Dell U2410

One thing that's kind of annoying is that the screen itself is recessed probably 1/4 inch or so from the bezel, and so the Win7 taskbar looks like it's a 3-D shelf for the icons, lol.

Something I love about this monitor is its spartan design; on my desk it's at lowest height, and its clean, matte black bezel, blends into the desk area and makes the information on screen the focal point. The blue power-on LED is far down in the corner enouhg that you don't notice it. I do wish the Dell logo was a tad less shiny, though.

Great stand, too. Zero wobble as I'm typing (I'm heavy on the keys), and very little wobble even when I accidentally strike the desk hard with my knee now and then.

Guys, question about my video card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400) and which cable to use for my U2410...

I was hoping to use HDMI, but according to the specs page it looks like HDMI can only do up to 1920x1080.

Is this true? And if so, which type of cable should I use instead?

Here's what it says:

# Two integrated DVI display outputs
* Primary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI)
* Secondary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)1 or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)
* Each includes HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for maximum resolution playback of protected content2

# Two integrated DisplayPort™ outputs
* Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x1600
* 1, 2, or 4 lanes per output, with data rate up to 2.7 Gbps per lane

# Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
* Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x1536

# HDMI output support
* Supports display resolutions up to 1920x1080
* Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 kHz stereo or multi-channel (5.1) AC3 supporting Dolby Digital or DTS, enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution

So, which type of cable am I best off with?

Thanks!

Does your notebook have more then one digital output ?

Because most of them has only DVI or only HDMI. That's probably lot more limiting than Del U2410 inputs.

Does your notebook have more then one digital output ?

Because most of them has only DVI or only HDMI. That's probably lot more limiting than Del U2410 inputs.
The laptop is a Sony Vaio FW190 and it only has VGA and HDMI. That's it.

Last edited:
Maybe I should put this another way...

Since it looks like I (unfortunately) can't use HDMI, how much worse will the U2410 look with VGA than it does with HDMI?

Obviously I should have looked into this deeper BEFORE ordering the U2410, but I seriously thought I would be able to use HDMI with 1920x1200. :(

Maybe I should put this another way...

Since it looks like I (unfortunately) can't use HDMI, how much worse will the U2410 look with VGA than it does with HDMI?

Obviously I should have looked into this deeper BEFORE ordering the U2410, but I seriously thought I would be able to use HDMI with 1920x1200. :(

Unless your laptop is limited to 1080p you should have no problems with 1920x1200 over hmdi. HDMI will support up to 1920x1200.

Unless your laptop is limited to 1080p you should have no problems with 1920x1200 over hmdi. HDMI will support up to 1920x1200.
Well, I thought my laptop's HDMI could handle 1920x1200... but I looked up the exact specs this morning for my ATI Radeon HD 3400 video card and it said "HDMI output supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080"

I feel like an idiot. I just assumed my laptop would handle 1920x1200 over HDMI, but apparently not. Unfortunately it looks like VGA is the only way my laptop/video card can output 1920x1200.

So my question now is, how bad will the U2410 look with VGA?

Thanks.

Was originally going to go for this, but the price tag in Canada is far too high! $699! :p

Saw the 2209WA.... and planning on buying it real soon. I just wish it had 1:1 pixel mapping for my PS3.

But oh well, the stretch isn't that bad!

I also think 24" might be a bit much for my desk and XFX 5770, hah.

I doubt you will notice much of a difference with VGA vs DVI vs HDMI vs DP.

If I use a LCD monitor with a VGA plug, yes I can see the difference. It doesnt look clear.

DVI and HDMI, I cant tell the difference.

720p vs 1080p on 46" HDTV I cant tell the difference.

720p vs 1080p on a 92" projector screen, got difference.

VGA quality varies, while digital formats like DVI, HDMI and Displayport do not. The VGA hardware in a PC or laptop may be high quality or low quality (and these days, they are often low quality as vendors often cut corners on cheap VGA hardware). The VGA hardware in a monitor might be high quality or low quality. If either side is low quality, you'll be able to see the difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI. If both sides are high quality, VGA can approach DVI/HDMI quality to the point that you won't notice. The advantage of digital formats like DVI, HDMI and Displayport is that they either display 100% image quality or don't work at all.

Well, I thought my laptop's HDMI could handle 1920x1200... but I looked up the exact specs this morning for my ATI Radeon HD 3400 video card and it said "HDMI output supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080"

I feel like an idiot. I just assumed my laptop would handle 1920x1200 over HDMI, but apparently not. Unfortunately it looks like VGA is the only way my laptop/video card can output 1920x1200.

So my question now is, how bad will the U2410 look with VGA?

Thanks.

Don't look at the specs just connect it with HDMI and check yourself if 1920x1200 will be working or not.Only thing you risk is buying $5 hdmi cable if you don't have any in house.

Worst case scenario you will need to use VGA but i honestly can't notice picture quality diffrence on my display beetween dvi and vga connection (dvi is only more convienient with always centered image etc).

The advantage of digital formats like DVI, HDMI and Displayport is that they either display 100% image quality or don't work at all.
Yep, I totally understand, and I was planning on using HDMI. But if the HDMI output from my laptop has a max res of 1920x1080, I'm screwed.

Don't look at the specs just connect it with HDMI and check yourself if 1920x1200 will be working or not.Only thing you risk is buying $5 hdmi cable if you don't have any in house.
I have an HDMI cable sitting here ready to go.

Worst case scenario you will need to use VGA but i honestly can't notice picture quality diffrence on my display beetween dvi and vga connection
Really? Ahhh... thank you! Here's why I was so concerned: If I can only use VGA, and if VGA looks like crap, I wanted to return the monitor BEFORE OPENING IT to possibly avoid a restocking fee.

I have mine hooked up via a DVI-to-HDMI cable through the ThinkPad dock. Looks great. When I tried it via the VGA port (which is the only port my T400 has non-docked), I was displeased with the output. It was fuzzy and even with a tight connector it flickered quite a bit.

Well, I guess I'll have to open the box and hook it up and see what happens. I was trying to avoid having to open the box (just in case) but it looks like I won't know for sure until I do.

Hmm altrough as someone mentioned quality of vga output in laptop is a question. I used vga output only on high quality gpus like 970 pro 2900 pro gtx 260.

Also if your hdmi turn out to max at 1920:1080 then you should still be able to run monitor with black borders.

And remember that the problematic part is laptop so returning u2410 and buying another 24" 1920x1200 display won't change anything.

And remember that the problematic part is laptop so returning u2410 and buying another 24" 1920x1200 display won't change anything.
I was torn between the u2410 and the 2209WA, so it's the 2209WA I would get if I return the u2410.

Looks like I may have chosen wrong.... :(

Hey guys, the U2410 has arrived. It's HUGE! Almost too big, I think it will take some getting used to (to be honest). The good news is that the HDMI cable does work. Hooray! :)

What settings are you guys using for:

1. Preset Mode ?
2. Brightness ?

Thanks!

Hey guys, the U2410 has arrived. It's HUGE! Almost too big, I think it will take some getting used to (to be honest). The good news is that the HDMI cable does work. Hooray! :)

1. Preset Mode ?
2. Brightness ?

Thanks!

sRGB, 100 brightness, 70 contrast

1. Preset Mode ?
2. Brightness ?

Thanks!

Glad to hear it works for you.

Really? Seems kinda bright, no?

Anyone else have a recommended setup?

Me too! ;) Actually I discovered that HDMI alone was shutting off the sound for some odd reason. Luckily I had an HDMI-DVI adapter which solved the problem. (I don't understand why it did, but it did)

You need to go under sound options under the control panel. When you connect an hdmi cable it may be switching the audio to that device. Just set the device you want as default.

Really? Seems kinda bright, no?

Anyone else have a recommended setup?

Me too! ;) Actually I discovered that HDMI alone was shutting off the sound for some odd reason. Luckily I had an HDMI-DVI adapter which solved the problem. (I don't understand why it did, but it did)

Not for me; my eyes may be overly sensitive, but anything below 100 looks too dim. :)

So far my brightness is 9 and the calibrator reads ~120 cd/m. The contrast so far is 50. I have of course ran it through a calibration and that tweaked the picture a little and looks even better :)

Mike

1. Preset Mode ?
2. Brightness ?

Thanks!

sRGB, 30 brightness 50 contrast.

Are you guys still having the tinting issues?????
I returned one already but I'm still willing to give this monitor another shot if I feel this issue has been corrected to some degree.

haven't noticed tinting on mine either. you can set your screen to display either white or grey to see if there's a noticeable red/green.

So how good is this monitor compared to my legendary dell 2005fpw

I have a 2005fpw, I returned 3 U2410 and am back to using my 2005fpw now...:rolleyes:

I was amazed at the U2410's picture and brightness compared to my aging 2005fpw. However I just could not live with the tinting issues on 2/3 of mine. The only good one developed a dead pixel after a week.

With that being said, the tint issue wasn't really apparent in a multimedia environment (Starcraft 2 looked awesome on it). However I spend lots of time surfing/programming/office work and the tint was quite apparent and annoying in those situations.

Might this be a way to get Game mode response times and lower input lag with sRGB colors:

Normally when you change the preset mode from sRGB to Game mode the screen goes blank for a few seconds. Presumably some processing is turned off and some on at this point.
However, when the display is in Game mode and you just select the sRGB mode without confirming it, that is, just move the highlight from Game to sRGB and wait for the menu to disappear, the screen doesn't go blank but the colors change to sRGB.

When you check the preset menu after doing so, it shows that sRGB is selected. If, however, you now "press ok" the screen goes blank for a few seconds and the sRGB mode is "properly" turned on.

I don't know if this is somehow not recommended but the colors seem correct and the response quicker.

Back