Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

Alright thanks, screen feels wierd to my eyes, probably since I'm used to a crt.

BTW: Something I whipped up for someone, shows comparison of widescreen gaming.

cs-compared.jpg

n64man120 said:
Alright thanks, screen feels wierd to my eyes, probably since I'm used to a crt.

Do you have any pics of your screen in dim/dark lighting on a blank screensaver?

No, i did the blank screen save check and it looks black to me. Room has tons of windows and it'ts still bright outside... so havn't been in the dark yet.

My monitor just came today and it looks quite awesome! Is it normal to see the backlight from angles? I don't see it straight ahead but on the sides its quite apparent.

Dethshaft said:
My monitor just came today and it looks quite awesome! Is it normal to see the backlight from angles? I don't see it straight ahead but on the sides its quite apparent.

Do you have any pics of the monitor in a dim/dark room with a blank black screensaver? How does yours compare to my pic on the previous page?

w00t! shipped today and will get here tomorrow. Shipped from nevada and i live in San Diego, so i could of just waited an extra day and saved $40. o well

How's mine? Looks a bit less severe in darkness. I don't see why it's a problem if you can see the backlighting, but everyone talks about it so... diagnose mine ;)

backlight.jpg

I can take a pic but its probably the same as n64man's screen. This won't be used for gaming though, I just needed a screen with a higher resolution. to me, I am not sure it would be that annoying when playing games, but this is why I use my 22" CRT for gaming :)

Just got my 2005FPW yesterday. No bad pixels and only some fairly light backlight bleeding similar to n64man's picture after it has been on for a while. When cool, the bleeding is not really viewable at all. Overall I am very impressed outside of the light bleeding. Playing WOW, HL2, FarCry and more is a pure joy in widescreen.

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Revision A01 Mexico (April), received today.

bleed.jpg

Seems as if all the Mexican units are trash.

phide said:
Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Revision A01 Mexico (April), received today.

Seems as if all the Mexican units are trash.

Are you going to exchange, refund, or keep?

What did you do to get it to display all black?

Edit: Found something to do just that:

Show Me The Colors!

No stuck pixels, here's the results from my back-in-blackground test with a DCam
backbleed.jpg

REV A01 - MFG Date APR 2005

Not horrible, but not all that great. I'm going to watch a few scenes from the Matrix tomorrow, and if I can't stand the look I'll call for a replacement. I ain't afraid of no customer service reps.

n64man120 said:
Another sweet pic I took to share with you all. Forum browsing shall never be the same again :D

http://www.egaertner.com/images/tall.jpg

Haha. I was messing with that last night. The monitor seems to be the perfect width in portrait mode to fit websites. It was really nice for browsing. Then with that nice stand they give us you can easily just turn it to landscape for games. Really awesome. I don't think I could go back to any non-widescreen monitor now.

I'm on the edge of buying this, but I don't start my new job until the end of June. I don't want to pass up this deal for $398, so I was thinking about doing their payment thing for a couple months then paying it off when I get my first check.

Does anyone know how Dell does their payment thing? Is there interest? Can I do a payment for a couple months then pay the rest off? I'm coming up empty on their website except for being a preferred account or something.

i just took the plunge....$397! i hope it doesnt have that backlighting problem. does anyone have the % of the screens that are RMAed?

ericlikeseatin said:
i just took the plunge....$397! i hope it doesnt have that backlighting problem. does anyone have the % of the screens that are RMAed?
Where exactly did you order from? I just got paid, if the deal is still up I'm gonna order one.

How do I get my screen to do the "long" ways? I flipped it yet it didnt do anything...Thx!

yfz450 said:
How do I get my screen to do the "long" ways? I flipped it yet it didnt do anything...Thx!

sorry, but ahaha

you have to go into your display properties and click on advanced. it should be in there somewhere.

The new ones from May are starting to show up. Has anyone else got a Revision A01 Mexico (May).

EDIT: Is it ok to put something on top of the 2005FPW? I noticed that it has holes that gives out heat, and I was wondering if putting two figurines on the top could damage it.

unohoo said:
I have a May Revision A02.

How is the backlighting? Do you have any pictures of this monitor in a dim/dark room on a black background? I'm curious what's new with the revision. I'm hoping they've improved on the backlighting and that's why they've been blowing out the A01 monitors lately.

OK one of mine just got here, I'm on it now. Looks good so far (Mexico A1 rev). Taking pictures now.

dissonance said:
How is the backlighting? Do you have any pictures of this monitor in a dim/dark room on a black background? I'm curious what's new with the revision. I'm hoping they've improved on the backlighting and that's why they've been blowing out the A01 monitors lately.
Sadly, the backlighting issue haven't improved much. My monitor has noticeable bleeding (and 1 dead pixel). The dead pixel doesn't really bother me, but the bleeding is rather annoying and might force me to ask for a replacement.

Here's a picture:
backlight.jpg

I'm going to have to wait till it's dark to get a more accurate picture of my bleeding. Right now with all the lights out it's still pretty light here so it's tough to tell if I have a lot of bleeding or not. One stuck pixel (blue), going to massage later. I won't spam with a ton of pics so here are a few. Click here for the rest.

Out with the old!

910.jpg

In with the new!

Chronicles of Riddick. First game I could think of that supported 1680x1050 and had some dark scenes.
fp02.jpg

Close up. The pixels are tiny, but I am still getting used to the resolution.
fp05.jpg

I guess I lucked out. Compared to my Viewsonic VX910 and Hyundia LD90 this looks very good. They all have similar (very little) bleeding. Just a tiny bit up near the top right corner. This is also a Mexican A01. I guess it's a crap shoot. I will let you know how the second turns out.

fp10.jpg

dissonance said:
Are you going to exchange, refund, or keep?

Replacing with the Apple. Same panel, better design, no QC issues.

That is, unless, I can find a 23" 16:10 for around the same price ($800). Anyone?

Good Gawd!

I think I have the solution for all of you that can't stand to look at these Dells with these terrible bleeding issues. Please carefully pack the monitors back up and ship them promptly to me at:

:p
I'd B. Happy
123 Crybaby Ln
Analretentionville, USA 90210
:p

Really...some of these "issues" I'd love to have...I'd gladly take an additional 2005FPW for my room! I think for $400 it's a damn fine monitor...Mine's got a little bit of bleeding...but nothing to boo hoo about.

my lcd will be on its way back to dell very soon.

im not going to deal with returns and trying to get a good monitor, it should have been good right outta the box. I cant imagine how someone who spent 700 bucks on this thing feels but i only spent 400 and i still feel screwed.

oh and i have to pay for the return shipping on a 24 pound box... thanks dell you just lost another customer.

erebus1 said:
my lcd will be on its way back to dell very soon.

im not going to deal with returns and trying to get a good monitor, it should have been good right outta the box. I cant imagine how someone who spent 700 bucks on this thing feels but i only spent 400 and i still feel screwed.

oh and i have to pay for the return shipping on a 24 pound box... thanks dell you just lost another customer.

you should of known after reading the forums that this monitor is a hit and miss.

I have a very very very small amount of bleeding... I'm using a background of a picture of the moon with dark sky around it and notice nothing at all... same goes for this forum

I only can spot it when i turn off all my lights, turn my brightness all the way up and put a blank screensaver up and even then I have to look for it

no dead pixels either so I'm happy with it
it's an A01 From Mexico manufactured in April

erebus1 said:
what should happen is a lawsuit.

That'll help you how? Class action yada yada and some lawyers get new Porches. Actual accomplishment has value of or near zero.

Back