Deathloop (Arkane Studios)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
at Bethesda's E3 conference today Arkane Studios, responsible for Dishonored and Prey, announced a new game: Deathloop...it's a first-person action game set on an island called Black Reef...the main characters are two assassins stuck in a timeloop, Groundhog Day-style, that begins again when they die...one wants to end the loop, one wants to preserve it, and both of them are out to kill each other...

Last edited:
Deathloop delayed to mid-2021

Arkane Studios announced today that, because of the difficulties of developing a game in the midst of a global pandemic, it's been forced to push the release to the second quarter of 2021...

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1295722189203832843

DL.jpg

Deathloop delayed to mid-2021

Arkane Studios announced today that, because of the difficulties of developing a game in the midst of a global pandemic, it's been forced to push the release to the second quarter of 2021...

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1295722189203832843

View attachment 270911

At this point, I'm more surprised when games don't get delayed due to dealing with pandemic related issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see it effect some 2021 games as well.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this game based on what I've seen. The quirky aspect is take it or leave it. It doesn't do much for me. Gameplay looks good. I see some of the Arkane signatures but what I'm wondering about is abilities, variety of gameplay, any stealth, depth, use your brain or is it just run hack shoot and use parlor tricks? (I'm a huge Dishonored fan. Prey was ok.)

I think this game looks like a ton of fun, but the graphics are decidedly "last gen." During the entire PS5 presentation I kept thinking they could put this on the PS4 as-is.
Still, it's Arkane, and I'm a huge fan. I'm willing to give the graphics a pass if it's an exciting game.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So far it seems like combat is the focus, which looks great if you can pull it off (like, check out Stealthgamerbr on YouTube, etc.) but I'm waiting until I see some other immersive sim details like pure stealth or other ways of dispatching enemies/objectives.

like this
DEATHLOOP– Official Launch Date Reveal

Launching May 21, 2021 as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive and on PC...

The price isn't a problem for me.

My concern is: I understand they don't want to be stuck making Dishonored clones (although we need more games like these)... I am just not feeling quite sold on what I'm seeing here. The art style is kind of hit and miss for me. The concept is hit and miss. Everything I've seen about this suggests a game heavily bent towards the kinetic action and I can't tell how much depth of gameplay is here. Can I explore? Can I do any stealth? Or is just grind, run, shoot, and kill with some parlor tricks? I'm a big Arkane fan so I want to get on board for this thing but I'm just not there yet.

Seconded (thirded?). OG Prey was great, the new one is really good but doesn't feel like a sequel.

But on topic: I love the concept of Deathloop, but don't think I'll like it from what I'm seeing. It seems like you are going to have to play over and over trying to figure out how to get the targets to line up in a manner that makes them vulnerable to being taken out in clumps or all at once. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are multiple paths to breaking the loop.

To be fair- if you watch Dishonored's original teaser () vs what the game turned out to be, it is quite different- and I enjoyed what I played. I'm hopeful that there are a lot more nuances in what the gameplay is actually like.

That said, I'm meh on the asymmetrical multiplayer. Wasn't that supposedly part of DOOM Eternal's SP campaign?

like this
Jeebus, this looks like it may be freakin amazing.

Dishonered 3 x NOLF x ?

I had this preordered but wasn't totally sure so I refunded looks like 70s James Bond vibe with different types of textures going from one environment to the next. Looks more fun than COD that one map looks like a COD AW map.

Last edited:
At least I finally saw some indicators of potential stealth in this. I am interested because this is Arkane and even Lyon which did the Dishonored games... but I admit to not being fully sold yet. GMG sent me a 20 percent off on preorder and I'm considering it.

Last edited:
don't think I'll like it from what I'm seeing. It seems like you are going to have to play over and over trying to figure out how to get the targets to line up in a manner that makes them vulnerable to being taken out in clumps or all at once. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are multiple paths to breaking the loop.
Yeah this seems like it has the potential to be tedious if one is more interested in just the stealth-action elements.

The thing about the Arkane games I've played (Dishonored series, Prey) is I found them most enjoyable when I didn't know the maps so well, since it added to the novelty of the environments and tension of enemy encounters. Once I'd played through them though in subsequent plays (of Dishonored at least, wasn't that fond of Prey) it became clearer the maps weren't as complex while also being less threatening.

I wonder if I would share the same feeling after being forced to replay the same areas over and over.

Yeah this seems like it has the potential to be tedious if one is more interested in just the stealth-action elements.

The thing about the Arkane games I've played (Dishonored series, Prey) is I found them most enjoyable when I didn't know the maps so well, since it added to the novelty of the environments and tension of enemy encounters. Once I'd played through them though in subsequent plays (of Dishonored at least, wasn't that fond of Prey) it became clearer the maps weren't as complex while also being less threatening.

I wonder if I would share the same feeling after being forced to replay the same areas over and over.

I can't disagree with that but somehow overall I consider the Dishonored games classics. I do not have that expectation for this.

It is an interesting concept. I assume people should be able to figure it out with 2-3 runs though. And as long as they do things to keep it fresh (different starting areas and the like) it can work.

Deathloop’s Game Director shares new details

In a recent interview with Game Informer, Game Director Dinga Bakaba shared some new information regarding the game...the game takes place in Black Reef Island, which is quite small and remote compared to Karnaca from the Dishonored series...players will be able to freely explore the island at their leisure and find collectibles

at any point players can restart the time loop by exiting the mission. Also, there is no pacifist way to complete the game...this is first and foremost a murder puzzle...

like this
So is this about playing the same map over and over again where dying is part of the game, not a failure? The gameplay seems 100% like dishonored, but without knowing the basic concept of the game I'm definitely not jumping on it. At first I thought this was a multiplayer game.

That level design is tight much like something you would see in Styx Master of Shadows.

I still have no idea if I'm going to like this, but the level design is amazing, and those weapons look wonderfully realistic.

Back