Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Yup, mine is amazing too. Everything just looks incredible, and it's just bigger than i expected :cool:

And yeah i sit like 2-3 feet back my desk is pretty large, i never notice the leakage while actually playing, even with lights off. i guess it's a non issue for me. :D

Subs said:
Yup, mine is amazing too. Everything just looks incredible, and it's just bigger than i expected :cool:

And yeah i sit like 2-3 feet back my desk is pretty large, i never notice the leakage while actually playing, even with lights off. i guess it's a non issue for me. :D

Im completely serious when i say that too. If i sit back further the light leakage is pretty much completely non existent. It makes me think its more a viewing angle problem then a light leakage problem.

And yes, ill say it again, this thing looks incredable (though it is my first "high quality" monitor, so that might be why).

Got my 3rd exchange (5th overall) FP 2005 today, it's a June 2005 rev A02 and amazingly enough it beats my best monitor so far. This one has almost no noticeable light leakage and no dead pixels yet. I guess this is as good as it can get as far as an LCD goes:

Dell2005New%20001.jpg

wow, this thread is still going and people are still complaing about backlight leakage

it's all a myth, get over it and enjoy your monitors

I have two of them

Well, I just received mine, got it up and running, and let me say, it is really nice, however I do notice the backlight leakage, however I never really watch movies, so it isn't that big of an issue. I play games occasionally, however I'm installing Half Life 2 as we speak, wanna see if anything bugs me as I play through it, that'll probably be the ultimate test. Overall, I would have to say the colors are absolutely amazing, compared to my old TN panel.

After further testing the monitor, I think I may just end up returning it. There is definitely leakage on the bottom, and when I go from a bright screen to black, there's even some noticable burn in, which bugs me even more. The colors on the monitor are outstanding though, best I've seen on a LCD. I think I will be returning this for a 2405fp once I save up enough funds for it.

CRXican said:
wow, this thread is still going and people are still complaing about backlight leakage

it's all a myth, get over it and enjoy your monitors

I have two of them

A myth huh?:

My first 2005fp:

normal_Dell2005FPW.jpg

Second 2005fp:

normal_Dell2005FPW%20004.jpg

Final 2005fp that I am keeping:

normal_Dell2005New%20001.jpg

There were two other 2005 fp units I had that I never took pictures of but they had several dead pixels and pretty bad light leakage. The QC on these things just varies like crazy but from my experience, the May-June 2005 Rev A02 displays are by far the best. The one I'm keeping is a June 2005 unit and it's perfect so I guess they must finally be getting their QC under control or I just got lucky.

just wondering, when u talk about leakage, is it like really noticable on a black display? cause i have an Apple 20" cinema display, and when i turn lights off and put the screen black, i see the bottom corners a 'lighter' black than the top, but when i move the screen downwards, it stops on the bottom corners and starts on the top corners.. i dnt see what u guys are posting up though.... also wen i went to take a pic with digi cam, i put it in night mode and u see massive leakage , but not when bare to the human eye, weird huh? :)

pincho said:
just wondering, when u talk about leakage, is it like really noticable on a black display? cause i have an Apple 20" cinema display, and when i turn lights off and put the screen black, i see the bottom corners a 'lighter' black than the top, but when i move the screen downwards, it stops on the bottom corners and starts on the top corners.. i dnt see what u guys are posting up though.... also wen i went to take a pic with digi cam, i put it in night mode and u see massive leakage , but not when bare to the human eye, weird huh? :)

As long as you don't see the type of light leakage I put up in the above post for the first 2005 fp I had then its probably not bad enough to care about. From your description you're just getting that effect from viewing angle and not any kind of leakage. Post your pics and lets have a look anyway.

well ill take pics wen it gets dark here, but it looks like its a viewing angle problem, cause it happens on oppisote sides wen i tilt the screen back and forth..

Yea, maybe us who's displays are fine just don't realize how bad it can be, I don't know just guessing since alot of people still complain about it. Mines fine. Regarding looking at an angle, I think that's just how it is, if you look from a sharp angle with all black screen, you'll see the backlight on the edges.

Myth... lol... Should we call in the Mythbusters? ;)

Called Dell yesterday for a replacement which got here today (truly amazing speed...)
These new ones are actually worse than the originals... oh well...
Interestingly, the delivery guy commented on there being problems with them. He had apparently been out to another guy 3-4 times with replacements... heh...

They are June A01 UK and both pretty much look the same except one has a single dead red subpixel:

2005FPW_4.jpg

Once I get one without backlight problems it'll probably have scores of dead pixels... :eek:

June A01 is not the new revision. If you get a June A02 I bet it won't have much backlight leakage if any.

Yonzie said:
Myth... lol... Should we call in the Mythbusters? ;)

Called Dell yesterday for a replacement which got here today (truly amazing speed...)
These new ones are actually worse than the originals... oh well...
Interestingly, the delivery guy commented on there being problems with them. He had apparently been out to another guy 3-4 times with replacements... heh...

They are June A01 UK and both pretty much look the same except one has a single dead red subpixel:

2005FPW_4.jpg

Once I get one without backlight problems it'll probably have scores of dead pixels... :eek:

that is EXACTLY how mine looked.. the same exact light leakage. except mine was a mexico june a02. returned it and am awaiting the 2405.. hope i dont have any dead pixels. moving back to my 17" as a primary is killing me lol.

the only reason why light leakage happens is cuz the screen is not 100% even and puting slight pressure causing the light to glow brighter in certain areas :p if u don believe me jus put ur screen saver on blank and poke at the leaking areas ull c the light moving around (also thats why theyre on the edges since the frame is putting pressure on the screen)

Has anyone tried to mount theirs on the wall? It does have the mounts correct, thats what the specs say.

I heard a rumor that the July revisions are a slightly different build (ie wiring) and that the people who have received them are reporting no backlight issues. Can anyone confirm this?

I just ordered my 2005fpw today and I was hoping maybe Dell improved the quality on their production.

OMG lol...
Just talked to Dell tech support, and the guy actually tried to troubleshoot my problem, so I told him to look at the picture I have also posted here. He went away to talk to his boss. When he came back, he told me that this was "normal"... :eek: :confused: And that I couldn't get an exchange...

Then I called Customer Service, and the girl I talked to said the same thing... Once I had them exchanged once, that's it... So now I get a refund... No more 30% off :(
Wondering if I should jump on the 50% off on #2 screen (25% effective) or just get a 2405 or a 23" apple or the HP...

Yonzie said:
OMG lol...
Just talked to Dell tech support, and the guy actually tried to troubleshoot my problem, so I told him to look at the picture I have also posted here. He went away to talk to his boss. When he came back, he told me that this was "normal"... :eek: :confused: And that I couldn't get an exchange...

Then I called Customer Service, and the girl I talked to said the same thing... Once I had them exchanged once, that's it... So now I get a refund... No more 30% off :(
Wondering if I should jump on the 50% off on #2 screen (25% effective) or just get a 2405 or a 23" apple or the HP...
I heard that the online support chat feature is the best way to get your exchanges done. The current deal on the 2005fpw is better than what you got yours for so you could get another one. Was your 2005fpw a July revision?

What was your problem with your LCD exactly? I get mine today and I am going to be fully testing it ASAP for backlight and dead pixel issues.

FluxCap said:
I heard that the online support chat feature is the best way to get your exchanges done. The current deal on the 2005fpw is better than what you got yours for so you could get another one. Was your 2005fpw a July revision?

What was your problem with your LCD exactly? I get mine today and I am going to be fully testing it ASAP for backlight and dead pixel issues.
AFAIK, we don't have online chat support here... :(

Look on the previous page for the picture. It was the backlight, it's always the backlight...

I don't get any video signal when I first turn on my computer. The lights are orange when I boot up and right when it gets to the logon screen, it all shows up fine.

System is an ati radeon 8500 + winxp + 2005fpw. Latest ati drivers, dell monitor driver installed as well.

I have none of these problems when I use the vga cable. Any idea why i'm not getting video signal on bootup?

i just got mine. wow. its cool. :)
oh yea, so i can't find any dead pixels, and what is this backlight problem everyone talks about? i don't get it, i turned off all the lights in my room and i can't see any 'leaking' in the edges..

dingobiatch said:
i just got mine. wow. its cool. :)
oh yea, so i can't find any dead pixels, and what is this backlight problem everyone talks about? i don't get it, i turned off all the lights in my room and i can't see any 'leaking' in the edges..
when you first boot up with dvi, do you get the same problem as me? (see post above yours)

gdong said:
when you first boot up with dvi, do you get the same problem as me? (see post above yours)

Seems like its just the way your 8500 card works. Get something newer.

My Friend just bought this monitor and when he got it and booted up he got these lines that go across on white spots on the screen, like when there is certain areas in a game, or on the desktop there are little lines like refresh lines at all resolutions.
Same time he got the monitor he got the BFG 6800GTOC PCI-Express, so right now he's trying to figure out if it's the video card or the monitor.
Please help if you can

OK, i think im going to jump on the 389 deal (promised myself i would), but i only have a ti4200. I just checked the resolutions and 1680x1050 was not supported, so i went into the nvidia settings and added it, and it worked. I tried the res on my current monitor, and it seemed to pop up ok, (refresh rate 72) but everything was compressed, which i assume is because my monitor is a 4:3 phillips 109b. should i worry about the resolution with this card? will games be able to play on it w/out res problems? and should i worry about the vga to dvi adapter plug i will be using?

Orange.exe said:
OK, i think im going to jump on the 389 deal (promised myself i would), but i only have a ti4200. I just checked the resolutions and 1680x1050 was not supported, so i went into the nvidia settings and added it, and it worked. I tried the res on my current monitor, and it seemed to pop up ok, (refresh rate 72) but everything was compressed, which i assume is because my monitor is a 4:3 phillips 109b. should i worry about the resolution with this card? will games be able to play on it w/out res problems? and should i worry about the vga to dvi adapter plug i will be using?

Yes everything will look compressed bcause that is a 16:9 ratio, and your monitor is only a 4:9

it will look find on the LCD.

I got my 2005fpw today. Tiny backlight leakage in the bottom left only (very tiny)and no dead pixels. What tests do I need to run to check pixels? I thought there was one.

Playing WoW on this is amazing at the native rez.

kelbear said:
2005fpw down to 389 using these two coupons: W34XRDP2KW2K90, and C07TR1WFGJ18SF

That was the deal I've been waiting for. I've been holding out the last four weeks for it to drop beneath the $400 price point. I just purchased my first LCD tonight. Can't wait to sample some of that wide screen goodness. Glad I waited.

I'm interested in this display, but does anyone know if the coupons are instant off or if they're MIR? If it's $389 instant I'm in...

dripgoss said:
I'm interested in this display, but does anyone know if the coupons are instant off or if they're MIR? If it's $389 instant I'm in...

It's your lucky day :). They're applied instantly!

Can one of you guys give the measurements on the Dell 20 inch widescreen? Just the screen its self the width and Height not the bezel.

Im thinking about going with the deal or the Dell 19 inch LCD one of the
two. If anybody has a Dell Ultra sharp 19 inch would like the screen measurements on that 2 thanks Guy's.

Go4hunter said:
Can one of you guys give the measurements on the Dell 20 inch widescreen? Just the screen its self the width and Height not the bezel.

Im thinking about going with the deal or the Dell 19 inch LCD one of the
two. If anybody has a Dell Ultra sharp 19 inch would like the screen measurements on that 2 thanks Guy's.

The height is around 11.5" and the width is approximately 18.5".

Back