Dell U2312HM

I'm looking to replace my aging and dim LG monitor and this Dell looks like a great replacement. Any idea how often new monitors go on sale? Since it was recently released I can't imagine Dell having a sale on these any time soon.

The U2412M went on sale within a month or so of it's launch.

Here is a link to a coupon code I took advantage of to purchase my 2 U2312HMs instead of waiting for a potential sale. I figure if it goes on sale within 21 days of my purchase invoice I can request the sale difference and cross my fingers.

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/dell-u2312hm-ultrasharp-ips-lcd-monitor/33732.aspx

PS.... I'm interested in finding out if the Brightness adjustment allows for calibrated white luminance levels as low as that of the U2412M.

I ordered one of these on monday. I was going between the slightly cheaper 2212HM and the 2312HM, but caved and went for the 23 when I looked at the 2311H and 2211H reviews on tftcentral and saw that the 2311H had a lower input lag. Basing off of the assumption that the panel between the 11 and 12 model are the same, I *should* see similar benefits on the one I bought. As this is going to be for a gaming PC I wanted the lower input lag. I also opted for the 12 model over getting an older 11 model cheaper from amazon because I'll give the IPS/LED thing another go. I've had good results with my IPS/LED LG HDTV and like the energy savings and instant on/instant brightness thing of LED displays too.

I'm still kicking myself that I only bought 2 instead of 3 2209WAs a couple of years ago when they were on super sale for $212. My long term plan was always going to be to buy 2 really high end LCDs (big size, wide gamut, etc) for my mac setup where I do photography and put the 2 2209WAs I have on the macs now on the gaming PC, maybe even in a triple screen setup. Now I have to either source a used one for triple screen, or buy 2 more 2312HMs for the macs and sell my 2209WAs... which I might do if I really like the 2312HM.

Supposed to come on Oct 4th, can't wait!

Does anyone know if this monitor can do a true 75hz or better on duallink DVI?

Does anyone know if this monitor can do a true 75hz or better on duallink DVI?

I assume DL-DVI and DP cables would support it. It's just a matter of finding a way to force a refresh setting > the default imposed 60hz max. Not sure if that would produce stable performance even if you could overclock the max refresh rate. Perhaps it will run > 60hz, but at lower than native resolution. Which likely isn't worth it.

From the U2412M thread it doesn't seem like anyone has accomplished > 60hz.

Last edited:
This looks nice, not too expensive either. I might just get this if Squaretrade gives me credit for my 2209WA
Edit: Well, damn. I just noticed it's 16:9; need a 16:10.

Last edited:
The actual input lag is 1.1ms when measured accurately by PRAD.de. The original had around 2ms. The unit PRAD tested has a 900-960:1 contrast ratio before+after calibration.

Last edited:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

TFTcentral review up. Fucking 0.6ms average input lag? What the hell? That's insane! Do any other reviews correlate it being that low or was it a fluke in their measurements?

I wonder if the U2212HM carries similar properties?
Their testing method is not precise enough to determine an exact value. Most monitors lag within 3 ms of an exact number of frames with no fluctuation. Pretty much every monitor on their list under 12 ms (and even some above that) actually has no more than 3 ms of lag, not including pixel response times. I know for sure the 2209WA is under 3 ms, but they have it listed as 9 ms. All of the 22" and 23" Dells and the U2412M should be no more than 3 ms. The U2410, U2711, U3011 are all one frame (17-20 ms), except the U2410 has a game mode that gets rid of the one frame lag. The game mode on the other models doesn't do anything special.

UrbanConquest said:
I assume DL-DVI and DP cables would support it. It's just a matter of finding a way to force a refresh setting > the default imposed 60hz max. Not sure if that would produce stable performance even if you could overclock the max refresh rate. Perhaps it will run > 60hz, but at lower than native resolution. Which likely isn't worth it.
1080p monitors don't support dual-link DVI, but DisplayPort might work. It's also possible to fit 1080p @ 75 Hz within single-link DVI with custom timing parameters, but whether or not that works will depend on what timing parameters the monitor will accept. DisplayPort has enough bandwidth to do 1080p @ 75 Hz with standard timing parameters.

UrbanConquest said:
From the U2412M thread it doesn't seem like anyone has accomplished > 60hz.
1920x1200 monitors seem to be more finicky for some reason, so that's not necessarily an indication that the U2312HM won't be able to do it.

1080p monitors don't support dual-link DVI, but DisplayPort might work. It's also possible to fit 1080p @ 75 Hz within single-link DVI with custom timing parameters, but whether or not that works will depend on what timing parameters the monitor will accept. DisplayPort has enough bandwidth to do 1080p @ 75 Hz with standard timing parameters.

The newer 120hz TN panels are all I can recall that have dual-link DVI support.

I guess tweaking the factory service menu settings might allow 75hz. Curious how to access those options on this model.

While I'd love to see 75hz over DP for gaming I'm just curious how that will effect the lifetime of the panel. I've read that changing those settings would void the warranty. For myself, I don't think a 15hz increase in refresh rate will be significant enough to bother running any risk.

There are plenty of monitors with no or negligible input lag already. This is not a revolution at all (not to mention their inaccurate testing setup).
Response time seems decent but I hope it can handle higher refresh rates otherwise it will be nothing special for gaming.

Last edited:
Does dell refund for price changes? I ordered one yesterday for $271 after coupon before tax. Not a huge deal at $12.

Don't rely on TFTCentral's input lag numbers. They're measured with a very rough/inaccurate method. By their metric, we're supposed to believe the 2312 has like 17x less input lag than the 2311? Absolute nonsense.

PRAD is the only place for input lag numbers, and as someone mentioned before, they measured the 2312 at 1.1 ms as compared to the 2311's 0.0. Realistically these are the same thing: these are monitors that buffer no frames.

Okay, finally on sale for the first time today in the US. $60 off in the US ($259), but $80 off in Canada ($239), and 1.00 USD is worth about 1.06 CAD right now. Hmmm.

Seriously. Going to keep waiting on this until they give us the same 25% off that CA has gotten twice now already (and with the CAD worth more, it's technically even more of a discount).

Okay, so how about a perspective comparison of this IPS at 60Hz vs a TN at 120Hz.

Let's assume the TFT Central review is accurate at 0.6ms and we put it up against a TN panel at 120Hz with say 5.6ms of input lag.

Going through a simplified 16ms cycle:

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0

5ms of the U2312HM ahead of the TN panel
8ms of both with the same image
3ms of the TN panel ahead with an image the U2312HM will not have

Is this logic flawed?

I honestly have never used a 120Hz monitor because I dislike the top of the screen being so much darker than the bottom. I know the TN panel would animate more fluidly with less blurring. But 60Hz would also require half the graphics power. What other differences?

60hz doesn't require half the graphics power, don't confuse hz and framerate.

And I think your logic is flawed, a 60hz monitor has like 16.67ms input lag minimum while a 120hz one will have 8.33ms. (I'm not sure you can really call this "input lag" though)

Adding the actual input lag on top of it the 120hz one is still a clear winner. And don't forget the pixel response time, most 120hz monitors are unmatched on that regard.

Please don't bring up 120hz in an IPS thread unless you are able to link us to a 120hz IPS panel.

I got my monitor yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, the image quality is as I expected. I am having one slight problem though. I calibrated my screen to 120cd/m^2, and I notice that the monitor has a distinct buzz at brightness levels below 100%. Does anyone else see this? I see that there are a couple of other people who had the same problem?

I'm with Dell CS right now to get the price adjusted (I paid $319, on sale for $259... sweet!) and am thinking of having them sending a replacement to see if it is a manufacturing defect? I see some other reports of the same behavior on the dell forums so I'm not sure if it will be worth the hassle though since it is probably a design thing? Maybe I should wait until further revisions for that issue to be addressed and exchange it then?

The buzz is not too loud however since my PC is very quiet, I can clearly hear it over my fans when I'm just on the desktop.

Ruahrc

I got my monitor yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, the image quality is as I expected. I am having one slight problem though. I calibrated my screen to 120cd/m^2, and I notice that the monitor has a distinct buzz at brightness levels below 100%. Does anyone else see this? I see that there are a couple of other people who had the same problem?

I'm with Dell CS right now to get the price adjusted (I paid $319, on sale for $259... sweet!) and am thinking of having them sending a replacement to see if it is a manufacturing defect? I see some other reports of the same behavior on the dell forums so I'm not sure if it will be worth the hassle though since it is probably a design thing? Maybe I should wait until further revisions for that issue to be addressed and exchange it then?

The buzz is not too loud however since my PC is very quiet, I can clearly hear it over my fans when I'm just on the desktop.

Ruahrc

oh god, this is happening again. I bought the 11 version, returned it because after 3 exchanges, buzzing sound was still there :(

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

damn was thinking of buying one too. Now I know why they put it on sale right away, and bigger sale to us canadians to try and unload their crap on us first

For what it's worth, I never had any buzzing problems with my U2311h's. No buzzing that I could hear at any brightness level. I'd buy another one for work except I wouldn't have space for it (and I wouldn't be able to really use it...)

yo kevin I searched dell.ca but how do i buy the U2311H? did they discontinue selling it i don't see a buy button

The U2311H is discontinued, replaced by U2312HM. As far as I've seen, the U2312HM is the same as the U2311H, except with LED lighting and remodeled looks. Dunno about the power buzz though, I just know that mine don't have any problems.

Don't rely on TFTCentral's input lag numbers. They're measured with a very rough/inaccurate method. By their metric, we're supposed to believe the 2312 has like 17x less input lag than the 2311? Absolute nonsense.

PRAD is the only place for input lag numbers, and as someone mentioned before, they measured the 2312 at 1.1 ms as compared to the 2311's 0.0. Realistically these are the same thing: these are monitors that buffer no frames.

so inaccurate that they measured 0.6ms for the U2312HM and Prad got 1.1ms. wow massive difference

The U2311H is discontinued, replaced by U2312HM. As far as I've seen, the U2312HM is the same as the U2311H, except with LED lighting and remodeled looks. Dunno about the power buzz though, I just know that mine don't have any problems.

are you saying your U2311H's don't have a buzzing sound? because they shouldn't the buzzing problem is with the U2312HM

I was actually going to buy two U2311H's, but since they discontinued it and only want to sell buzzing U2312HM's, I'm going with two Asus VH238H

Back