Dell and AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
the world is ending. Apple moves to Intel and Thinkpads have moved to China...and now AMD in Dell's!!!

i am gonna return all my overdue video rentals and library books.

Honestly...It is about time, and Dell knows this, that is why it has finally happened. it also makes sense for Intel to not be too heavy handed with the current suit AMD is pressing against Intel. i think Dell saw the need and benefit (to market share and share holders) by using AMD and Intel, and moved when it was "right" for Dell. it would not be a good idea for Intel to flex its muscle with Dell at this point in time...it would not look very good in court, and Dell knows this as well.

sometimes it comes down to opportunity and timing. i think things finally fell into place, and Dell is in business to make money.

I seriously wonder if Intel gave Dell the green light to do this now that they have put AMD back in their place. It would be a great PR move for Intel (now no longer seen as the big bad bully in the hardware industry), but with C2D available no one will be buying AMD-based Dells. Intel wins in both sales and PR.

Just speculation.

You'd be naive to believe "no one will be buying AMD-based Dells". Plenty of people will be buying them. Not everyone wants "Intel Inside". It will all come down to price, availability and customer loyalty. If someone wants a Dell and prefers AMD based systems they now will have the opportuinity to buy just what they want.
xxGriff is right - its all about the bottom line. People have been clamoring for AMD based Dells for quite some time. Perhaps Intel did give them the ok to open up, perhaps not. Perhaps Intel is giving Apple preferential treatment in comparison to Dell and Dell doesn't like it - perhaps not. The fact of the matter is - it doesn't matter why its happening - all that matters is that it is happening. Dell has an opportunity to cash in on a wider market segment and lord knows they need to increase revenues after a miserable last quarter. Money talks, people - and Dell needs to make more to appease their investors. The best way to do that is to diversify and tap a larger market segment. Regardless of Conroe's presence, AMD is a market force to be reckoned with. Dell has finally realized this new reality and wants in on the action. They'd be stupid not to go after additional market share. HP has been kicking it up (with AMD based systems, mind you) and Dell needs to counter. Its free market consumerism at its finest.

You forget that the AMD systems could be more expensive than the Intel ones. Sure, you can get a 3800 X2 for $100 less than an E6300, but that's in retail. Let's face it, Intel is selling Dell these processors for a few dollars a piece, and can continue to do so because of the large ammount Dell buys from them. Will AMD be able to offer the same highly aggressive pricing? Probably not, since Dell will be purchasing much less AMD chips than Intel chips.

Of course, that's only what I think is logical. AMD could go all out on pricing aggression and offer Dell these things for dirt-cheap. Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong - the Intel offerings are superior in performance as has been seen. But not everyone is a geek like us :p . Plus there are those who will never buy an Intel product no matter what. As noted on page 1, if Intel is no longer offering such deep discounts to Dell as they used to and AMD can supply enough chips to satisfy demand at a reasonable price then it is wise for Dell to expand into the marketplace. Its always better to cover as many bases as possible rather than to put all your eggs into one basket (yeah I know - lots of cliches :D ). Dell will, no doubt, sell more Intel boxes than AMD's but if they can make a profit on both then that's good business. And like I said, after last quarter's numbers they need some additional sales.

BigMacAttack said:
If someone wants a Dell and prefers AMD based systems they now will have the opportuinity to buy just what they want.

But isn’t that an Oxy-moron?

Folks who’d want an AMD based system have been taught to hate Dell. They've been called cheats, pitiful support, shabby, cheap, buggy, breakdown prone and etc.. Now since they’re selling AMD processors all of that has changed?

They only real reason Dell is now using AMD products is because Intel removed the Sweetheart deals they’d been getting. I agree with the folks saying this action by Dell is a year late.

True Donny - lots of techy types who hate Dell may never buy one. But we techy types are really a small minority among the general population. Dell wouldn't do this if they didn't think they'd make money on the deal.
Besides - people are fickle - you know that was well as I do. :p

Some of the clients i have are committed to Dell. not Intel or AMD, but the the Dell name brand in and of itself (just like Chevy/Ford etc..). regardless of what i personally may think about a Dell system or the company itself, i will provide the services i agreed upon for clients that have me build their systems, or ask me which model Dell they should order. now i can look to AMD based, maybe a nice Sempron instead of Celeron :rolleyes:

the notion that Conroe and Intel's roadmap spell doom for AMD and/or that the x64/X2 CPU's cannot compete is non-sense, just as the reverse was said about Intel's Net-burst P4's (Intel may have lost some $$$ and market share but in no stretch of the imagination did this indicate Intel would not be able to compete on more than just pricing). Each have customer loyalty as well as pros and cons to their respective technologies. I for one am glad that i have more of a choice when it comes to helping a client purchase a Dell system when they request/insist on the Dell name brand. the Conroe is a much needed product, and anyone who counted Intel out must have been eating thermometers or paint chips. the other side is AMD will have to keep up delivery and yields, as well as bring improvements to the Athlon and Opteron line. Intel helped push AMD to the K7 and K8, just as AMD made Conro and Woodcrest necessary NOW.

I firmly beleive that Market factors and legal issues definitely contributed to the current state of things, and we will probably never know the why's and why nots of any of it. I am just glad it did occur, not because AMD is the underdog or any fan-boy nonsense. just because it provides me and my clients more choices, and that is a Good thing. no more Celerons! heh

GRAMPS said:
My take on this is its all about $$$$$ nothing else. Its business and that means what is good for the bottom line is all that matters.
Seeing the word "bottom line" reminds me of the following line by a former WWE wrestler:
"And that's the bottom line, 'cuz Stone Cold said so!" :D

Too bad for Dell that AMD doesn't make batteries. :p

Atheist said:
Does it really matter from a performance perspective what with Core/Core2 Duo?

Nope. From a performance view, core/core 2 duo is all that matters. Now its more core 2 duo on a laptop, or core/core 2 duo on a macbook.

YARDofSTUF said:
Nope. From a performance view, core/core 2 duo is all that matters. Now its more core 2 duo on a laptop, or core/core 2 duo on a macbook.

Sup Alan. :D

BigMacAttack said:
You'd be naive to believe "no one will be buying AMD-based Dells". Plenty of people will be buying them. Not everyone wants "Intel Inside". It will all come down to price, availability and customer loyalty. If someone wants a Dell and prefers AMD based systems they now will have the opportuinity to buy just what they want.
xxGriff is right - its all about the bottom line. People have been clamoring for AMD based Dells for quite some time. Perhaps Intel did give them the ok to open up, perhaps not. Perhaps Intel is giving Apple preferential treatment in comparison to Dell and Dell doesn't like it - perhaps not. The fact of the matter is - it doesn't matter why its happening - all that matters is that it is happening. Dell has an opportunity to cash in on a wider market segment and lord knows they need to increase revenues after a miserable last quarter. Money talks, people - and Dell needs to make more to appease their investors. The best way to do that is to diversify and tap a larger market segment. Regardless of Conroe's presence, AMD is a market force to be reckoned with. Dell has finally realized this new reality and wants in on the action. They'd be stupid not to go after additional market share. HP has been kicking it up (with AMD based systems, mind you) and Dell needs to counter. Its free market consumerism at its finest.

The people that would only buy AMD only over Dell wihtin Dell's intended market are minimal. My parents are the mind of people who buy off the shelf PCs, and they will only buy Intel based machines. Given that any P4 can do basic desktop duty as well as any A64 and that Core 2 Duo chips can beat any A64 X2 in gaming setups AMD doesn't have any ground to stand on. I will say again, this is purely a PR move, I will believe it when I see Dimension or XPS machines for sale with AMD chips.

NulloModo said:
The people that would only buy AMD only over Dell wihtin Dell's intended market are minimal. My parents are the mind of people who buy off the shelf PCs, and they will only buy Intel based machines. Given that any P4 can do basic desktop duty as well as any A64 and that Core 2 Duo chips can beat any A64 X2 in gaming setups AMD doesn't have any ground to stand on. I will say again, this is purely a PR move, I will believe it when I see Dimension or XPS machines for sale with AMD chips.

My mom was the same way, but at least she let me build hers. I told her that the A64 was faster in most apps, and that the Northwood-C she wanted wouldn't support 64-bit apps, but she held her ground. I think it was the right decision - hyperthreading FTW!

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
My mom was the same way, but at least she let me build hers. I told her that the A64 was faster in most apps, and that the Northwood-C she wanted wouldn't support 64-bit apps, but she held her ground. I think it was the right decision - hyperthreading FTW!

First of all Hyperthreading is an Intel only App, and as far as I know not known on the Norhtwood CPUs, and the likelyhood of you mom needing 64 bit or even installing XP64 unless you did it for her (I know my parents never installed any OS) (0 - none).

NulloModo said:
Believe what you want - Dell isn't stupid. They need revenue. The best way to do that is expand your market segment which they have finally chosen to do. I'll say it again - you're naive if you think this won't happen and they won't make money on it. Business is driven by one thing - profit. If it wasn't projected to be profitable they wouldn't do it.
I'm not being a fanb** - just stating facts. Sure, we all know Core 2 Duo and Conroe are good equipment (as seen so far), but as we all know, not everyone will buy it. The market is a WHOLE lot bigger than you can wrap your mind around. AMD based Dell machines will sell. They won't sell in the numbers that Intel will, of course, but they will sell. And also consider; this is just the opening of the door for Dell. They aren't just thinking short-term with this move. There is a lot of stuff coming down the pike from both Intel and AMD. With this move Dell positions themselves to be able to offer not only present tech but future as well. With K8L coming on line sometime next year Dell will be able to be in the forefront of suppliers offering these systems. Its called "diversifcation." Smart money managers and businesses diversify to hedge themselves against market fluctuations. Its good money management and good business practice.
BTW - it won't be long before you see the AMD badge on a Dell desktop machine. A lot of folks just couldn't believe that AMD would buy ATI 6 months ago. I heard a lot of "this is bogus, I won't believe it until I see it" junk back then too. Now all I can do is just smile and say "I told you so." Remember this conversation 6 months (or less) from now.

anybody who thinks the preformance we care about matters in the real computer market is a fucking idiot. everyday people come to me and are like what computer should i get, i show them and its alway oh i only wanted to spend 700 bucks or something along that line, its price that matters, thats it. and i do think this has to do with the lawsuit.. for YEARS dell got special prices on intel cpu's and motherboards and the like. the lawsuit made them stop that practice, that means dell is paying the same price as everyone else, makes it harder for them to lowball everyone, now that they diversified there cpu they can. because most people who buy the amd cpu's wont even know it

Almost every single adult (mom/dad's friends or my co-workers) that visits my house and is looking to buy a new computer asks me what kind of Pentium processor I have in my computer. I tell them its an AMD and they have NOT A CLUE what it is.. that is pretty scary, lol. Its like not even knowing what a Chevy is if you drove a Ford your whole life. I think most of the target consumers of Dell just know what a Dell is because they are a big name and know they carry "Pentium". When they see AMD, they will be like "wtf mayte? plz explain" or they'll just loose business. heh. Well, maybe not to that extreme, but they will probably lose some customers that don't know any better and "want a pentium".

thats just it, they have no fucking clue what amd is, they wont know they arn't getting intel inside

w1retap said:
Almost every single adult (mom/dad's friends or my co-workers) that visits my house and is looking to buy a new computer asks me what kind of Pentium processor I have in my computer. I tell them its an AMD and they have NOT A CLUE what it is.. that is pretty scary, lol. Its like not even knowing what a Chevy is if you drove a Ford your whole life. I think most of the target consumers of Dell just know what a Dell is because they are a big name and know they carry "Pentium". When they see AMD, they will be like "wtf mayte? I dont want anything but Intel" or they'll just loose business. heh. Well, maybe not to that extreme, but they will probably lose some customers that don't know any better and "want a pentium".
Fixed. The Pentium name is a name in the mind of every American on planet earth. The Pentium name sells, and for that reason alone I think these AMD machines are nothing more than a PR move.

Let's face it: the only people who want an AMD computer are people who are already AMD fans. Every AMD fan on planet earth has been brainwashed to think Dell is the antichrist. Joe Sixpack will NOT buy an AMD system for the simple fact that it doesn't have the "Intel Inside" logo on the front.

Look at the impact HP is having on Dell's sales. Go into Best Buy, Circuit City or any number of other electronic retailers and see what they have in their machines. They are mostly AMD equipped. HP, eMachines and others are selling well in these venues with AMD cpu's inside. You are right, Rasha, in that the average, everyday person really doesn't care what cpu is in the box - as long as it seems to run fast enough for them on the showroom floor and the price is right they'll buy it. This is where the real mass market is at. Enthusiasts like us know better and know what we are looking for, be it Core 2, AM2, P4, or Skt 939. Price still matters to us but we are looking for the best bang for our buck in a way Joe P. Consumer isn't.
Dell wants in on this action. Remember the ad campaing "dude, you're gettin' a Dell!" ? Dell is a big name in the consumer market and also in the corporate segment. Give the people a good computer at a low price and they'll eat it up reagrdless of whose cpu is in it. As long as it is fast enough to do what they want it to do, reliable and affordable it'll sell.
Now all Dell has to do is make sure their customer service gets back to where it was...the last time I called them about our company's server (Intel inside) I got either Pakistan or India but at least they were helpful. Online tech stumbled a little on the first go 'round but we got it resolved thereafter.

Rasha said:
thats just it, they have no fucking clue what amd is, they wont know they arn't getting intel inside

No, I think you don't get it. Most folks I deal with know exactly what in the hell they want no matter what AMD fans say. Many of these folks had AMD based Compaq, HP and Emachines that died on them, while the Intel buying friends are still using old systems.
Hell I had one newbie asked me if I could installed a DVD-RW in his P3-450 LOL!

I can show pics of the bottom of heatsinks that look like a it was nuked, and impression of the AthlonXP 2700+ processor is clearly seen burnt-in. Pleasee don't get me started on cracked cores.

Most folks are on their 3 to 5th PC. Even when folks are buying their first computer, doesn't mean they've never had a computer. Maybe they used someone else's, used one at work or even mom's and dad's at home! It's hard to find a totally NEW user.

I know, I mean who would want to buy an AMD processor with them catching fire and searing the logo onto the heat sink and then exploding or cracking down the middle of fault lines making earthquakes. Sounds way to dangerous. I think Dell should hold off.

BigMacAttack said:
Look at the impact HP is having on Dell's sales. Go into Best Buy, Circuit City or any number of other electronic retailers and see what they have in their machines. They are mostly AMD equipped. HP, eMachines and others are selling well in these venues with AMD cpu's inside. You are right, Rasha, in that the average, everyday person really doesn't care what cpu is in the box - as long as it seems to run fast enough for them on the showroom floor and the price is right they'll buy it. This is where the real mass market is at. Enthusiasts like us know better and know what we are looking for, be it Core 2, AM2, P4, or Skt 939. Price still matters to us but we are looking for the best bang for our buck in a way Joe P. Consumer isn't.
Dell wants in on this action. Remember the ad campaing "dude, you're gettin' a Dell!" ? Dell is a big name in the consumer market and also in the corporate segment. Give the people a good computer at a low price and they'll eat it up reagrdless of whose cpu is in it. As long as it is fast enough to do what they want it to do, reliable and affordable it'll sell.
Now all Dell has to do is make sure their customer service gets back to where it was...the last time I called them about our company's server (Intel inside) I got either Pakistan or India but at least they were helpful. Online tech stumbled a little on the first go 'round but we got it resolved thereafter.

You might want to check you facts? HP, Gateway and even EMachine before they were bought by Gateway have always sold more Intel PCs than AMD based rigs=P Dell didn't sell in the retail space like CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City and or etc.......

HP made money and took away server market share on the Opteron servers, Dell didn't loose squat on Desktops compared to HP or Gateway as all Desktop sales have slowed. Top sellers are Laptops and 2 way servers, next 4 way, then cheap lowend Desktops. Intel took back market share in the 2nd quarter and is killing AMD in this one. No I don't mean putting AMD out of business LOL!

AMD processors in Dell Desktops is like trying to sell Honda Car owners Accords with Ford engines;) Even if that was a good Ford engine, Honda owners wouldn't touch it.

donnie i can't disagree with you more. your right in the sense that everyone goes pentium this intel this. most people dont know anything else exists. your average joe you got intel and mac, thats it, anything that runs windows is an intel pentium whatever. they dont actualy give a fuck. you obviously hate on amd and thats fine, everyone likes what they like. personaly i have 2 intel machines and 3 amd ones, never had a problem. the problems you describe sound like the finaly assembly was a shitty ass job to me. but there is no point in getting in a war over it now. lets wait and see what happense

Donnie27 said:
You might want to check you facts? HP, Gateway and even EMachine before they were bought by Gateway have always sold more Intel PCs than AMD based rigs=P Dell didn't sell in the retail space like CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City and or etc.......

HP made money and took away server market share on the Opteron servers, Dell didn't loose squat on Desktops compared to HP or Gateway as all Desktop sales have slowed. Top sellers are Laptops and 2 way servers, next 4 way, then cheap lowend Desktops. Intel took back market share in the 2nd quarter and is killing AMD in this one. No I don't mean putting AMD out of business LOL!

AMD processors in Dell Desktops is like trying to sell Honda Car owners Accords with Ford engines;) Even if that was a good Ford engine, Honda owners wouldn't touch it.
I disagree with some of what you said. I know for sure that AMD finally outsold Intel in terms of B&M-purchased PCs. I believe that happened around a year ago. So if people were pissed off at AMD for some poor processors, such as you mentioned, then AMD wouldn't have outsold Intel. Also, if you want to bring up old lemon processors by AMD, then one also has to mention Intel's math-challenged processors from the '90s.

Donnie27 said:

here is a link, its a few months old but none the less
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/19/1440200

Donnie27 said:

All I'm going by is what Dell said in their report to Wall Street. They were down, way down and it was attributed to a number of factors, among them being up and coming vendors like HP and a lack of quality costomer support.
I really wish you'd moderate your Intel enthusiasm sometimes Donnie. I know you own a AMD system too, but face it - your an Intel fan at heart. I'm not slamming you for that - we all have our personal preferences, but it is important to get one facts straight. During last year AMD sold more desktop computers in the retail market channel than did Intel for the first time ever. I'm talking pre-built systems that can be bought off the shelf. It was all over the tech news media. Now Intel has the opportunity to regain market share. Good for them. But don't let your blue shaded glasses get the better of you.
All we are talking about here is Dell selling AMD cpu systems. They'll do it - they'll make money in the process. Why is that so hard for anyone to believe? Sounds a lot like what the Intel boys are accusing the AMD boys of right now - ENVY. Its a done deal and will happen. Get over it and move on.

lol, its funny when people get angry over processors and something they have no control over.

person 1: ZOMGWTFBBQ #$#($* REEEEEEEEEEEE INTEL SOGOOOD BEAT YOUR AMDDDDDDD!!!!! CORE2CONROEJESUSISGOD.

person 2: LOL SURE OMGZ #$)*% YOU AMD > * FTW MARKET SHARES BIG NUMBERS AND SELLING POINTS! CHING!

Thats basically what it looks like on my monitor. (when skimming of course)

w1retap said:
lol, its funny when people get angry over processors and something they have no control over.

Thats basically what it looks like on my monitor. (when skimming of course)
Yeah - I know. I'm not mad or anything like that. Just trying to point in my own limited fashion why Dell is doing what they are doing. Some just like to instigate I guess because they don't agree with Dell's move. Well my opinion on that is "buy the company and run it your way. Until then sit down, be quiet and enjoy the ride." Of course, remembering to keep hands and feet inside the vahicle at all times - and no flash photography!> :p

BigMacAttack said:
All I'm going by is what Dell said in their report to Wall Street. They were down, way down and it was attributed to a number of factors, among them being up and coming vendors like HP and a lack of quality costomer support.
I really wish you'd moderate your Intel enthusiasm sometimes Donnie. I know you own a AMD system too, but face it - your an Intel fan at heart. I'm not slamming you for that - we all have our personal preferences, but it is important to get one facts straight. During last year AMD sold more desktop computers in the retail market channel than did Intel for the first time ever. I'm talking pre-built systems that can be bought off the shelf. It was all over the tech news media. Now Intel has the opportunity to regain market share. Good for them. But don't let your blue shaded glasses get the better of you.
All we are talking about here is Dell selling AMD cpu systems. They'll do it - they'll make money in the process. Why is that so hard for anyone to believe? Sounds a lot like what the Intel boys are accusing the AMD boys of right now - ENVY. Its a done deal and will happen. Get over it and move on.

What was Dell supposed to say? Were they supposed to tell the truth?

First of all, I'll be whatever you think I'am. I gave up trying to change LOCKED minds years ago. All I'm saying is AMD Desktop Processors are NOT going to turn Dell into a money maker in the Desktop sector=P The only place Dell's sales will pick up is sales of Dell branded AMD based rigs, something that's at Zero now LOL!

Doesn't take an Intel Fan or Mike Dell himself to point that out. Only brainwashed Green glasses wearing AMD Fanb**s would be foolish enough to think something that silly IMHO. Most folks will say, "Dell has NO experience with AMD". They'll let others test them first:)

Let's get this straight, sellin' second rate products isn't going to increase sales at all. The very folks expected to buy these things have been conditioned to HATE and NOT trust Dell. Folks like you are the reason Dell is hated like that.

I'm wearing blue tinted Glasses because Core 2 Duo is kicking the crap out of AMD on the desktop. Yonah and Now memrom is doing the same in Laptops. Even Newbies know what Centrino is the Chic, so what if it kicks AMD's ass as well. Same goes for 2 way Servers. The only real market Dell is lagging in is the 4 Way servers (highest margin as well) and that's the ONLY real place AMD can help Dell regain lost sales. If anyway wants AMD, HP and Gateway/Emachines folks have wayyyyy more experience.

Dell missed the real chance to make a Ton of money last year when X2 was kicking Intel ass.

No, I don't post in a "Be nice to AMD F*nB0ys" tone, tell me, why in the hell should I? I didn't post to be nice to Intel fans when X2 Kicked the P4's ass last year. Like I said, Intel took BACK Market share in the 2nd quarter or did you miss that? That was before Core 2 and Woodcrest launched. Sure Dell will sell some AMD based systems. Looked at another way, how in the hell can Dell gain market share by selling somethings already lagging and loosing market share?

your missing the point, 1st intel shouldnt' hafta take back market share they should never of lost it. and yes the core 2 is faster, but dont forget a few months ago amd was fucking rocking intel in performance... THAT WE care about. the diffrence for your everyday user is nominal. and DELL will make money off this deal and for the reasons i stated earlier: people wont know they arn't buying intel even though they, like you, have been programmed to think pentium think intel. they know they are buying a dell pc thats cheaper than an hp one.

before you acuse me of being an amd fan boi, my next computer will be a core 2, because right now its the faster one. but to say amd is a second rate product, your full of shit, a few months ago they had the performance crown. i do respect amd more then intel for this reason: intel has billions upon billions of dollars to throw at producing the best product and for a while they didn't have it. your "2nd rate product" producing company was beating them.beating them in market share and performance. now they are not, because intel did what it should of always done, made the best product. but as soon as amd gets it back, if they do, im optomistic since they hired all the alpha guys. i will probably have my next be amd, but thats neither here nor there

and your right, dell did miss the chance from our perspective, but not from the consumer since amd will agian end up having to be the cheapest option since they are now 2nd

Donnie - I'm not going to get drawn into one of your flamebait diatribes. You make your fanfoyism known far and wide by your last post. To say AMD is "second rate" really takes a lot of b*lls when you post on other threads that you are someone who lets his wallet do the talking for him and make it known that own an AMD system as well. You are nothing but a flaming hypocrite and a huge Blue !!!!!!!
Make no mistake - you came in flamebaiting a perfectly normal debate. YOU alone are responsible for the vitriole here. I have no problem with you - never have. I have seen all your posts on other threads and seen you operate. You love to come in and stir the pot to get it going. If I were the forum admin here I'd ban you from every thread until you learned how to communicate in a repectable manner. But I digress.
Go on back to your Intel friends and whimper and whine about Dell's defection from the Empire. All I can do is lmao at you for your self deception.

Rasha said:
your missing the point, 1st intel shouldnt' hafta take back market share they should never of lost it. and yes the core 2 is faster, but dont forget a few months ago *1 amd was fucking rocking intel in performance... THAT WE care about. the diffrence for your everyday user is nominal. and DELL will make money off this deal and for the reasons i stated earlier: people wont know they arn't buying intel even though they, like you, have been programmed to think pentium think intel. they know they are buying a dell pc thats cheaper than an hp one.

before you acuse me of being an amd fan boi, my next computer will be a core 2, because right now its the faster one. but to say amd is a second rate product, your full of shit, a few months ago they had the performance crown. i do respect amd more then intel for this reason: intel has billions upon billions of dollars to throw at producing the best product and for a while they didn't have it. your "2nd rate product" producing company was beating them.beating them in market share and performance. now they are not, because intel did what it should of always done, made the best product. but as soon as amd gets it back, if they do, im optomistic since they hired all the alpha guys. i will probably have my next be amd, but thats neither here nor there

*1 Didn't just say that?

I said Dell will make money, he said make up lost sales and gain market share the two are unrelated. Dell is not gaining anything back because they are now selling AMD Desktops or Lap Tops.

I don't care if you bought 10 Core 2 Duos, just as my 3500+ doesn't stop me from being called an Intel Fan, same for you as you're clearly AMD biased=P

2nd rate only because AMD themselves are replacing them.

I hope like hell AMD's next product is a Kick-assed hit! I hope it kicks at least as much ass as Core 2 is now or how X2 did last year. No ifs, ands or buts about it. I understand that anything less is NOT good for the market. AMD and Intel keep eachother from Raping us. All anyone has to do is look at X2 last year?

Dell's move to Opterons are about two years LATE! I'm not saying Dell shouldn't sell AMD products, HELL, I'm saying they should have done it sooner. How does that sound I'm saying they shouldn't? Now is NOT the best time to sell AMD desktop processors but sure Dell should sell them. They get practice for their replacement:)

BigMacAttack said:
Donnie - I'm not going to get drawn into one of your flamebait diatribes. You make your fanfoyism known far and wide by your last post. To say AMD is "second rate" really takes a lot of b*lls when you post on other threads that you are someone who lets his wallet do the talking for him and make it known that own an AMD system as well. You are nothing but a flaming hypocrite and a huge Blue !!!!!!!
Make no mistake - you came in flamebaiting a perfectly normal debate. YOU alone are responsible for the vitriole here. I have no problem with you - never have. I have seen all your posts on other threads and seen you operate. You love to come in and stir the pot to get it going. If I were the forum admin here I'd ban you from every thread until you learned how to communicate in a repectable manner. But I digress.
Go on back to your Intel friends and whimper and whine about Dell's defection from the Empire. All I can do is lmao at you for your self deception.

There's nothing to flame about really. Dell could have done better last year with selling X2 and FXs, hell even low end Semprons rocked last year. This year they're all also rans. Doesn't take a long assed post to say that. AMD will have something better.

It would be flamebait if I were lying on AMD and they weren't getting slammed right now. Was it flames when X2 kicked Intel's booty as I put it?

If we're armed with facts, there isn't anything to get pissed about, no need to call anyone names or etc..

Many AMD buyers were warned to avoid Dell at all costs. But now that they're selling AMD products all is good, right? No one has tarnished Dell's image as much as folks who hang out in the AMD side of the forums all over the www. IMHO! Sorry, that's NOT a flame.

Hey Donnie do me a favor - find ONE post in which I MYSELF have ever bashed Dell, since you seem to lump me in with all the rest of the AMD fanbase who, as you say, hate Dell and will never buy from them. I too own and have owned Intel systems, but I did not in this thread say or even imply that Intel was "second rate." I have nothing against Dell systems - as a matter of fact my laptop is a 2.2 Celeron purchased from Dell's refurb center so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. My company servers are Dells. I didn't buy them but I don't have a problem with them either. If they offer a good product for a good price who cares who powers it right? Sure, I prefer AMD in my desktop systems so if that makes me a flaming Green f**boy so be it. I don't mind. Just don't go telling me I am the reason (or one of the reasons) people here hate Dell because that is just a plain untrue fallacy which you can never back up from any of my posts, at least not to my recollection.
Will Dell sell more Intel systems than AMD systems? Most likely, no argument there. More power to them. So why are you so worked up about Dell offering AMD based systems and why do you hate AMD so much? I'm not trying to fight you, just curious. You seem to have it in for AMD and I'm curious as to why. Are you a stock holder who has gotten burned by them or what? Honestly, I really am curious.

I think I can bring a somewhat unbiased PoV here. I bought a Dell PC several years ago. It obviously had an Intel processor in it. It lasted me for a while. Then last year, when I was majorly due for a new computer, I decided to build one. And I went the AMD route. I couldn't be happier. :)

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go back to Intel (or Dell for that matter) again in the future. I'd probably stick to building a new PC rather than buying one, but I'd get the one that provided the best bang for the buck. Last year, it was a no-brainer: AMD Athlon.

I think some of you guys are giving the average joe more credit then they deserve. They may recognize the names Intel and Pentium and associate them with being good, but all it'll take for most of them to buy an AMD computer is for someone they perceive to have greater knowledge in computers to assure them that AMD powered computers are nearly as good (or just as good) for their needs and show them the cheaper price tag.

With AMD now being backed by the big well known OEMs like Dell, HP, Gateway/eMachines and Lenovo it really shouldn't be very hard to sway the common people, who really don't have a clue about CPUs, over to AMD with lower prices.

Then as long as the computer isn't a lemon and it meets their performance expectations they'll be perfectly happy. And perhaps they'll have start developing some brand loyalty to AMD if they remember the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back