Dell U2410

I think this is the sRGB dithering issue. I think graininess refers to the anti reflective coating of the monitor? Am I right on this?

Is this monitor 1080 full hd? I notice they dont list that anywhere in their link.

The vertical resolution is 1200. There are three scaling options, Fill, Aspect, and 1:1. It can handle a 1080p image just fine.

Hmm, TFT central didn't test the input lag using the game mode setting. Quite disconcerting.

Yeah, it is strange they didn't use game mode. In the review, they used the Standard, Custom, and sRGB presets. They point out an average 33.8 ms input lag. According to this Cnet review, the average input lag for sRGB mode is 31 ms. Cnet also tested that average lag under game mode, which was only 14ms. That is pretty good.

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm

Last edited:
I'm coming from a Dell 2005FPW, like user "niknakk," and wondering how this U2410 compares (if at all) with the 2005FPW? There's talk about this U2410 having a "grainy" panel. Like "niknakk" before me, I too wish to know how if the 2005FPW has a "grainy panel," b/c like him I don't see (or notice) it.

For color, the 2005FPW has oversaturated reds (pure red is almost neon red) and greens (VERY neon green). What about the U2410? Same deal? Is it better or worse? Would be very, VERY sad if the 2005FPW still - after being on the market for 4 years now - triumphs against this new and "improved" 24" model.

Like others here, I too am also curious about comparisons between this and the HP 2745w.

my 2005fpw (not-hardware-calibrated) has perfect colors for me (nothings oversaturated)..

i might get this u2410 and do my own 'average consumer' in-depth review, n comparison with the 2005fpw :)

Hmm, TFT central didn't test the input lag using the game mode setting. Quite disconcerting.

Yeah they have the Dell U2410 listed at 33.8 ms. Perhaps they were not aware of the gaming mode feature?

input_2.jpg

I got my replacement u2410 today and it's flawless. Zero stuck/dead pixels, menu buttons work...it's great!

Are they supposed to send me another box or a fedex label to ship the busted one back? I've gone through the contents of the 2nd box and there is nothing.

The wording in the tftcentral review about calibration was a bit ambiguous. Can you calibrate the displays LUT directly like on the nec2490wuxi?

Are they supposed to send me another box or a fedex label to ship the busted one back? I've gone through the contents of the 2nd box and there is nothing.

Check the label on the box the new unit shipped in. It is probably one of those 'ez labels' that tears off with the return label underneath.

So if I had to buy a monitor that will be used for Compositing, visual effects, photoshop, 3ds max, after effects and Some games should I buy

this monitor or the HP LP2475w

The wording in the tftcentral review about calibration was a bit ambiguous. Can you calibrate the displays LUT directly like on the nec2490wuxi?
no hardware LUT. it's a software LUT

lol, well it's the closest thing to it anyways. Black is black as far as I can tell. If I turn the monitor off it's as black as that :)

If you turn the monitor off it's as black as that? That's the biggest BS i have ever read on this forum :D

Look, U2410 has a black point of around 0.20cd/m2. That is far from black and looks grey actually. Having owned 3 plasmas over the years, i really know how important real black is for the picture quality. First one had a black point of 0.15cd/m2 and that had a pretty washed out black. Second one had 0.04cd/m2 with a noticeable bigger "pop" to the picture. The third one i own now, has 0.0005cd/m2 and "pop" like no screen i have ever seen. :)

Just wait till OLED comes with it's perfect black point. Everyone will be blown away.

Yeah, had a new Zune for a few days. Contrast was sick. My 3G touch and 2007WFP look like crap now. :-(

Still, if this panels anything like the Panasonic H-IPS LCD TVs of last year, the contrast, color, and general "pop" will be a noticeable improvement from our 200x S-IPS.

I'm fearful that my second u2410 will have issues, in 2004 it took me like 3 tries to get that perfect 2005FPW.

I got my replacement u2410 today and it's flawless. Zero stuck/dead pixels, menu buttons work...it's great!

When did you order your replacement? I ordered my replacement on 9/22, but mine has not been shipped yet.

Dell exchanged my 2408WFP w/ a U2410 after going through three 2408WFPs w/ different problems. So far so good w/ the U2410.

Also just got a SP2309W and it's also a very nice monitor, but it has a dead or stuck pixel that's bugging the heck out of me.. Now I can't decide which one to use as my primary monitor. The U2410 w/ its superior colors or the SP2309W w/ its greater resolution.

Probably a dumb question, but when I was messing around in the U2410's menu, I went into:

Menu -> Color Settings -> Input Color Format

and tried changing it from "RGB" to "YPbPr" just to see what would happen. Well, when I did that the screen turned all pink and I think some green and some other color for a couple of seconds until I changed it back.

Did that harm the monitor in any way?

Is the color gamut exactly the same as the HP LP2475W? Dell lists it as 110%, but then TFT describes it as 102%.

I've been looking at getting a newer calibration device for this monitor, along with my older 2007wfp IPS monitor I have. I've search on here and it seems that the best device in my price range is the X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2. Is that right? Is there anything better for around $150-$200?

Hm, so Dell's calibration is just fluff, and the monitor is severely off proper gamma and colour temperature... Plus there's the whole dithering thing which will require a firmware update.

And when a firmware will appear the only way is to send the monitor back and to receive a new one. It's posible to flash new firmware at home like for mb, video card, etc ?

Hm, so Dell's calibration is just fluff, and the monitor is severely off proper gamma and colour temperature... Plus there's the whole dithering thing which will require a firmware update.

Hardly a fluff. Gamma is 2.1 in that test. Color temperature is 5682. I say there is something wrong with the testing equipment. Believe me, i would notice if the color temperature was that cold on my screen. Just look at the calibration report from Dell, it shows totally different results. Maybe LaCie's Blue Eye Pro colorimeter is no good for this 110% gamut screen.

Hey guys, I wrote in to TFTcentral about the U2410's input lag and they actually responded back!

Here is their updated review on the U2410 complete with input lag benches.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

14.4 ms average input lag in game mode. Yeah this monitor's response time looks good for gamers as well.

Hardly a fluff. Gamma is 2.1 in that test. Color temperature is 5682. I say there is something wrong with the testing equipment. Believe me, i would notice if the color temperature was that cold on my screen. Just look at the calibration report from Dell, it shows totally different results. Maybe LaCie's Blue Eye Pro colorimeter is no good for this 110% gamut screen.
Sorry, the default 1.7 gamma stuck in my head, I didn't look at the graphs properly. However, 5682 is warm, not cold ;)

sRGB still has neon reds...

So if I were to buy a monitor next week would you guys recommend the Dell U2410 or the HP LP2475w

Probably a dumb question, but when I was messing around in the U2410's menu, I went into:

Menu -> Color Settings -> Input Color Format

and tried changing it from "RGB" to "YPbPr" just to see what would happen. Well, when I did that the screen turned all pink and I think some green and some other color for a couple of seconds until I changed it back.

Did that harm the monitor in any way?

So this didn't hurt or damage the monitor in any way?

Dell exchanged my 2408WFP w/ a U2410 after going through three 2408WFPs w/ different problems. So far so good w/ the U2410.

heya islndboi...did u have to request to swap/change to the u2410, or was that offered to you by the Dell person..
im in a similar situation. I have just returned my dell 2408wfp due to issues with it, and have been wanting to see if dell would let me trade it up for the new u2410..

i'd like to hear more from you thanks. maybe you can pm me as well:)

When did you order your replacement? I ordered my replacement on 9/22, but mine has not been shipped yet.

The 21st after 5pm so the order wasn't placed until the 22nd.

Check the label on the box the new unit shipped in. It is probably one of those 'ez labels' that tears off with the return label underneath.

Yeah I tried that, there was nothing. I called them and they're sending me a label to ship the old one back.

So if I were to buy a monitor next week would you guys recommend the Dell U2410 or the HP LP2475w

The Dell U2410 is reported to have an acceptable sRGB mode, so that you can avoid major wide color gamut issues. It's not possible with the HP 2475.

Hi, I´ve had my U2410 for just under a month now so I thought I´d add my opinion of the monitor.

So far I´m extremely pleased with it. I haven´t had any issues with dead pixels or anomalies on the screen. Text is crisp and colours, after testing the different modes and finding what I liked, are perfect. I had to tweak the contrast/brightness to my liking as the contrast seemed a bit harsh at first. I did notice some grain, especially as I was coming from a Sony CRT, but after 2 days I completely got used to it and now I don´t notice it at all. There is some white glow near the edges but is only apparent when the screen in on a totally black background.... and if you stop to notice it. So, basically not a problem for me.

I haven´t tried much in the form of gaming but so far I haven´t noticed any difference with my CRT, so I can only say if there is lag, it hasn´t been noticeable... but don´t take my word for it. The thin beveled edges of the monitor reflect the screen, but I also got used to it very quickly and it´s not an issue any more. The touch sensitive buttons on the right side are cool but sometimes slow to respond... although that could be because of my fat fingers! :D I did have a problem with the base or specifically with the arm of the base that wasn´t aligned correctly, leading the monitor to not be 100% horizontal by 1cm/0.4". I spoke to Dell tech support and apparently this is a common issue. Since then, I´ve read some solutions in this thread that have worked a charm and now the monitor is perfectly horizontal. I still think Dell´s quality control should not allow this to happen or for the monitor to leave the factory with such a careless mistake by their technicians. Still, it was fixed easily and doesn´t affect the quality of the screen itself.

Overall, I´d definitely recommend this monitor and if they ever make a 30" version I would consider upgrading.

Dell came out with 3008WFP long ago, it's a IPS panel too. go upgrade ;)

Hi, I´ve had my U2410 for just under a month now so I thought I´d add my opinion of the monitor.

So far I´m extremely pleased with it. I haven´t had any issues with dead pixels or anomalies on the screen. Text is crisp and colours, after testing the different modes and finding what I liked, are perfect. I had to tweak the contrast/brightness to my liking as the contrast seemed a bit harsh at first. I did notice some grain, especially as I was coming from a Sony CRT, but after 2 days I completely got used to it and now I don´t notice it at all. There is some white glow near the edges but is only apparent when the screen in on a totally black background.... and if you stop to notice it. So, basically not a problem for me.

I haven´t tried much in the form of gaming but so far I haven´t noticed any difference with my CRT, so I can only say if there is lag, it hasn´t been noticeable... but don´t take my word for it. The thin beveled edges of the monitor reflect the screen, but I also got used to it very quickly and it´s not an issue any more. The touch sensitive buttons on the right side are cool but sometimes slow to respond... although that could be because of my fat fingers! :D I did have a problem with the base or specifically with the arm of the base that wasn´t aligned correctly, leading the monitor to not be 100% horizontal by 1cm/0.4". I spoke to Dell tech support and apparently this is a common issue. Since then, I´ve read some solutions in this thread that have worked a charm and now the monitor is perfectly horizontal. I still think Dell´s quality control should not allow this to happen or for the monitor to leave the factory with such a careless mistake by their technicians. Still, it was fixed easily and doesn´t affect the quality of the screen itself.

Overall, I´d definitely recommend this monitor and if they ever make a 30" version I would consider upgrading.

Dell came out with 3008WFP long ago, it's a IPS panel too. go upgrade ;)

I think I should have said...... "if I could afford a 30" version I would consider upgrading"! :D

30" would be nice... but I think 24" is probably the most practical size.

I think I should have said...... "if I could afford a 30" version I would consider upgrading"! :D

30" would be nice... but I think 24" is probably the most practical size.

Actually It does not have a working sRGB mode, and it has other issues too. Hopefully they will do better on the next round. I think a lot of us would pony up the bucks if they can ever get it right.

Dave

AFAIK, the 300x all have S as opposed to H-IPS matrices which means worse black levels and less color pop.

Actually It does not have a working sRGB mode, and it has other issues too. Hopefully they will do better on the next round. I think a lot of us would pony up the bucks if they can ever get it right.

Dave

the tiny squabbles only affect those of us that decide that we want to use sRGB mode..

im certain i read somewhere else that the U2410 has a "Custom" mode, allows you to also manually adjust r-g-b levels, that do not have any problems associated with the sRGB-dithering issue.

I'm on a dell 2005wfp(IPS) using a "Custom" mode for the past several years and it still beats the crap out of other TN monitors that cost less.

i still say the U2410 is the monitor for anyone that wants a consumer IPS monitor (nec's wuxi will be 'professional-IPS' range).

there's no other out that can compete for performance vs price. keep in mind, there is no perfect-monitor-solution otherwise there will be no competition anymore. the whole world will have only one monitor everywhere.

there's simply still not enough bad points about the U2410 to make people that want a "budget" IPS 24inch monitor for them to pass it up and say no.

Anyone ever check the input lag on the Dell 2005 or 2007 models that use an S-IPS panel? The 14ms of this new 24" seems pretty good and I'm just wondering what to expect coming from the 2007WFP.

there's simply still not enough bad points about the U2410 to make people that want a "budget" IPS 24inch monitor for them to pass it up and say no.

What about the "graininess" issue that I've heard about? I think that would drive me nuts. Does that affect only a limited number of U2410 displays, or is it a weakness inherent to the U2410? Same question for the pink/green tint issue.

Back