Dell 2709W

I'm having a problem with the Dell 2709w. This is my setup right now:

ATI 5850 hooked up to DVI-1 (both DVI-to-DVI)
PS3 hooked up to HDMI (both HDMI)

So the problem is when I run any game in PS3 like COD:MW2 at 1080P, the image is blurry, like its running on a very low resolution. You can play and all that, its just does not feel like its running @ 1080P.

I've checked by going into monitor Menu and at the bottom it shows Resolution: 1080P.

So can anyone help? is it scaling wrong or something?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured it out by hooking it up to my Westinghouse 37" 1080P LCD. The graphics turned out to be exactly the same lool. The problem was that I've been playing COD:MW2 on PC and the graphics look very different compared to PS3 or Xbox 360, it turned out I was not realizing that the Xbox 360 & PS3 got bad graphics lool.

Last edited:
So with the new U2711 due out this month will the 2709W get a major discount soon ?

It has a list price of $900+ but I have read about certain discounts getting this to $600.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I noticed the monitor came with a display port cable, so out of curiousity I connected this to my XFX 5870 and low and behold the input lag was decreased to the same level as the VGA input!!! :eek:

The difference is there and it is noticeable, at least for me. It is better than the DVI connection i previously had. So much so I am considering keeping this monitor.

Any one else care to try connecting your 2709w to a display port and report if you notice any difference.

I'm ordering mine along with a 5850 next week, so I'll test and let you know.

Is there a way to flash the 2709 to A04 somehow, or do I have to get a replacement? I'm still under warranty.

Is there a way to flash the 2709 to A04 somehow, or do I have to get a replacement? I'm still under warranty.

I have REV A02 and A04, there is no difference in quality except that A04 has the ability to horizontally swivel as compared to A02 doesn't. Software wise, I think the A02 has a better sensor response when entering the menu as compared to A04. I think they reduced cost on sensor, which resulted in a less accurate sensor.

Can anyone compare the 2007fp to the 2709W? I am thinking about pulling the trigga on 2709W. Currently using 2007FP and love the display. Looking to upgrade to widescreen, bigger display and higher resolution.

Use is casual gaming; WoW, RPGs, single player FPS shooters. Heavy Surfing/Text reading, and light video.

I am concerned about the input lag issue/non issue mentioned in this thread. I am comfortable with any 2007fp input lag. Wondering how the 2709w compares.

thanks for any info!

Can anyone compare the 2007fp to the 2709W? I am thinking about pulling the trigga on 2709W. Currently using 2007FP and love the display. Looking to upgrade to widescreen, bigger display and higher resolution.

Use is casual gaming; WoW, RPGs, single player FPS shooters. Heavy Surfing/Text reading, and light video.

I am concerned about the input lag issue/non issue mentioned in this thread. I am comfortable with any 2007fp input lag. Wondering how the 2709w compares.

thanks for any info!

Well now I won't be buying the 2709W since Dell won't give it to me for the price they quoted me anymore. Guess it's the HP LP2475w or the U2410 now.

Last edited:
10e. Thanks for all your help.
If anyone can help me with this issue I will greatly appreciate it. I just upgraded recently to a new computer with dual dvi and windows 7. My primary monitor is the 2709w and my secondary is the 2001fp.
I've loaded up the .icc profile 10e provided and set the monitor settings to (RGB) 91-90-89.
When I extend my workspace over the two monitors,open a picture, and drag from one monitor to the next, the picture looks worlds different.
I take a lot of pictures with my rebel XT and would love to have accurate colors so that when I edit in photoshop and save, that is what I see when I print. The prob is that the photos on the 2709w look extremely saturated still. Help!

I just bought a Dell 2709W from a friend.
I did the calibration myself using the Chroma 5 with CalMAN software.

Here is my settings:
10 Brightness
45 Contrast
Custom RGB
99 Red
98 Green
99 Blue
ATI Catalyst: Gamma is set to 0.9

I am impressed by the results
1) Greyscale is near perfect, Largest error is 3.1 at 100% stimulus.
2) Temperature of 6509 (target 6500)
3) The Luminance is spot on.
4) Gamma is 2.2005 (target is 2.20)
5) Black is deep (for a LCD)
6) However, Green, Red, Cyan and Magenta are off due to the wide color gamut (110% CCFL). Green is the worst of the bunch.

The OSD is well designed but some options are missing.
1) The colors settings are too limited in the OSD. Each (primaries and secondaries) color should have independent settings for hue, saturation and luminance.
2) I would expect RGB high + low settings for greyscale.
3) I want more than 2 options for Gamma. I had to modify the gamma in my video card driver which is cumbersome for multiple monitors settings.

The 2709W is really a nice monitor but I understand that wide color gamut may be a deal breaker for some.

Last edited:
I thinks its because some wide gamuts don't do sRGB very well. Or they don't run sRGB and then complain.

You have to use a custom profile as explained by 10e earlier in this thread. The factory sRGB profile is a joke, not even close.

Don't get me wrong the 2709W is well worth what I paid for it.

Dave

Input lag has been measured at around 50ms which translates into a lag of 3 frames.
Input lag is not an issue for most but sensitive gamers should maybe look for some other alternatives...

How is the input lag with rev A04, anyone tested it? thanks.

New revisions rarely make any difference in input lag, with the only exception being the Dell 2408WFP. When you are talking about a S-PVA LCD you are never going to get a large improvement unless the problem is much bigger than 3 frams.

With all of that said; I agree with RadXge this forum makes way to much out of input lag numbers and testing. Just play the dam game already.

Dave

I bought the 2709W recently because I wanted a 27" panel with 1920 resolution instead of the new 2711 with 2560 resolution.

Anyway, first thing I noticed is that the reds are off. I didn't understand this at first, then I read it was a wide gamut monitor. I don't use any apps which require wide gamut - I use mainly office apps and games. So what's the best thing to do to get my colours back to 'normal'. I read about 10e's icc profile, do I just load that?

I just received my 3rd 2709w which I planned to use for eyefinity. Unfortunately the 3rd one was the problem one. A vertical red line of pixels has shown up on the display which will force me to now get a warranty replacement. Oh well hopefully the replacement will be dead pixel free.

I just got a used 2709W A01 today. I am using a Gigabyte 8600GT @ 1920x1200 native, Windows XP Pro SP3. I am migrating from a highend Trinitron CRT so I am relatively new to LCDs but have been using a Dell S2409w on the same PC for a week or so.

For the most part the 2709w is stunning compared to the S2409w.

I have the 2709w set to:

Brightness 20
Contrast 50
custom RGB R-89, G90, B90
All other settings I believe are at default values

First, I have menu button issues. According to the manual, the 4th button should activate the OSD but it doesn't. I can frequently get the menu to come up by touching button 5 (right above the power button). If I press it twice, I can often get into the menus. Sometimes I can't. I certainly can't use the buttons as described manual. Anyone have any suggestions?

Second and more importantly, on certain black or gray lines, I get fluorescent green dots that outline the line. This has happened while playing MS backgammon (the triangles on the playing board) and while reading the the on line Dell Setup Manual

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2709W/EN/ug/setup.htm#Connecting Your Monitor

About halfway through the doc, the picture of the back of the monitor with the cables connected, sometimes some of the cables have the dots along the edges. When I can get the OSD to work, sometime there are lines around the menus.

As I have been using the S2409w @ 1920x1080 without any of these artifacts, I tempted to blame the monitor and not the GPU.

Can anyone confirm it is the monitor vs. cable (Dell DVI), GPU, resolution, etc. I have time to return the monitor if it is faulty. I know the touch buttons have issues that I might be able to live with but I can not live with the fluorescent green dots around certain lines.

Thanks...

Neil

Not sure about the lines but the manual is wrong about the buttons. The 5th button (closest to the power button) is the button that activates the OSD. It is the only button that lights up upon proximity to it. You hit that button to bring up the 1st OSD menu which then grants you access to the Preset Modes. Brightness/Contrast, Input Source, Menu and Exit respectively. Yours may be different as you can change the 1st three menu choices to suite your needs (under Personalize on the Menu screen).

The green dots appear on pictures and captions of webpages.

When looking at an eBay page, the ad will be clear but if the picture of the item contains a black device, there will be green dots flashing on the parts of the black item.

If I power cycle the monitor, initially on power up, the pic will be fine but in a few minutes the green dots appear.

As I type this post, this page is crystal clear but the problem is there more often than not.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks...

Neil

A bunch of pixels start to sparkle, especially in dark areas which are close to light areas. In other words, on black text with a white background. It was mainly on vertical parts of letters or other objects, and in various places on a picture.

I guess this monitor has the same issue that BBChuck described about his.

I have found a number of these reported issues occurring in Dell LCDs. As I have tried 2 different PCs, two different Dell DVI cables, I can only conclude that the monitor is defective. I guess I'll try to return it and find another one unless someone has a suggestion. I hope this is not a common problem.

I just got this monitor from Dell Outlet with a coupon and 3% off using Dell Credit I paided about $520 shipped. I hope its ok for games like BF2 and Dragon Age. I use Vysnc as well. About 80% of the time I will be using it for web surfing and other stuff and about 20% will be for gaming. I hope I get something other than the Rev A00 from the Dell outlet...

I was considering buying three of these for an Eyefinity setup, but when I go to the product page on Dell it says this product is no longer available. What gives? Can't find any at the outlet either. Is there a replacement for this model in the works?

It's one of the few 27" non-TN panels with DisplayPort that I could find. I know the input lag is fairly high on this model, but I wasn't concerned with that because I don't notice the input lag on my 3008WFP.

I have finally got satisfying results with my 2709W.
The greyscale and gamma curve are near perfect now but the colors are still off due to the wide color gamut.

Targets
Gamut: sRGB (aka Rec709);
White point: D65 ;
Gamma: 2.25 ;
100% White luminance = 120cd/m2

Monitor Settings
1) Backlight = 0
2) Contrast = 45
3) Preset modes: Custom (RGBCMY): 38;74;48;55;36;38

ATI catalyst color settings (white point and gamma)
1) Red: Gamma:0.90, Brightness:-2 Contrast: 102
2) Green: Gamma:0.90, Brightness: 1 Contrast: 100
3) Blue: Gamma:0.90, Brightness: 0 Contrast: 98

Last edited:
I was considering buying three of these for an Eyefinity setup, but when I go to the product page on Dell it says this product is no longer available. What gives? Can't find any at the outlet either. Is there a replacement for this model in the works?

It's one of the few 27" non-TN panels with DisplayPort that I could find. I know the input lag is fairly high on this model, but I wasn't concerned with that because I don't notice the input lag on my 3008WFP.

I believe the U2711 is considered a replacement product, but it is 16:9. It looks like Dell made an exclusive deal with LG for nonTN panels. The fact that Samsung has not released any new cPVA panels for computers in quite a while does not help. TN panels seam to have ruined the market.

I love the 27 inch 16:10 size, it is a drag if it gone for good.

Dave

So this monitor is no longer available new? Are the refurbs any good and available? Are there any other monitors the same size using same/better panel with the inputs/features of the Dell 2709w.

Seems there are no quality choices between 24" (too small) and 30" (too costly)

Any help/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

So this monitor is no longer available new? Are the refurbs any good and available? Are there any other monitors the same size using same/better panel with the inputs/features of the Dell 2709w.

Seems there are no quality choices between 24" (too small) and 30" (too costly)

Any help/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

I haven't been able to find them anywhere outside of eBay, and now they seem to be few and far between. There was a seller that listed quite a few new 2709W monitors several weeks ago with warranties ranging from 3 to 5 years, but I hesitated and it appears that they sold all they had because I haven't seen them back since. When I do see the occasional 2709W on eBay now, it's usually listed at a price point near that of the U2711 so I pass.

As far as other monitors the same size with the same/better panel and comparable inputs, I don't think so...at least not in this price range. 98% of the 27" stuff out there is TN. NEC's PA271W-BK and Dell's U2711 have great image quality and inputs, but the 2560x1440 resolution is much higher (which I don't want because I already own two 30" displays and wanted 3 x 27" 1920 panels for surround gaming).

So you're right, there are no (or very few) quality choices between 24" and 30", and that's frustrating. 24" is too small for me now, and I don't want the resolution of a 30" for surround gaming because there's no need to run the side monitors at 2560x1600 when they're just sitting in your peripheral vision. 27" is a great compromise but sadly, most of the options available are disappointing in one way or another. I thought the 2709W would be the closest thing to what I want, but its availability is extremely limited and I don't want to pay close to the price of a U2711 for it. ASUS supposedly has a 27" 120hz LED monitor coming out at some point, but there hasn't been much info on it lately. Perhaps I'll just pick up a third 30" and just lower the resolution when needed. Three of them would be a little overkill for me, but I just don't think I'd be happy using TN panels at this point.

Where can find this monitor still ? Craigslist used to show list them every once in awhile. But haven't seen one on there for long time.

I have a triple display Eyefinity setup of 3 - 27" monitors. The two sides are both Dell 2709W's and center display is the older 2707WFP I works like to swap out for one more 2709W so all three are exactly the same.

E-Bay will lust used ones but they are pretty pricey.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hello,

Any clue ?

Thank you very much !

Paul

From the users's guide "NOTICE: Do not use with any device other than Dell Soundbar".

I have tested the HDMI port and it looks just like DVI, but I do not have the soundbar to test audio with.

My advice is to consider a different audio path, because the audio that is built into graphics cards is soso at best.

Dave

Oops!

I do not have DP on anything, but if it works through HDMI then it would work through DP as well.

Also; I just looked at the audio connections and there are Front, Rear, and Sub, which means it is setup for a full 5.1 set. I think that the Soundbar warning is due to the DC power outlet having limited amperage. There is no audio in which means sound would have to come through USB, HDMI or DP.

Last edited:
I’m looking to pick one up on ebay. Can someone explain in easy terms the relevance of the wide gamut issues? These issues are touched upon in this thread, but I don’t fully understand them, or whether they would impact on my useage.

The nice big pixel pitch is what is attracting me, for less eye-strain. Mine will be used 9-12hrs per day. General office work for my business.

That colour bloating can not be corrected with the controls easily?

Over saturated colors looks like a cartoon or poster where the colors are too strong/bright. It is not a big deal for business apps. Go back to 10e's review and use his color settings. Then do your own tweaking if you need to.

The bigger dot pitch really is easier on the eyes.

Thanks for that info, Dave. :)

I see 10e has 36 posts in this thread, I’ll read those when I’ve got time, but if I follow 10e’s settings, I can avoid saturated colours?

Another question: Where on the monitor will it state the revision number, A00, A01, A02, etc...

Thanks for that info, Dave. :)

I see 10e has 36 posts in this thread, I’ll read those when I’ve got time, but if I follow 10e’s settings, I can avoid saturated colours?

Another question: Where on the monitor will it state the revision number, A00, A01, A02, etc...

Naw, even if you use my settings from back then, the over-saturated colors will still be there, but they just might be a little bit more accurate and over-saturated ;)

You can try the sRGB mode, but if I remember correctly it was very under-saturated to a fault.

Naw, even if you use my settings from back then, the over-saturated colors will still be there, but they just might be a little bit more accurate and over-saturated ;)

And over-saturated? Sorry 10e, what are you saying there? More accurate but still over-saturated?

It’s not going to be as bad as this, is it?

I’ve got two buying options: a used 2709w for about £240 ($385), no warranty, or a 2209wa, refurbished, 3 years Dell warranty, £185 ($296). What should I go for, seeing as the 2209wa pixel pitch isn’t that far behind: 0.282 v 0.303

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question?
Where on the monitor will it state the revision number, A00, A01, A02, etc...

And over-saturated? Sorry 10e, what are you saying there? More accurate but still over-saturated?

It’s not going to be as bad as this, is it?

I’ve got two buying options: a used 2709w for about £240 ($385), no warranty, or a 2209wa, refurbished, 3 years Dell warranty, £185 ($296). What should I go for, seeing as the 2209wa pixel pitch isn’t that far behind: 0.282 v 0.303

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question?

What I meant, is that things like the gray scale will be more neutral, and the color balance will be close to what it should be.

Yes, that is a good representation of what you'll get in terms of over-saturation.

If you're just looking for a general purpose PC monitor, the 2209WA has less input lag and is sRGB gamut, so no over-saturation will show up like that.

The 2709W is better if you absolutely need 1920x1200 resolution or you want to hook up a PS3 or Blu-Ray player.

Back