Asus PG276 27" 120Hz Monitor

dever

n00b
Didn't see much news posted about this one. Asus announced a new 27 inch 120Hz 3D capable monitor on May 20th. Not much info released yet.

Specs so far are:

• Model: PG276
  • 27" screen size
  • 1920x1080 resolution
  • LED Backlight
  • 400 nits
  • Anti-reflective coating: "Color Shine Technology"
  • 120Hz Refresh rate / 3D capable
  • 2ms responce time
  • 10,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio (don't believe the hype)
  • Stand: height, swivel, and tilt adjustable
  • Ports: 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x YPbPR
  • Price: approximately $550
  • Available: DELAYED, Release date unknown.

ASUS_VG236H_3D_Monitor-728-75.jpg

Sourced from:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/asus-announces-world-s-largest-3d-gaming-monitor-690759

http://www.asus.com/News.aspx?N_ID=3sfRJOks39V5W7D5

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-whips-out-new-designo-ml-led-monitors-2086252/

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2010/05/asus-pg276-the-largest-3d-monitor-in-the-world.html

(edited to flesh out the info)

Last edited:
They showed that display on Cebit if I remember, they said that would be available on late may or early in june... I'm highly interested to see this monitor!

same here

I hope it's not too expensive. This WILL be my next display as long as the black levels and backlighting are better than my viewsonic 120hz

That will be my next display as well. If it's not over say $400

That will be my next display as well. If it's not over say $400

The LED backlit 120hz has an MSRP of $400, doubt this will be under $400. I want at least a 32" or 37". I know, I'm greedy.

I'd be willing to bet its going to be another 1920x1080 16:9 monitor. Grrr...

I love the idea of monitors that support 120hz input, but I hate the idea of downgrading the resolution.

I'd be willing to bet its going to be another 1920x1080 16:9 monitor. Grrr...

I love the idea of monitors that support 120hz input, but I hate the idea of downgrading the resolution.

I'd say a 27" should have a minimum of 1920x1200. 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 would be even better.

I'm picking up 3 of these babies as soon as they are available. Hopefully coinciding with Nvidia's release of their 3dvision surround driver.

These 120hz monitors all use dual link DVI. Displayport won't be used until v1.2 is ratified and added to the next gen of graphics cards (ATIs 5xxx series only use v1.1). The limit for dual link DVI is 1920x1080 @ 120hz. There will be nothing higher until Displayport v1.2 is in use.

All the reviews I've read suggest tearing is greatly reduced on the 120hz monitors, allowing one to play with vsync off (fps labs, esreality, quake live forums etc). So long as the response time is fast enough, tearing effects should be no different to a CRT at the same refresh rate.

I have the ViewSonic VX2268wm and yes I can confirm vsync off is totally usable (well I even keep it off for almost any game) with the 120Hz LCDs, I came directly from a 19" trinitron CRT and I keep playing UT series, especially UT3 daily and the 120Hz LCDs are very close to CRT feel, granted I used 100Hz on CRT but 100Hz on CRT and 120Hz on LCD feels quite the same, a very small advantage with 120Hz on CRT IMO as far as motion smoothness goes but nothing that I'd wanna go back to.

This ASUS display looks quite promissing, I didn't know it used LED backlight. What worries me most is the color tone though, quite a few ASUS screens I've seen have had horribly blue domination which my eyes can't stand, the ViewSonic VX2268wm I have has a very good color balance but it's got quite a lot backlight bleed and ofc input lag which I want to be lower than 15ms avg / 20ms max. Today it's difficult to find LCDs that have acceptable backlightbleed and low input lag and great color balance, often they fail at one of those.

Last edited:
Isn't that the pic of the 23" model? I heard the 27" has that ugly large bottom bezel. I hope the 27" looks like the 23" but larger of course.

The picture I saw for the 27" did have some sort of base, that wasn't a stem base like that one...more of an extension of the whole bezel all the way to the bottom. I didn't mind the way it looked, but if that base isn't removeable then it doesn't look like it is possible to do eyefinity with it.

http://us.aving.net/news/view.php?articleId=149249

Of course the production model might be different then the one in those pictures?

I dunno.. I'm about to order the alienware..but 23" widescreen doesn't have much more height then my old 19" square monitor...so I'd like to move up to a bigger size.

The aesthetics of the 23" 120hz model looks great, especially with the 3d logo on the bottom of the base. Why can't Asus just design the 27" like this.

LOL, no way the retail 27" product will have that kinda stand, that's just a demo sample.

LOL, no way the retail 27" product will have that kinda stand, that's just a demo sample.

I hope not either, theres some other available models with the same stand I hope asus do NOT do such crazyness or that will crush my vision surround setup -_-

Just calm down, it's very common to use a different design for a demo product, LG had a similar stand for its 120Hz LCD which turned out to be much more traditional-like in the retail product. I doubt they are so stupid to put such stand on a monitor that's supposed to attract gamers, I just can't believe it. Besides it says height, swivel, and tilt adjustable in the specs for this 27" too.

Things are starting to look bad, saaya from XS forums were at Computex and took some pics and also of this ASUS 27" 120Hz monitor and the stand design hasn't been changed so far at least...

I want this monitor! It would be nice if they bundled the 3D vision Nvidia glasses as well, I know I' am dreaming :)

I know the initial pictures didn't show it, but anyone know if this will work with a wallmount? News from Computex is pretty thin this year.

Someone email these morons; who the fuck buys these shitty stand-integrated-into-monitor monstrosities?

The first pictures looked great. And I thought I had just changed my mind on my next purchase. Then I read further in the thread and saw that ugly POS..... So sad...

All they had to do was copy the 23.6" model, which looks great, and make it larger.

it looks more like a digital picture frame than a pc monitor. not cool. especially the market they are attracting, which is pc gamers who want the larger 120hz screen for either 3d gaming or smoother gameplay. Make this for Mac users :)

I'd be alright with it if I only wanted 1 monitor. It would make sense if that base was removeable for the flexibility of multi-monitor setups. I wonder if it is...

This may be my next monitor. What are the drawbacks if the monitor keeps its current stand?

I guess its nicer on a stand, I can fit more clutter under the monitor, but my current Samsung doesn't have a height adjustable stand and it doesn't really bother me.

The issue is whether it has VESA mounts. The HP 27" is weird in that it has 200x100 VESA instead of standard 100x100, so a standard mount would fit it but the result would be off-center. I wonder if this will have the same issue, or have a mount at all.

Off-center mounting doesn't matter for a single-monitor mount, but it would mess up a dual or triple mount.

im really looking forward to this monitor!! ill be selling my GD235hz (great monitor btw) to pick one up!

is there a confirmed release date yet? i might be looking to sell my 37" 1080p LG lcd tv to get this...

Back