Dell 2709W

120 with 36 cash back for the 3850 agp card, should I jump on it? I should prob post this in the video card section so please move it if need be.

Anyone with this monitor having issues of getting it to "wake up" when switching from hdmi? I have the 360 connected to it, and I notice that when i switch to hdmi, then come back it says "there is no signal coming from your computer , press any key to wake it or switch to another source", then it goes into power save mode?? I'm sure its something simple i just can't figure it out.

Finally ordered one just now.
Upgraded from a Westinghouse 37w3.
Can't wait to get it.

I've found that switching on Dynamic Contrast does nothing...

Do yours work? Is it because I'm in the Graphics mode? But then again when I plugged in a HD-DVD player where you couldn't set the monitor on "Graphics", the Dynamic Contrast still didn't seem to kick in also neither did the audio pass thru :( via HDMI, though audio pass thru works when its HDMI from my laptop..

I am still waiting for Dell to send me a replacement screen as my current one has poor colour uniformity. To the few UK buyers with Rev A01 from Czech, are your screen's colour uniform and doesn't bleed colour at edges?

How are you guys getting sound to play on the 2709 via xbox when hooked up via hdmi?

a01, october 2008, made in mexico. This thing is amazing!! I can pretty much see everything without moving my eyes that much:cool:

is there a sticker on the outside of the box stating the rev?

or

does the box have to be opened to examine the rev on the back of the monitor?

I've just thought of something, maybe the Dynamic Contrast isn't working because the screen is set to 0% already and at night times I reduce the brightness even further via Nvidia Control Panel?

Ok so I'm hoping its my graphic card, but everytime i switch to HDMI, then try to switch back to DVI-1 it doesn't sense activity and goes into power save mode. It's getting quite annoying. Also anyone try using the PIP? I just wanted to see if it worked for giggles and I cannot select any sources besides composite and component....even though my 360 is hooked up via hdmi. Weird!

Ok so I'm hoping its my graphic card, but everytime i switch to HDMI, then try to switch back to DVI-1 it doesn't sense activity and goes into power save mode. It's getting quite annoying. Also anyone try using the PIP? I just wanted to see if it worked for giggles and I cannot select any sources besides composite and component....even though my 360 is hooked up via hdmi. Weird!

It is pretty well known that PIP only works with analog signals; composit, component, and VGA. Sucky, but that is how it is.

Dave

AV connectors and PS3

The cool thing about this monitor is that the AV connectors have some features which make them very useful. BTW the HDMI connector has full range HDMI and no problem with black level so I don't know why PRAD.DE was concerned with that. Some presets change the darkness of blacks in both video and graphics mode, but there is always a usable mode either in graphics or video mode for HDMI and component.

For example, the HDMI connector has a graphics mode and a video mode and it can be manually switched for all progressive (non-interlaced) modes. I like this because it allows the monitor to be forced into 16:9 mode (ie. for 480p), 1:1, fill, and aspect display modes. The graphics mode has ZERO overscan, and the video mode has about 2.5% which is still acceptable.

Both modes have fill aspect ratios, but graphics mode has a 1:1 and "aspect" mode, whereas the video mode does 4:3 or 16:9 so any content can be made into 16:9 ratio by switching the monitor into video mode and changing to 16:9. The component connector only does video mode for Wii or other component sources (giving 4:3 and 16:9 settings)

Watching a DVD from a DVD player through component should be fairly close in quality to your favorite TV, though with less video processing resulting in some graininess or noise.

When playing the 360 over hdmi, which is the best setting to run video or graphics mode? I was hoping you could post your settings as a starting point for myself. Also, when watching a dvd, which mode do you run video or graphics? Thanks in advance 10e or anyone that responds.

It is pretty well known that PIP only works with analog signals; composit, component, and VGA. Sucky, but that is how it is.

Dave

I definitely didn't know that and in the manual there is a picture showing that one is able to select HDMI as the PIP source. Tricky little boogers they are.

Those of you with dual setups, how do you go about dealing with the color differences? Anyone any closer to posting some accurate color settings for this beast?

To the few UK buyers with Rev A01 from Czech, are your screen's colour uniform and doesn't bleed colour at edges?
I would say the color uniformity of mine is quite good, tho I have little to compare with of course...
But after calibration the colors where quite uniform I think, with brigthness at 0, with it at 50 I could notice some differences... But who would run the monitor at a brightness of the defualt 50 anyway...?

I run it in graphics mode with either PS3 or Xbox 360 over HDMI. This removes overscan and changes the Aspect ratio settings to 1:1, Fill, Aspect, so with Xbox 360 I use 1:1 @1080p and with PS3 I use aspect because it often plays games at 720p.

I also noticed that "graphics" mode has better black resolution where dark colors are more visible over HDMI so you could set the Xbox to "intermediate" or "expanded" blacks in the 360's video settings. The "video" preset only resolves down to RGB 16,16,16 whereas "graphics" mode goes all the way down to zero, allowing for a wider dynamic range with HDMI.

I regularly change presets. The "game" preset works well for dark games as it raises the black level a touch and allows dark grey and color to be more apparent, but it also makes the black look a bit lighter. The "standard" works ok too.

Video mode works fine too, if you need 480p and want to specifically set the aspect ratio @ 16:9 or 4:3, which are not available in "graphics" mode.

About the "sound" thing you can hook up a pair of computer speakers to the green headphone jack on the back of the screen and the screen will take the HDMI audio from the Xbox and funnel it to the speakers, or you can (as mentioned before) get a speaker bar for the monitor which fulfills the same function. Additionally you can use all the headphone jacks and connect them to a surround sound receiver similarly to a SoundBlaster Audigy's set up (or surround sound from a motherboard).

Hope that helps.

When playing the 360 over hdmi, which is the best setting to run video or graphics mode? I was hoping you could post your settings as a starting point for myself. Also, when watching a dvd, which mode do you run video or graphics? Thanks in advance 10e or anyone that responds.

Has anyone had issues with "waking' this monitor when it goes to sleep? I have my monitor set to shut off after 30 mins of non use, when I come back to the computer i cannot wake it via keyboard or mouse when it is in power save mode... suggestions?

I don't think your monitor is the cause.
I have the same problem and I don't have this monitor. It started to happen ever since I installed a new motherboard.

I run it in graphics mode with either PS3 or Xbox 360 over HDMI. This removes overscan and changes the Aspect ratio settings to 1:1, Fill, Aspect, so with Xbox 360 I use 1:1 @1080p and with PS3 I use aspect because it often plays games at 720p.

I also noticed that "graphics" mode has better black resolution where dark colors are more visible over HDMI so you could set the Xbox to "intermediate" or "expanded" blacks in the 360's video settings. The "video" preset only resolves down to RGB 16,16,16 whereas "graphics" mode goes all the way down to zero, allowing for a wider dynamic range with HDMI.

I regularly change presets. The "game" preset works well for dark games as it raises the black level a touch and allows dark grey and color to be more apparent, but it also makes the black look a bit lighter. The "standard" works ok too.

Video mode works fine too, if you need 480p and want to specifically set the aspect ratio @ 16:9 or 4:3, which are not available in "graphics" mode.

About the "sound" thing you can hook up a pair of computer speakers to the green headphone jack on the back of the screen and the screen will take the HDMI audio from the Xbox and funnel it to the speakers, or you can (as mentioned before) get a speaker bar for the monitor which fulfills the same function. Additionally you can use all the headphone jacks and connect them to a surround sound receiver similarly to a SoundBlaster Audigy's set up (or surround sound from a motherboard).

Hope that helps.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the details , helps a nub like me understand better instead of just doing.

I don't think your monitor is the cause.
I have the same problem and I don't have this monitor. It started to happen ever since I installed a new motherboard.
Just to let you know, I updated the drivers for my vid card to the latest and now I am not having the sleep issue :) Just waiting on my 3850 card now, should be here tomorrow :)

Just got mine yesterday. Man this thing is big. :)
So far it seems perfect. No dead or stuck pixels, no weird tints at zero brightness and colors are very good. The colors are a lil too oversaturated for my liking though, but i can live with that. As for lag, whatever may be present in this one, i cant feel it so i wont be doing any tests to see if i can pick it out. I do however notice some horizontal gamma shifting when viewing H forum but its not distracting. Overall, i think this was an excellent purchase for me and i'll be enjoying it for a long while.
Also, its a Rev A02 made in Mexico, October.

Hello guys ,
i ' received mine few days ago.It s a RevA01 from Czech Republic.
Overall image quality is ok despite some minor BLB issues on the top corners.
But my main concern is the input lag.
Plugged onto the DVI port I've mesured it to 42 ms average compare to a viewsonic LCD ( vx912) .It gives unpleasant sluggish feel to monitor just by moving the mouse pointer.
Did someone has try to mesure the input lag using HDMi or Display port ?
I have no appropriate connection to test them and i'd be greatful if some could give some infos about that.

Fanch_

Anyone having problems with their built in card readers? Mine dont work. They show up but will not read anything.
OK, thats fixed now, uninstalled them and let windows reinstall. :)

Also, anyone else recieve a bum driver cd? Mine is blank! :confused:

Ok, so curiousity got the best of me and i decided to run some lag tests. To my dismay i got some nasty results. An average of 55ms. 47ms being the lowest, 63ms being the highest and more common number. Now ive had a play with a lag simulator (and 2408 A00) and this 2709 i have feels nowhere near as sluggish as +55ms lag should feel. Whats up with that?
I vaguely remember reading that nvidia cards can introduce lag, im using a 7900gs, could this be the problem?

Yea, thats the one ive played with. It doesnt feel as sluggish as 63ms feels in that simulator. Oh well, its not bothering me. :)

Question for those with proper calibration tools:
How far off are the colors for the Adobe RGB preset? I switced over to it today and it feels a lot less harsh on the eyes (regaurd to wide gamut) than the others and the custom setting i had.

For those of you that have ordered/used a calibrator with the screen, what calibrator do you recommend?
I'm considering the Eye One Display 2 since I've read good things about it, but I'm open to other options.
This will be used to calibrate a dual-LCD setup with two different Dell LCDs ... the new 2709W and an old 19" Dell 1905FP ... so if the software with the calibrator can handle both LCDs that would be ideal.

Thanks!

When using this for Xbox360 over hdmi, does the picture take up the full screen or is there black bars?

Maybe its Me,or my logitech g9 mouse reduces the mouse lag some people claim to see,but however hard I try I cant pick this up.and im glad:)

Just got my A02 in yesterday. I was wondering what is the best way to connect the monitor to my computer for the best picture? I have a 8800GT akimbo.

Also should I install the drivers from the included disk or is there something more recent? Right now the monitor is just plugged in. Thanks. I'm excited to play with this soon.

Question for those with proper calibration tools:
How far off are the colors for the Adobe RGB preset? I switced over to it today and it feels a lot less harsh on the eyes (regaurd to wide gamut) than the others and the custom setting i had.

I took 10e's advice and bought an EyeOne Display 2 from Amazon and I am very pleased with the tools and the results. I have not tested the aRGB preset, but I can already tell you it is nowhere close to 6500K. I calibrated the Custom RGB preset and got a white point of 6500K exactly, with color settings of r=98, g=90, and b=99. The colors are oversaturated, but accurate. This will vary between one monitor and the next, and the graphics card matters as well. I am running a MSI 8600GT.

With all of that said I like and use the Adobe RGB preset, because the colors are easier on the eyes. I will not have time to check it further until this weekend. Hopefully 10e will chime in on this too. He has a lot more experience with this stuff then I do.

I hope this info helps

Dave

Maybe its Me,or my logitech g9 mouse reduces the mouse lag some people claim to see,but however hard I try I cant pick this up.and im glad:)

That would be cool if it did, but i doubt it does. :D
When i ran mine in stretch mode and spanned windows across both the lcd and crt, i could detect the lag while dragging between the 2 but it was very minimal. Nowhere near as bad as ive seen in some youtube demonstrations. Its impossible for me to detect it without a crt reference set up next to the lcd.
The lag numbers i got from the tests i ran where very poor so I picked up a Y splitter and will try again with that instead of nvidias clone mode. Im just really curious about the actual numbers. :)

Mantras, connect it through dvi and set the monitor to 1:1. As for the driver, i dont know what it does but my disc was bad so i dont have a driver and mine works just fine.

I took 10e's advice and bought an EyeOne Display 2 from Amazon and I am very pleased with the tools and the results. I have not tested the aRGB preset, but I can already tell you it is nowhere close to 6500K. I calibrated the Custom RGB preset and got a white point of 6500K exactly, with color settings of r=98, g=90, and b=99. The colors are oversaturated, but accurate. This will vary between one monitor and the next, and the graphics card matters as well. I am running a MSI 8600GT.

With all of that said I like and use the Adobe RGB preset, because the colors are easier on the eyes. I will not have time to check it further until this weekend. Hopefully 10e will chime in on this too. He has a lot more experience with this stuff then I do.

I hope this info helps

Dave

Thanks Dave, i actually went back to custom RGB after using Adobe RGB for a day, the colors where just too far off, greens especially looked pretty bad to me. I'll just have to get used to the wide gamut.
Thanks again

This is my 2nd monitor from Dell, the first had problems with colour leakage on right side of screen and is going back tomorrow.

However even the 2nd one isn't perfect, it's darkish around the edges but it's not as noticable as the first one.

However what can be noticable is this:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2egh15g.jpg

The left is lighter than the right. Though this isn't hugely obvious usually.

Confusingly however, I also get this:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2dkiki9.jpg

Left doens't seem lighter at all.

I also can't notice any very obvious uniformity issues using DeadPixelTesters coloured screens.

So.. should I try my luck with a 3rd one or should I just stick with this and stop looking for any fault with a camera? I think I've heard complaints about the Dells being light on the left than right, that seems to be a sort of widepread manufacturing thing?

Anyways what do your guys think with your 2709s?

Btw, I prefer Adobe RGB preset

Back