Dell U2410

Tinting is much worse I say, I don't even notice the anti-glare sparkle all that much at all - and at least it's uniform. If I'm reading left justified text on a light background my eyes instantly recognize that the region is ever so slightly 'colder' / more blue/green than the rest of the display. Personally I don't notice the pink at all, perhaps my tinting isn't as bad as others.

Is anyone having issues with the audio stuttering when using display port and using the monitor's audio out? HDMI audio out is fine when using a PS3, but my computer stutters

I spent almost an entire week reading reviews and multiple forums deciding which would be my next monitor as I formerly had a 2007WFP monitor. All the professional reviews highly praised this monitor but I read here and in some forums some bad reviews and experiences with this monitor. Being quite happy with my 2007WFP and knowing DELL warranty I decided to buy this monitor knowing that actually it is the best 24" monitor right now in the market and if any problem came then I would use the warranty. I also read some stories about DELL delays in shipping but read this: I ordered this monitor last Saturday, pay for 2-day-shipping and wait. On Sunday I received and email telling me the monitor had shipped and on Wednesday morning the monitor arrived to my home! The matte coating is almost unnoticeable and not as present as with the 2007WFP. I use my monitor for basic use (MS Office and Internet) but also for PS3, PC gaming and watching movies. The movies come alive with this monitor rivaling my Sony XBR4 46" display, colors are sharp, accurate and soft. It such a visual experience. Playing ModernWarfare2 in this beauty is a whole new experience and I experienced no lag at all, is as fast as my former TN monitor and way faster than the 2007WFP. Overall a superb monitor and even a big improvement over the mighty 2007WFP. I couldn't be more happy.

two quick questions to U2410 users:

1. For movie watching (DIVX, DVD or BD) which is your preferred mode? The obvious choice should be "MULTIMEDIA" but some how I find the "WARM" mode better?

2. What would be the implications to use this monitor with Windows but in MAC mode and not in PC mode?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dell outlet currently has these for $399. Im currently thinking about picking up 3 of them for Eyefinity. Any thoughts, think its a bad idea to go with refurbs of these?

*Edit* according to http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/why_dell_outlet?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb , a refurb warranty is the same as a new warranty, so the refurb should be good for 3 years as well. Don't know if that changes the situation.

If you look at the bottom of the refurb monitor page it clearly states all refurb monitors come with 90 day warranty.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/peripherals/monitor/ct.aspx?refid=monitor&s=dfh&cs=22

I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE STILL BUY THIS MONITOR. ARE YOU MAD OR LOVE REPLACING THIS THINGE VERY 5 MINUTES?

@jonneymendoza: What the hell are you talking about? Replacing it every 5 minutes? Even if that crazy idea was true there is your warranty with DELL. Don't come to this forum speaking BS about the monitor. God! I just couldn't forgive myself If I listened to the few bad reviews about this great monitor and didn't buy it. Tell me just one overall 24" monitor better than this one. Just one:

Hey guys, long time lurker. I just received my u2410 and I have to say it is awesome! So far I have not seen any discoloration or dead pixels. The screen coating doesn't stand out or bother me, and the out of box calibration easily beats my few year old gateway FPD2275w that i calibrated. I haven't gotten to do much yet, but so far this monitor is a definite keeper.

Popped into the factory menu and saw there were a few hours on the screen already as others have posted. I am an electronics tech and out company makes high end digital audio equipment. Our multichannel recorders usually leave with at least a weeks worth of run time on the clock because we burn them in good to be sure there are no problems. So I am sure that Dell does the same with the monitors and I have no issues with it.

Mike

Hey guys, long time lurker. I just received my u2410 and I have to say it is awesome! So far I have not seen any discoloration or dead pixels. The screen coating doesn't stand out or bother me, and the out of box calibration easily beats my few year old gateway FPD2275w that i calibrated. I haven't gotten to do much yet, but so far this monitor is a definite keeper.

Popped into the factory menu and saw there were a few hours on the screen already as others have posted. I am an electronics tech and out company makes high end digital audio equipment. Our multichannel recorders usually leave with at least a weeks worth of run time on the clock because we burn them in good to be sure there are no problems. So I am sure that Dell does the same with the monitors and I have no issues with it.

Mike

I think the run time on these is just from the calibration time and testing that is done at the factory.

So I think I decided to buy this monitor.

Should I be happy with it for pc and ps3 gaming and blu ray watching?

@jonneymendoza: What the hell are you talking about? Replacing it every 5 minutes? Even if that crazy idea was true there is your warranty with DELL. Don't come to this forum speaking BS about the monitor. God! I just couldn't forgive myself If I listened to the few bad reviews about this great monitor and didn't buy it. Tell me just one overall 24" monitor better than this one. Just one:

no teh question you should be asking is WHAT THE HELL are 9/10 people talking about tinting issues and about to send off their 3rd YES 3rd replacement display?

Thats what you should be asking mate.

You know it has been mentioned before. 5 people buy something and 1 person has a problem...the 1 person with a problem is more likely to post about it than the 4 that had no issues.

Mike

You know it has been mentioned before. 5 people buy something and 1 person has a problem...the 1 person with a problem is more likely to post about it than the 4 that had no issues.

Mike

I agree. People are more likely to report a negative experience than a positive one. Yes several people have issues with this monitor, but you have to remember the people on this forum tend to be alot pickier and tend to notice small issues that the average buyer would not notice.

That said, the u2410 I had didn't have any tinting issues or any other problems. I just thought a 24" lcd was too big for my needs. I now wished I would have just kept it.

I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE STILL BUY THIS MONITOR. ARE YOU MAD OR LOVE REPLACING THIS THINGE VERY 5 MINUTES?

Cool capslock story bro. Seriously chill out , if you don't like this monitor fine but believe it or not the majority of people that buy this monitor don't have any issues with it and are very happy with it.

No monitor is without problems .. so unless you have something useful to add.

I'm trying to get one of those refurb U2410's but everytime I add it to my cart it tells my my shopping cart is empty is anyone else getting this?

I'm trying to get one of those refurb U2410's but everytime I add it to my cart it tells my my shopping cart is empty is anyone else getting this?

Just tried it and it did the same thing to me. So I logged in to my dell account and then added it again and this time it showed up.

I did that too. Then you get past that page and when you click pay with etc etc it says your cart is empty..

Figures. So by the time I get it to work they will be out of stock....

Cool capslock story bro. Seriously chill out , if you don't like this monitor fine but believe it or not the majority of people that buy this monitor don't have any issues with it and are very happy with it.

No monitor is without problems .. so unless you have something useful to add.

Look mate i want to buy an IPS monitor. i want to upgrade from my 22inch dell 2005fpw which has served me well but all i keep reading is tinting this refurb that.

I've bought this monitor about 2 months ago, and no tinting issue what so ever. I'll probably have to send it to warranty, but for 2 other reasons. One is the mount, don't know why the monitor doesn't stay aligned horizontally when in landscape mode, has about 1 or 2 degree's of inclination, in portrait mode is ok. The 2nd reason is because if I push the lcd near the lower bezel in the center, it moves a little to open a gap between the bezel and the lcd, so the lcd maybe isn't well mounted there.

Other than that it's a great monitor and I'm already thinking in buying a 2nd one to substitute the HP w2207h I have on my dual setup.

For those of you buying Refurbs, could you please report back here with your opinions?

Normally I'm fine with Dell laptop refurbs, but I'm concerned that the U2410 refurbs might be the bad ones (tinting problems) that everyone here is returning.

Sort of an off topic question, but how far away should our eyes be from this 24" monitor?

I use my kitchen counter as a desk, so it's not very deep (at all). Before buying a monitor I'm wondering what size I'm really best off with.

EDIT: Maybe I should be more specific here... I'm torn between the 24" U2410 and the 22" 2009WA. This will be for general use and photo editing -- but no games. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
teh question you should be asking is WHAT THE HELL are 9/10 people talking about tinting issues and about to send off their 3rd YES 3rd replacement display?
Thats what you should be asking mate.
We live in a world where most people, who own TN panels, don't even notice the extremely obvious colour shift unless you point it out to them. So if you think that most people are going to notice tint on the U2410 you're wrong. Dell know this, and that's partly why they've chosen to ignore the problem. So, although it is a common problem (how common is open to question - in my case 2 out of 5 U2410 displays had tint problems - the other 3 were free of the issue) most people simply won't notice it.

If someone goes through a lot of screens purely because of tint then they've either been pretty unlucky or they're simply expecting too much from Dell and should look at more expensive NEC or Eizo screens where the customers are more demanding of quality and gradation uniformity etc.. The fact is the U2410 is probably still the best screen in its price class, provided you're happy to live with the wide gamut and don't mind the anti-glare coating. There's now a viable cheaper alternative in the form of the HP ZR24w, however it appears you trade a higher risk of tint gradation issues for a screen which lacks some of the U2410's features, has marginally poorer viewing angles (more IPS glow), appears to suffer more issues related to backlight bleed, and where the apparent lack of lighting controls means it must be left at 100% contrast if you want to tune it properly. So, if you can avoid a U2410 with tint, it appears to be a better screen in several regards.

Thus it's wise to keep some context in your remarks.. Yep, there's problems with some U2410's. Yep, if you're sensitive to image quality and can't afford NEC/Eizo you might have to try more than one panel to get something you're happy with. However, when you do that, you get an extremely good screen which should keep you happy for the next few years.. If you're going to make silly statements like "OMG Why are people buying this" then it's best to list alternatives within the same price region which have significantly less issues and are of equivalent image quality. The closest you could get, that I'm aware of atm, is the HP ZR24w, which (as I said) appears to come with some of its own disadvantages.. If NEC want to half the price of the PA241W then I'd be the first to tell people to get that instead :)

Sort of an off topic question, but how far away should our eyes be from this 24" monitor?

I use my kitchen counter as a desk, so it's not very deep (at all). Before buying a monitor I'm wondering what size I'm really best off with.

EDIT: Maybe I should be more specific here... I'm torn between the 24" U2410 and the 22" 2009WA. This will be for general use and photo editing -- but no games. Any suggestions?

I think you will be fine with the 24". Without looking up the numbers i would say the 24" is comparable to the 22" as far as pixel density, so it is just a matter of more screen at a particular distance. I have been using this screen from 10" to 36" and I don't have any issues. That being said, I think 16-20" is probably a good average distance to view the screen from.

Mike

Look mate i want to buy an IPS monitor. i want to upgrade from my 22inch dell 2005fpw which has served me well but all i keep reading is tinting this refurb that.

Almost every monitor thread has its ups and downs , look at the HP ZR24w thread and for pages you see praise then all the sudden you see page after page of talk about its very weak contrast... this is typical of any monitor thread , there is almost always complaints.

Yea Dell dropped the ball with the tinting issue with this panel but I'm glad I took the risk , its an amazing monitor that really very few in its price range can compete with in its total features. I understand if people are put off and don't feel like risking exchange.

I think you will be fine with the 24". Without looking up the numbers i would say the 24" is comparable to the 22" as far as pixel density, so it is just a matter of more screen at a particular distance. I have been using this screen from 10" to 36" and I don't have any issues. That being said, I think 16-20" is probably a good average distance to view the screen from.
Thanks Mike!

Been reading through this thread and my head is about to explode. I have 2x 2405FPWs that I want to replace and was looking at the U2410 or the SP2309W. I know those are two totally different monitors but my main concern is sharpness and that the panels look as close as possible. I don't play games and I only occasionally watch video. It's mostly email, many remote desktop connections and Word/Excel and web stuff. I bought a Spyder 3 and going to calibrate whatever I get.

Does the card reader on the U2410 support SDHC for the SD cards? How about UDMA on the CF reader?

I have 2x 2405FPWs that I want to replace and was looking at the U2410 or the SP2309W.
Have you considered the 2209WA? I've been torn between the U2410 and the 2209WA, but after reading a ton of personal reviews I'm wondering if the 2209WA might be the safer bet.

Going from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 would irritate me. :p

I'm mostly interested in screen real estate. If I didn't need VGA I would get a pair of the 30" displays.

Been reading through this thread and my head is about to explode. I have 2x 2405FPWs that I want to replace and was looking at the U2410 or the SP2309W. I know those are two totally different monitors but my main concern is sharpness and that the panels look as close as possible. I don't play games and I only occasionally watch video. It's mostly email, many remote desktop connections and Word/Excel and web stuff. I bought a Spyder 3 and going to calibrate whatever I get.

Does the card reader on the U2410 support SDHC for the SD cards? How about UDMA on the CF reader?

SD slot is SDHC, there is no CF reader.

Mike

Almost every monitor thread has its ups and downs , look at the HP ZR24w thread and for pages you see praise then all the sudden you see page after page of talk about its very weak contrast... this is typical of any monitor thread , there is almost always complaints.

Yea Dell dropped the ball with the tinting issue with this panel but I'm glad I took the risk , its an amazing monitor that really very few in its price range can compete with in its total features. I understand if people are put off and don't feel like risking exchange.

Have Dell fixed the tinting issues now with brand new models? You say monitors have its ups and downs well how come my dell 2005fpw never had such issues that were widespread?

Have Dell fixed the tinting issues now with brand new models? You say monitors have its ups and downs well how come my dell 2005fpw never had such issues that were widespread?

it did have its issues, just search for "2005fpw issues" in google. no monitor is without its faults. i went from a 2005fpw, to a 2209wa, and now i have a u2410. i can confidently say the u2410 is the best one so far.

Dell isn't responsible for the issue , LG is . Its a common problem for ips panels they develop it seems and U2410 isn't the first ips panel from them to suffer from it by a long shot.

However Dell is taking a shitty stance and saying that the tinting defect is par for the course and they won't do direct exchanges because of it. You can though just lie and say you have a couple of dead pixels and likely get another panel from them in turn.

The 23 inch NEC everyone loves around here has tinting issues , the older HP 24 inch ips had far worse tinting problems then either the NEC or the U2410. I believe the tinting defect is more a overall manufacture problem because H-IPS panels are considered the TN of the ips world. They were developed to cut cost and be more "green" buy cutting power requirements down so as far as ips panel production is concered they aren't as cherry picked as higher end previous model ips panels.

The newer HP doesn't seem to suffer from the tinting issues but it has other issues of its own .. you get what you pay for in the end.

All I'm saying its a risk with any panel and I didn't mind the risk with the U2410 because it was still the most attractive ips panel in that price range in my mind.

i went from a 2005fpw, to a 2209wa, and now i have a u2410. i can confidently say the u2410 is the best one so far.
How so? In what ways is the u2410 better than the 2209wa?

My wife uses my old 2005fpw (it's awesome) and I'm torn between the 2209wa and the u2410, so your input would be appreciated.

After a lot of thought, debate, and forum reading of the pros and cons of multiple makes/models, I decided to go with a refurb U2410 from the Dell Outlet.

Combined with the lower price and "same as new" warranty, my past experience with the UltraSharp line won out in the end.

Dell isn't responsible for the issue , LG is . Its a common problem for ips panels they develop it seems and U2410 isn't the first ips panel from them to suffer from it by a long shot.

However Dell is taking a shitty stance and saying that the tinting defect is par for the course and they won't do direct exchanges because of it. You can though just lie and say you have a couple of dead pixels and likely get another panel from them in turn.

The 23 inch NEC everyone loves around here has tinting issues , the older HP 24 inch ips had far worse tinting problems then either the NEC or the U2410. I believe the tinting defect is more a overall manufacture problem because H-IPS panels are considered the TN of the ips world. They were developed to cut cost and be more "green" buy cutting power requirements down so as far as ips panel production is concered they aren't as cherry picked as higher end previous model ips panels.

The newer HP doesn't seem to suffer from the tinting issues but it has other issues of its own .. you get what you pay for in the end.

All I'm saying its a risk with any panel and I didn't mind the risk with the U2410 because it was still the most attractive ips panel in that price range in my mind.
So who produced my current 2005fpw monitor then because all i want is a bigger version of that with hdmi

Back