Dead Space remake (2023)

It may not happen on all configurations.
It happens to some degree on EVERY setup. Even the consoles stutter in the same spots but just not as severe. I know exactly where it is going to stutter when I run through areas. How in the hell someone can not see it is just amazing.

It happens to some degree on EVERY setup. Even the consoles stutter in the same spots but just not as severe. I know exactly where it is going to stutter when I run through areas. How in the hell someone can not see it is just amazing.
I don't know. I haven't played the game myself. I'm normally sensitive to this kind of thing so that doesn't sound good to me at all.

I don't know. I haven't played the game myself. I'm normally sensitive to this kind of thing so that doesn't sound good to me at all.
I have over 20 hours on pc and over 15 hours on the X so I know the stutter areas very well. Now the amount of stutter can vary a bit depending on exact pc and monitor setup. Gsync makes the stutters much more noticeable to me and in fact just panning around has tiny bit of jitter compared to normal vsync. The few people brave enough to try back up their claims of it not stuttering by posting videos only made fools of themselves as their videos had obvious stutters.

I have over 20 hours on pc and over 15 hours on the X so I know the stutter areas very well. Now the amount of stutter can vary a bit depending on exact pc and monitor setup. Gsync makes the stutters much more noticeable to me and in fact just panning around has tiny bit of jitter compared to normal vsync. The few people brave enough to try back up their claims of it not stuttering by posting videos only made fools of themselves as their videos had obvious stutters.
Not everyone is sensitive to stuttering. I don't know how people can miss that but some people don't seem to notice shit frame rates, stutters or even certain visual anomalies.

I had a few times where you could tell the game was loading and it chugged for a moment. Not enough for me to care though, the game is excellent. My only regret is I played it on my Neo G7 and the HDR on my S90C I just got would've been perfect. Not that Neo G7 is bad, just not as good.

I had a few times where you could tell the game was loading and it chugged for a moment. Not enough for me to care though, the game is excellent. My only regret is I played it on my Neo G7 and the HDR on my S90C I just got would've been perfect. Not that Neo G7 is bad, just not as good.
99% of the stutters in the game are traversal stutters. You can run back and forth and watch it stutter over and over at the trigger point. I know when I go down a hall where and how bad each stutter will be every single time no matter which direction. Both Star Wars games do basically the same thing.

You see stuttering in every game. It's either your build or you are very sensitive to it. My kids have almost the exact same build and one says he has stuttering and the other doesn't. Just one of those things.

You see stuttering in every game. It's either your build or you are very sensitive to it. My kids have almost the exact same build and one says he has stuttering and the other doesn't. Just one of those things.
Every game I see stutter in are the games that are well known to have it. FFS the games I just mentioned are notorious for the stutters. And please not the it must be your PC BS. The same games stutter in the same place on all the different setups I have used and there are tons of videos from others showing it. Do you even bother to watch Digital Foundry? There are always mentioning all the games with stuttering. And I also said that Dead Space even stutters on the consoles in the same spots.

Last edited:
Every game I see stutter in are the games that are well known to have it. FFS the games I just mentioned are notorious for the stutters. And please not the it must be your PC BS. The same games stutter in the same place on all the different setups I have used and there are tons of videos from others showing it. Do you even bother to watch Digital Foundry? There are always mentioning all the games with stuttering. And I also said that Dead Space even stutters on the consoles in the same spots.
Like I said, some people are very sensitive to it and some are not. I am not saying that you aren't experiencing it, but some people may not notice it.

This was also covered by DF in their worst PC ports launches list. Noting that some games got dramatically fixed on PC after 3 months-ish of patching and some games like Dead Space, never got its performance issues fixed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnw5zxmMxs

Skip to 20:26 if you specifically want commentary for Dead Space.

EDIT: Oh, the video at the top of this page from polonyC2 is actually just an edit of the video I just posted, but just the Dead Space part. I suppose feel free to ignore this post then, or watch the entire video to see how Dead Space fits in context.

Last edited:
Stutters are there. However, not enough to create 49 min rant videos about obvious things.

These stupid YouTubers need to learn to summarize.

Stutters are there. However, not enough to create 49 min rant videos about obvious things.
Their site is about how games run so they are of course going to cover performance issues in depth. You not being bothered by it or having shitty low standards does not change the fact that these game issues have been very frustrating.

Their site is about how games run so they are of course going to cover performance issues in depth. You not being bothered by it or having shitty low standards does not change the fact that these game issues have been very frustrating.
It isn't a low standard to not care about a 0.5s stutter every so often instead of having a full load screen. This seems like your pet peeve... let it go. No need to rant and rave with tons of profanity over it.

It isn't a low standard to not care about a 0.5s stutter every so often instead of having a full load screen. This seems like your pet peeve... let it go. No need to rant and rave with tons of profanity over it.
The traversal stutters seem to have nothing to with otherwise having a load screen or not. You can encounter those back to back in one short hallway within seconds of each other. And it absolutely is low standards not to care especially when you have a very high end pc because you wanted the best experience.

Last edited:
Considering that there is no way around them even on a 4090, I'd say it's a fairly significant problem. People pay a huge amount of money to want to play games with not just good fidelity but also good fluidity. And it's frustrating to say the least when there is nothing an end user can do to get full fluidity in these unoptimized titles. If you spent the <10 minutes to watch the DF video posted at the top of this page from polonyc2, then you'd know that literally everyone will get them in this game, in the same places, every time, and there isn't a way to prevent it. Just as frustrating is that this problem doesn't exist at all on console.

Does this prevent the game from being a good game? No, but it makes an experience that didn't have to be frustrating, frustrating. And as the DF team highlight: much less fun and much less enjoyable.

EDIT: Cyberpunk which is a much larger seamless world (by probably a factor of 50x at least) has zero of these problems and it has much higher graphical fidelity than this game. There is zero excuse for this. It's a poor implementation with poor optimization, period.

Last edited:
Considering that there is no way around them even on a 4090, I'd say it's a fairly significant problem. People pay a huge amount of money to want to play games with not just good fidelity but also good fluidity. And it's frustrating to say the least when there is nothing an end user can do to get full fluidity in these unoptimized titles. If you spent the <10 minutes to watch the DF video posted at the top of this page from polonyc2, then you'd know that literally everyone will get them in this game, in the same places, every time, and there isn't a way to prevent it. Just as frustrating is that this problem doesn't exist at all on console.

Does this prevent the game from being a good game? No, but it makes an experience that didn't have to be frustrating, frustrating. And as the DF team highlight: much less fun and much less enjoyable.
Actually it does have stutters on consoles in their 60 fps modes just no where near as bad as on PC.

EDIT: Cyberpunk which is a much larger seamless world (by probably a factor of 50x at least) has zero of these problems and it has much higher graphical fidelity than this game. There is zero excuse for this. It's a poor implementation with poor optimization, period.

They assumed it is some engine related things, likely the loading/de-loading of assets. Apparently new to Frostbite. FB used to be a good engine and ran fairly well, but this is a newer version and I assume this studio more or less pushed this out the door quickly, and DICE doesn't have the time to fix/rework whatever needs to be done.

99% of the stutters in the game are traversal stutters. You can run back and forth and watch it stutter over and over at the trigger point. I know when I go down a hall where and how bad each stutter will be every single time no matter which direction.

I only saw traversal stutters, nothing I remember in combat or exploring. Other than that it ran pretty much perfect on my rig. SW Jedi Survivor was a different story. It was definitely playable and I finished it but for having a 4090 the performance was uh... lacking for the hardware.

My VZR Headphones sound so good with this game my Maxwell's no so much lack of Bass.

Considering that there is no way around them even on a 4090, I'd say it's a fairly significant problem. People pay a huge amount of money to want to play games with not just good fidelity but also good fluidity. And it's frustrating to say the least when there is nothing an end user can do to get full fluidity in these unoptimized titles. If you spent the <10 minutes to watch the DF video posted at the top of this page from polonyc2, then you'd know that literally everyone will get them in this game, in the same places, every time, and there isn't a way to prevent it. Just as frustrating is that this problem doesn't exist at all on console

the DF guys even stated in their video that it doesn't matter if you have the highest end rig ever created- the stutters will still be there...5 years from now with the RTX 8900 the stutters will still be there...it's an issue with the engine/coding/optimization

I can deal with stutters as long as long as they aren't too frequent...Fallen Order had stutters but it mostly happened in traversal or non-critical situations and the game itself was so great that I could overlook it...the Dead Space remake is in the same boat- some incredible improvements to the original in terms of graphics (lighting) and overall gameplay so even with the stuttering it shouldn't stop anyone from buying the game especially at a nice discount...I still haven't bought the remake yet but plan to eventually when the price hits a certain point

the DF guys even stated in their video that it doesn't matter if you have the highest end rig ever created- the stutters will still be there...5 years from now with the RTX 8900 the stutters will still be there...it's an issue with the engine/coding/optimization

I can deal with stutters as long as long as they aren't too frequent...Fallen Order had stutters but it mostly happened in traversal or non-critical situations and the game itself was so great that I could overlook it...the Dead Space remake is in the same boat- some incredible improvements to the original in terms of graphics (lighting) and overall gameplay so even with the stuttering it shouldn't stop anyone from buying the game especially at a nice discount...I still haven't bought the remake yet but plan to eventually when the price hits a certain point
i got this game when it came out and yeah always had a bit of stuttering...life took over and i haven't played much of it until last night. reminded of the stuttering. good to know that it's not just me. i find the stutters aren't that frequent but can occasionally be quite severe.

overall i don't regret buying it. besides some performance issues they really did an excellent job with the remake. that being said i'm a big fan of the first one, biased opinion for sure!

Motive seems to have abandoned the game as well as there hasn't been a patch in over 10 months...seems like they only released 1 patch

You are probably right I use the USB connector and not direct aux input I'm not sure if I tried them directly in my amp.
They have an amp built-in, use the USB-C dongle they give you. Make it more of a V-curve in the Audeze app and they sound amazing.

The Xbox Series X version really started stuttering pretty bad in latter chapters and there were times where it was choppy as hell. I can't even finish the final boss without it crashing and that seems to be a problem that can happen since launch.

According to Jeff Grubb, EA Motive was working on a Dead Space 2 Remake which was in concept phase but got cancelled/shelved because of the lackluster sales of the first Remake...they are now working on Iron Man and Battlefield

According to Jeff Grubb, EA Motive was working on a Dead Space 2 Remake which was in concept phase but got cancelled/shelved because of the lackluster sales of the first Remake...they are now working on Iron Man and Battlefield
Sounds like the Iron Man game will be Unreal5 and open world. That could be super fun but seems like it's a long way off. Shit in VR that'd blow peoples socks off I bet.

I am having fun with the Dead Space remake.. It's so damn creepy it's hard to play at night sometimes though lol. That said it's a beautiful remake of the original. I haven't experienced any stuttering while paying - or nothing i've noticed enough to make a mental note about.

That's a shame, I wonder what the actual sales figures were like. My guess is they only made like 20-30 million off of it and decided it's not worth their time. The game probably cost 60-80 million to make even with the game mechanics in place. It still has to be ported to another engine, and then you have all of the artist worth that's required and software engineering for building out the requirements in the engine they used.

Maybe the IP will get sold to a smaller company, but I doubt it. DS2 is one of the best horror games ever IMO, I'd love to play through it with the same graphics as DS 1 RM. I feel like the cost would be significantly less, I don't understand why I they can't make it and have a different team make whatever else.

Honestly thinking about it, it really doesn't make sense to cancel it at this point. They've already generated most of the assets and done the hard part porting the code base and building out frostbite to support everything. A second game would cost probably half of what the first one did, maybe less. Look better, play better, and have a significantly higher margin. I'm hoping this story is wrong.

EA has shot down a rumor that a Dead Space 2 remake was in development and cancelled but Jeff Grubb doubled down on his initial report...

"I give you my permission to believe EA if you want, but whenever a company says "that isn't true" but they don't specify which part of the story they are talking about, well ...yeah...Dead Space 2 was definitely being planned. It had a code name. And they aren't making it now"

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1778128923466903868

Honestly thinking about it, it really doesn't make sense to cancel it at this point. They've already generated most of the assets and done the hard part porting the code base and building out frostbite to support everything. A second game would cost probably half of what the first one did, maybe less. Look better, play better, and have a significantly higher margin. I'm hoping this story is wrong.
Yeah wouldn't just be sort of a mod of the first remake?

Yeah wouldn't just be sort of a mod of the first remake?
They'd have to generate the levels and whatever assets that are new for those levels, plus whatever gameplay and system changes that are required. But that's way cheaper than building out all of the infrastructure and art from scratch. They've done most of the heavy lifting. Building out the levels isn't a huge deal either because they have DS 2 to work from.

Sounds like the Iron Man game will be Unreal5 and open world. That could be super fun but seems like it's a long way off. Shit in VR that'd blow peoples socks off I bet.

I am having fun with the Dead Space remake.. It's so damn creepy it's hard to play at night sometimes though lol. That said it's a beautiful remake of the original. I haven't experienced any stuttering while paying - or nothing i've noticed enough to make a mental note about.
I'm not going to ruin it for you but it's certainly there. It's relatively minor thankfully.

Well this is a friggin bummer. Yes the studdering is there, and yes it was annoying, but i still enjoyed the hell out of Dead Space remake. Even on my struggling rig, it actually played ok. I was really looking forward to part 2 remake.

There just isn't that many good PC games coming down the pipe. (Action 3rd person/FPS) I'd upgrade, but why?

DS2 was the one I was looking forward to THE MOST!

(as I'm certain almost everyone else was)

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back