Dell U2312HM

i got one with the same specs last week and it is flawless. try hooking up to displayport to your video card if you can the quality seems slightly better. I think its because it bypasses a controller on the monitor

What settings are you using?

well iam using display port to mini displayport cable i bought off monoprice for $10

connecting the monitor to my HIS 6970 mini displayport

i used a spyder 3 pro to calibrate the display and used the monitors custom color RGB controls to get 6500k color. the monitor is really easy to calibrate and its not hard to get 6500k color on this my brightness is at 15. the calibration really helps to deflect some glare from the AG coating and also lessen any black light bleed. My theory is on my monitor is that some black light bleed is coming from the power on blue led cuz thats the only part i get and black light bleed. i want to know how to get into the service menu and turn on the power blue led. anyone know how?

there was a 90 dollar coupon out there for weeks i almost got this over the u2412m total price was like 226

i had to replace my 2209WA and dell sent a brand new 2312HM as a replacement last week. so far it has been an upgrade for me.

well iam using display port to mini displayport cable i bought off monoprice for $10

connecting the monitor to my HIS 6970 mini displayport

i used a spyder 3 pro to calibrate the display and used the monitors custom color RGB controls to get 6500k color. the monitor is really easy to calibrate and its not hard to get 6500k color on this my brightness is at 15. the calibration really helps to deflect some glare from the AG coating and also lessen any black light bleed. My theory is on my monitor is that some black light bleed is coming from the power on blue led cuz thats the only part i get and black light bleed. i want to know how to get into the service menu and turn on the power blue led. anyone know how?

Any chance you could post a color profile or the rest of the settings?

I can't seem to find a happy medium yet, so it would be appreciated.

All the profiles and settings out there are for revision a00 that I've found.

Rev A01. Mfg Date: August 2011
No dead pixel, very very mild BLB in upper right. Screen quality very acceptable, AG coating is there but does not bother me at all. Only one complaint, the darn buzzing. Anything below 99 brightness buzzes. It is not loud buzzing, but the high pitch of it could be a deal breaker. Other than that, it is a nice monitor. Played some Counterstrike source and it was awesome.

Just thought I would add I had to return mine. I could not live with the buzzing. Hopefully there is a newer Rev that will fix this. Funny, I worried about AG and BLB, but they were fine, never thought buzzing would be an issue. I'm back to my old Samsung 970P until I find something else now.

Last edited:
Just thought I would add I had to return mine. I could not live with the buzzing. Hopefully there is a newer Rev that will fix this. Funny, I worried about AG and BLB, but they were fine, never thought buzzing would be an issue. I'm back to my old Samsung 970P until I find something else now.

I exchanged mine, you can see my posts a page or two back. I ordered three and they were all Rev A01, Mfg Aug 2011, as were the two replacements I got. Of those five, two are perfect, two have a very low buzz that is lower than my old TN (still wish it was no buzz though) and one was so loud of buzzing it was impossible to live with.

I'm debating trying for one more exchange, to turn the last low buzz one into a silence one, but judging off the track record I'm just as likely to get another low buzz or worse one, so I'm just calling it good for now.

In another year or something if it's gotten worse I'll just call for an exchange then, there will probably be a new revision that fixes it. In the meantime, three awesome monitors are mine.

I am thinking about changing my 19" 5:4 display to a 23-24" 16:9. My current HP LP1965 (P-MVA panel) has very good picture quality - the colors and black levels are pretty good. I find the response time good too - playing Rage with contant 60 frames per second is perfect for me. Sure, TN is faster, but I don't need my new display to be any faster - just not slower.

So is this Dell a good upgrade option for me? Reading random pages of the Dell U2412M, to which the U2312HM seems like a smaller sibling, had pictures with terrible blacks, backlight bleeding, glows - things I don't suffer on my current HP and I'm a little scared ;)

The other option I'm considering is a BenQ VW2420H - it's one inch larger and has a VA panel, to which I'm kind of used to. The reviews I read spoke of great contrast ratio, awesome black levels, marginal or non existend backlight bleeding and... poor response times. But is it really an issue? Could the response time be worse than on my current HP display?

...or maybe there's a third option I should consider?

lowering the brightness reduces the black light bleed significantly

my brightness is set to 14 and i calibrated it right on 6500k and 2.2 gamma
the pq is awesome now and i can't notice blacklight bleed at all like i could before when i had it set to 21 brightness

I pulled the plug on these and bought 2. Hopefully it was a good choice.

Anybody have settings that work for the most accurate colors and picture quality?

Last edited:
set brightness to 13 and you want custom RGB color controls

use displayport if possible

set brightness to 13 and you want custom RGB color controls

use displayport if possible

Not 100% sure how. Does a DVI to Display Port adapter exist?

I herd Display Port is like HDMI where you can use HDMI over it.

My video cards don't have Display port.

Not 100% sure how. Does a DVI to Display Port adapter exist?

I herd Display Port is like HDMI where you can use HDMI over it.

My video cards don't have Display port.

its called monoprice.com

November 2011 Mfg Date REV 02

I got them Today So far I really like them. The AG coat is noticeable but I can get use to it quickly.

Both monitors are good no buzzing.

Will have to wait unit it's dark to check for back light bleed.

November 2011 Mfg Date REV 02

I got them Today So far I really like them. The AG coat is noticeable but I can get use to it quickly.

Both monitors are good no buzzing.

Will have to wait unit it's dark to check for back light bleed.

The buzzing is the only reason I returned mine. It was Rev01. Maybe the Rev02 has fixed the buzzing, it seems impossible to get a changelog on these rev's most of the time.

I got a Rev01 replacement for a Rev01 that shortly exhibited that notorious problem of a vertical yellow line. No other problems I'm aware of.

I can't remember if I have asked this before but does this support 75Hz?

Update to my post

My first monitor is good but it appears that my second dell is having a problem with image retention. I thought LCD are immune to this but i guess not. I also read it's worse on IPS Panels compared to tn?

Anybody else experience this?

Hopefully i don't have to have it replaced and it doesn't seem like i have to. I put up a white image for 20 minutes and it's almost gone.

Last edited:
Just a FYI, there is an LCD Conditioning option in the Menu that will cycle the display through a bunch of colors. Maybe get a screensaver that'll do it (oh nice idea I just came up, surely this exists) and/or have your wallpaper change constantly.

Just a FYI, there is an LCD Conditioning option in the Menu that will cycle the display through a bunch of colors. Maybe get a screensaver that'll do it (oh nice idea I just came up, surely this exists) and/or have your wallpaper change constantly.

I've been doing that and it clears it up. Also is it normal for this to happen just after a few minutes? Like I like the firefox window open for 2 minutes and i can see a shadow of the firefox logo.

Who i bought mine from is going to replace it. Even at very low brightness like 5 it has horrible screen retention after just 2 minutes. My other doesn't have this problem. Hopefully the replacement is better.

It has also a weird orange tint for the white and produces a color nowhere near what my first one can at the same settings.

Is $240 a reasonable price to pull the trigger at? I am looking at two order either two of these, or two 24" (u2412m)if I can get them down to $300 a piece.

Hello from Italy, this is my first post on this forum.
I just wanted to know if uneven white uniformity is common on this monitor, mine has a strange pink tint on the right side. I've uploaded a small video of it here.
I've used a crt until now so it could be I'm just too picky.
What do you think? Should I try a replacement :D? other than that there are no dead pixels and minimal backlight bleeding.

Is $240 a reasonable price to pull the trigger at? I am looking at two order either two of these, or two 24" (u2412m)if I can get them down to $300 a piece.

contitego, if you happen to live in Canada, right now you can get the 2312 for $180 through the Dell Small Business store by applying coupon D1MWRSLGFQ7X0Q

I don't think it does. The available option on my properties window is 60Hz.

Doesn't mean much, if anything, Windows says my monitor can't do more than 60hz when it actually can. Windows also says that my monitor can do 30hz when it actually can't.

Someone who has the monitor needs to try making custom resolutions with special timings. I don't have this specific model to do it myself sadly.

contitego, if you happen to live in Canada, right now you can get the 2312 for $180 through the Dell Small Business store by applying coupon D1MWRSLGFQ7X0Q

Coupon is expired. Its still $200 though which is not bad at all.

Must be nice to live in Canada then. Can't seem to get the 2312 to show up on Dell's site properly sometimes it works and other times it gives the whole page not found or something... Are they discontiuing it?

Has anyone bought a refurb of this? Thinking about buying the refurb off Dell's site for $190.

I just got done taking the AG coating off my U2312HM and WOW what a difference. Good lord. Cannot believe I didn't do this sooner. Goodbye sparkles, hello crystal clean whites!

I just got done taking the AG coating off my U2312HM and WOW what a difference. Good lord. Cannot believe I didn't do this sooner. Goodbye sparkles, hello crystal clean whites!

How did you do this? Does that void your warranty?

Yes it does void the warranty. Also the polarizer is very delicate. It is very easy to scratch. There is a thread about removing it on a u2711 and caused some problems down the road.

the AG coating on mine is not that bad. I don't think i would do this. I need my warranty you never know when these things can fail. My last dell 2009WA got replaced with a U2312HM
cuz i had a yellow line down the center.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038394177

Yes it does void the warranty. Also the polarizer is very delicate. It is very easy to scratch. There is a thread about removing it on a u2711 and caused some problems down the road.

I know a few other people who have done this modification over a year ago with no ill effects. One thing they all did in common was making sure they left the paper towels on long enough to adequately release the adhesive's bond to the polarizer. Those that reported issues usually admit that they didn't let it soak long enough and had issues during the removal process which resulted in a weakening of the polarizer or residual adhesive which led to damage when they attempted to remove it.

Keep in mind that your screen is more fragile without the coating in place and cleaning it will require additional care. Always let your monitor cool before cleaning the screen and use only distilled water with a very gentle microfiber cloth. Always use light up/down and left/right strokes, never circular.

With that said, for someone who is overly sensitive to the AG coating, this mod is an absolute must for me to enjoy this panel. My main display is currently a 120hz Asus VG236HE with a glossy screen and going from that to a window on the U2312HM was simply painful; It made the "dirty" effect from the coating obvious, especially with white/light colors.

Last edited:
I am considering buying this monitor. Is there anything not to like about this? I only game, browse web and watch videos (tv shows and videos on youtube.

Last edited:
Back