Dell 2709W

Lag results for my October A02 Made in Mexico:
I used a vga splitter and 1:1 1280x1024 (max supported by crt)
Averaged around 47ms most of the time with 63ms difference showing up every now and then. Thats no better than the A00 but it doesnt feel laggy at all. :)

Excuse the grainy pic.
And thats the end of that. :D

hi,
every lcd, also tn, have higher input lag with the non native resolution (see the prad's review of the acer g24 that's a tn for hardcore game) so the test to be good should be done with the 1920x1600

I own this monitor for about a month now and it's great! Using my computer has been awesome now especially watching videos.

hi,
every lcd, also tn, have higher input lag with the non native resolution (see the prad's review of the acer g24 that's a tn for hardcore game) so the test to be good should be done with the 1920x1600

I understand what you are saying. I could see how non-native may add time, but the problem with testing at native resolution is that CRTs (control group in the test) generally are not capable of the 1920x1200 which is native to the large panels being tested.

I have run the test on the same display panel as the dell being discussed here in the Samsung 275T+ package, but I had to run it at 1600x1200. My discussion, test, and detailed results/interpretations are on the lower part of this page of the 275T+ thread.

Are there any CRTs that can handle 1920x1200? I can usually get a hold of hardware for testing, and if I can find a good control, I'd be glad to try it again.

The tests I ran where at native res for the LCD, with the CRT panning
Therefore if there was any display at an disadvantage in my test it was the CRT, not LCD
I came to the same conclusion as others here; ca 50ms lag

Just got my monitor today! It's HUGE, way bigger than my 19" non-ws monitor. Anyways, just set it up and it looks great with 10e's profile, the colours looked too saturated with the profile that came with it.

Haven't had a chance to install the drivers or play around with the other features yet.

Although I did notice the input lag when I first started it up, although I think I'm getting used to it now. Gonna try playin some CS:S and see if it's horrible or not.

Btw, I recieved a A01 made in Nov. I don't think A02's are out yet or they aren't out in NA yet.

Edit: Well, I played some fps games and it seems less noticeable than if you're doing everyday tasks.. although i'm slowly getting used to it.

I don't have time to play with the monitor but I just wanted to ask is the usb ports/card readers plug and play? I don't need to install anything from the driver's cd to make them work right?

1 more thing, I'm just wondering how many of you physically turn off the monitor or just leave it on standby. I've always left my LCD's on standby when not using them, it seems especially good for the 2709 because of the touch sensitive power button, I wouldn't want to constantly press it so that it may wear out.

Plug and play depends more on the operating system and the card/peripheral being plugged in. Generally speaking, usually XP and Vista will recognize and automatically install everything necessary to run the ports like any average everyday hub.

Now why the hell didn't I think of that?

After using it a couple more days, the input lag is beginning to be more tolerable.. but still noticeable, I don't think I'll get used to it more than how I am right now.

Watching movies is great on this monitor though, a real treat. I tried watching Wall-E on it and I was completely blown away. No need to go all the way downstairs for my 46" plasma now! hehe.

All in all, I'm totally satisfied with the monitor. Although the right side is unsymmetrical to the left side (1 side is lower than the other), there is no dead pixels and I might daresay, no blacklight bleed at all except for a tiny bit on the upper left corner.

Therefore if there was any display at an disadvantage in my test it was the CRT, not LCD
I came to the same conclusion as others here; ca 50ms lag

did you do run it in desktop extended mode or in clone mode?

I think he had to have used clone mode, otherwise the timers on on the screens wouldn't have been able to be started simultaneously.

I can't figure out how to get the smaller CRT monitor to pan. I don't know where to configure it to do that.

I think he had to have used clone mode, otherwise the timers on on the screens wouldn't have been able to be started simultaneously.

I can't figure out how to get the smaller CRT monitor to pan. I don't know where to configure it to do that.

Yea, it was clone mode
I don't know exactly what is the problem you have with getting the monitors to pan, mine does by default when I run clone mode and use a higher resolution than one of my monitors can handle (I mean default driver install)
In the nVidia control panel under Display > Change Resolution "show physical panning resolutions" must be ticked
Of course if you don't have a nVidia display card that info wont be of much help :p

Hey guys,

How does this monitor compare to the 2408WFP? I am considering returning my refurb 2408WFP for one of these..

anyone in uk/europe receive an A02 yet? asking because dell is sending out another replacement on 5th of jan for me.

I find buying tvs/monitors & displays in general so much hassle these days, the quality control seems to be awful...

also, does you get a "bloom" like effect on your 2709s? like the edges/corners of the screen sort of shines when screen is black and makes the colours lighter. but when you face that part of the screen directly infront, the effect is gone.

Seems to be a good combination so far. I removed the 2709w's stand and mounted it on my Ergotron LX monitor arm. The monitor weighs 18.3 lbs and the arm can hold 18.0 lbs but after a week and a half it seems just fine.

If it falls I'll let y'all know, but so far, so good :)

Seems to be a good combination so far. I removed the 2709w's stand and mounted it on my Ergotron LX monitor arm. The monitor weighs 18.3 lbs and the arm can hold 18.0 lbs but after a week and a half it seems just fine.

where did you find buy the ergotron and for how much?

hey does anybody have problems with the high pixel pitch on this display?

0,303 mm

where did you find buy the ergotron and for how much?

I'm Canadian, so I found it at Best Buy Canada, but it's probably cheaper in the U.S.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10087863&catid=20178

The drawing seems incorrect. I always say Ergotron LX, but it's actually the NeoFlex.Getting set in my ways. I like it because it is more flexible than the stock height adjustable stand and its "grinding" and sometimes stiff up/down adjustment, which I always find a bit limited in range.

hey does anybody have problems with the high pixel pitch on this display?

0,303 mm

Not at all. The big pixel pitch allows me to sit back further from this screen and not suffer eye strain. A side benefit is that from a bit further away the viewing angles look even better. They are good to start with, but they improve if you sit back a bit further than arms' length.

When you raise the monitor to a certain height, does the arm keep it at that height or does it just lower all the way down on its own?

I just put my 2408WFP on a silver LX wall mount / monitor arm and have tried adjusting everything, but the arm keeps lowering the monitor as low as it can go. The monitor won't stay at whatever height I move it to.

Mine always stays up fine.

The arm I have has a locking "disc" for the articulation/joint that I press in to unlock, and let go to lock back into place that keeps the monitor from falling. If you take a look at this photo, it shows what I'm talking about with a circle on the main joint that is the locking disc:

http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/images/products/nfArm/45-185-194.jpg

Also the little black screw right before the mounting plate can be tightened so it doesn't "sag" and let the monitor tilt downwards.

When you raise the monitor to a certain height, does the arm keep it at that height or does it just lower all the way down on its own?

I just put my 2408WFP on a silver LX wall mount / monitor arm and have tried adjusting everything, but the arm keeps lowering the monitor as low as it can go. The monitor won't stay at whatever height I move it to.

Ah I didn't see your previous post mentioning that it's a NeoFlex desk mount and not a LX wall mount. Mine doesn't have any button / disk that I can press to lock the current position.

The wording on Ergotron's manual for the LX wall mount lead me to believe that if the arm is extended out and the monitor raised up, it would stay at whatever position I left it. Right now, as soon as the arm is extended out / the top arm (the half of the arm attached to the wall) moved to a position where it's not resting on the bottom arm (the half of the arm attached to the monitor) the whole arm assembly begins to sag / move down / lower causing the monitor to lower as low as the arm will go.

The monitor isn't too heavy and is w/in Ergotron's specs. for the arm.

Is it possible there are some screws you can tighten a bit to minimize the sagging?

I know mine has some little torx type screws embedded in a couple of joints that, when tightened "stiffen" up the joint. Not sure if the LX wall mount has this feature through a torx or allen key tightening procedure. I know it's tough to find this stuff while the monitor is mounted (and potentially harmful to the screen), so you may want to remove the monitor to adjust it.

Good luck.

Ah I didn't see your previous post mentioning that it's a NeoFlex desk mount and not a LX wall mount. Mine doesn't have any button / disk that I can press to lock the current position.

The wording on Ergotron's manual for the LX wall mount lead me to believe that if the arm is extended out and the monitor raised up, it would stay at whatever position I left it. Right now, as soon as the arm is extended out / the top arm (the half of the arm attached to the wall) moved to a position where it's not resting on the bottom arm (the half of the arm attached to the monitor) the whole arm assembly begins to sag / move down / lower causing the monitor to lower as low as the arm will go.

The monitor isn't too heavy and is w/in Ergotron's specs. for the arm.

Yeah, there are torx screws on the joints, but I only see them on the joints that control the side to side movement. I don't see anything on the joints that control the up and down movement. I'll have to call Ergotron about this.

If it were me, I'd just throw the mounting arm back to the manufacturer and demand money back or working replacement (using tactful language of course). I have noticed that this kind of mounting hardware is expensive to buy, and if you're paying that much for it, you should expect something that works.

Chances are, they either gave you a bad one or didn't give it an honest weight rating range; either way, you deserve either money back or something stronger.

Hey everyone,
I just got my 2709w, during the current dell sale.
I have the A02 version, I'm coming from a non-wide 18'
Really happy with it so far.

except for the slight backlight bleed,
i only notice it playing full screen movies.
it looks like a movie theater effect or something, haha
Is this a common problem with the 2709w?

My problem looks really similar to this picture:
2709-bleed-small.jpg

Would you consider this a lot of bleed or not, I'm not sure.
Any advice?

thanks

I have the same kind of bleed on mine, but its not very bad and i have to look really hard to catch it. Have you done any calibration? This thing is quite bright, turning down the brightness may help.

What did Dell exactly fix with the A02 revision? And is the backlightbleed common on A02 models? How about inputlag, which was massive in the older revisions?

Hey everyone,
I just got my 2709w, during the current dell sale.
I have the A02 version, I'm coming from a non-wide 18'
Really happy with it so far.

except for the slight backlight bleed,
i only notice it playing full screen movies.
it looks like a movie theater effect or something, haha
Is this a common problem with the 2709w?

My problem looks really similar to this picture:

Would you consider this a lot of bleed or not, I'm not sure.
Any advice?

thanks

I have Rev A01 and there is very faint BL bleed in the upper left corner. What is your brightness setting and the exposure length on your camera? If it looks that bad in person and, it sounds like it does, I would return it.

See 10e's posts for a reasonable evaluation of the input lag. I doubt it has changed between versions.

Dave

hi thanks for the help,

i didn't take that picture, however it looks simular to my problem.
my contrast and brightness is 48 - 45.

My screen is darker, but the bleeding looks almost the same as the example above. ( the corners only)

i'm trying to figure out, if i should return it or not, however i'm kinda worried that this might be a a02 wide problem and i'll get sent a monitor exactly like this one.

I have a slight amount of what you showed on my Samsung 275T+ which is the same exact panel that this dell uses. It doesn't look as bad as what your picture shows though. If I had set the camera at a high iso and a long exposure time, I might get an image like that, but in person I have to really look hard to see it.

I'm only affected by this problem on an all black screen.
I first noticed the problem when I full screened a movie and saw the edges peeking out white.
The rest of the time i don't notice it at all.
I know that bleed is a persistent LCD problem, however I'm just trying to see if its a bad one or not. Thanks to everyone for the input so far, really really appreciate it, considering I'm an H forum noob.

I'm gonna grab my friends camera this weekend and do an evaluation of what my screen actually looks like. Is there a specific ISO and exposure time i need to set the camera to reflect a valid picture?

Caine, I'll do that as well. Shoot pics of different brightness levels, etc. thanks for the tip.

Anybody know if there's a quick way to switch between inputs? I just setup my Mac Mini as an input on the second DVI input (my PC is on DVI #1) and I'd like to be able toggle back and forth quickly. Going through the front menus is kind of annoying. Didn't know if there was a way to configure hotkeys with some software or something.

Thanks!

Just to follow up on my situation.

I took some pictures in my room, pitch black at night.
I had the ISO at 1600 and the shutter was about 3 seconds. I was using a Canon EOS 20D.

What i discovered was that there was way more bleeding then i expected.
I took pictures at 50 brightness and at 0, and both turned out pretty bad.

I went to install the camera into my pc, and apparently canon doesn't have drivers for vista 64. Fail.

So I called up Dell, and should be getting another one soon, hopefully with less of a problem then this one.

I will post pics as soon as i can, if anyone cares.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Canon's included CD with both DSLR and point-and-shoot cameras work both on Vista x64 and XP x64 for me, in addition to their 32 bit versions.

With my job, I work with loads of SD cards from Canon cameras, and they always transfer well, so long as I first install the "EOS utility" or "Canon Camera Window" or "Zoom Browser" that came with the cameras. All three programs are free downloads from the web site too if the CD is lost.

Canon's included CD with both DSLR and point-and-shoot cameras work both on Vista x64 and XP x64 for me, in addition to their 32 bit versions.

With my job, I work with loads of SD cards from Canon cameras, and they always transfer well, so long as I first install the "EOS utility" or "Canon Camera Window" or "Zoom Browser" that came with the cameras. All three programs are free downloads from the web site too if the CD is lost.

Ah, thanks. I borrowed this camera from a friend and he didn't include the cd.
Funny how you mention card readers, I totally forgot that this monitor has a fully functional one on its side. lol, stupid me.

I'll give those utilities a try.

hi..

ive gone and bought one, after doing quite a bit of browsing online about it (including this forum).

now im not any sort of expert on these things, so it would be great if someone could clear this up for me.

when im watching a movie, during totally dark sequences, for example: title sequences, i can see the movie frame as not being totally black. but the area outside the frame: two bars on top and bottom remain very dark.

is this how it should be?

in brighter scenes this is of course not a problem, but when the majority of the frame is in the darkness its very easily seen the difference in blackness between the movie frame and the rest of the monitor.

tell me if this is normal.

thanks.

The problem likely does not lie in the display but in the movie itself. The black level on the movie likely isn't as dark as the monitor can show and therefore you see much darker black in the areas where the movie does not use the screen. If it were a problem with the display, you likely wouldn't see anything darker than the movie itself anywhere on the screen.

yeah, that was my assumption as well.. but how do i get that perfect black within the movie??
i heard very good things about the black levels the monitor was capable of..

fyi, i was using the 1080 HD trailer for the dark knight, when i noticed this.
im assuming that the video would be high quality?

it would be helpful if someone could let know of any calibration software, or maybe even hardware that wouldnt be too heavy on the wallet. thanks.

:D

yeah, that was my assumption as well.. but how do i get that perfect black within the movie??
i heard very good things about the black levels the monitor was capable of..

fyi, i was using the 1080 HD trailer for the dark knight, when i noticed this.
im assuming that the video would be high quality?

it would be helpful if someone could let know of any calibration software, or maybe even hardware that wouldnt be too heavy on the wallet. thanks.

:D

If you are watching it from the PC, then the PC is the issue. If you are watching it from a PS3 or other BluRay type standalone player, then try experimenting with different modes on the screen. The screen will sometimes vary the black level a bit based on the pre-set you are using.

just wanted to say that the problem is fixed. on the graphic settings, picking the multimedia preset does solve it 90 percent, and the video mode does it even better.

but thanks again, and 10e hit it right on the spot.

Back