Dell S2417DG

I figure I mean lots of displays just get bigger and bigger but are they still functional? Do they pry your eyes open so wide the game is no longer interesting? 24" I think is still the sweet spot I mean even esports don't play on huge 40" screens because of reaction time and readability of the content they are digesting. a bad 65" LCD can really mess up your vision and muscles in the eye. Videogames list altered vision as a thing to be aware of if you play certin games. I'll wait all day for the Fed Ex guy tomorrow. First person shooters scale pertty good on bigger screen other games not so much. I know Dishonored looked better while I played it on a 24" then a 27" just felt better and more solid. I think it was scaled for screens back then.

Last edited:
Edited for sanity I really like this thing......

I tried about 30 Steam games they all look good

Last edited:
Sounds like really good news for this monitor. Funny how everyone's been itching for a 24" 1440P monitor and seems like this is the perfect size for it =D

I'm going to Box up my 27" ASUS ROG SWIFT sorry to say 3 different monitors on the desk takes up too much space.

This thing Rocks.......

Last edited:
I got three of these to try in portrait.... and after a day of testing I can say its possible to be over AND underwhelmed all at the same time in this life.... lol

This is a good monitor for reaction time games I figure if you play on a 40" your reaction time will slow down because of all the pixels and extra movement you take it. Stuff might be bigger targets......sure but you won't feel like you are dominating the game. I played Duke Nukem Forever mainly on a 21.5" monitor and I went toe to toe with the best the world had to offer at the time I still think I'm ranked 300 in the world in the leaderboards in that game. Then I went with a 24" 60hz monitor people were bigger targets on that monitor from a distance. When I got my 27" monitor it looked good but something wasn't right you could use the enviroment better for cover like in Battlefield 3 TDM but it wasn't the same feeling as my 24" Then again I wear glasses that could have something to do with it also. Or my eyes just being pushed back into the sockets to take everything in which would ruin the function of them with a monitor being slightly too big for some games. I mean 27" felt way too big for Divinity Original Sin 2 while blocking out everything except the text just taking too much light in for no good reason except the monitor was too big for that game.

If this thing had blue light reduction and Black Equalizer I would be happy.....but it's flicker free yet...just going to use it as a gaming monitor. I noticed compared to my 5 year old ASUS TN the colors on the 5 year old monitor are better. But this 24" Dell detials pop up out of nowhere the blacks are lighter so you can see everything even with the brightness turned down to 30 the monitor still shows everything without being too black.

Last edited:
Yea, these displays in triple are amazing for Sniping and tanks in BF4....but are too intense for infantry combat. As Comix says, its alot of detail to take in and process.

Before I hooked these up, I played a round with one display on BF4 Oman with a single 24" During that play I held one of the outposts from about 5 infantry and a tank / apc....all with my lowly engineer kit. At one point an ATV was bearing down on me and almost ran me over, but it caught the top of a crest and jumped over me as I went prone and launched a killing RPG into his exposed belly...then I killed a few more infantry.... I did it all very naturally with just the solo 24"

I don't think I could have done the same thing with this triple setup....I think my head would explode from the visual overload haha

I must say though...I am mightily impressed with how TitanXP SLI handles 4320x2560 @ 165hz with everything set to ultra and AA at 2x with SSAO in BF4. I keep close to max FPS most of the time with FPS capped at 164!

I just picked up one of these on a whim, and man is it nice. The pixel density is just perfect for me and the response time when OC'd to 165hz is amazing. I got mine on sale on Amazon for ~$400 and I had a $50 gift card to add to it. I've had the 27" model before but it was just a little too big for me, this 24" size is the best for my uses.

Normally I abhor landscape surround.....but.......I put my three in landscape surround and MOOONDOGGY this getup ROCKS in BF4!

The flanking displays are not soo much there to add width to my viewing area, since I don't really look at them...... rather they help give a MOAR BIGGEM presence. Its pretty epic having this perspective of things @ 165hz gsync fluidity at 120ppi.

Basically, I play this setup like a single screen getup, but the peripheral ratchets up the immersion greatly!

I figure I mean lots of displays just get bigger and bigger but are they still functional? Do they pry your eyes open so wide the game is no longer interesting? 24" I think is still the sweet spot I mean even esports don't play on huge 40" screens because of reaction time and readability of the content they are digesting. a bad 65" LCD can really mess up your vision and muscles in the eye. Videogames list altered vision as a thing to be aware of if you play certin games. I'll wait all day for the Fed Ex guy tomorrow. First person shooters scale pertty good on bigger screen other games not so much. I know Dishonored looked better while I played it on a 24" then a 27" just felt better and more solid. I think it was scaled for screens back then.
I'm with you. Unless the screen is 3' or more from you, 24" is optimal (unless you have poor eyesight). When playing a competitive FPS, you don't want to be moving your head to see things.

I'm with you. Unless the screen is 3' or more from you, 24" is optimal (unless you have poor eyesight). When playing a competitive FPS, you don't want to be moving your head to see things.

I agree with this. I feel like I've been playing better after switching down to a 24 inch monitor.

I've only used this for like one day for games last week going to try some more games out see how it compares.

Update played Metro Last Light for about 2 hours looks great I have felt coasters on the bottom of my monitor push back the monitor when not in use and slide over my regular duty monitor.
Here I'll show you my setup I like how you can have the monitor lower to the table unlike some other monitors. Have it like 3 1/2 off the table so I don't have to look directly at it.
colors could be better but you can't tell the difference in games.

tn_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think the overclock screws with my eyes so I'm going to use 144 hz might just be me or I'm just nuts. unless changing the desktop display to 125% helped. gotham City Imposters never looked better can't believe people still play that game everyday guess it's that good. Even though they Monolith left it to rust like 3 years ago.

Damn I started playing Overwatch competitively after getting this baby and I was never able to get stats like this before. Was able to climb up to Diamond rank wooooo

QnYtDdl.jpg

feNht2k.jpg

As someone who traditionally dislikes surround landscape setups, I have to admit these are pretty amazing in surround landscape!

TitanXP SLI with all settings @ ultra keep a steady 150+ fps. The picture quality moves like buttery glass!

photo hosting

Last edited:
20160928134652_1.jpg
20160928124052_1.jpg
20160928132319_1.jpg

Picked up The Evil WIthin for cheap on CD-Keys looks amazing on this thing. Game improved alot since I tired the Demo years ago. I need to get rid of some of my other monitors.... whenever I do that I regret selling them...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU bastard! Just turned my new S2417DG on and was like "ahhhh lame". Pulled up this thread that I had saved while doing my research, adjusted the settings and am now like "ahhhhhh YEEEAAAHHH!!". I cant' believe the difference. I love this so much better than the ASUS ROG SWIFT IPS panel I just returned. That was tooo bright and way to backlight bloody - not to mention the 4 stuck pixels RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN.

This one - NOT ONE DEAD OR STUCK PIXEL.

DELL monitor fan for life. Still rocking the 2001 ultra sharp next to this one.

Thanks again bro. You da man.

I'm going to save up for a 2nd one (backup) using Bing Reward points if nothing else like this comes up down the road.
27" looks nice but 24" is what people used for years even smaller with CRT monitors. I played Quake on a 17" monitor and 19" and the game looked fine along with games like DAOC so it's not like the monitor is too small. Scaling to 125% looks great for desktop use which says it's recommended on the display scaling slider in Windows 10.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised by the "smaller is better" talking points.

Other than that, are the 24 and 27s the same exact monitor except for the size?

Well modern games have taken advantage of bigger screen sizes so they added more detail in the games but basically doesn't do much for gameplay it's the same game.
Same move sets same First Person Shooter games from the 1990s just more detail added.....
I'm torn because games look better on a 27" (because of the size) but are more playable on the 24" because you ignore all the details on the 24" you take in and focus on move sets in the game on the 24". It all depends on the game your playing basically no two games are alike.

Like personally I would never get a 34" ultrawide my eyes would start looking like a chameleon .

Cute-Chameleon-Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm a little surprised by the "smaller is better" talking points.

Other than that, are the 24 and 27s the same exact monitor except for the size?

No, I've had both and the 24" is a better panel. Slightly faster pixels and less inverse ghosting. Ever so slightly smoother too with 165 Hz. I really cannot think of a better fast gaming display than this.

No, I've had both and the 24" is a better panel. Slightly faster pixels and less inverse ghosting. Ever so slightly smoother too with 165 Hz. I really cannot think of a better fast gaming display than this.

This is high praise and especially coming from you. I may have to take this thing for a test spin myself at this rate.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU bastard!

This sentence made me chuckle.

Back to regular programming. ;)

If you ever have the problem where you have multiple monitors connected and play with the overdrive from default 144hz and 165 hz and the monitor goes blank...... just disconnect your power cord from Dell monitor and it will go back to normal.
Otherwise it will blank out and you won't get anything but HDMI and DP options in the menu.

Unless there is a easier way I haven't figured out with the menu but if you don't screw with it should be fine.

After a week with this monitor I am convinced this is my favorite I've ever owned, and I've tried a lot of them (probably not as many as Vega or l88 but close). So nice to be back with high refresh rate Gsync as Freesync really didn't work well with the games I play 99% of the time. Price premium of not, Gsync just plain works in the titles I need it for.

After a week with this monitor I am convinced this is my favorite I've ever owned, and I've tried a lot of them (probably not as many as Vega or l88 but close). So nice to be back with high refresh rate Gsync as Freesync really didn't work well with the games I play 99% of the time. Price premium of not, Gsync just plain works in the titles I need it for.

G-sync is a game changer, pardon the overused pun and expression but in this case it really is. No hype. I've used it and even on real shitty 6 bit TNs I appreciated what I saw and what was happening there.

I wish the market weren't split like some of lame optical disc format war.

It's silly that we have "freesync only" monitors and "gsync only" monitors.

I desperately wish we could a unified standard that everyone is happy with, everyone can make some money, and move forward. I'm sure there is plenty of blame to around for why this currently isn't the case.

I think I've made it on l88bastard's 10 percent juice column on IPS monitors: I've been using an NEC2490wuxi with the A-TW Polarizer for 7 years and I haven't seen something to unseat that thing yet. ;)

Last edited:
Back to running three of these in portrait.....just pushed em waaaay back on my desk so I am not as overwhelmed haha

perhaps I'll debezellem...not sure yet, I changed my setup 4 times over the weekend between this and the FG2421s :)

what did you guys pay for this monitor? i could get it for $427 after tax from dell. should I bite or wait?

what did you guys pay for this monitor? i could get it for $427 after tax from dell. should I bite or wait?

You'd be hard pressed to beat that price for a new one for a while I would think. I have one sitting in my Amazon cart.

I really would be interested to see if the view transcends this forum that the 24 inch version of this Dell monitor is really better than the 27 inch version and how/why that would be.

Here's the thing I'm wondering about: The 27 came out last October and this 24 is brand new. Some tech may have been improved upon and it halfway makes me wonder if the 27 is going to get a refresh before the year is out. Anyone anything about that?

Last edited:
You'd be hard pressed to beat that price for a new one for a while I would think. I have one sitting in my Amazon cart.

I really would be interested to see if the view transcends this forum that the 24 inch version of this Dell monitor is really better than the 27 inch version and how/why that would be.

Here's the thing I'm wondering about: The 27 came out last October and this 24 is brand new. Some tech may have been improved upon and it halfway makes me wonder if the 27 is going to get a refresh before the year is out. Anyone anything about that?
somehow dell directed me to the university website, so I was getting the student discount, and a 15% off coupon code "savebigger" I found on slickdeals. but that coupon seems to only work on the university website. during checkout under ship to it asks for Student/Staff ID Number and school name. it let me get to the next page which was payment info. but I didn't complete it. not sure if I should try it.

This monitor is great can't wait to pick up another one and save up for it....... text at 125% is perfect the clarity is great when typing or reading text not sure if it will replace my 1080P monitor my only grip is there is no gamma except for the RBG silders and a few presets they offer. I keep it at 144hz and in standard mode seems to work the best with minimal eyestrain.

At first I thought it might be too small but the muscles in my eyes got better after using it for two weeks.
I found out I can focus on stuff better in actual life with the smaller monitor. Then again my eyes are screwed up from the lights at work mainly.

Last edited:
I was deadset on getting a 1080p/24" 144Hz with gsync but seeing how the alternatives for 1080p is pretty poor if you're wanting a bit more premium stuff then this Dell is starting to look more and more interesting except I'm not sure yet I'm willing to invest into GPU requirements for 144-165Hz @ 1440p.

But the 24"/1440p combo worries me a bit, for my taste even 27/1440p, proportional-wise the 1440p looks "small" (high PPI) and on 24" it would only be more extreme in that regard. Well in Windows you can adjust scaling but it's a different story when it comes to games. I don't like it when objects on the screen start appearing proportionally small, the weapon and enemies etc in FPS games will look smaller than it would on a 24"/1080p etc ("toy-gun syndrome" -> affects realism negatively for me). Isn't there any way to adjust scaling for games too without having to lower resolution? :p

The PPI of 90 on 22" 1680x1050 that I'm using now feels good to me, 1920x1080 @ 24" is ~92 PPI so almost the same but 24"/1440p would be 122 PPI which is a drastic leap.

Last edited:
The clearer the picture or desktop is the better you can't adjust like the sharpness on it but if you increase scaling from 125% what win 10 recommends to 150% you can get a sweet spot that will be identical to what you have. This is still a gaming monitor I'm sure there are lots of monitors with better colors and adjustments then this but for games it looks just as good as the 27" Asus Swift.

somehow dell directed me to the university website, so I was getting the student discount, and a 15% off coupon code "savebigger" I found on slickdeals. but that coupon seems to only work on the university website. during checkout under ship to it asks for Student/Staff ID Number and school name. it let me get to the next page which was payment info. but I didn't complete it. not sure if I should try it.

LOL! You do it? I tried doing the same thing and this didn't happen to me. Might be some glitch.

Oh yeah the Display Port cable is 6' long if you are wondering no thanks to Geronimo at Dell. Who tried selling me a 25' Display port cable

like this
$408.49 straight from Dell right now with "member discount." I don't know anything about that.

I didn't post the link because I didn't want to potentially break forum rules but it's right on their site. Member Purchase Program -> Accessories -> Parts and Upgrades -> Monitors, etc. etc.

Just got done with a Marathon of Pillars of Eternity maybe sunk 3 hours into it finally done with ACT II man that was tedious I had a strategy guide to help me out. Still haven't bought the White March DLC....my eyes don't feel as strained if either playing on the ASUS Swift 27" or the 1080P BenQ 24" I think the pixel pitch helps alot in the game cause well
everything is really small unless you zoom in Text is in the center of the screen so it's easy to read just a good monitor for the game. Playing RPG top down games with the swift can be tedious cause the text will cover a large amount of the screen and you try to focus on the text and the Graphics and well it takes away from the game.

like this
$408.49 straight from Dell right now with "member discount." I don't know anything about that.

I didn't post the link because I didn't want to potentially break forum rules but it's right on their site. Member Purchase Program -> Accessories -> Parts and Upgrades -> Monitors, etc. etc.

If you try to buy it using a member discount I believe you'll then get asked to fill out some additional form.

like this

Not even 27" IPS 1440p/165hz can trump this monitor?

like this
Back