Dell U2312HM

I am considering buying this monitor. Is there anything not to like about this?

Only flaw I found was a loud high pitch buzzing (when brightness is set to anything below 100pct). I have no clue if that was fixed in a newer rev, but I know it was common on Rev01. Good luck!

Just ordered one from Dell Small Business for 229. Gonna be replacing my aging 2405FPW which will be put on backup in case I need a spare monitor. If I get half of the enjoyment out of it as I did from what I'm currently using I'll be happy.

Mine came in today. I plugged in the settings FlatPanelsHD used to calibrate theirs and it looked way, way off. Used the Prad ones and it looks great. I can tell just by looking that the blacks aren't as dark as my 2405FPW because it was VA. But I also don't have gamma shift so the H forums don't go to weird colors at the sides. Overall, I gotta say that I'm really enjoying this in the first couple hours of owning it. Gonna have to game on it some later.

Also figured I should note - no buzzing at all.

Mine came in today. I plugged in the settings FlatPanelsHD used to calibrate theirs and it looked way, way off. Used the Prad ones and it looks great. I can tell just by looking that the blacks aren't as dark as my 2405FPW because it was VA. But I also don't have gamma shift so the H forums don't go to weird colors at the sides. Overall, I gotta say that I'm really enjoying this in the first couple hours of owning it. Gonna have to game on it some later.

What is the Rev and mfg date? Would love to get one that doesn't buzz.

Found a work U2312HM to be nice and vibrant and impressed me so much that I am going for the 24, normally use 2x2209WA.

How is gaming on this monitor? Any ghosting? Someone a few pages back said there was ghosting playing Deus Ex.

What is the Rev and mfg date? Would love to get one that doesn't buzz.

Rev A01, manufactured January 2012

How is gaming on this monitor? Any ghosting? Someone a few pages back said there was ghosting playing Deus Ex.

I will precede my opinion with this statement: I'm used to gaming on a 2405FPW that wasn't great for gaming and had plenty of very noticeable ghosting, so my input may be very different than someone used to a 120hz TN.
Now that that is out of the way, I find the U2312HM fantastic. I didn't try BF3 yet, but I played WoW for a bit, then an hour or so of Diablo 3 beta, then Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo, and wrapped up with some Kingdoms of Amalur. I didn't notice any ghosting. In my opinion, this is a great monitor for gaming. YMMV depending on what you're used to I suppose, but I'm used to seeing purple trails on my old monitor. I did actually look very closely while playing WoW to see if there was visible ghosting, but I didn't notice any.

edit: Since it's storming out and I can make the room completely dark, I went ahead and did a visual check for blb. With the brightness at 100, there is a very slight amount of blb in the lower left side of the panel, but that's all I noticed. I have mine set to 30 and don't see it at all in normal use.

Last edited:

I will precede my opinion with this statement: I'm used to gaming on a 2405FPW that wasn't great for gaming and had plenty of very noticeable ghosting, so my input may be very different than someone used to a 120hz TN.
Now that that is out of the way, I find the U2312HM fantastic. I didn't try BF3 yet, but I played WoW for a bit, then an hour or so of Diablo 3 beta, then Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo, and wrapped up with some Kingdoms of Amalur. I didn't notice any ghosting. In my opinion, this is a great monitor for gaming. YMMV depending on what you're used to I suppose, but I'm used to seeing purple trails on my old monitor. I did actually look very closely while playing WoW to see if there was visible ghosting, but I didn't notice any.

edit: Since it's storming out and I can make the room completely dark, I went ahead and did a visual check for blb. With the brightness at 100, there is a very slight amount of blb in the lower left side of the panel, but that's all I noticed. I have mine set to 30 and don't see it at all in normal use.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. To get it or not. Right now I am using a LG 20in TN from 6 years ago, and wanted to upgrade. It's on sale at Dell for 239.99 too hmmm. If you could update your post after playing BF3 that would be great, or if someone else could pitch in and say how gaming is on this.

After playing Diablo 3 for a while longer, I do see some ghosting in the surroundings when I'm zoomed in. Nothing like my old VA panel though. I actually just tried to get into BF3 but failed to get into a few maps and just gave up for now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edit: played bf3 today. The monitor is great IMO, much more responsive than my old one. Someone nitpicking and looking for it might see ghosting but I didn't really notice it.

Last edited:
After playing Diablo 3 for a while longer, I do see some ghosting in the surroundings when I'm zoomed in. Nothing like my old VA panel though. I actually just tried to get into BF3 but failed to get into a few maps and just gave up for now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edit: played bf3 today. The monitor is great IMO, much more responsive than my old one. Someone nitpicking and looking for it might see ghosting but I didn't really notice it.

Thanks for the response. I might just pull the trigger and get it, and see how it goes.

I just got my 2312hm. Played L4D2 and Serious Sam. There wasnt that much difference between this and my 6 yr old tn with response time. However, I notice my monitor is slightly tilted to the right by a centimeter which is slightly annoying. They must not have tightened it enough because I noticed that is the direction you rotate it to put the panel into portrait mode. I don't hear any buzzing.

So I originally used the settings that someone else posted in this forum, and felt that made the display look way worse. I then used Prad settings, which were just minor changes and it looked way better. I noticed if you set the brightness too low on this monitor the whites start to look yellow.

Just a followup. As I play more games with this monitor, the more I love it. The colors are so vibrant in games compared to my TN panel and the response time / input lag feels just as good. No complaints playing Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter. I feel this game should be a test for response time/ ghosting /input lag because there is so much crap going on on the screen and to be able to dodge everyone while shooting them would be a good test. This monitor has no input lag or ghosting during anything I played so far.

Is the rev on the box? My box said REVA04 Maufactured January 2012.

Havent got a single bit of ghosting. I'm not sure how anyone can since the input lag is almost negligible.

My favorite monitor thus far.

I just picked up two of these beauties off craigslist for $100 each !! :D

Anyway, these are pretty great. No high pitches, mint condition, maybe a little back-light bleed in the corners and hardly noticeable ghosting.

After reading the TFT Central review on this monitor I decided it would be perfect for my 5x1 landscape Eyefinity setup. I went ahead and ordered five of them from Dell and it ended up being only $1050 with expedited shipping. Problem is right after I ordered them I got an e-mail saying they went out of stock. My expected ship date is today, so hopefully my order status updates.

I'll be using this mainly for iRacing, but will also be playing Diablo III as well (even if it doesn't support Eyefinity). I'll be powering them with the MSI 7970 Lightning as soon as it becomes available.

I was specifically impressed by the input lag testing TFT Central did, showing an average input lag of 0.6ms. This absolutely destroys every other LCD panel on the market (at least the ones they have tested). In a game like iRacing, every ms of input lag means I'm less accurate with braking and my turn in points. So that sold me, but the IPS panels and everything else about them should be great as well.

If the u2412hm led flicker bothered me, would this monitor cause the same problem?

Can't really say about U2412M since I never had it, but I had a ZR2440W and anything below 90-80 brightness would not pass the pencil test (I could spot multiple defined edges due to the backlight flicker). Now I have a U2312HM and I don't get any of that effect, even on 0 brightness. I was worrying a lot about it before buying the monitor, but in the end it seems to be OK - no headaches or anything like that. I am more bothered by the higher black level and glow than on the U2311H. However, if you look closely you can spot some flickering from the FRC, due to it being 6 bit .

I have 3 2312s and I am trying to sell them but am having a hard time. What's the going rate on used monitors, maybe I am asking too much? I bought them 5 months ago and am asking $180-$200 (bigger discount if all 3 are bought) each, but people keep saying they will pay $100-$150 tops. Brand new they are $300 so I thought 33-40% off was good as they are basically new. Should I be asking for less for used monitors?

Anyway, I loved them but I upgraded to a large 30" so no need for them now.

I got my U2312hm new for $200. You can get them new for lower ($180-190) if you are patient.

I got my U2312HM last week, but frankly I'm still quite dissapointed with the viewing angle not as good as I expected. While the colors doesn't change much, the contrast does change quite a lot even with a little angle (30-45 deg). Can anyone confirm ?

And yeah...the black level....not good

I got my U2312HM last week, but frankly I'm still quite dissapointed with the viewing angle not as good as I expected. While the colors doesn't change much, the contrast does change quite a lot even with a little angle (30-45 deg). Can anyone confirm ?

And yeah...the black level....not good

Yep, it's just the same with mine. A huge step backwards from the cancelled U2311H if you ask me. What's worse is that it's the same price as U2311H used to be, but inferior quality.

Hello, about ~ 5 days like i get my u2312, rev.01.
In total i very like this monitor, arcade games run nice + i like colors.
But i have one .. problem ? If i set brightness lower that a 97, on a picture with :"lines", like this one -
3a5b647a42a2bd559ab93d74d69592a0.png
and i move my eyes left - right, i can see like "LOW" flikering. When i bought this monitor i already know, that because of LED this monitor have flikering, but i didn't think... i will see this .... because of this, i wander any other owner of a 2312 notice some problem with this ?
little strange problem, but...because of this my eyes very fast tierds, i all time move head because use also a 23 TN LG, and often see this "flikering?" effect. TN don't have this problem. Strange that lq LG with TN mroe comfortable that a DELL :rolleyes:

Thank Youー

How do these compare to the U2311H?

I've got one of those atm and I'm looking to get to of the U2312HM for portrait surround.
Also, for those who've used 1080p monitors in portrait surround, how is it for everyday stuff, browsing and everything besides gaming?

Can anyone tell me if the usb hub stays on when the monitor is fully off? (not in standby)

My U2312HM works nice, but I noted what when I watch Game of Thrones, and simular programs, the night scenes seem too dark. Can I fix this? I have the brightness at 75%...mmmm.

Anyone know if the latest revisions of this model have better contrast, less glow in the corners?

I just got my 2312hm. Played L4D2 and Serious Sam. There wasnt that much difference between this and my 6 yr old tn with response time. However, I notice my monitor is slightly tilted to the right by a centimeter which is slightly annoying. They must not have tightened it enough because I noticed that is the direction you rotate it to put the panel into portrait mode. I don't hear any buzzing.

I have the same tilt problem with the u2312hm I received today. Is there an easy fix for this issue?

I have the same tilt problem with the u2312hm I received today. Is there an easy fix for this issue?
Excuse me,

What the REV and manufacture date of the monitor that you received?

Thank you.

Excuse me,

What the REV and manufacture date of the monitor that you received?

Thank you.

Rev A05
Manufactured Date: Apr 2012

But I also got a second monitor with the same rev and manufactured date that doesn't have this issue.

Anyone have a Rev 05 model? If so, please share your calibrations numbers for it.

Thanks.

I just got this monitor as a replacement for a 2209WA bought 32 months ago, although it took 4 exchanges before they finally sent it (they tried to dump some refurbished old models first and also a U2212HM). It's a Rev A06 Manufactured on June 2012.

I'm pretty happy with the upgrade:

22" -> 23"
1680x1050 -> 1920x1080
CCFL -> LED (lighter, thinner and more power efficient)
It has DisplayPort (never going to use it but it's a bonus)
The power LED is a lot less bright (although the previous one was dead anyway xD)

The only thing I don't like is the rounded edges, the 2209WA looked more aggressive xD.

I've seen a lot of people saying the 2209WA was better than the 16:9 23"s because of the 16:10 aspect ratio, which I find really funny since this is 1080p and displays more information vertically. The pixel pitch is a little smaller (about 6%) but it's not bad at all, it looks sharper and the wider AR is great for watching movies. I can finally watch my Blurays in all their 1080p glory ^^. Gaming performance will take a little hit though with the increased resolution.

I love the Premium Warranty from Dell, I don't think I would ever buy any other monitor brand.

By the way, I'm using the color profile "Dell U2312HM (Standard)" from TFT Central as I don't own a calibrator and it looks pretty damn good. I just had to lower the brightness from 75 to 20 and load this puppy up. It sure looks better than factory calibration. You can find it here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#d

Cheers,
EOG

Back