Dead Space remake (2023)

Back on topic. My earlier comment about DLSS not looking right with some backgrounds looks like it may be VRS as the cause. I saw digital foundry mention this in the DF direct today and also this video from IGN talks about it. And there is no option to disable VRS which is crazy.

Looks like their answering some prayers.
1675097064241.png

Can't watch that for a shift and a few extra hours, what's VRS?
Variable-rate shading.

I think the Demon's Souls remake is the overall best but Dead Space is right up there...keeping things faithful to the original while enhancing the visuals and making changes that don't change the gameplay or spirit

hopefully the upcoming Resident Evil 4 remake can do the same

Looks like a small patch just deployed.... Dunno what it does??

EDIT: Here we are -
Dead Space Patch Notes – January 30, 2023
  • Addressed PS5 performance related issues.
  • Added a new option to disable VRS on PC.
  • Addressed various glitches and bugs.
  • Addressed an issue related to black screen issue.
  • Added stability and performance fixes.
  • Added general stability fixes.
- Overall pretty happy with this remake. Utilizing rig in sig, I'm at 1080p/FSR2/everything High at locked 60 fps.

(Actually picked up a fresh Xbox controller on my way home as a treat since my old one was developing some mighty strong "stick drift")

Last edited:
Looks like a small patch just deployed.... Dunno what it does??

EDIT: Here we are -
Dead Space Patch Notes – January 30, 2023
  • Addressed PS5 performance related issues.
  • Added a new option to disable VRS on PC.
  • Addressed various glitches and bugs.
  • Addressed an issue related to black screen issue.
  • Added stability and performance fixes.
  • Added general stability fixes.
- Overall pretty happy with this remake. Utilizing rig in sig, I'm at 1080p/FSR2/everything High at locked 60 fps.

(Actually picked up a fresh Xbox controller on my way home as a treat since my old one was developing some mighty strong "stick drift")
Weird that you wouldn't use a mouse when precision aiming is key.

Following the disastrous launch of The Callisto Protocol, fans are now apprehensive about Dead Space suffering a similar fate, especially regarding the now-infamous shader stutter

Luckily, upon launching the game for the first time, you will be greeted by a message saying 'loading shaders'. That alone immediately signaled that Motive Studios did not make the same mistake as Striking Distance Studios. However, shader stutter is not the only form of stuttering. I would really love to say that Dead Space was completely free of stutters, but that's just not true

On my configuration (Intel i7 12700KF, RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), stutters happen on a fairly regular basis, even with DLSS 2/Super Resolution enabled. I've manually benchmarked (and captured with Shadowplay) a 14-minute-long gameplay session from the first Chapter with NVIDIA's FrameView software; as you can see from the table below, the average frame rate was very high at just over 144 FPS, but the game's minimum frame rate went as low as 15 frames per second...

https://wccftech.com/dead-space-pc-remake-port-is-middling-in-both-visuals-and-performance/

immediately after launch with most sites praising the graphics and performance Wccftech was one of the only places that mentioned issues with the visuals and stutter...with the removal of VRS in the latest patch, looks like they were right as later confirmed by other sites...Wccftech gets a lot of hate for some reason but they are pretty good with their reviews and analysis...they're no Hardware Unboxed or Digital Foundry in terms of in-depth analysis but they are also not as bad as a lot of people would lead you to believe

1st play through completed, now doing NG+

The last half of the game played using the patch. DLSS Quality and VRS off. Had the game locked at 85fps 3440x1440 Ultra preset. Completely solid regardless of what's going on. 85fps because my GPU remains quiet, and the gameplay is super smooth anyway. A few area entry stutters still remain but it's only when entering some areas so I just learned to ignore them.

Visually stunning, the sound direction is immense too. Beats the original in every way as already mentioned.

VRS off with DLSS Quality on = Almost as sharp as native TAA. The difference is so small that the framerate boost is worth the tradeoff. It's much better than before the patch. you actually have to look for the slightly lower sharpness now whereas it was obvious before.

Big gallery below with gifs etc.

Picked this up hope it doesn't blow away Calisto Protocol it doesn't help both games basically came out the same time.

Like the game it's not as Fluid as Calisto Protocol but compact when I played Deadspace in 2008- 2009 it was so Dark lol they fixed that part it's still dark but it's suppose to be like that. I didn't get far in the original game as all I got stuck at a certain section really early on in the game back like 14 years ago. Really would like to try the game on a Oled but people are saying the 27" OLED is too Dark but I think it's manageable.

20230201085305_1.jpg

Like the game it's not as Fluid as Calisto Protocol but compact when I played Deadspace in 2008- 2009 it was so Dark lol they fixed that part it's still dark but it's suppose to be like that. I didn't get far in the original game as all I got stuck at a certain section really early on in the game back like 14 years ago. Really would like to try the game on a Oled but people are saying the 27" OLED is too Dark but I think it's manageable.

View attachment 545834
The original PC version of Dead Space had a bug with the brightness level when running full screen where everything was too bright. If you're having issues with the brightness then use the in-game adjustment to set it correctly by following the on-screen instructions.

Forcing Resizable BAR on make a HUGE difference. I was a bit skeptical of this Reddit post since OP never took photos in the exact same spot... but I tried myself by loading a save and NOT moving my character at all. It is the real deal. I'm seeing a ~30% gain. My results (stating ranges ranges because they seem to rapidly vary +/- a few fps just standing still).

ReBAR off: low to mid 140 fps
ReBAR on: high 180 fps

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/10qz07t/resizable_bar_boosted_fps_in_dead_space_remake_up/

Forcing Resizable BAR on make a HUGE difference. I was a bit skeptical of this Reddit post since OP never took photos in the exact same spot... but I tried myself by loading a save and NOT moving my character at all. It is the real deal. I'm seeing a ~30% gain. My results (stating ranges ranges because they seem to rapidly vary +/- a few fps just standing still).

ReBAR off: low to mid 140 fps
ReBAR on: high 180 fps

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/10qz07t/resizable_bar_boosted_fps_in_dead_space_remake_up/

from that same thread...why doesn't Nvidia just enable ReBAR for all games?...the answer from an Nvidia rep:

"It is not so straightforward. We test games across multiple levels and across each new build of a game before release. So while some users may see a bump in performance in one level/map, if you try a different level/map, the game assets might be quite different and users may not benefit as much or, worse, experience a regression in FPS/frame times.

As for the Dead Space remake, we are still testing ReBAR performance, so there is a chance we may enable it in a future driver"

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Back