Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

TimothyB said:
Get a new cord to extend the xbox one. But buy one with a headphone jack at one end and two (white and red) female composites at the other end. That way you can connect the red and white cables from the xbox to this new cable then connect the other end to the line-in on your computer's sound card. Unmute line-in to hear the sound through your computer speakers.

Just make sure when you get one of those cables that it's stereo and not mono. Just check radioshack, goodguys, circuit city, bestbuy. Might cost $5-$10, depending on length and quality.

If you want s-video you'll have to go to a store that sells consoles and buy the offfical wires with s-video. Not sure how much that cost.

This is my suggestion as well. Radio Shack would be the bet IMO for the RCA to Stereo 1/8 inch adapter. I have done this w/a PS2 before w/a TV card on my PC. How does the picture look w/the xbox on the 2005fpw?? I would really like to know.

thanks

jay

jbird239 said:
This is my suggestion as well. Radio Shack would be the bet IMO for the RCA to Stereo 1/8 inch adapter. I have done this w/a PS2 before w/a TV card on my PC. How does the picture look w/the xbox on the 2005fpw?? I would really like to know.

thanks

jay

Too bad he didn't have the s-video cable right now so he could tell us there difference between it and composite as it would probably have much more of a profound effect than on a TV.

TimothyB said:
Too bad he didn't have the s-video cable right now so he could tell us there difference between it and composite as it would probably have much more of a profound effect than on a TV.

No doubt. I would still like to hear how well it looks w/the hookup he has running. I really want to use my ps2 on my 2005fpw when it gets here so my wife can stop bitching about the shit being all over the living room if you know what i mean........

jay

I plugged my PS2 into the 2005fpw via s-video, and I have to say it looked like ass. The PS2 is way too low resolution to interpolate down on this screen, it really emphasises the PS2 video blemishes.

I couldn't get the PS2 into "wide screen" mode via the setup on s-video, is this the same as the GameCube's requirement for component outputs to go into wide resolution? Anybody know how we could possibly get a component input into the 2005fpw?

BinaryJay said:
I plugged my PS2 into the 2005fpw via s-video, and I have to say it looked like ass. The PS2 is way too low resolution to interpolate down on this screen, it really emphasises the PS2 video blemishes.

I couldn't get the PS2 into "wide screen" mode via the setup on s-video, is this the same as the GameCube's requirement for component outputs to go into wide resolution? Anybody know how we could possibly get a component input into the 2005fpw?

Maybe a component to vga transcoder? I don't have enough nerve to order a $150+ transcoder to find out though.

jay

Dell currently has a deal on 2001FP(W) this month.

my company buys many Dell products every other month. Usually we get stuff buy 2 or 3 and get one free. Im going to try to get 2 or 3 2001FP(W) and get 1 free. Assuming i buy 2 get 1 free, it would put the price at 366 or so. If i buy 3 get 1 free it would put it at 412.50 or so.

i just want 2. Would anyone be interested in buying the other 1 or 2 monitors off me?

i got my 2005
no back light issue no dead pixel
dell2_SyZC.jpg

As promised here are the pics of my 2005fpw

Very very very minimal blacklight leakage almost unapparent. Only visible if we search for it.

DSC01126.JPG
DSC01111.JPG
DSC01123.JPG
DSC01114.JPG

Pretty sweet! Plus the pictures really don't do it justice. In person this monitor is super crisp and amazing!

Vertical shot

DSC011272.jpg

Overall 2005fpw you make me soooo happy! BTW it is the Rev. A01 and built January 05 in Mexico.

Mine has shipped, all the recent monitors seem to have no problems so I am happy.

I myself have been giving serious thought as to getting one of these in awhile.

Dell wants $999 canadian for it... (that would be about 800 US) :(

Shapeshifter said:
I myself have been giving serious thought as to getting one of these in awhile.

Dell wants $999 canadian for it... (that would be about 800 US) :(

I just bought one (RIGHT NOW) for $849 CAD + tax ($976.35) with free shipping, talk to them on the phone @ 1-800-387-5752 where you get nice Canadians to speak to (Tell them about the USA deal etc).... getting it in a week... ugh, still more money than the USA counterpart.

GodSpeed said:
I just bought one (RIGHT NOW) for $849 CAD + tax ($976.35) with free shipping, talk to them on the phone @ 1-800-387-5752 where you get nice Canadians to speak to (Tell them about the USA deal etc).... getting it in a week... ugh, still more money than the USA counterpart.

Even @ 850 - that is still out of whack with where the exchange is ... I think Dell is milking Canadians! When you can get it at 750 - then that would be more in line with the exchange rate, imo.

I have a slim PS2 coming my way and I plan on hooking it up to my 2005FPW. I see this has come up on the last couple pages or so. Anyone know how do so while having the best video quality?

CRXican said:
I have a slim PS2 coming my way and I plan on hooking it up to my 2005FPW. I see this has come up on the last couple pages or so. Anyone know how do so while having the best video quality?

I tried my XBox via the composite in and full screen did not look good. It was playable, but PIP or PBP looked just fine.

LittleMe said:
I tried my XBox via the composite in and full screen did not look good. It was playable, but PIP or PBP looked just fine.
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll figure the PIP thing out, what is PBP?

Here is a picture of my 2005fpw in complete darkness. Very very minimal black light bleeding is even noticeable.

nobleed2005fpw.jpg

My shipment just disappeared from the UPS site. It tracked this afternoon and said something about "shipment information received." Later on I checked back but I couldn't track the shipment.

Is this normal?

mine too...the server must be down or something...its not just gonna disapear off the semi tho so no worries lol

fusionrs said:
Here is a picture of my 2005fpw in complete darkness. Very very minimal black light bleeding is even noticeable.

nobleed2005fpw.jpg

Umm, that's a half naked chick - not a monitor. Not complaining though.

CRXican said:
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll figure the PIP thing out, what is PBP?

PIP = Picture in Picture.
pip.jpg

PBP = Picture beside Picture.
pbp.jpg

Sorry it's blurry. Didn't take the second one very well.

These shots are Halo2 on my 2005fpw via composite input.

So the new batch of Dell 2005FPW's, ones made in Jan, have little or no light bleeding? If there is a bit of light bleeding, how annoying is it? It's still from the 4 corners right?

jsn117 said:
quick question: how do you hook up the sound with a ps2/xbox?

I have a set of bose's speakers for my computer that have dual inputs that allow you to mix the channels. I just have the channel set in the middle of A and B inputs.

Sgt_Strider said:
So the new batch of Dell 2005FPW's, ones made in Jan, have little or no light bleeding? If there is a bit of light bleeding, how annoying is it? It's still from the 4 corners right?

I haven't heard of these. Can somebody fill us in on this that has any info.

Thanks

jay

LittleMe said:
Umm, that's a half naked chick - not a monitor. Not complaining though.

Fixed now some jackass uploaded and replaced the picture that I had up there...

fusionrs said:
Fixed now some jackass uploaded and replaced the picture that I had up there...
NICE!!! I hope mine ends up being that good. I ordered on Friday afternoon.

jay

just out of curiosity, why is everyone buying the 2005 instead of the 2001? It make look cooler, but you are losing workspace b/c of the aspect ratio.

Technically and visually, is the 2005 that much better than the 2001?

For me it is the ability to display widescreen materail in games, movies ect....

You right that w/the 2005fpw you loose some work space to the 2001 about 150,000 i think. But this monitor seems to be gear for the widescreen lover.

jay

jbird239 said:
For me it is the ability to display widescreen materail in games, movies ect....

You right that w/the 2005fpw you loose some work space to the 2001 about 150,000 i think. But this monitor seems to be gear for the widescreen lover.

jay

Quite frankly raw work space versus usable arer two differente things. I Like working my spread sheets using the wide screen , it saves on scrolling

oh man...im itching to get the 2005's over the 2001's.

For me...it will cost me 400 even each if i get dual LCD's....but then like another 200-300 for a dual DVI card. arggggg.....maybe i should just wait till i get my tax return. hehe.

jacuzz1 said:
Quite frankly raw work space versus usable arer two differente things. I Like working my spread sheets using the wide screen , it saves on scrolling

I agree with that. Side by Side work areas are very egronomic.

jay

There are LESS issues with that January revision, yes... but there is still a chance you can get a screen with bleeding. Though, strangely enough, I tried what someone in this thread did (left the monitor face-down on a hard surface - with the screen protector/packaging so no scratches of course, after taking it off the stand still hot) and the bleeding is almost gone :eek:

Anyway, the widescreen panel is slightly better quality, IMO. And no "screendoor effect" as compared to the 2001.

As for the Canadian price, it's not that they are milking Canadians, it's just that the monitors are manufactured in the states. Which means, they have to be shipped here (more expensive) and border duty charges have to be paid on each one (which is incredibly expensive on a $1000 monitor). I got mine for $750 a while back, but that's after a shitload of complaining because I originally spoke to the sales people from India and they told me it was "discontinued". I laughed, called back, complained like a bitch, and they let me have one for that price. This was when they were on sale for $850 on dell.ca, though.

Steve

jacuzz1 said:

Yeah, but the screen is only 80pixels wider than the 2001fp, so it's not a that big of a difference.

steviep said:
As for the Canadian price, it's not that they are milking Canadians, it's just that the monitors are manufactured in the states. Which means, they have to be shipped here (more expensive) and border duty charges have to be paid on each one (which is incredibly expensive on a $1000 monitor). I got mine for $750 a while back, but that's after a shitload of complaining because I originally spoke to the sales people from India and they told me it was "discontinued". I laughed, called back, complained like a bitch, and they let me have one for that price. This was when they were on sale for $850 on dell.ca, though.

Steve

Sort of makes you wonder about NAFTA ... or perhaps I am just a wee bit too cynical ;)

Back