either. HOWEVER I do have an issue with the OSD buttons. The button above the power button is very unresponsive, regardless of how much pressure is used to push it. It glows when my finger is near fine but its just unresponsive and frustrating. The other buttons are much more responsive. Any advice or solutions? or should I just call Dell on the issue? Replies greatly appreciated!

I got a question though. There is no obvious tinting on my screen but when I change it to sRGB it looks like it has a more greenish tint compared to Adobe RBG or any of the other settings for that matter. I like Adobe RGB more because it makes my games look more vibrant but is the greenish look of sRGB a bad calibration or is it a problem with the monitor? Well it's not really that greenish it just seems more flat and not as bright which makes it seem slightly green at least to me.

Here I took a pic with my crappy camera with SRGB on the left and Adobe on the right. Is there a problem?
It's normal. However it's possible that the temperature was slightly out during the factory calibration, which would potentially make it look a bit more green than normal.

The U2410, being a wide gamut display, has to emulate the sRGB gamut. Despite the fact it does an ok job, it still looks a bit more washed out when doing it, compared to the other modes. sRGB mode also uses the onboard LUT, which means you don't see things like dithering whilst it emulates sRGB. Unfortunately Dell do not give 3rd party calibration utilities access to this onboard LUT to calibrate sRGB or Adobe mode yourself, so you're stuck with what they give you in those modes.

The sole solution would be to put the U2410 in its Innolux Factory menu mode test mode, then turn down the green value for the sRGB preset. Remember that it's normal for sRGB to look a bit more "green" than Adobe mode, so don't over correct. However, if it's really bugging you, I would certainly bump down the green value a little.. Just make sure you note down the value BEFORE you change it, so you can go back if you really have to.

Sorry but what green tining? i see none whatsoever,
It's not green tinting. It's the colour temperature of white. In some modes, like sRGB, white may be a bit more green compared to other modes. If you look at a full white background and change modes you might see what was being referred to. If you don't then don't sweat it :)

I have no dithering, panel issues or the like from what I can tell. No dead pixels either. HOWEVER I do have an issue with the OSD buttons. The button above the power button is very unresponsive, regardless of how much pressure is used to push it. It glows when my finger is near fine but its just unresponsive and frustrating. The other buttons are much more responsive. Any advice or solutions? or should I just call Dell on the issue? Replies greatly appreciated!
The buttons aren't pressure sensitive.. they're capacitive touch. If you touch the exit button (the one above the power) it's normal that it won't respond for another 2 seconds or so after you touch it. It's only used to bring up the menu and exit anyway, so normally you shouldn't need to touch it much. But if it's consistently not responding it sounds like it could be a hardware problem..

The buttons aren't pressure sensitive.. they're capacitive touch. If you touch the exit button (the one above the power) it's normal that it won't respond for another 2 seconds or so after you touch it. It's only used to bring up the menu and exit anyway, so normally you shouldn't need to touch it much. But if it's consistently not responding it sounds like it could be a hardware problem..
That makes sense, as now it works fine a majority of the time but I just need to deal with the slight delay compared to how instant the other buttons are.

Watched The Dark Knight in 1080p last night and it looked spectacular. The blacks were as some reviewers said, not very deep but still fine. Gaming is as responsive as ever but I did notice the yellows in some games were a bit, washed out I think? I'm about ready to purchase a calibration tool and edging towards the Spyder 3 Pro. I'm going to be doing Photography at University so that's a huge priority, then movies and games. If you guys could recommend any similar priced (£90 or so) alternatives I'd gladly consider.

why must u buy calibration tools? there should be easy to do on the monitor yourself if you look in the monitors settings

It's normal. However it's possible that the temperature was slightly out during the factory calibration, which would potentially make it look a bit more green than normal.

The U2410, being a wide gamut display, has to emulate the sRGB gamut. Despite the fact it does an ok job, it still looks a bit more washed out when doing it, compared to the other modes. sRGB mode also uses the onboard LUT, which means you don't see things like dithering whilst it emulates sRGB. Unfortunately Dell do not give 3rd party calibration utilities access to this onboard LUT to calibrate sRGB or Adobe mode yourself, so you're stuck with what they give you in those modes.

The sole solution would be to put the U2410 in its Innolux Factory menu mode test mode, then turn down the green value for the sRGB preset. Remember that it's normal for sRGB to look a bit more "green" than Adobe mode, so don't over correct. However, if it's really bugging you, I would certainly bump down the green value a little.. Just make sure you note down the value BEFORE you change it, so you can go back if you really have to.

Yea the color temp was the solution I changed it in the factory settings and it looks fantastic. Thanks

Does anyone know what we would use as our "Member ID" for the Dell EPP? I tried using my ID for Dell Premier and that didn't work. I have the monitor at $440.10 and am going to pull the trigger.

Just purchased a new U2410 from Craigs List in Vancouver. It was built in August 2010 and purchased in Sept. Has all the receipts and is unopened. Its an A02 and he sold it for $350CDN, no taxes.

Anyway I have two questions:

1. Do I have to transfer the Warranty into my name or will it just go by the S/N.
2. How do you turn the damn unit off. Every time I shut down the Computer the monitor shows an "orange/yellowish glow at the power button (doesn't shut off).
My U2311 turns off completely.

BTW the U2410 is an awesome monitor. All the arguments about 16:9 vs 16:10 is just that, arguments. My U2311 looks puny next to the U2410 when reading documents and surfing the web.

Where the U2311 really shines is Console gaming. Where Halo:Reach looks natural on the 16:9 monitor it appears stretched on the U2410.

Don't know what to do with the 2311. I purchased it for $199 (Christmas, six hour deal on Dell) and will be a pity to sell. Might just use it as a Console gaming monitor.

Another con. I hate the 2410 touch controls. They are erratic compared to the 2311 buttons.

Hello,

As for U2711, I have a question for those who use this screen with (mini) DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection.
Once plugged and audio sent through DisplayPort, is it possible to adjust volume settings on the source (a Mac for instance) ?

I know that if you connect a screen using DisplayPort to HDMI connection, volume control will be unavailable from the source.
TS3520----mul.png

Thank you for your help !

Paul

I'm about ready to purchase a calibration tool and edging towards the Spyder 3 Pro. I'm going to be doing Photography at University so that's a huge priority, then movies and games. If you guys could recommend any similar priced (£90 or so) alternatives I'd gladly consider.
Well, I wish it was as simple as that. The problems are actually fairly simple to understand, but take some time explaining..

The problem with calibrating the U2410 is that all of the modes, except for sRGB and Adobe mode, have strange things going on with their brightness gamma curves. Dell have basically attempted to tune the curves in the different modes for various purposes like "movies" or "games". The problem is these curves are set by the monitors firmware and you can't actually access the curves to adjust them. This leads to problems..

When you buy a calibration device they mostly expect you to be calibrating to a gamma curve value of 2.2 on a standard colour gamut screen (sRGB). On the U2410, outside of Adobe and sRGB mode, its various modes aren't 2.2. They're closer to 1.8-1.9 with different brightness curve adjustments for the different modes. Because of these "customized" movie/game/etc curves, calibration equipment can struggle more to get good results when they try to create a 2.2 curve. In then end the calibration device will tell you that it's accurately calibrated the screen, but they'll often do that by introducing things like visible banding in images. So they actually make the image quality worse, then tell you your colours are accurate! That's nice, but it's useless since you actually expect to look at the screen with your eyes, rather than look at a calibration graph made by a plastic calibration puck!

What's sad is the U2410's hardware can do far more, because it's already doing it in its Adobe and sRGB mode. These modes are calibrated to a 2.2 gamma curve and use the monitors internal hardware colour LUT (look up table) to allow accurate colour calibration without annoyances like visible banding. Unfortunately Dell have not made anything available which allows anyone but the U2410 factory equipment to calibrate the screen using the U2410's hardware LUT device. This means nobody can calibrate the U2410 as well as Dell, in terms of both producing accurate colours and avoiding visible artifacts from this process. This will only change if/when Dell either themselves, or via a third party, give access to calibration software which can access the U2410's on board LUT.

Probably partly to save time at the factory, Dell only calibrate to a Delta E of < 5, where an end user could take more time, and should easily be able to produce an average less < 2. So a home user could produce better results than the Dell factory - If Dell gave people a solution which allowed an end user to calibrate their screen using software which can access the onboard LUT. But, as I've already explained, they don't presently do this.

Beyond this, the only mode which allows you to directly adjust its settings, Custom Mode, also doesn't make use of the onboard LUT. This means, when you go to fine tune colours, by using the Hue controls, visible banding will start to occur if you go outside of about a 4% adjustment in any direction (Below 48 or above 52 on the actual settings). Effectively it is impossible to produce a 2.2 curve using only the monitors controls in Custom Mode. The closest you can get is around 2.0-ish.

All this is before we even get into the really messy area of Wide Gamut devices, and how most calibration devices on the market today aren't suitable for Wide Gamut displays. Some people have reported they are happy with the results devices like the Spyder 3 give them when using a wide gamut display. However there are as many who say it doesn't produce good results, or that the quality control is very variable on devices at this price meaning some are good and some aren't so good. The problem is the alternatives which might be more suitable ( such as the Quato Silver Haze Pro, which can apparently generically correct for wide gamut lighting like the U2410 uses, or maybe the ColorMunki Photo ) tend to cost 2 or 3 times the price, and that's with appropriate software (yet another area of discussion!). Plus, at the end of it all, you're still going to struggle to avoid things like visible banding because of the strange curves Dell used in the various other modes. This has led some to go into the factory menu, turn the sRGB/Adobe values up to 255, and attempt to calibrate sRGB or Adobe mode (which provides a more normal 2.2 curve) using a wide gamut compliant calibration device. It then makes adjustments as you normally would, which is via the graphics card using the calibration software.

What you're left with is a situation where, unless Dell makes or licenses someone to produce something which can access the U2410's onboard LUT, most users are probably just better off using the provided sRGB and Adobe modes. Where adjustments might need to be made, whether because the factory mode colour temperature looks wrong, or because your back light yellows with time (usually making things more green-ish looking) I would just compensate for this by looking at an all white background and making small adjustments to the RGB values in the monitors Factory menu (always noting down what the settings are before any changes!). I fyou really need to calibrate, in order to do things like match a printer better, then you'd need to understand the likely visual compromises which will occur when doing this, as well as the difficulties most calibration devices and software has when it comes to properly calibrating the U2410.

Bit long winded, but if you've read it all maybe you'll understand the situation a lot better :)
HTH

That was very impressively explained, PatK.

I'd like to reiterate that in a monitor like the U2410, full use of the colour controls is important to avoid shade loss with calibration. In the case of Dell monitors, the controls are fairly primitive (RGB gain) and the factory gamma is approximately 1.8. Furthermore, the "Custom" image mode is reportedly very problematic.

Dell obviously needs major improvement in their colour controls for future monitors. The U2410 already receives factory measurement so there must be a good opportunity to create OSD parameters for gamma and colour temperature like Eizo does effectively, even in their cheapest Flexscan models.

Nothings ever that simple eh? Very informative post, thank for you for taking the time! I only wish I had read this before buying the Spyder 3 Pro. I just did my first calibration and the colour pop is great, banding is noticeable like you said however. I kept it on Standard as some recommended but I'll try the other modes, Custom does tend to look pretty bad compared to the other modes!

I'm going to spend some time experimenting with the calibration, saving profiles and seeing which one will work the best. It does look warmer than my MacBook Pro's screen, which I'll also calibrate to match if I find a satisfactory profile that doesn't band like crazy.

Hey Everyone, been a few years since ive been on here. I've had my 2408WFP since launch and now I think its time to go new. I've seen the U2410 for, it seems, a few years now and I was expecting Dell to have a new 24" UltraSharp by now. Seems thge U2410 is still going strong. I'm going to wait until a Canadian sale comes up and will likely by it. Has anyone heard of any intel on whether Dell with be making a newer 24" UltraSharp anytime soon? The U2410 is already as Rev05, usually the end of a production series.

Ya seems a lot of the Rev A05 are coming from the UK from the people I've seen get them. Could be a localization thing who knows

A02 is the last revision that had any hardware changes. The newer revisions are just firmware changes.

Is this really worth spending $500 for games / movies? I am not a heavy photographer and would mainly be using it for the occasional game, movies and spreadsheet work. I was leaning towards a TN model initially but I love how this looks. But then I saw a lot of 24" non IPS lcd's were $130-200.

Please let me know your input

Is this really worth spending $500 for games / movies? I am not a heavy photographer and would mainly be using it for the occasional game, movies and spreadsheet work. I was leaning towards a TN model initially but I love how this looks. But then I saw a lot of 24" non IPS lcd's were $130-200.

Please let me know your input

Honestly, I wouldn't get it for $500. I returned mine about 10 times before I got one that was satisfactory, and even then it's not "perfect" and has backlight bleeding and coloring tint issues. The color tinting is VERY noticeable and white backgrounds.

I decided to bite the bullet because I got mine for $360 shipped. Any more than that and I would say it's not worth it. However, you might not care or notice these issues as I do, since I study art and color issues stick out like a sore thumb to me.

For less than $500, it's a good monitor to watch movies on and games are good as long as you don't mind the slight input delay. Just be mindful that it can be a gamble and you might end up with a horribly tinted display.

I think the newer ones have no problems at all.. I have the a05 versions purchased in DEC 2010.. I think they were made in Czech(what it says on the box).. I have absolutely no issues with them that I've been reading about and the color is fantastic

Last edited:
Back