Dell U2410

Just got my U2410 hooked up about 30 min ago and I have no complaints like I've seen from other people thank God. I'm coming from a Dell 2007FP that I've used for years, before that a 2001FP. Here are my initial thoughts:

1) I couldn't believe how big this thing in, wow this is awesomely huge!

2) The first thing I checked for when I powered it on is the light bleed peeps have been talking about on the sides and/or corners, I put it on several black screens to check for this and see none at all! I don't think it's just because I'm not noticing it either because I had a 19" Sony for a couple weeks that had that issue and I traded it a couple times for that same issue then eventually got a refund it bugged me so much, but I do NOT see any clouding or light bleeding on this one it's perfect in that respect thankfully!

3) The colors and all the factory settings actually look just fine to me, think I'm gonna leave it as is. Viewed some photos, played a quick game, and watched some video clips and a HD movie clip and everything looked wonderful.

4) Did some dead/stuck pixel checks, can find none.

5) My base appears to be straight unlike others who mentioned theirs appeared to be tilted a bit.

6) Text appears to be sharp to me as does everything else, don't see any blurriness or fuzziness that I have seen some people mention.

7) I do not notice the dithering talked about above in the gray areas, maybe because I'm not sitting right up next to it looking for it.

8) The blacks seem black and the whites seem white, don't see any pink/green hues etc, looks very good.

So in the short time I've had it, I'm blown away and very happy with it, I give it a 10/10 so far, of course over time there may be something I find wrong with it like I usually do as I'm very critical with things especially monitors and TVs but right now I'd say I got a perfect one and would highly recommend this to anybody.

Does anyone have any more info on the Gamma option in the menu? There's an option for PC and Mac, I'm just wondering what the Gamma setting is for the Mac option (as I'm using this with a Mac). I'm also on Snow Leopard, which has a different gamma setting (2.2) compared to previous OS releases (1.8). I assume the Mac setting is for 1.8 gamma?

On the calibrator topic, I have a Colorvision Spyder 2 calibrator that I got several years ago...would that be usable with this monitor, or do you need a more recent one?

The Spyder2 doesn't support wide-gamut displays (Spyder3 does). It *might* work OK if you ran the screen in sRGB all the time, but a Spyder3 or eyeOne-2 would be much better.

rezonat0r: Thanks for the info about the gamma. I used a (borrowed) Spyder 3 calibrator on the Dell prior to checking the result on the lagom site, but that doesn't seem to have made a great difference. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does it mean to "hardware calibrate" the display?

Ah, when I said "hardware" I just meant with a colorimeter like the Spyder. It's really hard to calibrate a screen by eye, because the human eye is *extremely* adaptive.

So you're saying that after you calibrated the word 'lagom' on the viewing angle test still didn't blend in very well? That's odd. Did you have the Dell in Standard or sRGB mode? I just calibrated with my Spyder3 and got excellent results, I'll make a new post below with the profiles.

Does anyone have any more info on the Gamma option in the menu? There's an option for PC and Mac, I'm just wondering what the Gamma setting is for the Mac option (as I'm using this with a Mac). I'm also on Snow Leopard, which has a different gamma setting (2.2) compared to previous OS releases (1.8). I assume the Mac setting is for 1.8 gamma?

Yep, that's what I would think as well. Thank FSM Apple finally switched to 2.2 by default in 10.6. So leave the Dell on PC. That Mac/PC option is finally (mostly) obsolete.

Here are the profiles. Spyder3, 2.2 Gamma, native white point, OS 10.6. One for the Dell in Standard Mode, one in sRGB mode.

What I found is that in Standard mode (on my unit at least) the gamma is pretty off, as I thought. It's much, much better and less washed out looking with the profile. Lagom viewing angle test looks perfect now.

The Dell's sRGB mode is a different story. It is very close to accurate, at least gamma-wise. That confirms what their "calibration sheet" says. So there's not much before and after difference with the profile in sRGB mode.

I didn't bother profiling the AdobeRGB mode yet. I think it's better to start with the "real" panel (i.e. Standard mode), profile that, and color manage everything else without any questionable effects from the AdobeRGB preset getting in the way, considering what sRGB mode does in terms of dithering.

Anyway, here is the ZIP with both profiles.

So you're saying that after you calibrated the word 'lagom' on the viewing angle test still didn't blend in very well? That's odd. Did you have the Dell in Standard or sRGB mode?

Yes; it was after calibration. But, it was in Custom mode after I had tweaked the saturation values to look more like sRGB on the NEC. So maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe I should have calibrated first and then tweaked the values.

Thank you very much for sharing your color profiles; I will try them tonight. Now, Standard mode is wide-gamut, right? I've only used calibrators a couple of times and need more experience with them. I was hoping to see something in the software that offered an option for making an sRGB profile, or selecting a gamma, but didn't see that option. I really don't need or want the wide-gamut and just want to end up with a nice accurate sRGB display.

Yes; it was after calibration. But, it was in Custom mode after I had tweaked the saturation values to look more like sRGB on the NEC. So maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe I should have calibrated first and then tweaked the values.

Other than the backlight (brightness in this case) you shouldn't change anything post-calibration as that would defeat the purpose.

Yes, Standard mode is wide gamut, and should be similar to the colorspace of the other similar panels (like the HP).

http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

There appears to be a Dell Home Electronic and Accessories coupon 15% off. I tried it at the home store on the U2410 and it doesn't appear to work. Anyone else try this?

In other news, the 2408WFP is now down the $449. U2410 is still up at $599.

Excludes monitors. My bad.

Last edited:
Got the monitor today!

Unfortunately monitor didn't make me WOW.

1. Very good viewing angles.
2. No color changing horizontally like 2408wfp
3. Very little white glow in left bottom corner - next to none.
4. The biggest problem is the grainy screen.
5. Whites are better than 2408wfp and blacks are ok nothing to worry.
6. Backlight is much uniform than 2408wfp.
7. No pink hue/tint like 2408wfp

Can you post some pics to illustrate the graininess effect? Do other owners have the graininess as well?

Have any of you that have recently purchased the U2410 upgraded from a 2209WA?

I'm currently using a 2209WA, and the only real issue I have with it is horizontal color uniformity, which seems to be present on every 2209WA.

I'm considering upgrading for the larger native res/larger display size, but I'm not really sure it's wroth the cost. If anyone who has owned both displays could compare them, that would be really great, as I'm sure a lot of other current 2209WA owners are considering purchasing this display also.

Thanks.

So I was considering "upgrading" the the U2410 from my A02 2408WFP, but the "graininess" issue some are reporting are making me think that I should wait for A01 or A02 of the U2410 before upgrading.

If the A01 or A02 reversions are purely firmware and not panel/coating. The "grainy" issue will still be there. Its a characteristic of matted IPS...

Last edited:
Got the monitor today!

Unfortunately monitor didn't make me WOW.

1. Very good viewing angles.
2. No color changing horizontally like 2408wfp
3. Very little white glow in left bottom corner - next to none.
4. The biggest problem is the grainy screen.
5. Whites are better than 2408wfp and blacks are ok nothing to worry.
6. Backlight is much uniform than 2408wfp.
7. No pink hue/tint like 2408wfp

He Rosh,
Could you make some pictures of your black in a dark room?
I would like to compare with mine.
:)
Thanks!!

Could you elaborate more or take some pics to show the graininess of the screen?

I cant capture it on my camera. Its something like if you have dust on you screen. Some pixels are light and others are dark. Not crystal clear. 2408wfp dont have this problem. This is the only problem i see here on U2410. But its kinda annoying sometimes though specially on light (white) backgrounds. But still text are readable 100% with no problem.

I would post some pics later

He Rosh,
Could you make some pictures of your black in a dark room?
I would like to compare with mine.
:)
Thanks!!

I went through ur pics and mine is also like that. However i'll post some pics in the evening when here is dark enough. BTW doesnt the graininess bother you?

All non-glossy LG IPS panels have a grainy anti-glare coating except for the first-generation H-IPS panels. I don't know why they brought it back.

I went through ur pics and mine is also like that. However i'll post some pics in the evening when here is dark enough. BTW doesnt the graininess bother you?

I saw some pictures on the internet from U2410 that gave a perfectly black background, and as I also watch movies on it (wich always have black adges due to 16:10), I am not happy with the light corners. Second, my monitor is not straight on the stand., I measured it and it is 4-5mm out of the horizontal line, realy frustrating. So I called dell and they will replace my monitor with a new one since it is only 1 week old. I will get it in 3 days, so lets hope it has no lightning bleed in the corners. If its not better I will just keep this one:p

Umm.. I don't care the gaininess, so that is no problem for me.:)

I may buy one of these, but I have some questions and would appreciate an answer from you fine folk :)

1. I own a Dell 2407WFP, which I bought for $1200 Canadian back in 2006. Will this be a significant upgrade? I love my Dell 2407WFP, find it to have great viewing angles, great colors and no ghosting/lag/input lag. I wish I could just buy a second one, but buying "used" always worries me.

2. I live in Canada and I have never been able to find Dell Coupons, where can I look for Dell.ca coupons?

3. I read something about "grainy" look. Is this just a bad 2410, or is this something all these LCD's have? Will I really notice it when compared to my 2407, which has no "grain" (that I am aware of)?

4. How is Dell's return policy on LCD's with problems? My current Dell had no issues so I never experienced it.

Thanks.

Just got mine, I have a blue-ish tint on the left and a red-ish tint to the right. Should I return the thing or wait a while?

Just got mine, I have a blue-ish tint on the left and a red-ish tint to the right. Should I return the thing or wait a while?

What are you waiting for? If it has the tint and you're unhappy with it because it's noticeable, do an RMA.

Just received mine as well and i found a stuck pixel near the bottom right. Should I run JscreenFix to try and reset that pixel?

Edit: Its stuck, not dead, if i can see shades of green and red right? If i move my head left to right on a black background I can see it changing colors from red to green and vice versa.

Last edited:
Just received mine as well and i found a stuck pixel near the bottom right. Should I run JscreenFix to try and reset that pixel?

Edit: Its stuck, not dead, if i can see shades of green and red right? If i move my head left to right on a black background I can see it changing colors from red to green and vice versa.

Stuck pixels can be fixed. Try using the software to unstick it.

Does that software that flashes different colors really fix stuck pixels? I've tried that on every monitor I've had that has had a stuck pixel and it has never worked.

Just wanted to update after using this thing for 2 days I still have yet to find anything wrong with it. Everything looks wonderful, I see no graininess, everything is nice and clear, no tinting anywhere, and I still don't see any light bleed at all on a black background, it's perfectly black. I still have it at factor RGB settings and like it this way. Tried some other modes but this one seemed best. I give this badboy a 10/10 I love it!

Just curious... why aren't there more pics in this thread? Are people afraid of posting their new monitor online or something? seriously..... : /

My Dell U2410f was delivered yesterday. Dell said it would take 5-7 days, and I received it in 3. I have noticed NONE of the issues raised here by folks. So far, I have reduced the brightness quite a bit. It is incredible. My wife said, "Wow, yours is big..." She never said that to me before...

My son and I are PC gamers. ('FPS' - COD-WaW). This IPS panel keeps up with the action. I just have to get used to literally turning my head a bit to cover all the screen real estate! Talk about a nice problem to have... Can you spell 'TOTAL IMMERSION'? :)

I previously had a Dell 20" #2001FP(loved it), which my wife is now using.

Last edited:
Btw. won't using the sRGB mode in color managed apps. look desaturated? Or is the gamut reported by EDID updated when you change mode? If not, how would you correct it?

I may buy one of these, but I have some questions and would appreciate an answer from you fine folk :)

1. I own a Dell 2407WFP, which I bought for $1200 Canadian back in 2006. Will this be a significant upgrade? I love my Dell 2407WFP, find it to have great viewing angles, great colors and no ghosting/lag/input lag. I wish I could just buy a second one, but buying "used" always worries me.

2. I live in Canada and I have never been able to find Dell Coupons, where can I look for Dell.ca coupons?

3. I read something about "grainy" look. Is this just a bad 2410, or is this something all these LCD's have? Will I really notice it when compared to my 2407, which has no "grain" (that I am aware of)?

4. How is Dell's return policy on LCD's with problems? My current Dell had no issues so I never experienced it.
Thanks.

1. In sRGB mode it should be fairly similar. The 2407WFP was Dell's previous best 24", and the U2410 in sRGB mode should give you as accurate, if not more accurate colors. The only places the U2410 should be better is in side angle viewing, which is S-PVA panel weak point, and the 2407WFP is an S-PVA.

2. Red Flag Deals has them. Right now this monitor is steep in Canada at $750. My 2709W was $599! You can always try chatting with them too.

3. Can't comment, but lately LG panels are more grainy than Samsung panels. The U2410 has an LG panel, the 2407WFP is a Samsung.

4. It should be good. I think it comes with the "perfect panel" guarantee/warranty. You can pretty much return it for any defect and they will send you a brand new one within 21 days, or a refurb afterwards.

After running the test for about an hour, the stuck pixel isn't going away. Should I try and get an exchange?

According to this link, replacement units are not factory calibrated and I do not have any equipment to calibrate it myself.

Should I keep running the JScreenFix or just get a replacement? Is there any way I can argue for a brand new unit since it is within 21 days?

After running the test for about an hour, the stuck pixel isn't going away. Should I try and get an exchange?

According to this link, replacement units are not factory calibrated and I do not have any equipment to calibrate it myself.

Should I keep running the JScreenFix or just get a replacement? Is there any way I can argue for a brand new unit since it is within 21 days?

Yes, your are allowd to ask for a new one since its under 21days. All new monitors come with factory calibration report.

Yes, your are allowd to ask for a new one since its under 21days. All new monitors come with factory calibration report.

Just an update, got off the phone with dell and they said they will be shipping a brand new one to replace. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens and then will take pics when I get it!

Just an update, got off the phone with dell and they said they will be shipping a brand new one to replace. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens and then will take pics when I get it!

Jeeze, the more I read about this monitor in this thread, seems best to wait for the first revision ? Too many issues and Dell willing to replace so easily does not sound good for early adopters ?

Just wanted to update after using this thing for 2 days I still have yet to find anything wrong with it. Everything looks wonderful, I see no graininess, everything is nice and clear, no tinting anywhere, and I still don't see any light bleed at all on a black background, it's perfectly black. I still have it at factor RGB settings and like it this way. Tried some other modes but this one seemed best. I give this badboy a 10/10 I love it!

People tend to only post when something's broken, so like you I'll briefly post that I got a seemingly perfect monitor. No stuck/dead pixels, no obvious backlight bleed though I haven't tested in a dark room. I'm coming from a 20" CRT and I'm surprised how good the blacks look on this monitor. I'm happy with it.

I understand what people are referring to with the graininess, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, my 60" SXRD TV has a similar screen coating and unless I'm really close to it and move my head it's barely noticeable.

Jeeze, the more I read about this monitor in this thread, seems best to wait for the first revision ?

No. You are kidding yourself if you think any amount of revisions will 'fix':

1. possible LG panel uniformity problems
  2. the matte coating (if it bothers you)
  3. possibility of dead/stuck pixels
  4. white glow (if it bothers you)

One thing that a later revision *MIGHT* improve is the dithering seen in sRGB mode. However, as Dell ships every screen with a piece of paper making a big deal out of how "tight" sRGB mode is, I really have to assume that they actually tested this mode, are aware of how it performs, and find it acceptable.

I ordered this baby and will be making some comments too when I get it. Been happy w/ my LG 246 but been experiencing image persistence lately which annoys the hell outa me.

Back